PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Start EJ Next Week

ghz in pittsburgh
12-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Not that Orton is the sole reason we lost today.

But I don't see a single point of starting him next week. To me the turning point of this game is Orton's 1st INT. The Bills had everything going and he threw a bad one killing the flow.

That and lack of attempt to run the ball is pathetic.

Time to see what EJ has learned behind Orton. Does he really let it fly now?

Crisis
12-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Yep, there's no point in playing Orton next week. Hopefully he's gone after this year and hopefully we're not talking about EJ or Orton starting next year.

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Agreed. EJ is likely a bust but may as well just for completeness. We know that Orton needs to be shown the door at the end of the season. That much is 100% certain. No sense is playing him another snap. Ever.

Fixxxer
12-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Orton got the Raiders into the game with the stupid interception. Carr was scarred ****lless facing our defense, Dareus going down was huge, though.

Novacane
12-21-2014, 06:05 PM
If Orton plays next week I'll make better use of my Sunday afternoon

Mr. Pink
12-21-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm hoping for 52-7 or something similar next week.

X-Era
12-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Not even a question that EJ should start. This team is in full on find a QB mode again.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Orton got the Raiders into the game with the stupid interception. Carr was scarred ****lless facing our defense, Dareus going down was huge, though.

It just shows you what a running game can do for you. People are enamored with QB like Brady, Manning throwing the balls left and right. But the way I see it, the ability to run the ball goes a long way. Big Ben suddenly put up MVP numbers largely because Bell broken out this year.

The Bills just went the opposite, from a run-heavy team last year to not being able to run the ball at all this year.

YardRat
12-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Might as well, nothing to gain or lose.

Buffalogic
12-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Ej time for sure.

Fixxxer
12-21-2014, 06:16 PM
It just shows you what a running game can do for you. People are enamored with QB like Brady, Manning throwing the balls left and right. But the way I see it, the ability to run the ball goes a long way. Big Ben suddenly put up MVP numbers largely because Bell broken out this year.

The Bills just went the opposite, from a run-heavy team last year to not being able to run the ball at all this year.

I agree, though they tried to run Spiller off tackle but they couldn't. Too many 3rd and long today. Urbik is weak at the POA and Pears should be the swing tackle at this point. Don't know what to think about Henderson, he was Mack's ***** today.

Mad Bomber
12-21-2014, 06:16 PM
The Orton "era" is over. May as well get EJ some playing time.

X-Era
12-21-2014, 06:17 PM
The Orton "era" is over. May as well get EJ some playing time.Agree

The Jokeman
12-21-2014, 06:20 PM
The Orton "era" is over. May as well get EJ some playing time.

I agree toss Orton no love to tell him we want him gone so we can use his $5 million somewhere else next year.

justasportsfan
12-21-2014, 06:25 PM
No! Orton still gives us the best chance to beat the pats.

The Jokeman
12-21-2014, 06:28 PM

If we beat the Pats whether it be with Orton or EJ then this season will feel like a real let down. Right now I'm comfortably numb in losing to the Raiders as I thought we had a small chance to make the playoffs this year with 9 wins but if don't make it because we couldn't beat the Chiefs at home or non playoff teams like the Texans and possibly Chiefs and Dolphins well then I will be pissed.

WagonCircler
12-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Send them all away.

Start Fred Jackson at QB.

What's the God damn difference.

djjimkelly
12-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Not even a question that EJ should start. This team is in full on find a QB mode again.

werent we in that mode in week 5 when we benched EJ

IlluminatusUIUC
12-22-2014, 12:23 AM
If we beat the Pats whether it be with Orton or EJ then this season will feel like a real let down. Right now I'm comfortably numb in losing to the Raiders as I thought we had a small chance to make the playoffs this year with 9 wins but if don't make it because we couldn't beat the Chiefs at home or non playoff teams like the Texans and possibly Chiefs and Dolphins well then I will be pissed.

**** no, beating the Patriots is satisfying any week. If Denver wins tomorrow and we knock them off in Week 17, we have the chance of costing them home field and possibly keeping them out of the Super Bowl.

It's worth it.

I think that has a lot more to do with finding Matavius Bryant and facing a slew of piss-weak pass defenses. But having Bell doesn't hurt.

Night Train
12-22-2014, 03:28 AM
I would start every single backup on O next week, to see what we actually have.

I don't care if the final is 72-0 Pats.

Don't Panic
12-22-2014, 03:52 AM
werent we in that mode in week 5 when we benched EJ

Yeah, but at least then we weren't (completely) sure what Orton would look like under center for the Bills. I understood the switch then. Now we absolutely know. Orton is not the future. EJ probably isn't the future. The difference is the probably. That's why you start him and at least inform your own perspective as a FO going into the offseason.

swiper
12-22-2014, 04:45 AM
Geez. The season ended yesterday.

There is absolutely NO reason to start EJ Manuel. He's awful. We know that.

The idea of starting Manuel means you just don't care. So don't even watch the game.

DraftBoy
12-22-2014, 04:52 AM

The idea of starting Manuel means you just don't care. So don't even watch the game.

If starting Manuel next week means we don't care, then what the hell was yesterday then? Because I saw a team that absolutely did not give a crap that the playoffs were on the line.

DraftBoy
12-22-2014, 04:54 AM
I would start every single backup on O next week, to see what we actually have.

I don't care if the final is 72-0 Pats.

Agreed, I'd like to see more of some of young defenders like Ty Powell, Stefan Charles, Corbin Bryant, Ross Cockrell, Randell Johnson, and Larry Dean. Also I'd like to see Kujo get some more time out there to see if a year worth of practice and scout team work has helped him any. The season is over so may as well start evals for next year.

BillsOverDolphins
12-22-2014, 05:01 AM
Start EJ just to see if he's capable of a 300-yd game before the NFL kicks him to the curb

better days
12-22-2014, 06:59 AM

I disagree justa. Orton could not beat the Pats* in Buffalo.

No way in hell he beats them in Foxboro.

Hell Orton couldn't even beat the Raiders.

I would love to see the Bills win next Sunday & I think EJ gives them the best chance of doing that.

notacon
12-22-2014, 07:30 AM
Absolutely not.

Orton owns this season, and putting EJ in the terrible position of being the punching bag for the Pats would be a BIG mistake.

Orton sucks, I have been saying he sucks all season long, and now there is no denying that fact. There needs to be NO DOUBT that Orton is gone after this next game. None.

I have stated many times what Pagula must do. As soon after the end of the Pats game as he can put out an announcement, he should FIRE the whole management and coaching staff of the Bills.

Everyone!

They are responsible for drafting EJ Manual, and then putting him in an untenable position. They are responsible for not recognizing that he was not going to be capable of being the starter for 2014, and in an inexcusable "I guess we better do something" at the last minute debacle, signing, of all people, Kyle Orton, and expecting him to be anything more than what he is...a mediocrity that is not capable of anything more than .500 ball.

Paula must hire the best football mind his big bucks can buy, and put that guy in the leadership position to build this club from scratch.

I admire Ralph Wilson for bringing the NFL to Buffalo, and keeping it here, but, the man just would not do the hard work of hiring the right people and paying them what they needed to be paid. There is no salary cap for coaches and GM's, and Mr. Wilson never came close to paying what needed to be paid to produce a long term winner.

A new day has dawned and Pagula needs to let the whole world know that things are different in Buffalo. They are dedicated to building a winner.

Novacane
12-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Orton gives us no better chance then EJ. I don't know why people still think that.

better days
12-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Orton gives us no better chance then EJ. I don't know why people still think that.

After yesterday, I don't see how people can say Orton should take a single more snap.

He is not one iota more accurate than EJ. He holds the ball too long. He is a Bledsoe like statue back there just waiting to be sacked.

casdhf
12-22-2014, 08:12 AM
If EJ starts on Sunday, then Orton is going to decline his option and walk. We need to start Orton next season, not EJ.

better days
12-22-2014, 08:16 AM
If EJ starts on Sunday, then Orton is going to decline his option and walk. We need to start Orton next season, not EJ.

Let Orton walk if he wants to.

I would rather watch Jeff Tuel compete with EJ for the starting job this summer than Orton.

djjimkelly
12-22-2014, 08:29 AM

i could care less if EJ never takes an nfl snap again

but please thoroughly explain what is the point of starting orton in week 17?

Novacane
12-22-2014, 08:30 AM

Have you watched the last 6 weeks? Insanity!

Novacane
12-22-2014, 08:34 AM
LOL. I still can't get over that someone is seriously worried that Orton will opt out and leave Buffalo! WHO ****ING CARES!

ghz in pittsburgh
12-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Amazing, there are still people believe Orton can lead this team to playoff. His career is 500 and looks like he's about to accomplish that with the Bills, too if he starts next week. We might give him a gift to bench him now so he ends up with a "winning" QB in his career.

justasportsfan
12-22-2014, 08:58 AM

the season for me was over when we lost to the fins. I just want to hurt the pats anyway we can.

better days
12-22-2014, 09:03 AM
the season for me was over when we lost to the fins. I just want to hurt the pats anyway we can.

Well, like I said, I think EJ gives the Bills a better chance to win this game than Orton does.

And the real way to hurt the Pats* is to put a hurting on Brady so he is not 100% going into the playoffs.

That is on the defense. I would love to see a number of personal foul penalties on the defense for beating up on Brady in this game.

casdhf
12-22-2014, 09:04 AM
I think it is much easier to shore up the OL and stick with Orton than find a new QB and 3 new lineman.

Paying fringe starter money to Orton should allow us to keep Hughes, extend Dareus, sign 2 or 3 lineman and another defensive back.

To me, this is the best option.

What else are we going to do? I'm terrified that Pegula throws money at Jay Cutler.

better days
12-22-2014, 09:11 AM
I think it is much easier to shore up the OL and stick with Orton than find a new QB and 3 new lineman.

Paying fringe starter money to Orton should allow us to keep Hughes, extend Dareus, sign 2 or 3 lineman and another defensive back.

What else are we going to do? I'm terrified that Pegula throws money at Jay Cutler.

Even if you upgraded the OL, with Orton at QB, they would look terrible.

Orton holds the ball longer than any OL can block for & he is a statue in the pocket waiting to be sacked.

Orton has not really played any better than EJ & if he starts against the Pats*, his winning percentage will be the same as EJ's.

Novacane
12-22-2014, 09:15 AM

We can do all those things and IMO Orton will still only get the team to .500. I'd rather go with a rookie.

djjimkelly
12-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Absolutely not.

Orton owns this season, and putting EJ in the terrible position of being the punching bag for the Pats would be a BIG mistake.

Orton sucks, I have been saying he sucks all season long, and now there is no denying that fact. There needs to be NO DOUBT that Orton is gone after this next game. None.

I have stated many times what Pagula must do. As soon after the end of the Pats game as he can put out an announcement, he should FIRE the whole management and coaching staff of the Bills.

Everyone!

They are responsible for drafting EJ Manual, and then putting him in an untenable position. They are responsible for not recognizing that he was not going to be capable of being the starter for 2014, and in an inexcusable "I guess we better do something" at the last minute debacle, signing, of all people, Kyle Orton, and expecting him to be anything more than what he is...a mediocrity that is not capable of anything more than .500 ball.

Paula must hire the best football mind his big bucks can buy, and put that guy in the leadership position to build this club from scratch.

I admire Ralph Wilson for bringing the NFL to Buffalo, and keeping it here, but, the man just would not do the hard work of hiring the right people and paying them what they needed to be paid. There is no salary cap for coaches and GM's, and Mr. Wilson never came close to paying what needed to be paid to produce a long term winner.

A new day has dawned and Pagula needs to let the whole world know that things are different in Buffalo. They are dedicated to building a winner.

i agree with you that starting against the patriots would be a bad spot for EJ. to be put in a spot on the road with the patriots playing for homefield is just setting up EJ to fail, but one could argue he was set up to fail from the start

djjimkelly
12-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Even if you upgraded the OL, with Orton at QB, they would look terrible.

Orton holds the ball longer than any OL can block for & he is a statue in the pocket waiting to be sacked.

Orton has not really played any better than EJ & if he starts against the Pats*, his winning percentage will be the same as EJ's.

i would have NEVER dreamed we would have a QB less mobile then drew bledsoe.

2014 proved to me that i can dare to dream.

SpikedLemonade
12-22-2014, 09:23 AM
I don't see the point of starting EJ next week.

It will show us nothing about him and probably just sets him back even further.

Let Orton finish out the season.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-22-2014, 09:24 AM
People are seriously against starting EJ because it could be a difficult game? That's the entire point, I want to see if he's improved. We already know he can beat hapless opponents in front of a supportive crowd when the d hands him multiple turnovers, etc. I want to see if he's learned anything from the bench.

better days
12-22-2014, 09:26 AM
And those that don't want to see EJ start against the Pats*, I would rather watch Jeff Tuel start this game than Orton.

Novacane
12-22-2014, 09:31 AM
I don't see the point of starting EJ next week.

It will show us nothing about him and probably just sets him back even further.

Let Orton finish out the season.

If it sets him back further they just need to release him.

Historian
12-22-2014, 09:37 AM
I want him to play.

Let's see if he's learned anything in the past half season.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2014, 09:39 AM
I've come to the conclusion that Marrone simply cannot afford to allow Manuel to play on the off chance EJ plays lights out against the Pats. It will make him look bad for not going to EJ sooner.

better days
12-22-2014, 09:45 AM
I've come to the conclusion that Marrone simply cannot afford to allow Manuel to play on the off chance EJ plays lights out against the Pats. It will make him look bad for not going to EJ sooner.

That might be true, but I think Marrone will look even worse if he sticks with Orton & he plays as bad as he did against the Raiders.

djjimkelly
12-22-2014, 09:47 AM

i agree with you and if this is the case

marrone should be fired immediately

notacon
12-22-2014, 10:02 AM
i agree with you that starting against the patriots would be a bad spot for EJ. to be put in a spot on the road with the patriots playing for homefield is just setting up EJ to fail, but one could argue he was set up to fail from the start

The sad thing is that EJ was not "set up to fail" on purpose. These guys (GM...coaches) actually thought they were doing the best things for the team.

Which is why they ALL have to go.

notacon
12-22-2014, 10:03 AM
i would have NEVER dreamed we would have a QB less mobile then drew bledsoe.

2014 proved to me that i can dare to dream.

:rofl: Less mobile than Bledsoe with none of the good stuff that Bledsoe brought to the table.

justasportsfan
12-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Well, like I said, I think EJ gives the Bills a better chance to win this game than Orton does.

Marrone has a job to save and beating the pats would likely make his job safer. So if he thinks EJ would give him a better chance to beat the pats , then he starts EJ.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2014, 10:15 AM
The sad thing is that EJ was not "set up to fail" on purpose. These guys (GM...coaches) actually thought they were doing the best things for the team.

Which is why they ALL have to go.

After watching what they did to Orton...not that Orton was great by any stretch...I think it's a coaching thing to turn the guy behind center into well, a pussy. Manuel was afraid to do anything and Orton was afraid to do anything. Orton wasn't that type of player in his first couple games here and wasn't all the way back to his Chicago days.

The common denominator to make both QBs look like absolute dog crap is the coaching staff.

I've now changed my tune on thinking Manuel is a huge bust and flat out garbage, this team and coaching staff ruined whatever chance he may have had to become an NFL QB.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-22-2014, 10:23 AM
After watching what they did to Orton...not that Orton was great by any stretch...I think it's a coaching thing to turn the guy behind center into well, a pussy. Manuel was afraid to do anything and Orton was afraid to do anything. Orton wasn't that type of player in his first couple games here and wasn't all the way back to his Chicago days.

The common denominator to make both QBs look like absolute dog crap is the coaching staff.

I've now changed my tune on thinking Manuel is a huge bust and flat out garbage, this team and coaching staff ruined whatever chance he may have had to become an NFL QB.

This is an excellent point. Orton lost some of that 'gunslinger' that he had in his first few games. It could be that teams adjusted for him, but could also be coaching etc. I agree completely

Ed
12-22-2014, 10:29 AM
I never want to see Orton take a snap for this team again. I really hope he doesn't exercise his player option and waste $7 mil of our cap space. I believe they could still cut him and recoup about $5.5 mil, but I'd rather just see them part ways. With that being said, I don't really like the idea of EJ just being thrown to the wolves with all these losers on offense that have already mailed it in. It doesn't really seem like a good situation to evaluate EJ, but I guess it's still better than another week of Orton.

coastal
12-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Yes start him... open up the offense and let him completely embarrass himself and this franchise one more time.

Bill Cody
12-22-2014, 12:07 PM
My take is Marrone likes EJ about as much as he likes Mike Williams. It would take a Joe Thiesmann type injury for Marrone to put him in.

JohnnyGold
12-22-2014, 01:39 PM
My take is Marrone likes EJ about as much as he likes Mike Williams. It would take a Joe Thiesmann type injury for Marrone to put him in.

Marrone said last week that HE would start Orton as long as HE wanted to, unless someone else told him differently.

So--whatever happens with Manuel this week comes down to what Whaley thinks.

If Manuel doesn't start, it might be safe to assume Bills management is ready to cut bait and move on from that "experiment".

Mr. Miyagi
12-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Let's put it this way.

Our season is over. If Orton starts, it'll be pretty much certainly a one-sided bloodbath. Why not see what we can get out of EJ?

better days
12-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Marrone said last week that HE would start Orton as long as HE wanted to, unless someone else told him differently.

So--whatever happens with Manuel this week comes down to what Whaley thinks.

If Manuel doesn't start, it might be safe to assume Bills management is ready to cut bait and move on from that "experiment".

Or it may be Whaley is giving Marrone enough rope to hang himself.

If Marrone starts Orton & he plays like he did against the Raiders, there will be little doubt Marrone does not know what he is doing.

Cali512
12-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Orton, EJ, Thad, and yes even Tuel looked great there first games. All but tuel who hasnt played since, took a huge step back after a game or 2. EJ was throwing wild his first game last year and this year. That is coaching. 4 QBs do not go into shell mode, there first game the staff sees what they have and while watching film they fix things. Yet the things they fix are almost like, EJ you know that 40 yard pass to Mike to win the game? Well we dont want you doing that pass, to much risk. Orton, In Detroit, i know sammy made the catch but you need to work on your accuracy for that throw. When a staff does that as a QB you aim. You wait to see the WRs numbers than try making the pass. Because you realize the Coach doesnt like when you just sling it, they want perfect passes all the time.

So the first game where EJ made that pass to Williams to essentially keep us alive. He doesnt make that now. Instead Williams open with safety over the top the pass is now directed at the belly which is very hard when a players running 30 yards away and players are underneath. Thats why so many of EJs passes are short. Also is why Orton doesnt throw lobs anymore. The coaches are thinking well if Mike drops that pass its INT. So they ask for more aim which you cant as a QB throw the ball at a WRs numbers every situation.

That Hogan play yesterday was a perfect example. The ball shouldve been lobbed, but i think the coaches put so much of a emphasis on thriwing to the WRs numbers, that he chose to line drive it.

Ortons a gunslinger you see it in the Hogan pass vs Minnesota, the pass to goodwin vs detroit. When Orton has no one fn with him, he attempts those passes. Its after the gane when reviewing that i believe the coaches tell him not to make that pass.