PDA

View Full Version : Orton to start vs New England

WagonCircler
12-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Per WGR.

It's pretty clear that if Marrone is retained, EJ is gone.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Not sure if that's pretty clear at all.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Orton is starting because if Manuel played and played well, somehow, it would make Marrone look stupid for not turning to EJ sooner while Kyle was struggling.

WagonCircler
12-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Orton is starting because if Manuel played and played well, somehow, it would make Marrone look stupid for not turning to EJ sooner while Kyle was struggling.

First of all, that's bull****.

Second of all, even if it was not bull****, then by your logic, Marrone would continue that M.O. next year, and for as long as he's here.

EJ is worthless.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2014, 03:10 PM

Second of all, even if it was not bull****, then by your logic, Marrone would continue that M.O. next year, and for as long as he's here.

EJ is worthless.

It's not bull...Orton the past few weeks has looked every bit as horrendous as Manuel did prior to being benched. If Manuel's talk of just letting it all fly on the field if he gets back out there is true and it actually works with some success, Marrone would like a complete and total fool for not going to him sooner. I'm not saying Manuel could go out and play a good game, I'm just saying anything is possible...EJ has had a good game here and there, if he had one of those Sunday it would bring up a lot of second guessing, likely all the way up to the new owner.

And I don't honestly know if EJ is worthless anymore. What Orton was before coming here and his first couple games here isn't who we saw on Sunday. What we saw Sunday and the past few weekends to be completely honest is a slower afoot version of EJ Manuel. I think coaching, or lack there of, has a lot to do with how absolutely horrendous the QBing looks.

Simply put EJ was completely ruined by an inept coach and even more inept offensive coordinator. Not that I think EJ wouldn't have been garbage either way but it's so easy to see the coaching has had a huge negative impact on his play and development at the NFL level.

WagonCircler
12-23-2014, 03:26 PM
It's not bull...Orton the past few weeks has looked every bit as horrendous as Manuel did prior to being benched. If Manuel's talk of just letting it all fly on the field if he gets back out there is true and it actually works with some success, Marrone would like a complete and total fool for not going to him sooner. I'm not saying Manuel could go out and play a good game, I'm just saying anything is possible...EJ has had a good game here and there, if he had one of those Sunday it would bring up a lot of second guessing, likely all the way up to the new owner.

And I don't honestly know if EJ is worthless anymore. What Orton was before coming here and his first couple games here isn't who we saw on Sunday. What we saw Sunday and the past few weekends to be completely honest is a slower afoot version of EJ Manuel. I think coaching, or lack there of, has a lot to do with how absolutely horrendous the QBing looks.

Simply put EJ was completely ruined by an inept coach and even more inept offensive coordinator. Not that I think EJ wouldn't have been garbage either way but it's so easy to see the coaching has had a huge negative impact on his play and development at the NFL level.

You leave out the most likely scenario of all in your theory.

That they both suck.

EJ was a total reach in the draft and would likely have been a third rounder. He showed why last year and the beginning of this year.

Orton was on his couch eating Doritos until the last day of training camp.

They're both worthless, and no coach in the world can do anything to change that.

better days
12-23-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm not surprised at all.

I hope Orton has the worst game of his career & Marrone is fired before Tuesday.

sudzy
12-23-2014, 03:40 PM
The both suck and I hope they are both gone next year.

better days
12-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Pegula listens to WGR all the time.

He has to know the vast majority of the fan base want Hackett & Orton at the very least gone before TC starts.

swiper
12-24-2014, 05:26 AM
Manuel will get the full 2015 preseason to show he's improved.

Don't Panic
12-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Replacing Manuel with Orton was about replacing an inexperienced QB with a veteran... nothing more. Marrone realized he had a chance to do something now and that a vet gave him a better chance to do that. He's not going with Orton this week because he feels he gives him the best chance to win, not because he's afraid of admitting he was wrong. If he thought EJ was capable of playing better, he'd go with him.

WagonCircler
12-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Manuel will get the full 2015 preseason to show he's improved.

Then there will be a new Head Coach in 2016 and a very high draft choice.

better days
12-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Then there will be a new Head Coach in 2016 and a very high draft choice.

Why? Because EJ gets a CHANCE in PRESEASON to show if he has IMPROVED?

RIDICULOUS.

And I HOPE there is a new HC in 2015.

justasportsfan
12-24-2014, 09:17 AM

You're reading too much into it. Orton is starting because Marrone has a job to save. If the bills beat the Pats everyone will say "DM can beat the pats so lets keep him" .If EJ was better in Marrones mind then he would start EJ because he needs to keep his job.

EDS
12-24-2014, 09:28 AM
I think both Manuel and Orton are fine back-up QBs.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Replacing Manuel with Orton was about replacing an inexperienced QB with a veteran... nothing more. Marrone realized he had a chance to do something now and that a vet gave him a better chance to do that. He's not going with Orton this week because he feels he gives him the best chance to win,not because he's afraid of admitting he was wrong. If he thought EJ was capable of playing better, he'd go with him.

Yeah, Marrone's start or sit decisions have been so flawless before, why should we question them now?

better days
12-24-2014, 10:27 AM
You're reading too much into it. Orton is starting because Marrone has a job to save. If the bills beat the Pats everyone will say "DM can beat the pats so lets keep him" .If EJ was better in Marrones mind then he would start EJ because he needs to keep his job.

I agree. But I don't think Orton gives the Bills any better chance to win than EJ would.

And after the Bills lose to the Pats* there can be no argument about keeping Marrone.

8-8 is not an improvement on 6-10. It just means you draft a couple spots lower.

SpikedLemonade
12-24-2014, 11:13 AM
I agree. But I don't think Orton gives the Bills any better chance to win than EJ would.

And after the Bills lose to the Pats* there can be no argument about keeping Marrone.

8-8 is not an improvement on 6-10. It just means you draft a couple spots lower.

Or in this case, not at all in the 1st round.

I agree that 8-8 isn't really an improvement over 6-10.

With our QB and OL situation being what it is and no 1st round pick, there is no sense of momentum towards a 10-6 season next year.

Is our D really going to play even better next year?

WagonCircler
12-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Why? Because EJ gets a CHANCE in PRESEASON to show if he has IMPROVED?

RIDICULOUS.

And I HOPE there is a new HC in 2015.

Actually, I misread Swiper's post and thought he said the EJ would get the 2015 season to prove himself.

But now that I think about it, YES, we are fuct if EJ gets the preseason, because that will mean we didn't add a new QB during the offseason.

EJ needs to go away.

WagonCircler
12-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Actually, thanks to our idiot GM, we draft an entire round later.

stuckincincy
12-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Excerpt from:

Is EJ Manuel in Buffalo Bills' 2015 plans?
By Chris Wesseling Around the NFL Writer Published: Dec. 24, 2014 at 11:37 a.m. Updated: Dec. 24, 2014 at 12:03 p.m.

..."Orton has devolved into an inaccurate checkdown machine over the course of the season, failing to record a QBR rating over 30.0 in five of the past seven games. Over the past month, he has managed just 6.2 yards per attempt to go with a 5:7 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Marrone believes Orton is still superior to Manuel "from the standpoint of efficiency, control and things of that nature."

The Bills are stuck in NFL purgatory, with the quarterback position holding a top-five defense hostage. Absent a first-round draft pick due to the Sammy Watkins trade, there's no solution in sight.

Orton is due to count $7 million against the salary cap in 2015, including a base salary of $5.4 million.

Marrone's refusal to give Manuel a look-see in a meaningless Week 17 game suggests the Bills have little choice but to stay the course with Orton next season."...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000448968/article/is-ej-manuel-in-buffalo-bills-2015-plans

SpikedLemonade
12-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Excerpt from:

Is EJ Manuel in Buffalo Bills' 2015 plans?
By Chris Wesseling Around the NFL Writer Published: Dec. 24, 2014 at 11:37 a.m. Updated: Dec. 24, 2014 at 12:03 p.m.

..."Orton has devolved into an inaccurate checkdown machine over the course of the season, failing to record a QBR rating over 30.0 in five of the past seven games. Over the past month, he has managed just 6.2 yards per attempt to go with a 5:7 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Marrone believes Orton is still superior to Manuel "from the standpoint of efficiency, control and things of that nature."

The Bills are stuck in NFL purgatory, with the quarterback position holding a top-five defense hostage. Absent a first-round draft pick due to the Sammy Watkins trade, there's no solution in sight.

Orton is due to count $7 million against the salary cap in 2015, including a base salary of $5.4 million.

Marrone's refusal to give Manuel a look-see in a meaningless Week 17 game suggests the Bills have little choice but to stay the course with Orton next season."...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000448968/article/is-ej-manuel-in-buffalo-bills-2015-plans

With this current regime of management and coaching we are painted into a corner of another 6-10 to 8-8 season.

Without a new regime and rebuild, we are stuck.

notacon
12-24-2014, 02:50 PM

EJ is worthless.

I don't know about EJ being "worthless", I don't think anyone knows at this point in his career. I DO know that Orton certainly is.

I suspect that it's a bigger chance that both Marrone and Orton are gone next year and EJ stays.