PDA

View Full Version : Polian coming back?

black N yellow
12-27-2014, 01:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/27/buffalo-shakeup-could-result-in-polian-reunion/

Some in league circles firmly believe that, as soon as Monday, former Bills G.M. Bill Polian could be returning to the team. It’s unclear what his role and duties would be; Polian and the Bills could try to engineer the job title and description in a way that doesn’t re-set the clock on his looming election to the Hall of Fame. Nominated for the first time in the new contributor category, Polian’s candidacy will be debated and determined on January 31.

SpikedLemonade
12-27-2014, 01:13 PM
As a consultant, sure, but he is way past his expiry date to be a GM.

WagonCircler
12-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Team President.

A long overdue wrong will have been righted.

djjimkelly
12-27-2014, 01:31 PM
As a consultant, sure, but he is way past his expiry date to be a GM.

i beg to differ that he is expired. hes been working at espn its not like he has lost his contacts in football.

but like that article says he would bring his son along also so he would be team president and son GM. and id be willing to bet the senior polian would have alot of say

YardRat
12-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Consultant...Yes. GM or President? No. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Polian is brought in given Pegula's penchant to latching on to history. Of course, hopefully it isn't to the extent where we go back to drafting guys like James Williams. One of the brighter spots of Polian's return would be whenever the trade to Watkins get brought up he could respond "Pffft...that ain't nuthin'. Wanna hear what I gave up for a LBer?"

pmoon6
12-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Hmmm. Talented people have expiration dates? Is he getting senile or suffering from onset Alzheimers?

Listening to him speak, I don't believe he's lost anything, he may even be wiser than he was in the '80's.

Of course, Americans like to dump on people when they get to a certain age.

We won't say Canadians because the one that posited this BS is dumber than a bag of rocks.

YardRat
12-27-2014, 01:48 PM
If part of the deal is his kid comes with him, I'd pass completely.

WagonCircler
12-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Consultant...Yes. GM or President? No. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Polian is brought in given Pegula's penchant to latching on to history. Of course, hopefully it isn't to the extent where we go back to drafting guys like James Williams. One of the brighter spots of Polian's return would be whenever the trade to Watkins get brought up he could respond "Pffft...that ain't nuthin'. Wanna hear what I gave up for a LBer?"

What an ******* you are.

Polar found more late round gems and stars from small schools than any other GM in the game, possible ever. He preside over the only real period of success the Bills have ever had in the NFL, and you piss all over him over one ****ing miss in the draft?

Unbelievable. My GOD you are an idiot.

DetDannyWilliams
12-27-2014, 02:33 PM
"Jim Kelly is my QB and Marv Levy is the coach and if you don't like it you can get out of town!

Or something like that

swiper
12-27-2014, 02:34 PM
If part of the deal is his kid comes with him, I'd pass completely.

I'd agree with you there.

swiper
12-27-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm not as big a fan of Polian as some. It's easy to forget all the bad things he did. And he did. But he is certainly much better than bringing back Stew Barber, Tom Donahoe or Marv Levy the GM.

Turning down Polian's input would be like throwing a hot woman out of bed for eating crackers.

sudzy
12-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Bill Polian has been GM for 3 teams. Two teams went to the Super Bowl and the third went to the NFC Championship game in only their 2nd year of existence. I realize that it's been a few years, but, I'd rather have his input then Brandon's.

Meathead
12-27-2014, 03:59 PM
i think they keep the napster but id love to have battlin bill back in any role they want him in

YardRat
12-27-2014, 04:00 PM
What an ******* you are.

Polar found more late round gems and stars from small schools than any other GM in the game, possible ever. He preside over the only real period of success the Bills have ever had in the NFL, and you piss all over him over one ****ing miss in the draft?

Unbelievable. My GOD you are an idiot.

Well, not to get into a pissing match, but one wide receiver from Kutztown may cement a reputation, but it doesn't prove consistency. Polian didn't whiff on more #1's because he traded them away, and didn't have them to use in the first place. He did have success building multiple franchises especially here in Buffalo, and that alone makes him a great choice for a consultant, but anything more than that is asking for a bit much.

That being said, my post was made with a touch of facetiousness, considering how some around here get their panties in such a knot over one or two draft picks not panning out IMMEDIATELY AND I MEAN RIGHT ****ING NOW!!! for the current regime.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Thoughts of this can end now.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/12/27/polian-report-joining-bills-wrong-can/

"Polian on report he is joining Bills: 'It’s about as wrong as can be'"

kingJofNYC
12-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Remember when Ralph brought back Levy, good times.

YardRat
12-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Well, damn...I wish I would have read the article before replying and noticed it was Florio who threw this **** at the wall. Looks like it may be able to be filed right next to "Bills Interviewing Cowher" and "Mario Leaving Buffalo Without a Contract".

A true douchbag amongst douchebags, if I may say so.

Mace
12-27-2014, 06:33 PM

Just so, as a consultant great, he's fired the minute he suggests hiring little Polian. As management, the pair of Polians were getting worse as they went, and he was moving into his mean cranky phase with everyone. Same as with the QB's, everyone misses a previous version of Polian who isn't here anymore.

Good read on his latter day draft results with Indy, they just aren't good : http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1007781-jim-irsay-fired-bill-chris-polian-for-bad-decade-of-drafting

Colts SBnation thoughts on Chris Polian before he was fired, it's pretty poor : http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/11/2/2532369/should-chris-polian-really-be-running-the-indianapolis-colts

Consultant, ok, past that, no Polians please.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Just so, as a consultant great, he's fired the minute he suggests hiring little Polian. As management, the pair of Polians were getting worse as they went, and he was moving into his mean cranky phase with everyone. Same as with the QB's, everyone misses a previous version of Polian who isn't here anymore.

Good read on his latter day draft results with Indy, they just aren't good : http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1007781-jim-irsay-fired-bill-chris-polian-for-bad-decade-of-drafting

Colts SBnation thoughts on Chris Polian before he was fired, it's pretty poor : http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/11/2/2532369/should-chris-polian-really-be-running-the-indianapolis-colts

Consultant, ok, past that, no Polians please.

I'd want no part in him being involved either.

Two reason. One, his kid was pretty inept. Second, going back to relive the glory days doesn't ever seem to work for anyone.

Leave the past in the past and all the happy thoughts about those people involved with it.

Night Train
12-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Some in league circles firmly believe

What circle ? Clancy's Thursday dart league ?

OpIv37
12-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Hmmm. Talented people have expiration dates? Is he getting senile or suffering from onset Alzheimers?

Listening to him speak, I don't believe he's lost anything, he may even be wiser than he was in the '80's.

Of course, Americans like to dump on people when they get to a certain age.

We won't say Canadians because the one that posited this BS is dumber than a bag of rocks.
Some have expiration dates. The game changes. People naturally become more adverse to change with age, and some very talented coaches and personnel people lose the ability to change with the game (Marv Levy and Joe Gibbs come immediately to mind).

It doesn't happen to everyone, there is no age that is a magic expiration date and I'm not saying that it happened to Polian because I don't know. Age isn't a deal breaker but it is a reason for concern.

Mace
12-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Some in league circles firmly believe

What circle ? Clancy's Thursday dart league ?

Clancy's Friday dart league has a better feel for the pro game, imho. I'd go with Thursday for hockey.

WagonCircler
12-27-2014, 10:33 PM
This Levy comparison is moronic.

Marv was hired at 80 years old, for whatever bizarre reason, to do a job that he had never done before. Insane, but typical of Ralph, who apparently preferred losing with people with whom he was personally comfortable to winning with those who rubbed him the wrong way.

This would be hiring a personnel genius to hire personnel people.

Apples vs oranges to the nth degree.

swiper
12-28-2014, 04:09 AM

Credibility in reporting?

Vic Carucci >>> Mike Florio

pmoon6
12-28-2014, 06:50 AM
Some have expiration dates. The game changes. People naturally become more adverse to change with age, and some very talented coaches and personnel people lose the ability to change with the game (Marv Levy and Joe Gibbs come immediately to mind).

It doesn't happen to everyone, there is no age that is a magic expiration date and I'm not saying that it happened to Polian because I don't know. Age isn't a deal breaker but it is a reason for concern.If the game changes so much, why has flavor of the month offenses basically been shelved for more tried and true ones? The running QBs' are not the vaunted offensive weapon many thought and they HAVEN'T changed the game.

I would say, I agree partly. Gibbs couldn't deal with the new age player and free agency. Neither could Levy. Polian has proven that he can navigate during changing times and he did make the transition from the '80's to free agency and built successful teams.

DraftBoy
12-28-2014, 07:08 AM

Marv was hired at 80 years old, for whatever bizarre reason, to do a job that he had never done before. Insane, but typical of Ralph, who apparently preferred losing with people with whom he was personally comfortable to winning with those who rubbed him the wrong way.

Polian is 72, not like he's a spring chicken either.

I'd be interested in a Polian hire but some of his draft results in Indianapolis raise questions.

YardRat
12-28-2014, 07:21 AM

Like his kid? You and I both know damn well he'll pry Chris from the Jags. No thanks, I'll pass on that kind of genius.

I can tell you how his interview would go if I were Pegs...

"So, Bill...what's the first move you'd make if I hired you as team president?"
"Well, Yardie, I'd fire Whaley and bring in my son to be GM."
"Ummm...yeah...thanks for coming in, enjoy your lunch, good luck with the HOF vote. Psst..hey, Marci..get Ernie Accorsi on the phone for me please."

don137
12-28-2014, 07:44 AM
I talked to Polian in 2013 at a golf tournament here in Charlotte. He was there sitting by himself as two of his grand kids were running around playing waiting for the next group of golfers come through.
I went up to him and introduced myself. He said he loves talking to Bills fans. He loves the passion and loyalty of Bills fans.
He lives in Charlotte and said how much he loves what he is doing. He said how he only works something like 70 days a year which is perfect so he can still be busy and involved but now gets a lot more time to enjoy family.
I may be wrong but I would be surprised if he took a consulting job with Buffalo if it costs him his job at ESPN.
One other thing. He was not a fan of EJ (EJ was drafted a couple weeks earlier at the time I talked to him by the Bills).

Famous Amos
12-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Remember when Ralph brought back Levy, good times.

I was thinking that too, but in Levy's case, he was brought back to fill in a position he really had no business being in. He was brought in to lend credibility and to bring about some sort of stability to the Bills organization after the Donawhore era. In doing so, he was put in a position where he was asked to do more than he could.

In the case of Polian, whether it's true or not, he would be brought back to a position such as GM where he has been successful before the modern salary cap era and afterwards. Polian was team president of the Colts for 14 years before being fired by Jim Irsay.

Now, if this happens and he brings his son with him, then that changes things and would be a less than ideal situation. Kind of like a bait and switch.

swiper
12-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Like his kid? You and I both know damn well he'll pry Chris from the Jags. No thanks, I'll pass on that kind of genius.

Yeah. Bill pulled this crap in Indy and found himself kicked out of town. If Bill were to come back, there would have to be a guarantee that his kid was never coming.

HHURRICANE
12-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Polian can bring back Marv Levy as coach. Anything is better than what we have now.

HHURRICANE
12-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Per Polian he won't be joining the Bills....end of story.

don137
12-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Hate the idea of his son being the GM. Heard nothing but bad things from him at Indy and look at the Jags. He will set the franchise back multiple years.

The Jokeman
12-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Polian is 72, not like he's a spring chicken either.

I'd be interested in a Polian hire but some of his draft results in Indianapolis raise questions.

Is that on Polian or the coaches in Indy? Jerry Hughes is a prime example. Personally, I don't mind if we bring in Polian as a consultant to see if we have the infrastructure to be better. Yet to let go of Whaley and/or Marrone just because we have a new owner is foolish. This team mades significant strides from last year to this year and to blow it all up now is foolish. Now if we work to improve the team again this offseason and fail to make the playoffs again in 2015 than I'm all for a blow up.

DraftBoy
12-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Is that on Polian or the coaches in Indy? Jerry Hughes is a prime example. Personally, I don't mind if we bring in Polian as a consultant to see if we have the infrastructure to be better. Yet to let go of Whaley and/or Marrone just because we have a new owner is foolish. This team mades significant strides from last year to this year and to blow it all up now is foolish. Now if we work to improve the team again this offseason and fail to make the playoffs again in 2015 than I'm all for a blow up.

That's a valid point on Hughes.

Uncle Jesse
12-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Polian is like 80 isn't he? Why don't we get Marv and the gang back for one more try? All you old folks sure love nostalgia.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-28-2014, 06:50 PM
It's Chris Polian per La Canfora on CBSSpors.com.

To me, pure agent talks.

WagonCircler
12-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Polian is like 80 isn't he? Why don't we get Marv and the gang back for one more try? All you old folks sure love nostalgia.

You don't really read the threads before you post your *********, huh?

DraftBoy
12-28-2014, 07:31 PM
It's Chris Polian per La Canfora on CBSSpors.com.

To me, pure agent talks.

I have a hard time believing they dump Whaley right now.

Uncle Jesse
12-28-2014, 07:37 PM
You don't really read the threads before you post your *********, huh?

I do, I don't care if it's just as a consultant, or whatever, I want nothing to do with anyone named Polian for this franchise. Move on. Get a fresh set of eyes of someone more innovative and not likely to be dead in 10 years.

imbondz
12-28-2014, 07:45 PM
I'm old, I'd love it if Polian came back.

Novacane
12-29-2014, 08:00 AM
FWIW Peter King in MMQB

15. Buffalo (9-7). I do believe a Polian family member is a serious candidate to run the Bills' personel staff. Or two Polians.

Luisito23
12-29-2014, 08:10 AM
Any Polians coming here would be a huge mistake, but so typical...

imbondz
12-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Bill Polian is our savior!!!!!

justasportsfan
12-29-2014, 08:59 AM
We don't need a Polian to tell us we need a Jim Kelly or a Peyton Manning.

justasportsfan
12-29-2014, 09:02 AM

It doesn't happen to everyone, there is no age that is a magic expiration date and I'm not saying that it happened to Polian because I don't know. Age isn't a deal breaker but it is a reason for concern.:up:

The only thing I worry is whether Polian still has a group of reliable people who can give him good talent information around the league and college . Polian or any GM for that matter is only as good as the information they have.

WagonCircler
12-29-2014, 09:07 AM
:up:

The only thing I worry is whether Polian still has a group of reliable people who can give him good talent information around the league and college . Polian or any GM for that matter is only as good as the information they have.

Money changes everything. Now that we have a multi-billionaire as an owner, you can buy those reliable people.

Historian
12-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Polian denied it all yesterday.

justasportsfan
12-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Money changes everything. Now that we have a multi-billionaire as an owner, you can buy those reliable people.

Can Polian still identify those people? He might think Fletch is an awesome scout.

WagonCircler
12-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Can Polian still identify those people? He might think Fletch is an awesome scout.

What in the world makes you think he can't? Bill Polian has more football knowledge in the tip of his pinky finger than 100,000 of you.

The game has not changed, and the evaluation process has changed even less. There are better tools now, but it still comes down to skills and character, and who is best at identifying them.

Smart QBs still win, stupid QBs still lose. Size and speed still win, size speed, brains and heart still win championships.

Fundamentals are still fundamentals. Work ethic is still work ethic.

Gimmicks are gimmicks.

The game is the game. Just because young idiots are seeing it for the first time around doesn't change that.

Uncle Jesse
12-29-2014, 11:34 AM
What in the world makes you think he can't? Bill Polian has more football knowledge in the tip of his pinky finger than 100,000 of you.

The game has not changed,

HAHAHAHAHA. Do you watch the NFL at all? This is one of the dumbest comments regarding the league I've ever read, and the sad part is, you are serious.

justasportsfan
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Not arguing that , but he did blow in his last few years with Indy which is why people are wondering if he still has it.

k-oneputt
12-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Any of you know who Scot McCloughan is ?

Why not look into him.

Mr. Cynical
12-29-2014, 12:10 PM

:rofl:

Mr. Cynical
12-29-2014, 12:12 PM
I'll say this - if Bill comes back for a $5M contract and leaves after a year, the Bills are officially the Bank of Catfish.