PDA

View Full Version : Marone: Blame me not Hackett for offensive struggles.

Novacane
12-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Firing Hackett won't change a thing

The Bills have eight wins and one of the best defenses in the league, which makes it pretty obvious where the blame will lie should they fail to find a door into the playoffs over the next two weeks.

It’s the offense, obviously, and head coach Doug Marrone tried to head off criticism of offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett for that unit’s shortcomings on Thursday. Marrone said that blame should be on him for “anything that happens” with the football team and said that Hackett has been dealt a tough hand when asked about what he’d discuss with Hackett after the season.

“Those are things that I would talk with Nathaniel about,” Marrone said, via ESPN.com. “[When] we go through a process after the season, like everybody knows, we’ll sit down and talk. It’s been two years now. We’ve gone through, I don’t know, how many quarterbacks that we’ve played. We’re playing with a quarterback that wasn’t in our training camp. I think all of those things are pretty big challenges when you’re trying to get things going from an offensive standpoint.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/19/doug-marrone-blame-me-not-nathaniel-hackett-for-offensive-struggles/

Novacane
12-26-2014, 08:24 AM
"I don't know, how many quarterbacks that we've played. We're playing with a quarterback that wasn't in our training camp"

It's a legit excuse but it looks like he's preparing to throw it all on the QB. Marone and Hackett make bad QB's worse! Having Orton in training camp wouldn't have changed a damn thing for the positive. He would of just been captain checkdown jr right from the start instead of waiting a few weeks to become an EJ clone!

DynaPaul
12-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Sticking up for his butt buddy I see. Biggest priority is to fix the O-Line.

better days
12-26-2014, 08:37 AM
"I don't know, how many quarterbacks that we've played. We're playing with a quarterback that wasn't in our training camp"

It's a legit excuse but it looks like he's preparing to throw it all on the QB. Marone and Hackett make bad QB's worse! Having Orton in training camp wouldn't have changed a damn thing for the positive. He would of just been captain checkdown jr right from the start instead of waiting a few weeks to become an EJ clone!

It was Marrone's decision to go with a QB that was not in TC.

Marrone & his entire offensive staff should be fired IMO.

better days
12-26-2014, 08:44 AM
And yes Doug, I do blame you.

I blame you for being way too conservative.

I blame you for not playing GOOD players like Mike Williams.

But most of all I blame you for hiring Hackett, who is in way over his head.

Historian
12-26-2014, 08:48 AM
If he really said that, then perhaps he should be let go, despite reaching .500 for the first time in light years.

I would like to see a Bills Coach that's honest and decisive about their team's needs.

We haven't had that since Levy.

At least Marv cut Walt Corey loose when he needed to.

DraftBoy
12-26-2014, 08:56 AM
I truly believe that after the year is over the decision will be made to keep Whaley, and Marrone around. Marrone will get free reign to decide if he wants to make any coaching changes and I think the only two he's going to possibly change are Morris (OL) and Wheatley (RB).

In 2015 we're going to have Whaley, Marrone, and Hackett in a make it or break it year.

better days
12-26-2014, 09:08 AM
If he really said that, then perhaps he should be let go, despite reaching .500 for the first time in light years.

I would like to see a Bills Coach that's honest and decisive about their team's needs.

We haven't had that since Levy.

At least Marv cut Walt Corey loose when he needed to.

YES, Marrone really did say that on WGR.

And with any kind of offense at all this team should have made the playoffs.

8-8 is no accomplishment with this defense. It is total failure.

better days
12-26-2014, 09:11 AM
I truly believe that after the year is over the decision will be made to keep Whaley, and Marrone around. Marrone will get free reign to decide if he wants to make any coaching changes and I think the only two he's going to possibly change are Morris (OL) and Wheatley (RB).

In 2015 we're going to have Whaley, Marrone, and Hackett in a make it or break it year.

You may be right, but I hope you are wrong.

If you are right, I expect Marrone & company to break it, NOT make it.

Dr. Who
12-26-2014, 10:36 AM

Apparently Bucky Gleason (?) -- not sure on the name, I don't read all the local Bills' media -- has an article claiming there is significant tension between Whaley and Marrone that has exacerbated over the season. The columnist speculates that one of them will leave and surmises it will be Whaley.

I have no idea if there is much reality behind this, but if Pegula chooses Marrone over Whaley, I will be livid.

coastal
12-26-2014, 10:40 AM
If someone offered me an OC position and the offense consisted of two guards named Urbik and Pears and a QB named Manuel... I'd be asking what's the plan for replacing these players before I moved forward.

That being said... I'm not opposed to bringing an a seasoned OC to compliment what we are doing on the defensive side of the ball.

coastal
12-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Apparently Bucky Gleason (?) -- not sure on the name, I don't read all the local Bills' media -- has an article claiming there is significant tension between Whaley and Marrone that has exacerbated over the season. The columnist speculates that one of them will leave and surmises it will be Whaley.

I have no idea if there is much reality behind this, but if Pegula chooses Marrone over Whaley, I will be livid.why?

without Marrone we wouldn't have even had Orton to bail us out.

whaley is a linebacking scout.

Dr. Who
12-26-2014, 11:48 AM
why?

Funny.

I think he's better than that. I think he's upgraded the roster in a significant way.
The offense needs a lot of work; that is obvious. I'd rather give Whaley the benefit of the doubt than Marrone.
I'm not going to argue too much over this. Where I have expertise, I'll argue. It isn't really football, so I go with my impressions and what I can understand as an outsider.
I hate the offensive playcalling. Marrone seems stubborn to me about personnel.
I still think EJ can develop into a solid qb. Sue me.

I would spend money and bring in Iupati and draft Todd Gurley. I actually think that would improve the offense, even with everything else staying the same.
Anyway, I'm not crazy about Marrone and Hackett. If Pegula wants to stay the course, okay,
If he chooses Marrone over Whaley, I would be unhappy. If you're okay with it, good for you.
I don't mind a difference of opinion. I only dislike the posters who are plain idiots and mean to boot.

notacon
12-26-2014, 11:55 AM
We are blaming you. That is why you, Mr Marrone, and the whole coaching staff and GM office MUST be fired ASAP!!

Mr. Pagula...PLEASE get a real football GM in here and start building a REAL NFL football organization in Buffalo.

notacon
12-26-2014, 12:01 PM
why?

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Orton did not "bail us out", he sucks. The whole QB debacle is squarely on Marone's back.

He needs to GO!!!

Novacane
12-26-2014, 12:42 PM
I what Orton did was bail us out I'd rather sink!

kingJofNYC
12-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Marrone's doing what he does best, stick to his guns until the bitter end. Stubborn as hell. He shouldn't be throwing his OC under the bus, not like Hackett's the only problem, but when your team receives upgrades at multiple positions on O, but you fail to improve on the last regimes offensive output then your OC has failed, along with the HC for that matter.

We'll get a token sacrifice but Hackett and Marrone are going down with the ship, whether we like it or not. It's hard to recruit a capable OC when the HC may be fired after 2015, so all this Hackett talk is just a waste of time.

sudzy
12-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Sounds to me like he's trying to push this all off of Whaley

The Jokeman
12-26-2014, 03:06 PM

I agree yet not sure how Wheatley's feet got tossed to the fire but it makes some sense. I just hope Whaley can keep this D in tact this offseason and make the small moves on O we need to improve.

The Jokeman
12-26-2014, 03:09 PM
If someone offered me an OC position and the offense consisted of two guards named Urbik and Pears and a QB named Manuel... I'd be asking what's the plan for replacing these players before I moved forward.

That being said... I'm not opposed to bringing an a seasoned OC to compliment what we are doing on the defensive side of the ball.

The moving of Pears to OG still baffles me but think it was a cap/he was the best guy available at the time. Yet with him now due to be an UFA I expect us to draft or sign someone in UFA to replace him. Urbik I think is better than he played this year or at least he seemed better in 2013 but maybe that's because he was on the right side and lined up next to a veteran Pears and not a rookie like Henderson.

YardRat
12-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Like Spikes last year, Iupati is #1 on my FA list this off-season...that is guy worth paying some bank.

The Jokeman
12-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Like Spikes last year, Iupati is #1 on my FA list this off-season...that is guy worth paying some bank.

I never expected is to land Spikes but we got him pretty simply. As think we were his only visit. That said he was a solid addition and I'd like him back to have some insurance behind Kiko. As even though Spikes didn't always see the field I'd rather have him in there if something happens to Kiko instead of Rivers. In terms this season off season targets ,Ipuati might is going to get plenty of looks, my top guy would be Jordan Cameron. As I think he's the ideal move the chains type TE we could use and a tad more reliable than Chandler is. Toss in in his breakout season (2013) all seven of his TDs came from inside the redzone. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14189/jordan-cameron

swiper
12-26-2014, 04:26 PM

I would remind you that both Urbik and Pears, while not all-stars, were playing MUCH better under Gailey & D'Alessandris two seasons ago when manning RG and RT respectively - and, as a consequence the running game was much more productive.

Again, Marrone is a self-proclaimed o-line guru? Hmpf. Doesn't really show.

- - - Updated - - -

coastal loves you.

Meathead
12-26-2014, 04:58 PM
what is iupati? is he a beaner, a poi eater, what

http://www.49ers.com/assets/images/news/2011/01-January/010611-Iupati-Sub.jpg

Meathead
12-26-2014, 05:02 PM
lol. google and it pops right up. samoan

so i still dont know which racist jokes to make

Frenchman
12-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Fix the O-Line and you will become elite. Though there is lots of work to do!

CommissarSpartacus
12-26-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm well aware of the circumstances and the personnel, and in my judgment, the offense performed WELL below the potential afforded by the pieces.

The team is average.

The D is above average.

Ergo, the O is below average.

Schwart2 was responsible for the best of the Bills, Marrone and Hackett the worst.

Give the team to Schwart2, keep Whaley for another year, get a better qb and OC and BUILD on what we do well.

kingJofNYC
12-26-2014, 05:32 PM

Spikes is one and done with this team in all likelihood.

My buddy is Niners fan and he feels the same way about Iupati that you did with Levitre. PFF has him as one of the worst guards in pass pro, 58th out of 79 qualifying players. However, he was 2nd in run blocking. Levitre was good at pass blocking but a so so run blocker, just the opposite with Iupati who will get a boatload in FA.

Mace
12-26-2014, 06:43 PM

You really don't want to. First thing I learned first time I went to Hawaii, is you don't bother a Samoan, tough as nails, even the women. I was beaten up viciously by a Samoan toddler at the airport. And they make the best girl scout cookies. Kid gave me a cookie after beating me up. They are a people not to be mocked.

coastal
12-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Five card stud

BertSquirtgum
12-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Fire Marrone. He is a junk heap

djjimkelly
12-26-2014, 11:53 PM

i did watch a show once that said samoans are the most genetically advanced race in our world becuz they reproduce at a crazy rate and they where secluded on an island not mixing but refining their gene pool

stuckincincy
12-27-2014, 05:19 AM
i did watch a show once that said samoans are the most genetically advanced race in our world becuz they reproduce at a crazy rate and they where secluded on an island not mixing but refining their gene pool

Heh - was it on Comedy Central? :laughing:

MattyNH
12-27-2014, 07:14 AM
They have to change something. The OC is the obvious and easiest target. There is no QB to get and getting rid of the entire staff is not a good way of rebuilding.

starrymessenger
12-27-2014, 11:59 AM
For once I fully agree with Marrone.
He is being truthful.
He is fully responsible for the O regressing and being as bad as it has been.
Anyone who failed to see Marrone's fingerprints all over this O was willfully blind to the facts.
Marrone and Hackett are the same guy.

CoolBreeze
12-27-2014, 01:02 PM
I really don't think Marrone is a bad coach. I also think he's taking more blame to take some heat off of Hackett. If Marrone had it his way I bet Hackett would be back next year. If that's the case, goodbye Marrone and Hackett.

Give Schwartz the job. I seriously doubt he doesn't get at least one HC interview, or just a better offer. Give Pepper Johnson DC, we should keep this defense 100% intact. Maybe add a good DB, and Kiko comes back. Now that would be fun to watch.

pmoon6
12-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Sticking up for his butt buddy I see. Biggest priority is to fix the O-Line.Loyalty to friends or associates is met with mocking derision.

No wonder this country is in the ****ter.

YardRat
12-27-2014, 05:34 PM
I really don't think Marrone is a bad coach. I also think he's taking more blame to take some heat off of Hackett. If Marrone had it his way I bet Hackett would be back next year. If that's the case, goodbye Marrone and Hackett.

Give Schwartz the job. I seriously doubt he doesn't get at least one HC interview, or just a better offer. Give Pepper Johnson DC, we should keep this defense 100% intact. Maybe add a good DB, and Kiko comes back. Now that would be fun to watch.

I'm more than OK with Schwartz getting the big office, but a little skeptical whether or not Pepper is ready to take over DCing just yet.

CoolBreeze
12-28-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm more than OK with Schwartz getting the big office, but a little skeptical whether or not Pepper is ready to take over DCing just yet.

I agree, that's a hard one to call. Johnson has had alot of playing and coaching time. I also (if I'm correct) believe he left New England because he was getting passed up even for consideration for DC. If we give Schwartz the job, Pepper will want that DC spot. I think he'd do a fine job especially if Schwartz is still here.