PDA

View Full Version : Would Cutler Really make the difference

DesertFox24
12-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Cutler has all the talent in the world and with our defense I think his turnover flaws will be somewhat mitigated unlike they are this year in Chicago. The question I have is does the guy listen to coaching and follow the game plan. Do we really want this potential head ache. Additionally getting him assures Hughes and Spiller are gone, as Clayton mentioned on the radio yesterday Hughes does benefit from the other 3 and we will all agree but he still beats one on ones and against some good LTs, is that something we want to let go?

casdhf
12-19-2014, 09:17 AM
We do not need our QB to be a team leader as long as FJ still has breath in him. Unfortunately, that probably only means a year or two.

Mr. Miyagi
12-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Cutler has all the talent in the world and with our defense I think his turnover flaws will be somewhat mitigated unlike they are this year in Chicago.
What makes you think Cutler's turnover tendencies will be "somewhat mitigated"? What would do that and what do you mean by that?

Mr. Miyagi
12-19-2014, 09:26 AM
1. We don't want Cutler
2. We want Hughes back

Bill Cody
12-19-2014, 09:28 AM
We do not need our QB to be a team leader as long as FJ still has breath in him. Unfortunately, that probably only means a year or two.

Show me a team where the QB was NOT a team leader and I'll show you a losing team

Pinkerton Security
12-19-2014, 09:36 AM
"All the talent in the world" is not how I'd describe Cutler. Physical talent, maybe, but that doesnt mean anything.

Would he be an upgrade over Orton/EJ? Yes, probably, but he isnt worth it IMO

better days
12-19-2014, 09:37 AM
I see no reason the Bills can't afford to pay both Cutler & Hughes.

On his current contract next year, Cutler makes $15.5 Mill. That is only 10 mill more than Orton would get.

JohnnyGold
12-19-2014, 09:39 AM
What makes you think Cutler's turnover tendencies will be "somewhat mitigated"? What would do that and what do you mean by that?

Call me crazy... but I'm starting to think its our running backs holding us back--not qb play.

This team is largely the same offensively this season as they were last year... with the exception of improvement at wideout and lateral movement at qb, (or improvement at that position, depending on your perspective). What then can account for us falling from one of the top teams in the league at running the ball, to one of the worst?

Fredex is getting old, he's lost a step, and where once he was able to get to the second level and rumble for 7-8 more yards, he now drags a mass of players with him to get an extra 2 yards.

Spiller, the fanbase's whipping boy, was our big time, home run threat. Whether or not he was "being utilized properly" is not the question. He was always the second string rb behind freddy... with freddy losing a step, expecting spiller to be an every down back AND the guy that goes between the tackles to get 2-3 yards is just ridiculous. He's not built like that and that's not his strength.

Brown and Dixon are liabilities, they fumble too much and cant bounce it to the outside to pick up extra yards when theres nothing up the middle. they are "downhill runners" who can be effective in space, but we don't commit to using them like that because, sadly, freddy is the better back. but its time to stop looking at having "the oldest running back in the nfl" as a good thing. we need young, powerful backs that can pick up frist downs on 3rd and 1. has ANYONE stopped to criticize the running backs for the fact they cant get first downs on third and short? its hackets fault that out of 4 rbs, NONE of them can pick up first downs consistently in those situations???! COME ON!

With a defense like we have we should be a running team. Even a 3 and out on offense can take 2-3 minutes off the clock if you run the ball 3 times. I know "marty ball" is despised, but if you have a strong defense, ball control becomes paramount. run/pass/pass is a terrible game plan, and one we should move away from next season.

i love freddy as much as the next fan, but he needs to become a positional coach. this team needs to run the ball, and it doesnt matter WHO our qb is.

Novacane
12-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Call me crazy... but I'm starting to think its our running backs holding us back--not qb play.

You're crazy lol. I agree the rb's could be upgraded. OL and QB are bigger issues.

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Cutler has Forte, Marshall(until last week), Bennett and Jeffery and he still can't win. I fail to see how coming to Buffalo would change that. He is what he is. A guy who puts up incredibly inflated stats because his team is always playing from behind.

Would he make Buffalo a playoff team? Maybe. Is his salary worth it? Hell no.

Uncle Jesse
12-19-2014, 09:55 AM
You're crazy lol. I agree the rb's could be upgraded. OL and QB are bigger issues.

Agreed. QB and OL are whats holding this franchise back right now. RBs are a dime a dozen these days, if you have a good line, you can trot anyone out there at RB basically and be fine with it. Especially since most backfields have two guys that are capable.

Typ0
12-19-2014, 09:55 AM
I really don't get all this Banter about Cutler really. He's too much of a screw up and not enough of a threat. I would be willing to bet if Michael Vick was on this team we would already have 10 or 11 wins. Before the disgusted dog lovers revolt let me remind you the guy has got talent and he's a constant threat on the field...plus he adds an entire dimension to our running attack. Micheal Vick fits on this team and he's a competitor. He also needs money is aging and wants to shine. We should have went after him before and we certainly should do so now....

WagonCircler
12-19-2014, 09:56 AM
1. We don't want Cutler
2. We want Hughes back

FU. What's with the "we" ****, Miagi? You got a mouse in your pocket?

This just in, you don't speak for anybody.

Uncle Jesse
12-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Cutler has Forte, Marshall(until last week), Bennett and Jeffery and he still can't win. I fail to see how coming to Buffalo would change that. He is what he is. A guy who puts up incredibly inflated stats because his team is always playing from behind.

Would he make Buffalo a playoff team? Maybe. Is his salary worth it? Hell no.

He also has a horrible OL, which he would be getting here this year, but hopefully not next. The Bears defense is HORRENDOUS. They give up an average of 30 points a game. So right off the bat they are asking their QBs to score 31+ and are playing from behind, which I think is a big factor is his turnovers. Forcing throws and doing too much because the Bears are always trailing.

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2014, 10:00 AM
He also has a horrible OL, which he would be getting here this year, but hopefully not next. The Bears defense is HORRENDOUS. They give up an average of 30 points a game. So right off the bat they are asking their QBs to score 31+ and are playing from behind, which I think is a big factor is his turnovers. Forcing throws and doing too much because the Bears are always trailing.

He turns the ball over way too much.

Uncle Jesse
12-19-2014, 10:27 AM
He turns the ball over way too much.

So does Orton, his come more in the form of punts after 3 and outs. With way less upside and actual talent.

Bill Cody
12-19-2014, 10:43 AM
So does Orton, his come more in the form of punts after 3 and outs. With way less upside and actual talent.

There's a reason why the old expression isn't "lose the punt battle and lose the game" it's lose the turnover battle and lose the game.

DesertFox24
12-19-2014, 10:46 AM
What makes you think Cutler's turnover tendencies will be "somewhat mitigated"? What would do that and what do you mean by that? Our defense is better than Chicago's, so it is possible most of the turnovers would not result in points. For example I think in our last 7 turnovers only one field goal has been scored. That stat could be wrong but I thought I saw it on twitter.

DesertFox24
12-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Personally I don't think Orton is the guy I want. I would almost rather take a chance on Bradford or Jake Locker, call me crazy but I do not want guys that free lance on my team. I could care less about the body language. I like the gun slinger mentality but he still tries to do things history has shown him he cannot get away with. That being said he would be the most talented QB we have had since Bledsoe and could stabilize the position for 6 years, if he keeps his head on straight. However, that is the tough part will he keep his head on straight.

Mr. Miyagi
12-19-2014, 10:58 AM

Really? This offended you so much you had to personally attack me?

Wow chillax man.

And yes, I do speak for me at the very least.

casdhf
12-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Show me a team where the QB was NOT a team leader and I'll show you a losing team Arizona and Philadelphia seem to be doing pretty well.

jamze132
12-19-2014, 12:08 PM

This team is largely the same offensively this season as they were last year... with the exception of improvement at wideout and lateral movement at qb, (or improvement at that position, depending on your perspective). What then can account for us falling from one of the top teams in the league at running the ball, to one of the worst?

Fredex is getting old, he's lost a step, and where once he was able to get to the second level and rumble for 7-8 more yards, he now drags a mass of players with him to get an extra 2 yards.

Spiller, the fanbase's whipping boy, was our big time, home run threat. Whether or not he was "being utilized properly" is not the question. He was always the second string rb behind freddy... with freddy losing a step, expecting spiller to be an every down back AND the guy that goes between the tackles to get 2-3 yards is just ridiculous. He's not built like that and that's not his strength.

Brown and Dixon are liabilities, they fumble too much and cant bounce it to the outside to pick up extra yards when theres nothing up the middle. they are "downhill runners" who can be effective in space, but we don't commit to using them like that because, sadly, freddy is the better back. but its time to stop looking at having "the oldest running back in the nfl" as a good thing. we need young, powerful backs that can pick up frist downs on 3rd and 1. has ANYONE stopped to criticize the running backs for the fact they cant get first downs on third and short? its hackets fault that out of 4 rbs, NONE of them can pick up first downs consistently in those situations???! COME ON!

With a defense like we have we should be a running team. Even a 3 and out on offense can take 2-3 minutes off the clock if you run the ball 3 times. I know "marty ball" is despised, but if you have a strong defense, ball control becomes paramount. run/pass/pass is a terrible game plan, and one we should move away from next season.

i love freddy as much as the next fan, but he needs to become a positional coach. this team needs to run the ball, and it doesnt matter WHO our qb is.

Eh, have you seen out O-line? RBs are the least of our worries.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-19-2014, 01:16 PM
I see no reason the Bills can't afford to pay both Cutler & Hughes.

On his current contract next year, Cutler makes $15.5 Mill. That is only 10 mill more than Orton would get.

This team can afford Cutler and all our pending free agents, but I think that's basically it for our FA budget. I asked this in the other thread, and I'll restate it here: If we get Cutler, that's probably it for our ability to improve the team through FA over the next few years. Barring a rookie sensation on the order of Kiko Alonso, the team is basically set. Do you think Cutler can with with this version of the Bills? Not one with two new guards and a new receiving TE, etc.

I really don't get all this Banter about Cutler really. He's too much of a screw up and not enough of a threat. I would be willing to bet if Michael Vick was on this team we would already have 10 or 11 wins. Before the disgusted dog lovers revolt let me remind you the guy has got talent and he's a constant threat on the field...plus he adds an entire dimension to our running attack. Micheal Vick fits on this team and he's a competitor. He also needs money is aging and wants to shine. We should have went after him before and we certainly should do so now....

I'm against Vick because he doesn't bring us anything on the field. He's too fragile for his legs to be a season-long threat, and he's inaccurate and bad enough in the passing game that I would rather roll with EJ and see if he could at least play his way out of his faults. Vick is gonna be 35 next year man. It's over.

better days
12-19-2014, 01:24 PM
This team can afford Cutler and all our pending free agents, but I think that's basically it for our FA budget. I asked this in the other thread, and I'll restate it here: If we get Cutler, that's probably it for our ability to improve the team through FA over the next few years. Barring a rookie sensation on the order of Kiko Alonso, the team is basically set. Do you think Cutler can with with this version of the Bills? Not one with two new guards and a new receiving TE, etc.

I'm against Vick because he doesn't bring us anything on the field. He's too fragile for his legs to be a season-long threat, and he's inaccurate and bad enough in the passing game that I would rather roll with EJ and see if he could at least play his way out of his faults. Vick is gonna be 35 next year man. It's over.

I think with proper Coaching/system the Bills could win with Cutler.

But Cutler is a gunslinger like Favre was. He needs room to freelance, a structured system like Trestman uses does not suit Cutler.

I'm not sure if Cutler would thrive under Marrone/Hackett or not.

YardRat
12-19-2014, 03:56 PM

I feel pretty comfortable at this point speaking for Miyagi also, so...

1. We don't want Cutler
2. We want Hughes back

swiper
12-19-2014, 05:04 PM

But Cutler is a gunslinger like Favre was. He needs room to freelance, a structured system like Trestman uses does not suit Cutler.

LOL. Idiot.

stuckincincy
12-19-2014, 05:25 PM

Fair points. And one has to be concerned about Cutler's temperment - ok for a wr or db I suppose, but not for a qb.

better days
12-19-2014, 05:28 PM
LOL. Idiot.

Well IDIOT, I did not say Cutler has the ability of Favre.

But he does have that SAME gunslinger mentality.

And only an IDIOT would TRY to refute that.

djjimkelly
12-19-2014, 06:42 PM

yes the rbs make orton have no arm strength completely nonathletic and run a 7 second 40

BertSquirtgum
12-20-2014, 12:25 AM
1. We don't want Cutler
2. We want Hughes back

I want both and the Bills can afford both.

swiper
12-20-2014, 05:05 AM
Well IDIOT, I did not say Cutler has the ability of Favre.

But he does have that SAME gunslinger mentality.

And only an IDIOT would TRY to refute that.

Crawl back under your rock.

sudzy
12-20-2014, 06:21 AM

How many times have you watched RBs break tackles in the backfield to get back to the line? The O-line is horrible. They are holding us back. How does this happen with a former NFL guard and O-line coach as HC?
In answer to the threads question about Cutler, We are going to have to sign someone's cast off at QB. Which one will be best? I don't know if it's Cutler or not. The real QB of the future will come though the draft, but without a 1st rounder, I'm not counting on getting one next year. This team is a decent QB and a good O-line away. Here is what I would do, sign the best QB and OG in free agency and then draft one of each with our 2nd and 3rd round picks. And I would leave the door open to drafting a QB in the follow draft, also.

better days
12-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Crawl back under your rock.

TROLL.

HHURRICANE
12-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Orton is better than Cutler?

Wasn't this the guy we watched suck week 1??

I like how people think different is better.

CJ Spiller was awful before he got hurt. Maybe it's the OC.

CommissarSpartacus
12-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Cutler's just going through the motions. He doesn't care about playing football anymore, he just wants to be young and rich.

Getting Cutler is the WORST thing we could do for this team.

Meathead
12-20-2014, 10:00 AM
yeah i do NOT want cutler. might as well stick with orton and try to strengthen the line. this team could win with average qb play if the line was better bc rushing and sack data would be better and take the heat off the qb

looks to me like we are most likely getting the dreaded training camp qb battle btwn orton and ej, which isnt as bad as it could have been. at least orton is capable and ej still has potential upside so we might be ok there

Yasgur's Farm
12-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Enough of the name calling and insulting.

sudzy
12-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Enough of the name calling and insulting.

Killjoy

BertSquirtgum
12-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Would Cutler really make a difference? My answer is Yes. On a team in which he feels he has something to play for.

http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2012/05/Jay%20Cutler%20Douche%20Finger/gallery_main/gallery_main-jay-cutler-douche-finger-03.jpg

better days
12-20-2014, 01:27 PM

Just before he got hurt, Spiller had a GREAT run.

And Cutler did not suck in week one against the Bills as bad as Orton did last week against the Packers.

BertSquirtgum
12-20-2014, 01:32 PM

Yes. Cutler stinks this year and his numbers make Orton look like the average bum he is.

http://www.nfl.com/player/kyleorton/2506444/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/jaycutler/2495824/profile

gr8slayer
12-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Show me a team where the QB was NOT a team leader and I'll show you a losing team

Cowboys and Eagles come to mind right away.

Uncle Jesse
12-20-2014, 02:55 PM
People also talk about Cutlers turnovers, the Eagles lead the league in turnovers on offense. They seem to be doing just fine. Ortons turnovers just come more in the form of turnover on downs, or punts.

Meathead
12-20-2014, 08:03 PM
the Eagles lead the league in turnovers on offense. They seem to be doing just fine.

you mean other than missing the playoffs