• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Relationship between Marrone and Whaley "Beyond repair"

PEGULAS HAVE DECISONS TO MAKE SOON

Buffalo fans who hoped Terry and Kim Pegula learned their lesson after purchasing the Sabres shouldn’t be surprised if they took their time before making any major changes with the Bills. Their refusal to address obvious needs with the hockey team led to its inevitable downfall.

The Pegulas’ first order of business will be deciding whether to keep General Manager Doug Whaley and coach Doug Marrone. Apparently, tension mounted between the two during the season. Some inside the organization believe that their working relationship is beyond repair.

If that’s the case, the Pegulas need to hire an outside consultant with experience – Bill Polian? – to help them. Their record with the Sabres is enough to make anyone nervous about them making front-office decisions with the Bills. Russ Brandon could make the call, but he hired Whaley and Marrone.

Marrone raised eyebrows when he made it clear that he made the decision to change quarterbacks without checking with Whaley. He ripped the offensive line after the loss to the Raiders. Intentional or not, it sounded like a shot at the GM for not assembling better offensive personnel.

The Bills have missed the playoffs for 15 straight seasons. The game Sunday against the Patriots means little to either team. It would make sense for EJ Manuel to take over the offense against the Patriots for evaluation purposes. Marrone is staying with Orton with the idea he gives the Bills a better chance to win.

Win what?

It said little about Manuel, less about Whaley. He was part of the decision to draft Manuel in the first round. He ultimately was responsible for giving up a first-round pick for Sammy Watkins with the idea the rookie receiver would solve Manuel’s problems. Meanwhile, other receivers were more productive.

We’ll see how it shakes out, but don’t be shocked if Marrone stays and Whaley takes the fall. Marrone made his mistakes, but he did more to help his case than Whaley did. The Bills had no business winning eight games with their quarterbacks and this offensive line.

More...

I like it. In a perfect world, they both go, but I'm definitely OK with this.
  • Later
    • Oct 2007

Re: Relationship between Marrone and Whaley "Beyond repair"

Whaley has been here since early 2010, and IMO has shown absolutely no reason that he should stay. I won't miss him a bit.

Comment

• feldspar
      • Mar 2007

Before Pegula does anything, he needs to hire an outside consultant to evaluate the situation at One Bills Drive.

That's it. He has no experience in football himself and so is not in the position to go about head-hunting in informed fashion.

Comment

• cookie G
        • Mar 2003

We’ll see how it shakes out, but don’t be shocked if Marrone stays and Whaley takes the fall. Marrone made his mistakes, but he did more to help his case than Whaley did. The Bills had no business winning eight games with their quarterbacks and this offensive line.

I don't know how Marrone helped his case more than Whaley.

He was brought in as an offensive minded coach and despite some upgrades (especially at WR), the offense is worse than what he inherited. In many ways, much worse. They won 8 games despite the offense, not because of it.

I don't know how much credit he gets for the defense, outside of his DC hires. Maybe that's enough to keep him, maybe not.

If he's going to stick with the same OC out of loyalty, he should go. As Op said in the past...there's only going to be so much of a window open with the defense playing as it is to make a playoff run. This is no time for waiting around to hope the light comes on for the OC, or that he eventually learns how to game plan for a specific opponent, make in game adjustments, etc.

Before I make any changes, I'd want to talk to the team leaders first. The FJ's, the KW's, the Eric Woods, etc. and get a gauge on how they feel about Marrone. this would be especially from the defensive side. I'd want to know how much of an impact they felt on helping the D improve.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

I think Whaley has potential, but he's way too young and inexperienced to be sorting out the dysfunctional mess at One Bills Drive.

And if the rumors about their rift, (which started in camp) are true, one of two things needs to happen:

1. Someone needs to sit both of them down, and make them play nice in the sandbox with the other.

Or,

2. One needs to go. Whichever hurts the team less.

How's Whaley's relationship with Schwartz?

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

Check out exactly how the Bills roster was assembled. This is a very good resource.

Last edited by feldspar; 12-26-2014, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

If only one goes my choice would be Marone. I'd prefer they both go.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

If this is true, one of the two needs to go.

It's hard to say which...Whaley has acquired some nice talent on the D and the coaching staff has used them properly.

Whaley has acquired some steaming garbage on the O and the coaching staff on that side of the ball is also steaming garbage.

Comment

• Swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

When I started reading the article I didn't see where it was going. Then I thought to myself, "what happens if they keep Marrone and dump Whaley?"

That's where they went.

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                    If this is true, one of the two needs to go.

It's hard to say which...Whaley has acquired some nice talent on the D and the coaching staff has used them properly.

Whaley has acquired some steaming garbage on the O and the coaching staff on that side of the ball is also steaming garbage.
                    And Marrone has made some hiddeous in-game time use decisions and allowed some horrid play calling.

But he has brought the Bills up to 8 wins in just two years - something they haven't seen in a long while.
                    Last edited by swiper; 12-26-2014, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

no gm worth a hill of beans would come in to a situation where he can't pick his coach.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• feldspar
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                        no gm worth a hill of beans would come in to a situation where he can't pick his coach.
                        It does happen.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                          It does happen.
                          typically with a junior FA guy who no one heard of who is grasping at that brass ring because he knows he'll be a scout or penny pincher the rest of his life if he doesn't take a shot at it. it doesn't happen with quality or proven FA types.
                          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• WagonCircler
                            Escaped Convict
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                            I agree. That's why I think they both go.

Comment

• sudzy
                              • Apr 2013

I would not shed a tear if both were gone next year. I'm interested to see how committed Pegula is to making this team into a winner and how much he'd open his wallet to get a good GM and HC in here.

Comment

Working...
                              X