PDA

View Full Version : The Pegula effect

swiper
12-13-2014, 05:03 AM
Really nice to see a LA relocation article that doesn't mention the Buffalo Bills.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/13/l-a-relocation-seen-as-inevitable/

Night Train
12-13-2014, 05:13 AM
The Raiders don't have a place to play after next year, IIRC. The baseball A's are opening a new stadium and the old one is scheduled to be torn down. Plus the Davis family still owns territorial rights for L.A.

That almost seems obvious...and if Spanos can't get a new stadium in San Diego, then he moves 2 hours north in a second.

Why isn't someone offering Khan of Jacksonville a new home ? That franchise has been a total failure at the gate.

don137
12-13-2014, 05:17 AM
The Raiders don't have a place to play after next year, IIRC. The baseball A's are opening a new stadium and the old one is scheduled to be torn down. Plus the Davis family still owns territorial rights for L.A.

That almost seems obvious...and if Spanos can't get a new stadium in San Diego, then he moves 2 hours north in a second.

Why isn't someone offering Khan of Jacksonville a new home ? That franchise has been a total failure at the gate.

Jags are playing in London against Buffalo next year after playing the Cowboys there this year. Makes me wonder if Khan is eyeing London for his Jaguars.

jamze132
12-13-2014, 05:48 AM
I'd like for the Raiders to move to San Antonio so I can watch the the Bills in person!

better days
12-13-2014, 06:39 AM

Does the Irsay family still hold territorial rights to Baltimore?

Famous Amos
12-13-2014, 06:47 AM
Jags are playing in London against Buffalo next year after playing the Cowboys there this year. Makes me wonder if Khan is eyeing London for his Jaguars.

If they do that, London could rebrand the Jaguars, without changing the name, to pay homage to Jaguar cars.

better days
12-13-2014, 06:50 AM
If they do that, London could rebrand the Jaguars, without changing the name, to pay homage to Jaguar cars.

I think the Jags have a five year commitment to play in London & it will probably be extended.

feldspar
12-13-2014, 07:38 AM
If two teams move to L.A. and those teams are the Chargers and Raiders, I could see a major problem there. I mean, they are both in the same division and would play each other twice-a-year. I imagine they'd play in the same home stadium. This situation could spell trouble in terms of fan behavior regularly.

WagonCircler
12-13-2014, 07:57 AM

Londoners would change the pronunciation, though. To Jag-U-ars.

Freaks.

better days
12-13-2014, 07:58 AM
If two teams move to L.A. and those teams are the Chargers and Raiders, I could see a major problem there. I mean, they are both in the same division and would play each other twice-a-year. I imagine they'd play in the same home stadium. This situation could spell trouble in terms of fan behavior regularly.

I guess one of them could switch divisions.

Seattle used to be an AFC team.

better days
12-13-2014, 08:01 AM

Freaks.

And that is how the local Jaguar dealer pronounces it in commercials down here in Sarasota.

YardRat
12-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Jacksonville has a pretty expensive 'out' clause. Two teams, same city, same division would be nuts (especially considering their AFL roots, I don't see San Diego or Oakland swapping into the NFC). I honestly don't think the NFL will ever catch hold in LA, but if the powers that be are stubborn give 'em one and see how it rolls instead of doubling down on stupid.

Dr. Who
12-13-2014, 11:14 AM

If London gets a team, they automatically become my second favorite team.
That said, I doubt NFL teams want to schedule that many games overseas.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-13-2014, 12:13 PM

I highly doubt the NFL owners would approve a move there. Am I mistaken, but I thought the owners had to sign off on any moves?

Generalissimus Gibby
12-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Really, I think the Raiders move back to LA area and maybe the Bolts. Actually LA is theoretically big enough for a cross town rivalry, but really the way things work the Raiders will probably just play in the 49ers park and the Bolts will move to LA.

Historian
12-13-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't want to see anybody relocate.

Expand.

DesertFox24
12-13-2014, 06:12 PM
They would have to add 8 teams or totally get ride of the division system and add two teams to make it fair

BillsImpossible
12-13-2014, 07:29 PM
If London gets a team, they automatically become my second favorite team.
That said, I doubt NFL teams want to schedule that many games overseas.

The NFL is trying to push their product across the pond in London because Hollywood doesn't care.

If Canadians saw the NFL (see Bills Toronto Series) as a threat to their national pastime (hockey), the Brits are going to have the same attitude, as the NFL is a threat to Manchester United and every, "football," team in Europe.

I wish the NFL would concentrate more on selling their product where it all started, here in the United States.

The idea of having an NFL franchise located overseas is flat out ridiculous.

The Chargers and Raiders are 2 storied NFL franchises, but they don't have public support to build new stadiums.

The fact that the NFL can not sell their product in southern California throughout the league's history speaks volumes about the league.

The NFL is the most popular sport in the US, but the league still can't manage to sell their product in one of the biggest markets in America.

It's the nut they can't crack.

Dude
12-13-2014, 07:42 PM

Freaks.
Better that then "jag-wire".

stuckincincy
12-13-2014, 08:10 PM
I don't want to see anybody relocate.

Expand.

That might be hard to do...cities, communities aren't the suckers tripping over hand and foot for the NFL sales pitch anymore.

SpikedLemonade
12-13-2014, 08:54 PM
....the Brits are going to have the same attitude, as the NFL is a threat to Manchester United and every, "football," team in Europe....

Just when I thought Better Days was the dumbest idiot here you post this.

Night Train
12-14-2014, 04:56 AM
If London gets a team

Has to be the dumbest idea in sports. The travel would be brutal.

better days
12-14-2014, 06:32 AM

Well, every other person on the board knows you & Swiper are the two biggest IDIOTS on this board.

pmoon6
12-14-2014, 07:10 AM
I was always puzzled by the "Team In Great Britain" speculation. The team would be at a competitive disadvantage and so would teams in their division. It's a logistical nightmare and considering rest is very important to athletic performance, stupid.

This isn't war where you can cart your troops off 100 miles and expect them to attack without rest.

WagonCircler
12-14-2014, 07:27 AM
I was always puzzled by the "Team In Great Britain" speculation. The team would be at a competitive disadvantage and so would teams in their division. It's a logistical nightmare and considering rest is very important to athletic performance, stupid.

This isn't war where you can cart your troops off 100 miles and expect them to attack without rest.

Follow the money.

It's an insatiable hunger by the NFL to expand the market into other countries. Sound familiar?

Regular season NFL games in Europe would be a Brandonesque epic fail.

YardRat
12-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Don't like London, don't like expansion.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Has to be the dumbest idea in sports. The travel would be brutal.

Yeah, thanks for editing my comment. I concluded by saying I didn't think the NFL would want that kind of travel schedule.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 08:15 AM
The NFL is trying to push their product across the pond in London because Hollywood doesn't care.

If Canadians saw the NFL (see Bills Toronto Series) as a threat to their national pastime (hockey), the Brits are going to have the same attitude, as the NFL is a threat to Manchester United and every, "football," team in Europe.

I wish the NFL would concentrate more on selling their product where it all started, here in the United States.

The idea of having an NFL franchise located overseas is flat out ridiculous.

The Chargers and Raiders are 2 storied NFL franchises, but they don't have public support to build new stadiums.

The fact that the NFL can not sell their product in southern California throughout the league's history speaks volumes about the league.

The NFL is the most popular sport in the US, but the league still can't manage to sell their product in one of the biggest markets in America.

It's the nut they can't crack.

I agree with all this. I wasn't actually talking about what was realistic and I tried to indicate that.
I just happen to be an Anglophile. I love British literature and pop entertainment like Dr. Who. Hence, the idea of a London team is charming to me, though I think evidently not feasible.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 08:19 AM

Unlike Swiper, you have a brain, but you are wrong to have contempt for Better Days.
He's decent and hopeful and presents arguments that are not irrational. Your intellect is capable of realizing this, so you are just picking fights to be pugnacious.

pmoon6
12-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Your intellect is capable of realizing thisThat's highly debatable unless you think trout have a capable intellect.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 03:56 PM
That's highly debatable unless you think trout have a capable intellect.

LOL. I may be confusing him with a fellow from another board.
Anyway, he's a Bruins' fan I think, so the hell with him.

jamze132
12-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Any team stationed in London would have to get 4 games in a row home and on the road, twice each season. They're screwed if the make the playoffs. Lol, Jacksonville is a prime candidate.