PDA

View Full Version : Apparently Bill Polian just said

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 12:22 PM
that Doug Marrone should be considered for coach of the year.

I'm surprised.

justasportsfan
12-15-2014, 12:23 PM
if the Pegulas hire Polian as a consultant or whatever, I guess Marrone stays

HAMMER
12-15-2014, 12:24 PM
But BurtSquirtGum, aka HurkeyJerk, says he is horrible, along with a host of the other Monday Morning GM's around here.

They know more than Bill Polian, after all, they post regularly on a football message board.

Meathead
12-15-2014, 12:25 PM
you can hear what ppl are gonna say already: he doesnt deserve it bc he hired hackett and the offense sucks and that its the defense that gets all the credit

well marrone went out and got guys like schwartz to begin with. not every coach would go out and get a recently fired hc who is one of the best dcs in the league. so if he gets hit for the offense and having hackett he also gets credit for the defense and having the schwartzinator

marrone has done a good job of orchestrating the rebuild (at least on the field) and getting a lot out of this team. he has also been good at improving areas of weakness like challenges and game clock mgmt. what he has done well is significant imo

his big weakness imo is lack of discipline on the team. it appears he tried too hard to be one of the guys early and i think its cost him. he needs to be more of a boss, a father, a taskmaster, to get these guys to respect him but with a little bit of fear

id give him another season. and if they win the last two he would have to be close to a lock for coty

HHURRICANE
12-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Was this on TMZ?

I love Polian but I watched us lose games we shouldn't have.

If Marrone fires Hackett and gets a real OC than I could live with another year but honestly if that doesn't fix things I'll be pissed.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 12:31 PM
I would think Arians is the frontrunner given the qb issues and the Cards continue to win.

I don't like Hackett. Maybe it's the offensive line and the qb, but the way he calls a game drives me crazy.
I wish Marrone would have brought in a more experienced o-coordinator.

- - - Updated - - -

Was this on TMZ?

If Marrone fires Hackett and gets a real OC than I could live with another year but honestly if that doesn't fix things I'll be pissed.

I saw this reported on BBMB. I am guessing it was on ESPN.

coastal
12-15-2014, 12:37 PM
the fire Marrone crew is ridiculous.

Hackett may need to be replaced. we literally are an OG or two away from being a SuperBowl contender.

YardRat
12-15-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm surprised also. Truth be known, there will probably be little to no turnover from this season to next, even the coaches (including Marrone) on the offensive side of the ball can point fingers at the performance of the oline and QB and convince Pegula 'We're thisclose...".

I've supported Marrone for most of the season, and gone back and forth with Hackett, but A)If some of the personnel handling situations are on Marrone and B)After watching yet another slog through the mud performance by the offense yesterday, I'm willing to cut bait with the HC if he isn't serious about upgrading a couple of spots on the roster, and the coaching staff.

The only way Marrone should even be considered for COTY is if the team wins out and makes the playoffs, otherwise he isn't a candidate at all.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-15-2014, 12:54 PM
I would think Arians is the frontrunner given the qb issues and the Cards continue to win.

I wrote about Arians on this board sometime ago. He has developed Palmer, Roethlisberger, and Luck before he got the gig in Arizona. You can say he's lucky to have some QB materials to work with. On the other hand, Palmer, Roethlisberger all had great words to say about his mentoring. Luck had him for one year. Looks to me he's one of the offensive mind in the game today.

Marrone strikes me as one of the overall manager type that isn't known to be an offensive genius. He needs to have eye for talent - OC and DC talent, that is. He really needs a Sean Peyton type of coordinator who can realize his vision of offense.

I don't know about Nate Hackett. It may not be fair but from his interviews and public talks I heard, just feel like he maight be a step below experienced OC like Gailey who is more crafty and imaginative.

swiper
12-15-2014, 12:54 PM
I don't really care what Polian has to say. He says things, now, just to get attention for the people he works for.

Typ0
12-15-2014, 01:10 PM
I think his big weakness is screwing up on gameday. I'm sick of that!

you can hear what ppl are gonna say already: he doesnt deserve it bc he hired hackett and the offense sucks and that its the defense that gets all the credit

well marrone went out and got guys like schwartz to begin with. not every coach would go out and get a recently fired hc who is one of the best dcs in the league. so if he gets hit for the offense and having hackett he also gets credit for the defense and having the schwartzinator

marrone has done a good job of orchestrating the rebuild (at least on the field) and getting a lot out of this team. he has also been good at improving areas of weakness like challenges and game clock mgmt. what he has done well is significant imo

his big weakness imo is lack of discipline on the team. it appears he tried too hard to be one of the guys early and i think its cost him. he needs to be more of a boss, a father, a taskmaster, to get these guys to respect him but with a little bit of fear

id give him another season. and if they win the last two he would have to be close to a lock for coty

Joe Fo Sho
12-15-2014, 01:28 PM
I saw this reported on BBMB. I am guessing it was on ESPN.

Yes, it was on ESPN during my lunch break. I brought it up in the other thread about Marrone.

They also asked if the Bills gave the rest of the NFL a blueprint for beating the Packers. Merrill Hoge said something like "they did, and the blueprint is having the Bills defense..."

They agreed that the Bills defense is unarguably a top 5 defense but wouldn't go further than that.

bdutton
12-15-2014, 01:33 PM

Those games we lost but shouldn't have were because of this joker on the left.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=cj0BMlLnnqlV4jP_y8UZEc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvkDsMKQTTEV80Nzm10r50wWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Generalissimus Gibby
12-15-2014, 01:35 PM
the fire Marrone crew is ridiculous.

Hackett may need to be replaced. we literally are an OG or two away from being a SuperBowl contender.

and an OC. A good QB would also help. However, I agree. We resign the people we have, do whatever it takes to keep Schwartz happy and more importantly here, and fix the OL, and the OC then yes we will finally be contenders for a change. As for Coach of the Year? Well, if we beat Oakland and New England and stumble our way into the post season then **** yes. Anywho, any call to can Marrone is premature. He might not be the best coach out there, but for the first time in almost 15 years the head coach is not the problem. Can Hackett and keep the coach.

mightysimi
12-15-2014, 01:42 PM
14 years with no playoffs, 10 years without a winning record. Marrone has us knocking on both and people still want to fire him and start over. That's what we need is a new system. It worked so well for Alex Smith in SF that it has to work for us!!! I'm not as down on Hackett as some but I wouldn't hate some more experience on that side of the ball. Hell I would even deal with an offensive consultant who can refine our offence as oppose to starting over with a new one.

DesertFox24
12-15-2014, 01:46 PM
I am not sure what part of this people are refusing to acknowledge. Hackett designed an offense around a mobile QB, he is now working with an immobile QB. They did not have an offseason of any kind of work on new plays and other things. In addition the offensive line has not been great either. I believe we have a LT, RT, and a C but we are not there at guard, hopefully Cryus and Richardson can win the jobs next year and maybe make the unit better. That being said I don't care if you guys put up fire Hackett signs or where bags saying where is the offense, Marrone will not fire Hackett. Just accept the fact Hackett will be here until either one of two things happens MArrone is fired or Hackett gets a head coaching gig.

- - - Updated - - -

14 years with no playoffs, 10 years without a winning record. Marrone has us knocking on both and people still want to fire him and start over. That's what we need is a new system. It worked so well for Alex Smith in SF that it has to work for us!!! I'm not as down on Hackett as some but I wouldn't hate some more experience on that side of the ball. Hell I would even deal with an offensive consultant who can refine our offence as oppose to starting over with a new one.
We hired that guy from the Ravens last year and added a QB coach. I doubt we add more coaches this offseason.

Mr. Cynical
12-15-2014, 01:52 PM

You know, you just may have convinced me to get off the Get Rid of Moron wagon. Maybe. ;)

My biggest complaint is obviously the way the QB situation was and has been handled since the offseason. Some of that's on Whaley as well, but it absolutely could not have been handled any worse. That said, your post is pretty convincing of all the other things, so maybe he gets one more year to get the O and the QB situation rectified. If he botches that up again, no question he needs to get the boot.

YardRat
12-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Tampa Bay just called, something about Tony Dungy, something something, John Gruden, something else, Super Bowl.

mightysimi
12-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Tampa Bay just called, something about Tony Dungy, something something, John Gruden, something else, Super Bowl.

Well it did work once so therefore it will work everytime. Alright so all we need to do is some how trade for a coach of the team that we will play in the superbowl and know everything about and then we will be fine.

I would be willing to bet the examples on my side are much more numerous.

coastal
12-15-2014, 02:12 PM
and an OC. A good QB would also help. However, I agree. We resign the people we have, do whatever it takes to keep Schwartz happy and more importantly here, and fix the OL, and the OC then yes we will finally be contenders for a change. As for Coach of the Year? Well, if we beat Oakland and New England and stumble our way into the post season then **** yes. Anywho, any call to can Marrone is premature. He might not be the best coach out there, but for the first time in almost 15 years the head coach is not the problem. Can Hackett and keep the coach.we need a legitimate OC who can do on O what has been done in D.

fixing out interior line is paramount though. All teams are doing is blitzing Orton up the gut. Fix that and he's more than serviceable with the D that we have.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 02:57 PM
we need a legitimate OC who can do on O what has been done in D.

fixing out interior line is paramount though. All teams are doing is blitzing Orton up the gut. Fix that and he's more than serviceable with the D that we have.

I'm pretty disgusted with Orton right now, but this may be correct.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-15-2014, 03:23 PM
we need a legitimate OC who can do on O what has been done in D.

Don't think this is fix-able. Whaley has admiited a month ago that teams (defenses) are now adapting to Orton under this offense. You can't expect 3 blocking 4 and be successful all the time. Sometimes, our LT or RT got beat one-on-one in those cases they did stop them in the middle. Apparently Orton is not Manning who can predict what's coming and align proper protection in time.

There is a reason he's Kyle Orton and bounced around ...

better days
12-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Well, for those that wanted Pegula to hire Polian as a consultant it would appear Polian is suffering from dementia.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Don't think this is fix-able. Whaley has admiited a month ago that teams (defenses) are now adapting to Orton under this offense. You can't expect 3 blocking 4 and be successful all the time. Sometimes, our LT or RT got beat one-on-one in those cases they did stop them in the middle. Apparently Orton is not Manning who can predict what's coming and align proper protection in time.

There is a reason he's Kyle Orton and bounced around ...

Whoever the qb is, getting the o-line right is a priority. We can't run block for excrement right now. The pass protection is a little better.

BertSquirtgum
12-15-2014, 03:45 PM
But BurtSquirtGum, aka HurkeyJerk, says he is horrible, along with a host of the other Monday Morning GM's around here.

They know more than Bill Polian, after all, they post regularly on a football message board.

Yes. I am right and you know it. Just don't want to admit it. Must be that arrogant smug California attitude.