• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Is The Read Option Offense Dead Yet?

Not even close.

RGIII, Cam Newton, and Colin Kaepernick all had a bad year, but Russell Wilson, Alex Smith, Ryan Tannehill, Nick Foles, and even Mark Sanchez have been successful running the read option offense in 2014.

This website is for sale! soshcentral.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, soshcentral.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Ronald Reagan, who was pretty good at debates, could offer an argument as to the staying power of the read option. Some dismiss the package as a fad already fading from the NFL. But Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera says he watched the read option in the 1940 movie “Knute Rockne, All American,” which included Reagan as triple-threat halfback George Gipp.

The Bills put all of their eggs in EJ Manuel and Sammy Watkins baskets.

Thinking of EJ Manuel running the read option offense as he was originally drafted to do is a more entertaining thought than resting the Bills 2015 hopes and dreams on a turtle.
  • SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: Is The Read Option Offense Dead Yet?

The jury is out, but the early returns are not good.

It will take a very creative OC to successfully pull it off.

Hackett is as dumb as a piece of crap.

It won't happen under his influence.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
      The jury is out, but the early returns are not good.

It will take a very creative OC to successfully pull it off.

Hackett is as dumb as a piece of crap.

It won't happen under his influence.
      Hackett and Marrone are conjoined at the hip.

The Bills offense has never really been alone in Hackett's hands, Marrone has always had a very heavy influence.

They both need to go because the offense has simply sucked under their leadership.

How to fix EJ Manuel?

Give him a head coach and an offensive coordinator that know how to utilize talent instead of wasting it.

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
        Not even close.

RGIII, Cam Newton, and Colin Kaepernick all had a bad year, but Russell Wilson, Alex Smith, Ryan Tannehill, Nick Foles, and even Mark Sanchez have been successful running the read option offense in 2014.
        calling Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill or even Alex Smith read option QBs is an insult to all three of those men. All three of those men run highly complex nfl offenses which happen to have some elements of the read option in a handful of plays. All three of them can operate under center and in the pocket. So no... they aren't read option QBs, nor could you classify their offenses as read-option offenses.

Cam Newton doesn't run the read option either, and Kaepernick and RGIIIs problem this year is their coaches didn't run it enough.
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• BillsImpossible
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
          calling Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill or even Alex Smith read option QBs is an insult to all three of those men. All three of those men run highly complex nfl offenses which happen to have some elements of the read option in a handful of plays. All three of them can operate under center and in the pocket. So no... they aren't read option QBs, nor could you classify their offenses as read-option offenses.

Cam Newton doesn't run the read option either, and Kaepernick and RGIIIs problem this year is their coaches didn't run it enough.
          I actually agree with you more than the 3 articles I posted above, but your last sentence is confusing.

'Cam Newton doesn't run the read option either, and Kaepernick and RGIIIs problem this year is their coaches didn't run it enough.'

That's like saying North Korea doesn't have nuclear weapons, and Russia and China don't use theirs enough.

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

The pros are going to have to take what the colleges give them to some extent. If there are a lot of spread option offenses being run in college, then there is going to be a shift to more spread option looks in the NFL. You have to bake with the ingredients in the kitchen, and there is no doubt a shift is occurring in the college ranks that will eventually make its way to the pros. The traditionalists may not like it, but the bottom line is that sea change is happening as we speak. I only see the spread option becoming more prevalent as time goes by.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
              The pros are going to have to take what the colleges give them to some extent. If there are a lot of spread option offenses being run in college, then there is going to be a shift to more spread option looks in the NFL. You have to bake with the ingredients in the kitchen, and there is no doubt a shift is occurring in the college ranks that will eventually make its way to the pros. The traditionalists may not like it, but the bottom line is that sea change is happening as we speak. I only see the spread option becoming more prevalent as time goes by.
              Yup. Been going on now since before the Gailey hire. It also explains why teams are desperate for the few middlin' pro stylers available. The successful offenses are adapting to the ingredients college is giving them.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Not even close.

This website is for sale! soshcentral.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, soshcentral.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Ronald Reagan, who was pretty good at debates, could offer an argument as to the staying power of the read option. Some dismiss the package as a fad already fading from the NFL. But Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera says he watched the read option in the 1940 movie “Knute Rockne, All American,” which included Reagan as triple-threat halfback George Gipp.

The Bills put all of their eggs in EJ Manuel and Sammy Watkins baskets.

Thinking of EJ Manuel running the read option offense as he was originally drafted to do is a more entertaining thought than resting the Bills 2015 hopes and dreams on a turtle.
                I like the option and I think it is a very useful concept to integrate into your offense, but EJ Manuel is complete garbage at running it. Just because he's big and fast doesn't make him a successful runner.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                  I like the option and I think it is a very useful concept to integrate into your offense, but EJ Manuel is complete garbage at running it. Just because he's big and fast doesn't make him a successful runner.
                  Agreed. He's not a read option quarterback, because he rarely exercises his option to run. Pretty much eliminates the effectiveness of the play.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                    CIN has been using it with success this season. Dalton has three runs of 20 yds. and has rushed for 4 tds.
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                      Agreed. He's not a read option quarterback, because he rarely exercises his option to run. Pretty much eliminates the effectiveness of the play.
                      The QB doesn't need to run all that much to establish it as a threat, but I agree that the defense needs to think he will. One play I like and I've seen Philly and Buffalo both run is to read the olb/de. If the de plays the QB, hand off. If he plays the run, pull it and throw to a receiver screen set up behind the DE.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

I actually agree with you more than the 3 articles I posted above, but your last sentence is confusing.

'Cam Newton doesn't run the read option either, and Kaepernick and RGIIIs problem this year is their coaches didn't run it enough.'

That's like saying North Korea doesn't have nuclear weapons, and Russia and China don't use theirs enough.
                        Cam Newton isn't a read-option QB~

RGIII wasn't in a read-option offense this year (which is why he struggled)
                        Kaepernick's offense was almost completely lacking any read-option plays this year as well (which is probably why he struggled)
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

It's only good as a wrinkle to throw in there at certain times, not as your main offense's play repertoire.

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

uh im pretty certain ej didnt run on many ro plays bc his coaching told him not to. you would too if your franchise that hasnt worked out so far but still at least im hopeful qb had three knee injuries the previous season
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Jaybird
                              • Dec 2005

EJ is way too slow and reading and reacting to run the read option. He doesn't understand or see what the D is doing. He has shown zero ability to run any kind of offence, forget about a style that requires him to be cerebral

Comment

Working...
                              X