• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Orton

Need to not lose yards? Don't worry, I'll take a sack outside of field goal range.

Need to stall a drive? Don't worry, I'll miss a wide-open Sammy Watkins at the sideline.

Need 10 yards? Don't worry, I'll throw a short one to Freddie or Lee Smith.

But this is the killer for me, that 3 and 5 play, a first down wins it. You can watch it at 2:31 - http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...lls-highlights

Five wides. If you watch the play again, you'll see these options as ranked by openness.

1. Jackson on a linebacker. You'll see how open he is on the slant underneath Sammy.
    2. Woods on the 8-yard hitch, wide open on the turn.
    3. Chandler on the 3-yard flat route, with potentially enough separation to turn the corner for the first.

4/5. Watkins and Hogan running clear-out routes.

Where does Orton look first? The clear-out route. Where else does he look with plenty of time? Nowhere. He looks, *****, and fires a low percentage fly-route with 3 open wideouts.

If we'd lost this game, this play would have been examined heavily and it more than anything else has damned Orton in my mind. Reminded me of the Trent Edwards Dallas game where all we needed was one more FG after multiple bailouts. I wish someone at the PC would have asked him about it. It's not the first time he's taken a horrible option given the game situation and wish Hackett could either recognize it or get through to the freakin' guy.

• kingJofNYC
    • Sep 2009

Re: Orton

When he needs 2-3 yards he throws it deep to a covered receiver, and ignores the open underneath receiver. When he needs 7, he throws for 4. Guy is a mess.

Comment

• Swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

The thing I am seeing about Orton is he appears (to me) like he doesn't care most of the time. Tom Brady cares. You can see it. Orton could give two ****s. And that's what's bugging me about him.

As far as his play? The defenders were in on him WAY too fast. The o-line is terrible. Some of it is talent. Some of it is coaching. Whoever made the claim that Kuoandijo would "wake up" after a year of watching had better be right. And Whaley had better keep looking.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Brady can care because he's at the level where 95% if something fails, it's the other guy's fault, and that's not being sarcastic. Kinda hard for Orton to get into somebody else's grille about dropping a pass when the next one is going to be poorly thrown and his own 'bad'. Plus, he's not dumb...he knows the oline sucks too.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
          Need to not lose yards? Don't worry, I'll take a sack outside of field goal range.

Need to stall a drive? Don't worry, I'll miss a wide-open Sammy Watkins at the sideline.

Need 10 yards? Don't worry, I'll throw a short one to Freddie or Lee Smith.

But this is the killer for me, that 3 and 5 play, a first down wins it. You can watch it at 2:31 - http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...lls-highlights

Five wides. If you watch the play again, you'll see these options as ranked by openness.

1. Jackson on a linebacker. You'll see how open he is on the slant underneath Sammy.
          2. Woods on the 8-yard hitch, wide open on the turn.
          3. Chandler on the 3-yard flat route, with potentially enough separation to turn the corner for the first.

4/5. Watkins and Hogan running clear-out routes.

Where does Orton look first? The clear-out route. Where else does he look with plenty of time? Nowhere. He looks, *****, and fires a low percentage fly-route with 3 open wideouts.

If we'd lost this game, this play would have been examined heavily and it more than anything else has damned Orton in my mind. Reminded me of the Trent Edwards Dallas game where all we needed was one more FG after multiple bailouts. I wish someone at the PC would have asked him about it. It's not the first time he's taken a horrible option given the game situation and wish Hackett could either recognize it or get through to the freakin' guy.
          And people blamed Hackett for the play call in this situation. The call was perfect, Orton made a horrible decision.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
            • Aug 2004

Orton is not the answer. I think everyone knows that by now, including those at OBD.

I'm just surprised that they haven't bring EJ on for some of the 3rd and one, 2nd and 2 situations where the option presents a threat, and a change of pace where you see thourghout the league. For sure if Gailey was the OC, that would happen.

Comment

• k-oneputt
              • Jun 2009

EJ is not seeing the field until they are officially out of the play-offs.

Orton sucks but unbelievably he still gives them a better chance to win right now.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

Orton is doing just enough not to lose. Like it or not, he's the best option for the Bills to win. All we can do is hope he catches fire over the next couple of weeks.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                  The thing I am seeing about Orton is he appears (to me) like he doesn't care most of the time. Tom Brady cares. You can see it. Orton could give two ****s. And that's what's bugging me about him.

As far as his play? The defenders were in on him WAY too fast. The o-line is terrible. Some of it is talent. Some of it is coaching. Whoever made the claim that Kuoandijo would "wake up" after a year of watching had better be right. And Whaley had better keep looking.
                  The OL definitely shares some of the blame. Here's the problem: pretty much every other qb in the league is capable of making one guy miss and running far enough out of the pocket to throw the ball away, even guys like Brady and Manning who aren't known for scrambling or foot speed.

Orton can't. If one guy gets through or if the #1 route isn't open it's an automatic sack because he can't buy any time. He just turtles up and eats it. I mean, we don't want him running around holding the ball by his hip with one hand Michael Vick style either,but there's a happy medium.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post

Couldn't agree more and I can't stand him because of it.

Comment

• The King
                      Without me it's just Awe so
                      • Jun 2004

He also throws to guys who are already wrapped up.

It's pretty clear to me, the offensive strategy is protect the football take what's given and don't make mistakes. Marrone is comfortable letting his defense control games. It's hard to believe at this point EJ is a worse option. But it's working in most cases and we don't have any other options right now.

Let's hope they have some kind of genius plan in the offseason.
                      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                      It was all
                      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                        Orton is doing just enough not to lose. Like it or not, he's the best option for the Bills to win. All we can do is hope he catches fire over the next couple of weeks.
                        well someone better pour some butane or gasoline on him and throw a match lol

Comment

• dog14787
                          • Oct 2010

The Bills WR corp is very inexperienced IMO and I see mistakes being made in every game.

I'm going to trust the Bills coaching staff and Whaley to decide whats best going into the future.

Myself personally, stick with what we have now behind center and concentrate on other positions.

We pulled Manuel at 2-2...

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                            When he needs 2-3 yards he throws it deep to a covered receiver, and ignores the open underneath receiver. When he needs 7, he throws for 4. Guy is a mess.
                            Precisely.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              Brady can care because he's at the level where 95% if something fails, it's the other guy's fault, and that's not being sarcastic. Kinda hard for Orton to get into somebody else's grille about dropping a pass when the next one is going to be poorly thrown and his own 'bad'. Plus, he's not dumb...he knows the oline sucks too.
                              It was 14-13 in favor of the Pats* at halftime.

The Pats* came out & took the game over in the second half.

And it was because of Brady. Brady got HIT by the Fins in this game, but you never see him turtle like Orton, he fights for every yard.

Comment

Working...
                              X