PDA

View Full Version : I Think The Pegula's Are Going To Clean House

BillsImpossible
12-23-2014, 07:37 PM
New GM, new coach, and a new offensive staff.

No sense in waiting anymore. Darcy Regier may as well be Doug Whaley and Lindy Ruff is Doug Marrone.

I don't want to watch the 2015 season knowing the inevitable, another year of hope and dope at most.

Bill Polian becomes the next GM, again. If you don't believe that, all I have to say is Ted Nolan.

The Bills need something to sell next year, and bringing back Marrone and Co. with Kyle Orton and just a little more offensive line help isn't going to sell.

Doug Whaley failed when he drafted EJ Manuel, and he failed when he drafted Sammy Watkins because he did not turn out to be the difference maker for EJ Manuel nor the Bills playoff hopes. He also had a say in drafting CJ Spiller in the first round.

Doug Whaley's failure to address the Bills offensive line this past offseason (and others) was his most horrendous mistake of all.

I don't understand how Whaley could make such a huge investment in Manuel and not give him the best protection possible.

Whaley drafted a tackle in Cyrus Kouandjio in the 2nd round when they needed help at guard the most. "Interior lineman!" were screaming out loud to be drafted, and the best the Bills could do was draft Cyril Richardson in the 5th round.

Doug Whaley's gotta go.

Doug Marrone recently said that Leodis McKelvin, "Was having a Pro-Bowl year," until he got hurt. He also decided to bench Corey Graham, and Kraig Urbik for most of the season, couldn't handle Mike Williams, and punts on 4th and 1 when it matters most.

It's over. Lessons learned from the past. I'm sick of the Bills repeating the same old crap every year!

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a ducks....it sucks!

2 years of crap, and the only thing the Bills have to show for it is a respectable defense at best.

Jim Schwartz deserves another shot at being a head coach in the NFL. Will it be with the Bills?

If the Bills defense had an offense that could score touchdowns, we'd all be talking about how great the Bills defense is heading into the playoffs.

I think Bill Polian will agree with that and the team will go about trying to find the best offensive coordinator possible to help turn around an offense that hasn't been seriously relevant since Jim Kelly retired 18 years ago.

BertSquirtgum
12-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I think you think too much.

Uncle Jesse
12-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Bill Polian would be great if this was 20 years ago. He's like 100, no thanks.

BillsImpossible
12-23-2014, 07:50 PM
What's going to sell the 2015 season?

Kyle Orton and a 2nd round guard?

Novacane
12-23-2014, 07:56 PM

There's people here that will be happy with that. That's the sad part!

Ginger Vitis
12-23-2014, 10:18 PM
New GM, new coach, and a new offensive staff.

No sense in waiting anymore. Darcy Regier may as well be Doug Whaley and Lindy Ruff is Doug Marrone.

Big problem with your premise.. Pegula kept Regier and Ruff around a few years after he bought the Sabres

BertSquirtgum
12-23-2014, 10:31 PM
If they don't clean house...starting with Russ Brandon....I don't know how much time and emotion I will put into following them this coming year. The Bills needs a fresh new start to go along with the fresh new owners.

HHURRICANE
12-24-2014, 02:14 AM
Whaley has made some good moves here. Jerry Hughes for one.

The kjuondo pick is mind numbing. He picked a player that every other team knew was an issue.

I'd keep Whaley, and fire everyone else except Shwartz. And than bring someone above Whaley who has a say.

Meathead
12-24-2014, 03:47 AM
heres whats gonna happen: nuthin

thank god its the pegulas running the show and not you numnuts. marrone has certainly done enough to warrant another season. cleaning house now would be a foolish emotional response and terry is no fool. he gonna ride with the guys hes got at least another season

theres probably only a ten pcent chance hackett goes. hes basically marrones offensive assistant and theres little chance doug gives up that long relationship. i suspect they will make an example out of the oline coach morris and fire him but thats about it

and there is zero chance whaley is gone for a looong time. the bills invested heavily in getting him from an excellent steelers organization and outside of a questionably expensive investment in sammy hes generally done a very good job. they arent going to just flush that down the can

this is nothing like the sabres situation and terry showed patience there until it was obvious he needed to take action. the bills simply are not in that state and hes gonna do the smart thing, go for continuity and let them try to finish the job theyve started. personally im cool widat

Don't Panic
12-24-2014, 04:20 AM

Winning.

Typ0
12-24-2014, 05:10 AM
The analogy of Regier to Whaley is not appropriate. Regier was a good GM and he built the team several times over...but situationally he burned some bridges with players over the years that was hampering his ability to bring in veteran talent to complete the puzzle. That's why he was let go. That is no where near the situation with Whaley and I don't expect his being let go.

I do hope the entire coaching staff is turned over though.

YardRat
12-24-2014, 05:43 AM
They aren't going to clean house this off-season.

DynaPaul
12-24-2014, 06:18 AM

Russ Brandon - "We didn't have a losing season last year."

better days
12-24-2014, 06:35 AM

thank god its the pegulas running the show and not you numnuts. marrone has certainly done enough to warrant another season. cleaning house now would be a foolish emotional response and terry is no fool. he gonna ride with the guys hes got at least another season

theres probably only a ten pcent chance hackett goes. hes basically marrones offensive assistant and theres little chance doug gives up that long relationship. i suspect they will make an example out of the oline coach morris and fire him but thats about it

and there is zero chance whaley is gone for a looong time. the bills invested heavily in getting him from an excellent steelers organization and outside of a questionably expensive investment in sammy hes generally done a very good job. they arent going to just flush that down the can

this is nothing like the sabres situation and terry showed patience there until it was obvious he needed to take action. the bills simply are not in that state and hes gonna do the smart thing, go for continuity and let them try to finish the job theyve started. personally im cool widat

Winning 8 games is NOT enough for Marrone to stay.

The Bills should have won 8 games LAST YEAR.

This year the Bills were SUPPOSED to make the playoffs.

Marrone FAILED.

Dude
12-24-2014, 07:06 AM
There is no correlation between Ted Nolan getting hired and Bill Polian returning as Bills GM. Pegula didn't hire Nolan, Pat LaFontaine did, and even then it was on an interim basis.

Night Train
12-24-2014, 07:21 AM
We'll know within the next 2 weeks.

Until then, keep guessing...because that's all the press is doing.

better days
12-24-2014, 07:23 AM
I think Pegula is smart enough to know you have to give people reason to hope to get them in the seats.

If things stay status quo, I doubt very many people would have any hope at all that the team will improve next year.

Night Train
12-24-2014, 07:33 AM
I think Pegula is smart enough to know you have to give people reason to hope to get them in the seats.

If things stay status quo, I doubt very many people would have any hope at all that the team will improve next year.

The key is lesson learned after NOT making any moves with the Sabres, until it was too late. If he's listening too much to Darcy Brandon, then it's more of the same and that means 6-8 wins again.

better days
12-24-2014, 07:38 AM
The key is lesson learned after NOT making any moves with the Sabres, until it was too late. If he's listening too much to Darcy Brandon, then it's more of the same and that means 6-8 wins again.

Shortly after he bought the Bills, Pegula said Brandon will no longer be involved in football decisions & Whaley would no longer report to Brandon.

Whaley now reports directly to the Pegula's.

Don't Panic
12-24-2014, 07:43 AM

I did a search on the wording here. Oddly, a similar post appeared on the following days...

Dec 24, 2000
Dec 24, 2001
Dec 24, 2002
Dec 24, 2003
Dec 24, 2004
Dec 24, 2005
Dec 24, 2006
Dec 24, 2007
Dec 24, 2008
Dec 24, 2009
Dec 24, 2010
Dec 24, 2011
Dec 24, 2012
Dec 24, 2013

Interesting trend... all I'm saying is that this fan base *****es a lot, but they still find a way to get their but in a seat come Sunday.

Night Train
12-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Shortly after he bought the Bills, Pegula said Brandon will no longer be involved in football decisions & Whaley would no longer report to Brandon.

Whaley now reports directly to the Pegula's.

I read all that but Brandon may still be trying to defend his past misdeeds by telling him how he needs to market the team.

Ernie Acorsi is an old Penn St. alum. I'm hoping someone got Pegula on the phone with him to talk and give him an honest view of this team. My fear is the current self preservation crew that isn't moving the organization forward will spin a tale of false hope, based on the Defense.

That dreck they call an offense can't be explained other than a complete flop. Right now, they are miles away from being considered a playoff team until that O is seriously addressed.

EDS
12-24-2014, 09:43 AM
I could not argue with a house cleaning by Pegula. His GM has used his first three first round picks on a suspect QB and a talented wide receiver who has been outplayed by other rookie wide receivers (I will certainly give you that Beckham has a far superior QB situation, put neither Evans or Benjamin are the beneficiaries of good QB play). Whaley hit home runs on Kiko and Henderson, with solid doubles on Wood and Brown.

kingJofNYC
12-24-2014, 10:17 AM
I could not argue with a house cleaning by Pegula. His GM has used his first three first round picks on a suspect QB and a talented wide receiver who has been outplayed by other rookie wide receivers (I will certainly give you that Beckham has a far superior QB situation, put neither Evans or Benjamin are the beneficiaries of good QB play). Whaley hit home runs on Kiko and Henderson, with solid doubles on Wood and Brown.

I don't think Henderson is a Home Run, he's a fringe starter that needs to drastically improve. Whaley hit a home run with Robey and Hughes, those were homeruns in my opinion. Kiko's a good one too but he was second round pick so that should be expected. Cyrus is a disaster and we drafted Richardson ahead of a guy like Linsley who would have been a real home run on the OL. Basically, all of our OL personnel decisions have been a disaster under Whaley, sans Henderson who would be a backup if we actually had talent at the OL position.

Don't think Benjamin has outplayed Watkins, look at their numbers, Benjamin has the TDs but has more drops and less air yards.

With regards to the Pegula's, they've been awfully quiet since taking over. Hard to tell which way things will go, but I'm betting on everyone staying, including Hackett.

Dr. Who
12-24-2014, 10:56 AM

I think you are right about what will happen. I don't like Hackett and Marrone frankly irritates me. I think he's stubborn and I can't understand his personnel moves. Still, I'm not a football expert and I'm on the outside, so . . . I like Whaley and your reasoning is sound. Don't the Pegula's like the Steelers, have a Pittsburgh connection, something? To the OP, you do know that Polian recently said he thought Marrone should be considered for coach of the year? I surmise Polian would not fire Marrone.

SpikedLemonade
12-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Pegula is wasting a great opportunity to keep the momentum from his purchase going if he keeps everyone in place next year.

Our D can't really play better next year than they did this year. If anything we may lose Hughes and another FA. We could lose Schwartz as well although unlikely.

This O will not improve next year under Hackett and Marrone. They are simply incapable. We will be limited in improving our OL since we need to upgrade 3 of the 5 positions.

So rather than a fresh start and new hope that comes with with a new OC, we will middle our way to a 7-9 record next year and then a whole new regime in 2016. It will be a wasted year.

Dr. Who
12-24-2014, 11:33 AM
I would can Marrone and Hackett, just don't think it will happen.
If we keep Hughes and Kiko comes back, why can't the defense be better, especially if, per impossible, the offense were to achieve at least average competency?

BillsImpossible
12-24-2014, 06:13 PM
I would can Marrone and Hackett, just don't think it will happen.
If we keep Hughes and Kiko comes back, why can't the defense be better, especially if, per impossible, the offense were to achieve at least average competency?

Achieving, 'at least average competency,' out of the offense should not be a bench mark to reach.

The Bills offense sucks. It has sucked for a very, very, very, ridiculous long time.

Drew Bledsoe was very good for about 8 games, and that's about it.

Every other quarterback the Bills have had has been a fart.

The same old crap has got to go! Playing Orton next year is like Fitzpatrick 3.0.

Manuel is a bust, and I'll eat that crow so long as the Bills freaking move on from the past and get with the 21st century on offense.

DesertFox24
12-24-2014, 06:18 PM
A new regime will have same results until the franchise qb is in place. Marrone and Whaley are not the problem they are just suffering from previous regimes. It drafting enough qbs and nix decision to wait till the team was good enough to draft one.

I keep them around and tell them to draft a qb every year and show improvement and get a stop gap till we get that FranchiSe guy.

As for us not making the playoffs one of the main reasons we are not is because the afc north played the NFC south. And we played the afc west. Next year our schedule is more favorable and they play NFC and afc west.

There are deficiencies and they are well documented but there are some things to really build around and solid progress has been seen. We have three wins against playoff teams and teams with 11 wins or more. We beat good teams with good records. Yea they lost three games we should have won but there has been enough progress to think marrone has this thing headed in the right direction and to keep with him.

Whaley has drafted some very good players and also signed found some players that helped us win games. For the first time in a long time I am confident we will draft players that will help us.

I don't think cryus or cockrell are bust they will hopefully develop and we will see what they do next year. Obviously if it is is repeat then yes they busted. But Watkins brown Henderson are three long time starters and that is the goal of every team to find three starters anything more is icing. Heck most teams shot for two startera and then special teams guys and depth.

I get the frustration of 15 seasons but I think t is finally the right group to build a consistent winner.

ICRockets
12-24-2014, 08:45 PM
I think getting rid of both Dougs would be a mistake, as there is a very obvious disconnect in philosophies between the two. As much as I like Marrone, I have to admit that he just is not the right fit for us. I more or less clean house on the offensive side of the ball: get rid of Marrone, Hackett, Morris, Wheatley...I don't have a problem with Rob Moore, so I'm open to having him stay if our new head coach and OC like him. But we need a coach who has the same balls-to-the-wall mentality that Whaley brings to the team.

I go back to what someone said on WGR after the Dolphins game: "If you're going to go for broke in the draft, you need to go for broke on the field." It's that simple. Doug Marrone has consistently shown reticence to be the aggressor on Sundays. We need a head coach with balls. I wouldn't be opposed to Jim Schwartz, though I prefer him in his current role.

Dr. Who
12-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Achieving, 'at least average competency,' out of the offense should not be a bench mark to reach.

The Bills offense sucks. It has sucked for a very, very, very, ridiculous long time.

Drew Bledsoe was very good for about 8 games, and that's about it.

Every other quarterback the Bills have had has been a fart.

The same old crap has got to go! Playing Orton next year is like Fitzpatrick 3.0.

Manuel is a bust, and I'll eat that crow so long as the Bills freaking move on from the past and get with the 21st century on offense.

Basic reading comprehension: "per impossible" is like "scare quotes," -- it is an acknowledgement of how bad the offense is and has been.

Skooby
12-28-2014, 03:09 AM
I think the OP knows more than he's letting on.

sudzy
12-28-2014, 04:52 AM
I did a search on the wording here. Oddly, a similar post appeared on the following days...

Dec 24, 2000
Dec 24, 2001
Dec 24, 2002
Dec 24, 2003
Dec 24, 2004
Dec 24, 2005
Dec 24, 2006
Dec 24, 2007
Dec 24, 2008
Dec 24, 2009
Dec 24, 2010
Dec 24, 2011
Dec 24, 2012
Dec 24, 2013

Interesting trend... all I'm saying is that this fan base *****es a lot, but they still find a way to get their but in a seat come Sunday.

Brandon is a great salesman. He could sell ice in Antarctica. To sell out every game, for a team that hasn't made the playoffs since the Clinton impeachment trial and the "Sopranos" debut is incredible. If he's allowed to continue he'd make another big move that wouldn't get the Bills any closer to being a contender, but will get fans in their seats.

WagonCircler
12-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Brandon is a great salesman. He could sell ice in Antarctica..

I think this is a GIANT misconception. An urban legend.

Exactly what that Russ Brandon has done has made you more of a Bills fan?

Exactly what that Russ Brandon did makes him such a great salesman? Answering the phone when Canadian idiots wanted to worm their way into buying the team by buying Bills home games? How did that work out?

Moving training camp to his alma mater? Does one extra person buy a Bills season ticket because the Bills moved training camp to Rochester? Hell no.

Brandon is a weasel who sucked up to an old man who had lost his faculties. Period.

Novacane
12-28-2014, 11:18 AM
I think this is a GIANT misconception. An urban legend.

Exactly what that Russ Brandon has done has made you more of a Bills fan?

Exactly what that Russ Brandon did makes him such a great salesman? Answering the phone when Canadian idiots wanted to worm their way into buying the team by buying Bills home games? How did that work out?

Moving training camp to his alma mater? Does one extra person buy a Bills season ticket because the Bills moved training camp to Rochester? Hell no.

Brandon is a weasel who sucked up to an old man who had lost his faculties. Period.

Repeat something enough times many will believe it!

Mr. Cynical
12-28-2014, 03:06 PM
So rather than a fresh start and new hope that comes with with a new OC, we will middle our way to a 7-9 record next year and then a whole new regime in 2016. It will be a wasted year.

Unfortunately, these are the cold hard facts. And add to that the D will start to get longer in the tooth and/or lose ppl in 3 years, so wasting next year becomes even more egregious.

WagonCircler
12-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately, these are the cold hard facts. And add to that the D will start to get longer in the tooth and/or lose ppl in 3 years, so wasting next year becomes even more egregious.

Which is why putting the team in this spot at QB should cost Whaley his job.

Uncle Jesse
12-28-2014, 07:40 PM
The Marrone Pony isn't riding out of town anytime soon.