PDA

View Full Version : Ortons Better Than This

The Doc
12-14-2014, 05:42 PM
It's my opinion that Ortons struggles are a result from two things:

1- the line
2- option routes

He's gotta play better than he has but he's throwing at 4 steps on 5 step drop backs, like on that overthrow to Woods today.

I think with Hackett opening up the playbook more they're doing option routes more. And I think that the receivers and Orton aren't on the same page.

The offense has issues but I we turn back to EJ they'll only be worse.

BertSquirtgum
12-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Nope. Orton sucks.

Novacane
12-14-2014, 05:50 PM
He's struggling because he's not very good. Why do you people ignore 10 YEARS of history? He's an average to below average QB. I don't care who starts the last 2 games but if Orton is our #1 next year we're effed.

The Jokeman
12-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Nope. Orton sucks.

Orton and the rest of the offense has struggled mightily in the redzone. We saw it in the preseason too, maybe an improved O-line and starting TE can fix it.

elltrain22
12-14-2014, 05:53 PM
He does NOT suck, but he is average (as his career record would indicate). The problem with Orton is if he could be above average, with our dominance on defense, we are def a playoff contender this year, and in the future.

imbondz
12-14-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm not ignoring it. We want Orton to play like Brees or Rodgers usually plays. He's a 50-50 QB having an Orton season. He's still a better option than EJ.

Actually Orton is having a better season than his career history in terms of wins / losses.

The Jokeman
12-14-2014, 05:55 PM
He's struggling because he's not very good. Why do you people ignore 10 YEARS of history? He's an average to below average QB. I don't care who starts the last 2 games but if Orton is our #1 next year we're effed.

I agree he's an average QB but you can win with an average QB as long as you have the parts around him. Seattle and Cincy are examples.

imbondz
12-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Wilson is an above ave QB. Guess it depends on your definition of ave tho

IlluminatusUIUC
12-14-2014, 05:58 PM
I initially was easier on Orton and Hackett because the former hadn't been through TC and the latter designed an offense around a completely different skillset. But it's been months since Orton took over, and the offense is looking worse by the game. Orton knuckles under if the rush gets within 5 feet of him.

Cleve
12-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Wilson is an above ave QB. Guess it depends on your definition if ave tho

I definitely agree that Wilson is above average, and superior to Orton.

swiper
12-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Orton is still better than Manuel. But the line gave him ZERO time to look at the field. The o-line is becoming a bigger and bigger problem.

imbondz
12-14-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm having a hard time complaining when the first time in 10 years we can legitimately, every single game compete with the top teams. And not just kinda compete but we could have won that Broncos game. It's just frustrating to be so close to having all the pieces together. And the piece you need is the biggest one.

djjimkelly
12-14-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm not ignoring it. We want Orton to play like Brees or Rodgers usually plays. He's a 50-50 QB having an Orton season. He's still a better option than EJ.

Actually Orton is having a better season than his career history in terms of wins / losses.

who was the qb with jauron in chicago? Another team that had an all world D

djjimkelly
12-14-2014, 06:08 PM

watch more of their games hes not that good id still take him over orton

The Jokeman
12-14-2014, 06:08 PM

Wilson is a good QB arguably the 10th best but if you put him on a team with a lesser defense or with as strong a running game I don't think he has the same success.

The Jokeman
12-14-2014, 06:09 PM
who was the qb with jauron in chicago? Another team that had an all world D

Jim Miller was the guy who had the best season under Jauron.

The Jokeman
12-14-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm having a hard time complaining when the first time in 10 years we can legitimately, every single game compete with the top teams. And not just kinda compete but we could have won that Broncos game. It's just frustrating to be so close to having all the pieces together. And the piece you need is the biggest one.

or maybe that piece is made by the other pieces around him. I maintain that franchise QBs are made not born. Let's face facts our receiving core is below average when it comes to experience and it's holding us back. I felt it could hurt us in the preseason and stand by it. Also our failures in the redzone has hurt us a lot too. That said the playoffs are still a possibility if things fall right but you know what? This is the best team we've had here in quite some time and I'm enjoying it.

YardRat
12-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Orton is what most expected him to be. The only thing I'm a little bit surprised by is over the last month his deeper throws aren't any more accurate than EJ's. I expected him to at least be in the same zip code a few times instead of consistently 10 yards long.

The Doc
12-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Orton is what most expected him to be. The only thing I'm a little bit surprised by is over the last month his deeper throws aren't any more accurate than EJ's. I expected him to at least be in the same zip code a few times instead of consistently 10 yards long.
There was a go route he threw to Woods yesterday where when he threw it I knew it wouldn't be complete before the camera even found woods. He rushed it and appeared to throw on his fourth step which made it impossible for Woods to get under.

Point is, I think Ortons an average NFL QB but he can only maximize his potential when he's got better interior line play.

Novacane
12-15-2014, 10:06 AM
I agree he's an average QB but you can win with an average QB as long as you have the parts around him. Seattle and Cincy are examples.

Don't even compare Orton to Russell Wilson. That's a joke.

Novacane
12-15-2014, 10:09 AM
I maintain that franchise QBs are made not born..

Your'e wrong!

Meathead
12-15-2014, 10:29 AM
orton is an average nfl starting qb who definitely could be part of a winning perhaps even championship team

his biggest weakness appears to be pocket awareness and scrambling, hes just not good at all at that. so the offensive line becomes even more important than usual bc you simply cant let pressure get too close or its a negative play for sure

and of course oline is probably the biggest weakness on this team, which is a little surprising considering what looked like a nice assemblage of talent that just hasnt gelled

i think orton would look a ton better if he just didnt have guys in his face so quickly. doesnt appear they can fix that this season, needs to be a big focus for next year tho

better days
12-16-2014, 08:08 AM
Orton is not an average starting NFL QB.

He is an average BACK UP NFL QB.

Aside from the Jets games, his play has been TERRIBLE, not average.

BuffaloRedleg
12-16-2014, 08:16 AM
He is not better than this.

Review the game film. He misses easy reads all the time. He does not go through his progressions even when he has time. He is not accurate. He does not read the defense and call audibles before the play well.

He's top 5 worst QB in the league and he's the best QB on our roster. ugh.