PDA

View Full Version : We wouldn't have made it anyways (Go Ravens & Chargers!)

JohnnyGold
12-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Lost in the shuffle of Buffalo's disastrous showing last Sunday is the fact that the Bengals stunned the Broncos on Monday night--exposing Manning and winning a game that 99% of us looked at as a "sure thing" in the scenarios that had the Bills making the playoffs.

If you can shift your mind over to the alternate reality where Buffalo beat Oakland last Sunday (and I know that's hard for some of you, so spare the "but we didn't beat Oakland" comments), take a look at what we would need to have happen this coming Sunday to make the playoffs:

Buffalo makes the playoffs with
* A win over the Patriots (NE -5.5)
* Browns beat the Ravens (Bal -10)
* Chiefs beat the Chargers (KC -2.5)

So... despite that terrible loss last weekend, it may actually be for the best. And the true dagger in the heart would have been the Bengals beating the Broncos.

How heartbreaking would it have been for Buf to win out!... and then miss the playoffs because the Ravens beat the Browns?

YardRat
12-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Cincinnati and San Diego winning last week really tightened up the noose, and Baltimore losing created one more scenario that nobody thought would be available. Regardless of the eventual outcome of the playoff participants, it's inexcusable to lose to a 2-12 team when a playoff spot is still feasible, and it sure would have been nice to go into New England still clinging to a chance to make it, regardless how slim.

JohnnyGold
12-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Cincinnati and San Diego winning last week really tightened up the noose, and Baltimore losing created one more scenario that nobody thought would be available. Regardless of the eventual outcome of the playoff participants, it's inexcusable to lose to a 2-12 team when a playoff spot is still feasible, and it sure would have been nice to go into New England still clinging to a chance to make it, regardless how slim.

I agree!

And I would have loved to have spent this Christmas week looking forward to a meaningful week 17 game against our most hated rivals.

But--the agony of (if it happened) beating the Patriots and then missing the playoffs because the Ravens beat the Browns would have been the worst Bills related heart break since the Music City Miracle, bar none!

I very much prefer our season ending due to incompetence on the offensive side of the ball, which may result in sweeping changes (new QB, OC, etc.) than the alternative, which would have been win out, likely miss the playoffs due to Baltimore beating Cleveland, and keep the team intact for a run at the playoffs in 2015.

Goobylal
12-25-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm hoping that the loss to the Raiders makes Pegs want to clean house. I figured that 9-7 would have saved him, but 8-8 (I doubt they beat NE) likely won't. Too many games lost that should have been wins.

feldspar
12-26-2014, 05:59 AM
I'm hoping that the loss to the Raiders makes Pegs want to clean house. I figured that 9-7 would have saved him, but 8-8 (I doubt they beat NE) likely won't. Too many games lost that should have been wins.

Personally, I'm hoping that the Pegulas won't make a series of blind, wide-sweeping moves that many knee-jerk fans would have them do. Just scapegoat some people in fairly prominent positions. For what? Terry Pegula has no experience in football, does he? His only credentials are massive amounts of money. He'd be a fool to go around "cleaning house" just because the Bills didn't make the playoffs. Especially a second year coach and a guy that has been GM for a year-and-a-half, when the team has shown improvement. Who is he going to hire, a big-name pipe-dream like Cowher? Bill Polian, who actually really likes Marrone?

I don't think that there will be many changes at the top this year. We need a much better o-line and quarterback play. Which person are you going to blame from the CURRENT regime for not bringing in some phantom quality QB who was not available? It's not as easy as saying "clean house." Do you think that it can't be worse? It can. This isn't the time for a total rebuild IMO.

better days
12-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Personally, I'm hoping that the Pegulas won't make a series of blind, wide-sweeping moves that many knee-jerk fans would have them do. Just scapegoat some people in fairly prominent positions. For what? Terry Pegula has no experience in football, does he? His only credentials are massive amounts of money. He'd be a fool to go around "cleaning house" just because the Bills didn't make the playoffs. Especially a second year coach and a guy that has been GM for a year-and-a-half, when the team has shown improvement. Who is he going to hire, a big-name pipe-dream like Cowher? Bill Polian, who actually really likes Marrone?

I don't think that there will be many changes at the top this year. We need a much better o-line and quarterback play. Which person are you going to blame from the CURRENT regime for not bringing in some phantom quality QB who was not available? It's not as easy as saying "clean house." Do you think that it can't be worse? It can. This isn't the time for a total rebuild IMO.

I would be happy to see Whaley stay, but I want to see Marrone & everyone on the offensive side of the ball fired.

I would rather see a total house cleaning than status quo next year.

And IMO, you really can't get any worse than 6-10 followed by 8-8.

Marrone made NO IMPROVEMENT in two years, I doubt he does if given a third year.

Goobylal
12-26-2014, 09:48 AM
I would be happy to see Whaley stay, but I want to see Marrone & everyone on the offensive side of the ball fired.

I would rather see a total house cleaning than status quo next year.

And IMO, you really can't get any worse than 6-10 followed by 8-8.

Marrone made NO IMPROVEMENT in two years, I doubt he does if given a third year.
This. I would have given Marrone another year (although I'd still have wanted Hackett gone) if the Bills beat the Raiders and were at least competitive in the last game against NE, but it's inexcusable to lose to a 2-12 team with a rookie QB. Now I just want Marrone and most, if not all, of the offensive coaches gone.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Alex Smith is out for the Chargers game. I think that sealed our fates.

The Jokeman
12-26-2014, 04:24 PM

It could be worse we could have been the Chiefs and lost to the Raiders who were 0-10 at the time they were defeated, heck the 49ers lost to the Raiders too and might have cost themselves a playoff spot too. No excuse of course for our running game to garner 13 yards (or whatever number it was) vs the 26th ranked rush defense.