• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imbondz
    Democrats are people too
    • Jan 2003

Thoughts on Marrone

For those of you who think we should keep Marrone, why?

For those of you who think he should be fired by end of the year based on our current 8-6 record, why?

I think we'd be crazy to let him go. He's the first coach since 2004 to field a team where we can legitimately hang with the best teams. I think he's a good game manager, clock manager, and in-game makes good adjustments for the most part. Is his success only because of Schwartz? Or does Marrone get credit for our D too?

His glaring issue is Hackett and I was under the impression Marrone is an offensive minded guy to begin with. I think we have too much talent on offense to not be using them correctly. Our O-line is the biggest problem that needs fixing.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

• trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Thoughts on Marrone

Neither. I don't think he's that good. We win because of defense. Something he's washed his hands clean of since he started. The offense has gotten worse over 2 years. They scored 9 PTs yesterday. It's not an outlier.

Other ers coaches would have taken over play calling etc. Nothing public has been said but it hasn't gotten better

if he won't part with Hackett, he's got to go, and frankly he has to find a Schwartz, Pettine type hire if next yr is to build on this season.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

I love Doug. He brings a passion that the Bills haven't had since the last coach to have a winning record (Mularkey). He's full of fire and HATES losing. He demands nothing but the best.
      His downfalls, so far, are he's too conservative and too predictable at times.

Schwartz has been great, but the D wasn't too shaby last season, either. Jim has brought it to the next level. I hope he doesn't leave, but it's hard to imagine some team not offering him a Head Coaching gig. I hated when they hired Schwartz. I am so glad that I was 100% wrong. He's an awesome defensive mind. I hope he decides to stay DC of the Bills.

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

I think he saved his job with the Green Bay win, at least for another year.

If he is smart he will go get a new OC, or he won't be aound after next year.

Go get Lane Kiffen for OC

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
          Neither. I don't think he's that good. We win because of defense. Something he's washed his hands clean of since he started. The offense has gotten worse over 2 years. They scored 9 PTs yesterday. It's not an outlier.

Other ers coaches would have taken over play calling etc. Nothing public has been said but it hasn't gotten better

if he won't part with Hackett, he's got to go, and frankly he has to find a Schwartz, Pettine type hire if next yr is to build on this season.
          If the offense would quit shooting themselves in the foot with penalties and taking stupid sacks, it would improve a lot. It's not all Marrone and Hackett's fault. The game yesterday was called to near perfection. If the team executes the plays properly, the offense would've put up more points.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

I think we are looking at more of the same for next year perhaps with a new DC since he finds a HC position.

Marrone will resist replacing Hackett and Marrone will not be fired because of it.

The offence is a disgrace and this team is being carried by the fact we spend over 2/3's of our salary cap on the D.

I'm enjoying this year but I do not expect an improvement next year but rather a step back.

Comment

• imbondz
              Democrats are people too
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
              I love Doug. He brings a passion that the Bills haven't had since the last coach to have a winning record (Mularkey). He's full of fire and HATES losing. He demands nothing but the best.
              His downfalls, so far, are he's too conservative and too predictable at times.

Schwartz has been great, but the D wasn't too shaby last season, either. Jim has brought it to the next level. I hope he doesn't leave, but it's hard to imagine some team not offering him a Head Coaching gig. I hated when they hired Schwartz. I am so glad that I was 100% wrong. He's an awesome defensive mind. I hope he decides to stay DC of the Bills.
              agree. I hated the Schwartz hire so glad I was wrong.
              My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                • Apr 2003

maronne IMO needs to go, i doubt he will but he should be fired.

1, the benching of urbik - early in the season marrone had some agenda with urbik probably cost us a win or 2

2, mike williams situation - i dont know the truth of why he was in the dog house (but let him go week 1 not week 14)

3, i think he has handled the qb situation poorly - read my posts i wont explain

4, several in game situations that ive been baffled by

5, him not taking over play calling duties considering hes supposed to be an offensive guru

Comment

• casdhf
                  • Jul 2002

This team needs continuity. Everyone should stay. Hackett and Orton will have a full off-season to prepare and adapt. Status quo could be good enough for 10 or 11 wins next year
                  Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                  cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• bdutton
                    • Jul 2013

He definitely did a great job despite a lack of offense and especially a QB. This off season I would like to see them improve the QB position. Not sure I would yank Hackett yet since he was working with the likes of Orton and Manuel. Replacing the OC and installing a new offensive system would set us back more than put us ahead.

I hope we can hold onto Schwartz for another season.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

The Bills ran on first down 11 times out of 13 against the Packers.

That was great in this game because the Packers have the worst run defense in the NFL.

The problem is Hackett does that against teams that play well against the run.

NO imagination by Hackett at all.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post

That was great in this game because the Packers have the worst run defense in the NFL.

When the Bills run the ball, everyone gets pissed and calls the offense crappy. When they throw the ball, everyone gets pissed and calls for more running.

Hackett called his best game of the season, IMO. 9 straight runs to open the 2nd half. Shoved the ball right down Green Bay's throat. If the Bills had a QB that wasn't horrible, they'd have blown the crap out of Green Bay yesterday.

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

I guess I just don't get why fans WANT to continue in the coach every 2-3 years cycle. It's obvious it is rare to get a good coach. Who do you guys think we'll be getting instead and why will they be better than Marrone?

I've said over and over there are a number of things that Marrone does that I don't agree with. There are things I hate (conservative play in 4th quarter, for one), but he's still winning.

Why doesn't he deserve a third year? Even Chan Gailey got a third year and he didn't even sniff 8 wins during any of those 3 years. I really don't get it. If Marrone flops next year, then sure, let's discuss it. But almost every coach gets a third year, especially when the team is showing improvement during the first two years. I think something to consider is that the only teams we've lost to are the ones who are clearly better or on the same level as us. Maybe I'm jinxing the Oakland game, but we've beaten the teams we were supposed to beat and pulled out a couple against better teams. I've always said those two things are signs of a good coach.

So yeah, he clearly deserves a third year. He also clearly needs to improve the offense by whatever means necessary. If he can't do that and we stagnate next year, then let's talk about if he should be fired.
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post

Guys, all the running we are doing for minimal gains is just to kill clock and give the D a rest. Best case scenario we end up with a FG out of the drive.

The game plan is clear....

1. Don't turn the ball over
                            2. Don't take sacks
                            3. Put yourself in 3rd and 5 or less and convert to kill more clock

It is that simple, Marrone and Hackett know that we can get 3 yards on 1st and 3 yards on second that makes 3rd and 4.

Once we drop back to pass we have holding, false start, sack, INT due to the problems on the OL.

Everyone thinks Henderson is such a great find, honestly, he is as big a liability as Pears and Urbik. They are all being protected right now with a very basic game plan.

So hard to evaluate Orton, Hackett and Marrone with this type of offensive philosophy.

Comment

• GreedoII
                              • Aug 2007

I'm ok with all the coaches staying. Just get a QB and shore up the o-line.

Comment

Working...
                              X