PDA

View Full Version : How to make the Bills a 10 win team next year. Simple.

jamze132
12-12-2014, 06:05 AM
1. Bring in Cutler after he's released. He has a bad gig in CHI with a bad defense.

2. Go after O-line hard in FA.

3. Extend Darius and Hughes.

I would say fire Whaley, Marrone, and Hackett but that ain't happening.

It's really that simple folks...

pmoon6
12-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Jay Cutler is Ryan Fitzpatrick/Kyle Orton with a rocket arm.

He still makes poor decisions frequently.

However, it depends on if he wants to play here and how much he will cost.

Cutler is by no means "The Answer" to our QB problem.

mightysimi
12-12-2014, 07:00 AM
I think we already have our quota of strong arm qb's who make bad decisions.

djjimkelly
12-12-2014, 07:19 AM
hes better then orton but that aint saying much

Mr. Miyagi
12-12-2014, 07:27 AM
1. Bring in Cutler after he's released. He has a bad gig in CHI with a bad defense.

2. Go after O-line hard in FA.

3. Extend Darius and Hughes.

I would say fire Whaley, Marrone, and Hackett but that ain't happening.

It's really that simple folks...

I almost completely agree with you but Cutler is not the guy. He's a terrible leader, sort of like a Geno Smith type hangs his head and pouts when he's having a bad day. You don't want him. But yes, a legit QB is definitely what we need.

pmoon6
12-12-2014, 07:31 AM
hes better then orton but that aint saying muchNot really, their stats are pretty much the same.

Cutler: QB rating 91.7 Comp% 66.8 TD/Int ratio 26/15

Orton: 89.2 64.7 14/7

They both have been sacked about the same considering Orton played 4 less games.

better days
12-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Not really, their stats are pretty much the same.

Cutler: QB rating 91.7 Comp% 66.8 TD/Int ratio 26/15

Orton: 89.2 64.7 14/7

They both have been sacked about the same considering Orton played 4 less games.

Like jamze said, the Bears have a TERRIBLE defense.

Cutler is not great, but I think the Bills would have made the playoffs this year if he was the QB.

I don't see anyone better that the Bills have a shot of getting next year.

I would take Cutler next year if the Bears cut him loose & Trestman can come as OC as well.

Ingtar33
12-12-2014, 07:52 AM
cutler is jeff george only with better legs.

he's pretty much hated in every locker room he's been a part of, has zero heart on the football field, and has a better arm then most. He can get you to the playoffs if you have a playoff level team everywhere else, but he'll never carry a team, or make a team better then it is. There is a reason why except for 1 or 2 seasons every team he's QB'ed has failed to make the playoffs (remember, orton took the same denver team that cutler couldn't take to the playoffs, to the playoffs the season following the trade)

pmoon6
12-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Like jamze said, the Bears have a TERRIBLE defense.

Cutler is not great, but I think the Bills would have made the playoffs this year if he was the QB.

I don't see anyone better that the Bills have a shot of getting next year.

I would take Cutler next year if the Bears cut him loose & Trestman can come as OC as well.The defense has nothing to do with QB stats except TD's.

Like Ingtar pointed out, Cutler is a poor leader, some may say a detriment to the team. In that respect, you keep Orton because he is a pretty good leader.

better days
12-12-2014, 08:28 AM
The defense has nothing to do with QB stats except TD's.

Like Ingtar pointed out, Cutler is a poor leader, some may say a detriment to the team. In that respect, you keep Orton because he is a pretty good leader.

If players really do HATE Cutler, I could see that as a reason not to sign him.

But the Bills held Payton Manning to 0 TD's Sunday in Denver.

With a better OC & QB the Bills could have won that game.

pmoon6
12-12-2014, 08:43 AM

With a better OC & QB the Bills could have won that game.The Bills did win that game, at least from my perspective. One of the biggest homejobs I've seen since watching my first game in 1962.

Maybe so, on the OC and QB. Too bad, the utter impatience of Bills' Fans to have a winner gives little opportunity for a new HC or coordinator to grow in the job and have success. We DO need to upgrade at QB, but we also don't know how much progress, if any, Manuel has made as back-up. Another thing impatient fans fail to realize.

You're like little children who don't get what they want immediately.

djjimkelly
12-12-2014, 08:56 AM
cutler is jeff george only with better legs.

he's pretty much hated in every locker room he's been a part of, has zero heart on the football field, and has a better arm then most. He can get you to the playoffs if you have a playoff level team everywhere else, but he'll never carry a team, or make a team better then it is. There is a reason why except for 1 or 2 seasons every team he's QB'ed has failed to make the playoffs (remember, orton took the same denver team that cutler couldn't take to the playoffs, to the playoffs the season following the trade)

speaking of jeff george i cant remember the year but it was at the ralph falcons vs the bills crazy windy day. kelly was floating the ball in warm ups , jeff george was throwing it on a rope i can remember thinking good christ if kelly was machine gun kelly jeff george should be bazooka george, jeff george by far has the strongest arm ive ever seen

Uncle Jesse
12-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Jay Cutler is Ryan Fitzpatrick/Kyle Orton with a rocket arm.

He still makes poor decisions frequently.

However, it depends on if he wants to play here and how much he will cost.

Cutler is by no means "The Answer" to our QB problem.

I disagree. Cutler is in the top 5 in INTs yes, but also in the top 5 for sacked the most. However, he's top 10 in -- yards, TDs, and completion percentage.

People a poster at another board sums it up perfectly for me.

Bears: 32nd-ranking scoring defense
Bills: fourth-ranked scoring defense

Even if Hughes walks, Buffalo's defense will be great again next season. Cutler wouldn't benefit from that in the wins department? The way Cutler's contract is structured - two guaranteed years and then basically a series of one-year deals thereafter - makes him a perfect stopgap. If the Bills get him, they won't have to force the drafting of a QB as long as he's here doing a competent job. Worst-case scenario is that they grow sick of Cutler at any point after two years and then cut ties without any fuss. Unless the Bears' asking price proves ridiculously high (if they even move him), I don't see the downside.

pmoon6
12-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Jeff George was a perfect example of a million dollar arm and a 50 cent head kind of QB.

pmoon6
12-12-2014, 09:02 AM
I disagree. Cutler is in the top 5 in INTs yes, but also in the top 5 for sacked the most. However, he's top 10 in -- yards, TDs, and completion percentage.

People a poster at another board sums it up perfectly for me.
:rofl:

I would take Cutler if the price was right, but there are too many negatives.

Thinking he could be Buffalo's ticket to the Super Bowl is for morons grasping at straws.

Uncle Jesse
12-12-2014, 09:05 AM
:rofl:

I would take Cutler if the price was right, but there are too many negatives.

Thinking he could be Buffalo's ticket to the Super Bowl is for morons grasping at straws.

I'm not sure who is saying he's the ticket to the superbowl? I think he's the best option as a stop gap until we can draft another franchise guy. A talent like Cutler, on this team, with this defense, gets us to the playoffs more likely than not. That's really everyones goal at this point after the last 15 years. I don't really think anyone else out there is gonna be better thats available, unless someone like Brees or Ryan become available which isn't going to happen.

pmoon6
12-12-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure who is saying he's the ticket to the superbowl? I think he's the best option as a stop gap until we can draft another franchise guy. A talent like Cutler, on this team, with this defense, gets us to the playoffs more likely than not. That's really everyones goal at this point after the last 15 years. I don't really think anyone else out there is gonna be better thats available, unless someone like Brees or Ryan become available which isn't going to happen.If all you're looking for is a stop gap QB who is going to mentor a youngster, stay with Orton. You go after a Jay Cutler to be your starter and win in the next two or three years.

Yasgur's Farm
12-12-2014, 09:10 AM
The Bills have already picked up the 2015 option for Marcell Dareus.
7/29/2011: Signed a four-year, $20.407 million contract. The deal is fully guaranteed, including a $13.342 million signing bonus. 2014: $3,157,814, 2015: $8.06 million, 2016: Free Agent
2014 isn't a contract year for Dareus since the Bills exercised his fifth-year team option for 2015, but he's treating it like one.http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6472/marcell-dareus

Uncle Jesse
12-12-2014, 09:15 AM
If all you're looking for is a stop gap QB who is going to mentor a youngster, stay with Orton. You go after a Jay Cutler to be your starter and win in the next two or three years.

Well, actually he would be both. He'd be the bridge to the next franchise guy, and be able to actually get us to the playoffs while this defense is elite. Unless a better option comes along. He would be perfect to keep this team competitive as possible while the defense is great, and then by the time we get our franchise guy in here, our defense will likely not be the same anyway.

His contract is perfect, we can basically cut ties afterwards with no issues. It's a perfect situation for us right now, considering our options, or lack there of.

Bill Cody
12-12-2014, 09:31 AM
The Bears would add a 2nd player if any team would take Cutler for a 7th round pick and get them out from under that contract, not kidding. They know they messed up resigning him. He is the definition of a stats guy but if you watch him play he is a coach/team killer. Will make the key mistake or take the key sack to kill the team's chances. The Bears have excellent weapons on offense, they should be really good. They're not. Stay far far away from Jay Cutler. He's pillow soft and not a leader. I'm not an Orton fan but I'd take Orton all day every day over Cutler.

Uncle Jesse
12-12-2014, 09:51 AM
. I'm not an Orton fan but I'd take Orton all day every day over Cutler.

I think you're in the minority there. Not sure anyone in the NFL loop would agree with that, that's just crazy.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Cutler's attitude is the problem. People can deal with the bad decisions, but absolutely hate his goddamn guts personally. I mean, Chicago fans wanted to crucify him when he couldn't play on a torn MCL.

Bill Cody
12-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I think you're in the minority there. Not sure anyone in the NFL loop would agree with that, that's just crazy.

No it really isn't. I think if you made a poll on a Bears forum on which player they'd rather have (and they've had both) you'd be surprised how soundly Orton would trounce Cutler. Same thing if you polled the players on the Bears. I can't prove this obviously but I do believe it. Cutler has been a massive disappointment in Chicago. I was listening to an interview with the Bears broadcaster and he was trying to be careful what he said but he strongly hinted management would love a mulligan on resigning him.

Bill Cody
12-12-2014, 12:04 PM
The guy I would compare Cutler to in Bills history is Rob Johnson; looks good, nice numbers but simply doesn't have IT

Night Train
12-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Cutler = Cancer

Novacane
12-12-2014, 01:47 PM
You need your QB to be a team leader. Pass

Uncle Jesse
12-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Man people here are comical.

<tbody>
You guys act as if Rodgers, Wilson, and Rivers are all available and we are passing on them in favor of Cutler. Like our options are endless for next season. This defense is going to be wasted with a a guy like Orton who is clearly nothing more than a backup QB at this stage of his career, and he's only getting worse each week.

It's not like he has to be here for 10 years, it's a 1 to 2 year bridge with a guy talented enough, we can acquire, to get this franchise to the playoffs until we can get our real long term option.

Everyone bashing the Cutler idea has yet to offer one single better alternative, other than sticking with Kyle freaking Orton. I'd love to hear your better, realistic ideas.

</tbody>

better days
12-12-2014, 02:47 PM
No it really isn't. I think if you made a poll on a Bears forum on which player they'd rather have (and they've had both) you'd be surprised how soundly Orton would trounce Cutler. Same thing if you polled the players on the Bears. I can't prove this obviously but I do believe it. Cutler has been a massive disappointment in Chicago. I was listening to an interview with the Bears broadcaster and he was trying to be careful what he said but he strongly hinted management would love a mulligan on resigning him.

Those people probably remember the ROOKIE Orton.

The Rookie QB that showed a lot of promise.

Todays Orton is a proven MEDIOCRE Journeyman QB with no promise left at all.

WagonCircler
12-12-2014, 03:01 PM
If Cutler could be what we thought Orton was going to be, then I would definitely take a chance on him, especially since we have very few other options.

A QB and a Defense can help each other. The only thing that keeps the Bills D from being even better than they already are is their crappy Offense and its inability to sustain scoring drives. The Bills D, like any D, gets into trouble when it has to be on the field for too long.

Conversely, Cutler, and all QBs in his situation, suffer when the Defense gives up early leads and forces the QB to take greater risks playing catch-up football.

I have little faith in Orton, who is maddeningly inconsistent. I have ZERO faith in EJ, who flat-out sucks.

Cutler would be an improvement, if the Bills could figure out a way to shore up the Guards. Then they could run a balanced Offense with a real running attack and the threat of a deep ball, thanks to Cutler's cannon.

YardRat
12-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Cutler is no where near as physically gifted as Jeff George was.

Here are my three...only one difference...

1. Hire a new oline coach.
2. Get a quality starting guard in FA.
3. Keep the defense intact.

YardRat
12-12-2014, 04:25 PM

<tbody>
You guys act as if Rodgers, Wilson, and Rivers are all available and we are passing on them in favor of Cutler. Like our options are endless for next season. This defense is going to be wasted with a a guy like Orton who is clearly nothing more than a backup QB at this stage of his career, and he's only getting worse each week.

It's not like he has to be here for 10 years, it's a 1 to 2 year bridge with a guy talented enough, we can acquire, to get this franchise to the playoffs until we can get our real long term option.

Everyone bashing the Cutler idea has yet to offer one single better alternative, other than sticking with Kyle freaking Orton. I'd love to hear your better, realistic ideas.

</tbody>

Change for the sake of change isn't an upgrade.

Every couple of seasons Cutler's name comes up, and every time he crashes and burns.

Pass on Cutler, stick with Orton, fix the oline.

swiper
12-12-2014, 05:09 PM

With a better OC & QB the Bills could have won that game.

Let's talk about the KC and Miami games too. The Bills are close. If they don't screw up the off-season they could be headed for good things.

swiper
12-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Change for the sake of change isn't an upgrade.

Every couple of seasons Cutler's name comes up, and every time he crashes and burns.

Pass on Cutler, stick with Orton, fix the oline.

This. You see what the all the o-line injuries in SF have done for Colin Kaepernick.

BuffaloRedleg
12-12-2014, 05:29 PM
I can't believe people would rather go into next season with Orton rather Cutler. Nobody is saying they'd be a Super Bowl lock but they would be 10x better than right now.

Maybe we deserve the team we get.

swiper
12-12-2014, 05:30 PM
I can't believe people would rather go into next season with Orton rather Cutler. Nobody is saying they'd be a Super Bowl lock but they would be 10x better than right now.

Maybe we deserve the team we get.

Cutler has sucked worse with every game he's played. I can't believe anyone would want that heaping pile of ****.

BuffaloRedleg
12-12-2014, 05:33 PM
Cutler has sucked worse with every game he's played. I can't believe anyone would want that heaping pile of ****.

So, what do you recommend then?

Stay the course?

Great.

Ingtar33
12-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Cutler is no where near as physically gifted as Jeff George was.

Here are my three...only one difference...

1. Hire a new oline coach.
2. Get a quality starting guard in FA.
3. Keep the defense intact.

I never meant to imply cutler had jeff george's arm. I meant he was basically a jeff george clone. He's a guy with a strong arm, who can put up big numbers, and will NEVER WIN ANYWHERE HE GOES. The players on his teams hate him. The coaches hate him. The fans hate him. He doesn't take his job seriously, he's a pure $$ baller.

here is what brian urlacher thinks about jay cutler.
http://beargoggleson.com/2014/10/22/brian-urlacher-rips-jay-cutler/

we'd probably have the same record we do today with cutler in there. only we'd be paying him more money, and ticking off every player on the team in the process.

Uncle Jesse
12-13-2014, 01:26 PM

And you wanna stick with Orton who is getting worse each game and has been the reason we've lost the close games we've been in, like Denver?

swiper
12-13-2014, 02:27 PM

<tbody>

</tbody>

ROFLMAO. You haven't watched Cutler play this season. He gets worse and worse EVERY week. His teammates hate him. The fans HATE him. He's a jack ass.

Oh. And wait. There's the stats. Orton has a lowly 89.2 QB rating while your boy is so much higher at 91.7 with Mark Trestman calling plays.

Now I just sit and wait for the retort .... here it comes .... "stats don't matter." LOL. Idiots.

Cutler has ruined that team.

swiper
12-13-2014, 02:30 PM
And you wanna stick with Orton who is getting worse each game and has been the reason we've lost the close games we've been in, like Denver?

Put two NFL quality guards in front of him and we win that game. And it's kind of stupid to use the most difficult game on the schedule to make such a statement. Cutler LOST to the Bills in CHICAGO. The powerful EJ Manuel and his 16 completions pummeled your boy who was horrific.

better days
12-13-2014, 04:11 PM
ROFLMAO. You haven't watched Cutler play this season. He gets worse and worse EVERY week. His teammates hate him. The fans HATE him. He's a jack ass.

Oh. And wait. There's the stats. Orton has a lowly 89.2 QB rating while your boy is so much higher at 91.7 with Mark Trestman calling plays.

Now I just sit and wait for the retort .... here it comes .... "stats don't matter." LOL. Idiots.

The IDIOTS are those that think stats do matter.

The Denver game is a PERFECT example.

The only stats Orton put up in that game before it was out of reach were PUTRID.

better days
12-13-2014, 04:12 PM

Well, you like stats. here is a stat for you.

Cutler has BETTER stats this year than he did last year.