PDA

View Full Version : Orton will start in 2015.....

HHURRICANE
12-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Based on starting him this Sunday, his cap hit for next year, the Bills are going to play Orton in 2015. The Bills aren't going to risk having EJ flash anything this weekend to start a QB controversy for next year. It also eliminates the conversation about the 1st round draft pick that we gave up because we don't need a QB...because we have one in Orton.

Take it to the bank.

Novacane
12-27-2014, 09:24 AM
In that case lets start talking 2016!

SpikedLemonade
12-27-2014, 09:30 AM
7-9 here we come!!!

sudzy
12-27-2014, 09:40 AM
I don't have a problem with him competing for the starting job, next year. I don't see anyone obviously better, that we will get in free agency. Fix the O-line, bring someone into compete with Orton, spend a draft choice on a QB that they can develop and let the best QB start. It's all about options. If none of the options pan out and there is a QB with a 1st round grade available in 2016, draft him.

BertSquirtgum
12-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Hope not. They both suck jellyfish.

Goobylal
12-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Orton will be gone over the off-season. He has a $1.5M cap hit remaining but his 2015 salary will be $5.4M. And he's starting because Marrone is saying so, and he'll likely also be gone.

Albany,n.y.
12-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Since we don't know if the coach & GM will be back, especially if yesterday's story means one must be gone, it's impossible to say who will be the starting QB in 2014.

We might end up with a 2nd or 3rd round pick that is on nobody's radar today being the starter. It's been done before. If there was a Bills message board in 1972, I doubt anyone would have posted that the starter would be a 3rd round rookie in 1973. Bringing back bad memories, nobody had Trent Edwards as the Bills starter in 2007 in December of 2006. Even going back 45 years ago, nobody in Buffalo was thinking Dennis Shaw would start in 1970 at the end of the 1969 season.

YardRat
12-27-2014, 10:42 AM
1. Assuming Orton picks up his option and wants to come back (which I would expect)
2. They didn't give up a first rounder 'because we already have a QB in Orton', the two aren't connected.

black N yellow
12-27-2014, 01:25 PM
no.

stuckincincy
12-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Orton will be gone over the off-season. He has a $1.5M cap hit remaining but his 2015 salary will be $5.4M. And he's starting because Marrone is saying so, and he'll likely also be gone.

I believe that his cap hit is $7M.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2015/

Goobylal
12-27-2014, 07:57 PM
I believe that his cap hit is $7M.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2015/
It's $7M if he stays, $1.5M if he's cut or exercises his option. Hopefully he's gone.

Night Train
12-27-2014, 08:01 PM
What will he start ? A landscaping service ?

stuckincincy
12-27-2014, 09:08 PM
What will he start ? A landscaping service ?

Financial planning.

He's parlayed 9 game starts in the 4 years prior to joining the Bills and his 11 starts here into millions.

Luisito23
12-27-2014, 11:07 PM
If Orton starts and Hackett stays, it means nothing's changed in Buffalo.

feldspar
12-28-2014, 12:02 AM

The key will be to improve the o-line and running game.

First round pick or not, I don't see where the options to upgrade the QB position are going to come from. If the Bills are to improve next year, they are going to need to be able to run the ball. With this defense, they might be able to be successful if they could run the ball, despite mediocre QB play. Dunno who exactly can call magical plays if the Bills can't run the ball...not to defend Hackett. The Bills' run-game took a gigantic nose-dive this year, as we all know. Yet not that many people want to focus on that as far as I can see. The Bills' failure up front on offense and inability to run were HUGE contributing factors as to why week 17 means nothing.

Run the ball and play defense is where the Bills' meat-and-potatoes should be. Of course, this formula frees up the play-action and passing game as well. I don't see the Bills having more than a smart game-manager at QB next season, best case scenario. That means a successful run game is the key IMO. That means improving the offensive line is a priority. I mean, all that is pretty obvious to me.

O-line and rushing...these are things we definitely can do something about.

BertSquirtgum
12-28-2014, 12:22 AM

If Hackett stays, this teams ceiling next year is another 8-8 season. :puke:

swiper
12-28-2014, 04:47 AM
Whaley went big on the o-line and got nothing (so far - for Yardrat) from it with signing Chris Williams and drafting Kuoandijo, Richardson and Henderson. Some will say he got Henderson, at least. But he got exposed badly at the end of the year, especially in the Denver & Oakland games. In order to move forward, if Whaley stays, he has to keep looking to upgrade the two guard spots - which may mean that he has to be a man and move on from one or more of those players he brought in in 2014. I have my doubts. I expect to keep hearing him tell us that those players will be better. I don't think so.

And while certain posters are going to tell you that players need time to develop, Richardson and Kuoandijo both showed why they slipped in the draft. No one would touch Kuoandijo in round #1 - where many draftniks had him pegged to go. Now we know why. And Richardson, the All-American, was put in then taken out. Guard is not QB. They don't need 3 or 4 years to develop. Will we see more next year from them? Maybe. But the fact they cannot get ANY meaningful reps in real time is discouraging.

HHURRICANE
12-28-2014, 10:04 AM
2. They didn't give up a first rounder 'because we already have a QB in Orton', the two aren't connected.

My point is that we still need a QB and we have no first round pick next year to use on it. So by stating you have your QB in Orton it, in Whaley's mind, minimizes the loss of the pick. Just saying.

The Jokeman
12-28-2014, 10:44 AM
I say he stays and starts because there isn't a better option out to replace him.

Discotrish
12-28-2014, 11:33 AM
The key will be to improve the o-line and running game.

First round pick or not, I don't see where the options to upgrade the QB position are going to come from. If the Bills are to improve next year, they are going to need to be able to run the ball. With this defense, they might be able to be successful if they could run the ball, despite mediocre QB play. Dunno who exactly can call magical plays if the Bills can't run the ball...not to defend Hackett. The Bills' run-game took a gigantic nose-dive this year, as we all know. Yet not that many people want to focus on that as far as I can see. The Bills' failure up front on offense and inability to run were HUGE contributing factors as to why week 17 means nothing.

Run the ball and play defense is where the Bills' meat-and-potatoes should be. Of course, this formula frees up the play-action and passing game as well. I don't see the Bills having more than a smart game-manager at QB next season, best case scenario. That means a successful run game is the key IMO. That means improving the offensive line is a priority. I mean, all that is pretty obvious to me.

O-line and rushing...these are things we definitely can do something about.

I agree. You don't need a great QB to be a playoff contender.

Brad Johnson! Doug Williams! Jim McMahon! Trent Dilfer! Joe Flacco!

Jeff. Hofstetler.

Patti

BillsImpossible
12-28-2014, 11:42 AM
I agree. You don't need a great QB to be a playoff contender.

Brad Johnson! Doug Williams! Jim McMahon! Trent Dilfer! Joe Flacco!

Jeff. Hofstetler.

Patti

Colin Kaepernick, Eli Manning, Michael Vick, Russell Wilson!

Novacane
12-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Colin Kaepernick, Eli Manning, Michael Vick, Russell Wilson!

Orton is not in Manning or Wilsons league.

BillsImpossible
12-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Orton is not in Manning or Wilsons league.

Manning has started twice as many games, but the stats are similar.

http://www.nfl.com/player/kyleorton/2506444/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/elimanning/2505996/careerstats

If Eli's last name wasn't Manning, what's the difference?

Novacane
12-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Manning has started twice as many games, but the stats are similar.

http://www.nfl.com/player/kyleorton/2506444/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/elimanning/2505996/careerstats

If Eli's last name wasn't Manning, what's the difference?

2 super bowl wins

BillsImpossible
12-28-2014, 12:19 PM
2 super bowl wins

Knew that was coming.

Does Eli get the pass off in time to David Tyree without a good offensive line that flushed the pocket and let Manning make, "The Throw?"

- - - Updated - - -

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JNUkUCknT90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Novacane
12-28-2014, 12:25 PM
You're never going to convince me Orton is the same QB as Eli Manning. Orton is a good back up. Period!

The Jokeman
12-28-2014, 12:28 PM
You're never going to convince me Orton is the same QB as Eli Manning. Orton is a good back up. Period!

So who do you think we have a realistic chance at getting this offseason that's better than Orton?

Novacane
12-28-2014, 12:31 PM
So who do you think we have a realistic chance at getting this offseason that's better than Orton?

Probably no one. Still doesn't make him anything better than a good backup.

The Jokeman
12-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Probably no one. Still doesn't make him anything better than a good backup.

Valid point and that's why you give him as best a surrounding cast as you (see better O-line and TE) and hope it will help him and the offense.

MikeInRoch
12-29-2014, 08:28 AM
That seems kinda unlikely right now...

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-29-2014, 08:31 AM
$5 million retirement year. Smart move by Orton. Cant blame the guy.
Bills now need to find a QB. Duh.
anyone hear this song before?

Ebenezer
12-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Take it to the bank.

You can send me a check.

djjimkelly
12-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Based on starting him this Sunday, his cap hit for next year, the Bills are going to play Orton in 2015. The Bills aren't going to risk having EJ flash anything this weekend to start a QB controversy for next year. It also eliminates the conversation about the 1st round draft pick that we gave up because we don't need a QB...because we have one in Orton.

Take it to the bank.

BANKRUPT

Goobylal
12-29-2014, 10:15 AM
I wonder if the Bills will pursue the remainder of his signing bonus?