• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

For all you fools drooling over second rate QBs

I will remind you that Tom Donahoe mortgaged the chance to take Aaron Rodgers so he could reach up and grab JP Losman the year before.

Lie in the bed you make.
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Re: For all you fools drooling over second rate QBs

Aaron Rogers also had the benefit of sitting for 3 years and fixing his mechanics, and he sucked his first year starting. In fact after his first year GB thought they missed and took Flynn and the Brohm, Rogers won the job and never looked back. This is a perfect example of letting a QB learn from a vet and develop.

Comment

• Swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
      Aaron Rogers also had the benefit of sitting for 3 years and fixing his mechanics, and he sucked his first year starting. In fact after his first year GB thought they missed and took Flynn and the Brohm, Rogers won the job and never looked back. This is a perfect example of letting a QB learn from a vet and develop.
      Yep - except YOU don't know that they "thought they missed." Obviously they didn't think that.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

And the point of this thread is what?

The Bills have had a few different GMs since Donahoe.

His bed is no longer in WNY.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Not true. JP set the team back at least two years and those years are still relevant. Hell just about every move we make at QB sets us back a couple years ...

Originally posted by better days View Post
          And the point of this thread is what?

The Bills have had a few different GMs since Donahoe.

His bed is no longer in WNY.

Comment

• DesertFox24
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
            Yep - except YOU don't know that they "thought they missed." Obviously they didn't think that.
            the drafted a QB in the second round that year. I will restate and say this, they were unsure and were hedging their bet with Brian Brohm. Whom if you will remember was considered a first round pick his junior year and then sucked his senior year after that one coach left to coach the Falcons for twelve games then took the Arkansas job only to be fired for having an affair with a 20 year old volleyball player. Anyway we all know he sucked. Bottom line is this development helps, players around them help, but they also need a killer instinct. I have no doubt EJ has physical tools to be really good and is very smart and works, but he lacks that killer instinct and the desire to take a chance and fit into a tight spot. I firmly believe EJ's accuracy issues can be fixed with footwork and throwing mechanics drills, but reading the field going through progressions and trusting your preparation are where he lacks and I do not know if that can be fixed.
            Last edited by DesertFox24; 12-09-2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

Thank you, Shiva. They also traded away Lamonica for Tom Florez!!

But actually, you can blame Rooney for the debacle.

The Bills planned on taking the Rapist. The Steelers were going to take an Olineman. Rooney opened his big mouth.

The team had zeroed in on Arkansas offensive tackle Shawn Andrews, but owner Dan Rooney deftly shifted the conversation to Roethlisberger before the Steelers made their pick.

Rooney had good reason to speak up.

The Steelers had built their dynasty in the 1970s -- and transformed an organization once synonymous with losing -- through shrewd drafting.

They had missed an opportunity near the end of Bradshaw's career when they passed on local legend Dan Marino in the 1983 draft and instead selected Texas Tech defensive tackle Gabe Rivera with the 21st pick.

The Dolphins pounced on Marino with the 27th selection, and his strong arm and quick-as-a-hiccup release allowed the Pitt product to become an early star in Miami and eventually a first-ballot Pro Football Hall of Famer.

The Steelers, meanwhile, shuffled through enough quarterbacks in the post-Bradshaw era that seven different players led them in passing from 1983 to 2003.

Rooney fretted that overlooking Roethlisberger also might come back to haunt the Steelers.

"I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect," Rooney wrote in his book "Dan Rooney: My 75 Years With The Pittsburgh Steelers and The NFL."

"So I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger. After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger."

Here is the latest Pittsburgh Steelers' mailbag. If you have a question please send to @ScottBrown_ESPN with the #mail.

The Bills had tried to trade up..but the Steelers wouldn't budge.

Now, if they had offered next year's first to say, the Jags (who took Reggie Williams) or the Texans, (who took Dunta Robinson),...they probably could have gotten the guy they wanted.

Of course...you need ask yourself what they did in the 9 years after drafting him to get a franchise QB?

Losman was gone in like 3 years....what about the other 6?

Comment

• Spartacus
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                Huh? What did I say?
                My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Hindsight is awesome
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Very much so. But I'm certain you, like most at the time, were critical of Donahoe's move.

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by cookie G View Post

But actually, you can blame Rooney for the debacle.

The Bills planned on taking the Rapist. The Steelers were going to take an Olineman. Rooney opened his big mouth.

The team had zeroed in on Arkansas offensive tackle Shawn Andrews, but owner Dan Rooney deftly shifted the conversation to Roethlisberger before the Steelers made their pick.

Rooney had good reason to speak up.

The Steelers had built their dynasty in the 1970s -- and transformed an organization once synonymous with losing -- through shrewd drafting.

They had missed an opportunity near the end of Bradshaw's career when they passed on local legend Dan Marino in the 1983 draft and instead selected Texas Tech defensive tackle Gabe Rivera with the 21st pick.

The Dolphins pounced on Marino with the 27th selection, and his strong arm and quick-as-a-hiccup release allowed the Pitt product to become an early star in Miami and eventually a first-ballot Pro Football Hall of Famer.

The Steelers, meanwhile, shuffled through enough quarterbacks in the post-Bradshaw era that seven different players led them in passing from 1983 to 2003.

Rooney fretted that overlooking Roethlisberger also might come back to haunt the Steelers.

"I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect," Rooney wrote in his book "Dan Rooney: My 75 Years With The Pittsburgh Steelers and The NFL."

"So I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger. After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger."

Here is the latest Pittsburgh Steelers' mailbag. If you have a question please send to @ScottBrown_ESPN with the #mail.

The Bills had tried to trade up..but the Steelers wouldn't budge.

Now, if they had offered next year's first to say, the Jags (who took Reggie Williams) or the Texans, (who took Dunta Robinson),...they probably could have gotten the guy they wanted.

Of course...you need ask yourself what they did in the 9 years after drafting him to get a franchise QB?

Losman was gone in like 3 years....what about the other 6?
                      I don't get this rant from somebody who usually makes well-thought out comments. Flores? Really? That happened before the current 15 year period of futility. So that comment was far off the mark.

And as for 3 years and those other 6: the Losman mistake was the most glaring failure to get a franchise QB in here. Those other 6 were filled in by similar, though perhaps, slightly less galring failures with the likes of Trent Edwards, Kelly Holcomb and the like.

The purpose of my rant was, at the time I am reading all of the posters criticizing Orton, that the Bills fail (time after time) to go out and secure a QB at a time when there are real future franchise QBs in the draft - not when they lose a Fitzpatrick and are literally forced to draft one.

Orton is what he is. He is the best QB the Bills have employed since Bledsoe. His drawbacks were known when he came here. He's not perfect. But he's still the most reliable they've had for many years. He's just a patch.

Comment

• imbondz
                        Democrats are people too
                        • Jan 2003

I'm not clear on who you are saying is a 2nd rate QB. Kaperneck? Bradford? Yes I'd be drooling over both of them. We don't know what's going on in San Fran, there seems to be a lot of internal strife, locker room issues. K led them to the NFC championship 3 years in a row, he's having an off year. The knock on Bradford is he can't stay healthy, but his potential is he could be elite without a doubt.

You're f'in crazy if you wouldn't bring either of them in next season.
                        My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                          Not true. JP set the team back at least two years and those years are still relevant. Hell just about every move we make at QB sets us back a couple years ...
                          So it is not true that the Bills have had a few GMs since Donahoe or that Donahoe no longer has a bed in WNY?

IDIOT.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                            The move that set everything in motion was drafting Todd Collins instead of Rob Johnson in 1995. Think about history would have changed had we done that. As if draft RJ we would have never traded for him and might have even got rid of him sooner than later. I could write a few paragraphs on the subject as it's quite interesting.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                              Very much so. But I'm certain you, like most at the time, were critical of Donahoe's move.
                              I was very happy at the time when the Bills traded up for Losman. Of course, I was sitting in my house because I'm not a professional football talent evaluator. It doesn't matter what we think at the time when the Bills mess up, but when they do, the mistake costs the team for years. These guys are paid to be better than us & if they mess up they should join us in front of our TVs & in the stands & not be allowed to continue to let available difference makers end up on teams a few picks down from the Bills. It seems every year teams like Baltimore outdraft us. That's not by chance, they have better talent evaluators.

Comment

Working...
                              X