PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hughes value

DesertFox24
12-27-2014, 01:15 PM
I love jerry Hughes and want him to stay. But is he worth more than 6 a year. He is playing next to three pro bowlers and granted he does
Beat one on one battles could we not find a cheaper speed rusher to get 7 sacks playing next to our Guys. I almost think getting a backup to Dareus is more
Imperative.

Lone Stranger
12-27-2014, 01:21 PM
I love jerry Hughes and want him to stay. But is he worth more than 6 a year. He is playing next to three pro bowlers and granted he does
Beat one on one battles could we not find a cheaper speed rusher to get 7 sacks playing next to our Guys. I almost think getting a backup to Dareus is more
Imperative.

I believe that you are basically correct on this issue. I don't believe we should spend too much money on Hughes. How easy is it to get a 7 sack guy is another question.

YardRat
12-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Somebody is going to offer him more than 6mil per.

djjimkelly
12-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Somebody is going to offer him more than 6mil per.

then ty for your services. we truly saved his career. he should be thankful of that

stuckincincy
12-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Imperative.

Hughes has tapered off over the last four games...7 solo tackles, 5 assists, and no sacks.

DesertFox24
12-27-2014, 02:06 PM
It will be something to watch he has to know he has benefited and I am sure the rest of the league does as well. He will want to maximize but he will have a decision to make. Stat wise not sure he will do any better than here. I would love a breakdown of him versus double teams and I would set his agent and him down show the clips show the clips of him beating Thomas one on one and say the followings. We like you and we want you but in order for us to be a good team we cannot break the bank for you and Dareus we value you at 5.5 a year and we are willing to give higher than usual guarenteed money but average per year is 5.5. That being said we know you can get higher gmoney or average per year outside but you will be double teamed a lot more than here. Your choice

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Imperative.

is that easy to find? Mark Anderson anyone? How did that work out

cookie G
12-27-2014, 02:13 PM
lol.

Please stop.

DesertFox24
12-27-2014, 02:34 PM
lol.

Please stop.
I believe this is a valid question. He is a good player but should we pay him top pass rusher money.

GingerP
12-27-2014, 03:20 PM
I think you are grossly underestimating what DE make. If the Bills could get Hughes for $6M per year, they would do backflips.

The top of the DE market is J.J. Watt, at $16.67M per year. After that:

- Mario Williams - $16M per year
- Robert Quinn - $14.25M per year
- Greg Hardy - $13.1M per year
- Charles Johnson - $12.6M per year
- Chris Long - $12M per year
- Calais Campbell - $11M per year
- DeMarcus Ware - $10M per year
- Jurell Casey - $9M per year
- Darnell Dockett - $8.825M per year
- Micheal Johnson - $8.75M per year
- Everson Griffen - $8.5M per year
- Jared Allen - $8M per year

There are currently 21 DE that make more than $6M per year. After that are Mathias Kiwanuka ($5.9M), Brian Robison ($5.6M) and Stephen Bowen ($5.5M). Hughes is going to go into FA looking for at least the $8.5M that Everson Griffen got last year or the $9M that Jurell Casey got last year. Otherwise, he should fire his agent. The guy has 19.5 sacks in the last 2 years, he is going to ask for a lot more than $6M per year. Whether or not he gets it is up to the market, but considering he is on the cusp of FA he will laugh at $6M per year.

cookie G
12-27-2014, 03:33 PM
I believe this is a valid question. He is a good player but should we pay him top pass rusher money.

Its only a valid question if you don't watch him play, realize who he goes up against or how muich the OTHER pass rushers benefit from HIM.

cookie G
12-27-2014, 03:34 PM
then ty for your services. we truly saved his career. he should be thankful of that

And the Bills should be thankful they got a DE playing as a $10 million a year guy for well below half that price.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Hughes has tapered off over the last four games...7 solo tackles, 5 assists, and no sacks.

He also has a fumble recovery for a TD in that span.

Imperative.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/226954-Jerry-Hughes?p=4031294&viewfull=1#post4031294

SpikedLemonade
12-27-2014, 04:12 PM
He will get $9M per year.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Hughes will get at least 8 per and could get 10 per.

He won't be here next year unless he gives the franchise a huge discount.

Ingtar33
12-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Imperative.

7 sack DE gets 10mil a year in the league these days. and where are were going to find one laying around a team hasn't wrapped up?

please have a replacement in mind before you start talking about letting a guy go who was a difference maker on our front 7. especially since we're like 40 mil under next years cap.

Night Train
12-27-2014, 07:06 PM
especially since we're like 40 mil under next years cap.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/11/7376451/nfl-salary-cap-nflpa-2015

So 17 + Mil is " like " 40 Mil ?

IlluminatusUIUC
12-27-2014, 07:31 PM

I don't know how Mike Williams' contract figures into this, but we have a LOT of dead money coming off the books in 2015.

stuckincincy
12-27-2014, 07:37 PM
I don't know how Mike Williams' contract figures into this, but we have a LOT of dead money coming off the books in 2015.

I like this site:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2014/

The dead $ figure is considerably lower if you change from 2014 to 2015

IlluminatusUIUC
12-27-2014, 07:56 PM
I like this site:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2014/

The dead $ figure is considerably lower if you change from 2014 to 2015

Yes but that's the part I don't understand. Their player page for Mike Williams lists him at 7 million in dead money if we cut him: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mike-williams/

But that 7 million doesn't appear on the team page. If it was all accounted for this season, great. But if some of it rolls over into 2015, I can't see where.

TacklingDummy
12-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Imperative.
Many players can live off Williams,Willaims, and Dareus.

stuckincincy
12-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Yes but that's the part I don't understand. Their player page for Mike Williams lists him at 7 million in dead money if we cut him: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mike-williams/

But that 7 million doesn't appear on the team page. If it was all accounted for this season, great. But if some of it rolls over into 2015, I can't see where.

Beats me. NFL contracts are Byzantine, to say the least. Every time I think I have a grasp on some of it, it slips away.

I never thought to look at a player's "page" as you have. I see you can pay the site for more info about a player's contract. Interesting item in that page, though - fines...Williams was assessed two for uniform violations.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Beats me. NFL contracts are Byzantine, to say the least. Every time I think I have a grasp on some of it, it slips away.

I never thought to look at a player's "page" as you have. I see you can pay the site for more info about a player's contract. Interesting item in that page, though - fines...Williams was assessed two for uniform violations.

Yeah, for these fashion-forward red socks
http://imgick.syracuse.com/home/syr-media/width620/img/post-standard/photo/2014/09/21/15905033-mmmain.jpg

Dunno if that contributed to his benching, or why or how the hell he would do it in the first place. Don't the equipment managers hand them their uniforms on game day?

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Many players can live off Williams,Willaims, and Dareus.

Once again. Does anybody remember mark Anderson?

TacklingDummy
12-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Once again. Does anybody remember mark Anderson?
What about him?

Does anyone remember Phil Hansen?

Ingtar33
12-27-2014, 08:36 PM

it's a lot more then 17mil. so lets stop talking about cutting or not resigning players. simply put teams right up against the cap can always fit a 10mil dollar/year contract onto their books, and we're not even in the ballpark of being "up against the cap".

What about him?

yes, and i remember how our line fell apart when he retired. it took years to replace him. I also remember people talking about how easy it was to replace schobel too... we NEVER found a replacement for him. it wasn't until we signed M. Williams did we get an outside pass rush again.

Pass Rushers are worth their weight in gold in today's nfl. or do you all forget how anemic the DL looked when hughes was benched against denver? The pass rush isn't just one player's doing. it's a unit's doing. having a solid front 4 is what masks the linebacker's weak coverage and it's what helps make the secondary stronger.

Part of why this team has sucked for 15 years is the failure to resign our good players, to make holes at positions that were once strengths. we're building a strong front 7, one that will get stronger when Alonso comes back next year. Lets not start dismantling it just because we want to have room under the salary cap to sign that QB who WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE ANYWAY.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-27-2014, 08:38 PM
What about him?

Point being is mark Anderson had the same people next to him and sucked ass. So it's not to say 'anyone' can produce next to those three.

Ingtar33
12-27-2014, 08:44 PM
additionally. it says a lot to a locker room if you pay a guy who's performed for you. If you don't pay them then they will only play hard enough to protect themselves, get some numbers and then lay it on the line in their contract year so they can make bank elsewhere. That's been part of our problem. pay the guys who perform for you, and you'll get a locker room willing to perform when its NOT a contract year.

DesertFox24
12-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Its only a valid question if you don't watch him play, realize who he goes up against or how muich the OTHER pass rushers benefit from HIM.
Oh he is a good player and I said as much. My question was what is yhrh ceiling for his average per year salary. I want us to keep him becauSe the four of those guys still have 4 years together of productivity. Kyle will eventually a replacement but not for a few years. However if we pay Hughes big money that could mean Glenn Gilmore or Dareus cannot all be resigned

stuckincincy
12-27-2014, 09:01 PM
additionally. it says a lot to a locker room if you pay a guy who's performed for you. If you don't pay them then they will only play hard enough to protect themselves, get some numbers and then lay it on the line in their contract year so they can make bank elsewhere. That's been part of our problem. pay the guys who perform for you, and you'll get a locker room willing to perform when its NOT a contract year.

Are ticket price increases are in order, then?

Ingtar33
12-27-2014, 10:47 PM
Are ticket price increases are in order, then?

They're probably too low as it is. Don't get me wrong, i've been poor and broke and scrapping by before, so i apreciate the effort the bills have put into making tickets affordable. But last time i checked the average price of a sabre's game ticket was higher then the bills.

I'm not saying i think they need to raise ticket prices but if that's the cost of getting to the playoffs i'm pretty sure most of the season ticket holders will pay it.

DesertFox24
12-28-2014, 09:33 AM
I do not want Hughes to go I want us to pay da man.

My question was flawed at the average per year I was going off what john Clayton said a few weeks agin on schoop and bulldog.

That being said I know spiller is gone, but I'd keeping Hughes means saying goodbye to one of Gilmore Dareus Glenn I may be inclined to say tough to let you go but we have no choice as those guys are corps guys

The Jokeman
12-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Or according to http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/ we're set to be $23.5 under if the cap is $140 next year. I've stated numerous time I think it's going to take close to $10 to keep Hughes of course I'd hope our cap guy works out a fair deal that will also allow us to keep Dareus around too and add a player or two on offense in 2015. As we're seeing the last few years if you have an above average defense you have a much better chance to win on a week by week basis even if you have one of the league's worst offenses and quite frankly we need to fix the red zone offense.

Mike
12-28-2014, 10:50 AM
I do not want Hughes to go I want us to pay da man.

My question was flawed at the average per year I was going off what john Clayton said a few weeks agin on schoop and bulldog.

That being said I know spiller is gone, but I'd keeping Hughes means saying goodbye to one of Gilmore Dareus Glenn I may be inclined to say tough to let you go but we have no choice as those guys are corps guys

People on this board said the same thing about Livtre, Byrd, and Spiller. The argument went something like this:

- Lavirte is overprices and we dont have enough money, if we sign lavitre we wont be able to sign Byrd who is much better and we have Spiller coming up after that (this was right after Spillers great year)
The Bills didnt sign lavitre and the argument evolved to....
- Byrd is overpriced, we don't have enough money, if we sign him we wont be able to sign Wood and Spiller.

The Bills have had a history of Selling this Myth that they can not afford players while being 20M under the cap!!!!

Think about it this way, how is it possible that the Broncos have all of these superstar players: P. Manning, Ware, D. Thomas, Miller, Aquib Talib, W.Welker, J. Thomas, Sanders, etc...
Put it this way, they are set to have 7-8 Players in the Top 100 of 2014!

How can these other teams afford so many superstars when we can not even afford a guard? or a safety?
Why does this team always have to let talent go while other teams -like the Broncos- add talent (signed D.Ware, Talib, Sanders, etc)?

Novacane
12-28-2014, 11:01 AM
People on this board said the same thing about Livtre, Byrd, and Spiller. The argument went something like this:

- Lavirte is overprices and we dont have enough money, if we sign lavitre we wont be able to sign Byrd who is much better and we have Spiller coming up after that (this was right after Spillers great year)
The Bills didnt sign lavitre and the argument evolved to....
- Byrd is overpriced, we don't have enough money, if we sign him we wont be able to sign Wood and Spiller.

The Bills have had a history of Selling this Myth that they can not afford players while being 20M under the cap!!!!

Think about it this way, how is it possible that the Broncos have all of these superstar players: P. Manning, Ware, D. Thomas, Miller, Aquib Talib, W.Welker, J. Thomas, Sanders, etc...
Put it this way, they are set to have 7-8 Players in the Top 100 of 2014!

How can these other teams afford so many superstars when we can not even afford a guard? or a safety?
Why does this team always have to let talent go while other teams -like the Broncos- add talent (signed D.Ware, Talib, Sanders, etc)?

We could afford to pay them. They just weren't superstars like the Broncos you name. We haven't missed Byrd one bit this year. If we'd of given him the stupid contract he got from NO we would be hampered from signing some of our upcoming FA.

SpikedLemonade
12-28-2014, 11:12 AM
We have plenty of money to pay Hughes, Dareus, Glenn, etc.

I hope they don't resign Spiller.

As long as Gilmore does not want to be paid as a top 15 CB, sign him as well.

The Jokeman
12-28-2014, 11:13 AM
We could afford to pay them. They just weren't superstars like the Broncos you name. We haven't missed Byrd one bit this year. If we'd of given him the stupid contract he got from NO we would be hampered from signing some of our upcoming FA.

So Whaley shouldn't get credit for not overpaying Byrd? I admit it when we lost Byrd and re-signed Aaron Williams I thought it was a horrible move. Though back to Hughes, if I told you we could sign a DE who ranks in the top 15 in his position in terms of solo & total tackles, top 10 in sacks and top 5 in terms of forced fumbles is he a superstar? If so they we need to re-sign Hughes as checkout http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=DE&conference=NFL&year=season_2014&sort=128&timeframe=ToDate and sort by most of the statistical categories and you'll see Hughes amongst the leaders of all of them.

Novacane
12-28-2014, 11:15 AM
So Whaley shouldn't get credit for not overpaying Byrd? I admit it when we lost Byrd and re-signed Aaron Williams I thought it was a horrible move. Though back to Hughes, if I told you we could sign a DE who ranks in the top 15 in his position in terms of solo & total tackles, top 10 in sacks and top 5 in terms of forced fumbles is he a superstar? If so they we need to re-sign Hughes as checkout http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=DE&conference=NFL&year=season_2014&sort=128&timeframe=ToDate and sort by most of the statistical categories and you'll see Hughes amongst the leaders of all of them.

Did I say that? Yes, he should get credit for letting Byrd walk.

Ingtar33
12-28-2014, 11:31 AM

I'll give him props as well. I wanted the bills to pay byrd. turns out they made the corect choice.

The Jokeman
12-28-2014, 11:46 AM

It's just you pointed out superstars and prior to this year I'd call Byrd one of them.

Mike
12-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Byrd was a superstar & they let him walk. He ends up getting injured & justifying their decision which 9/10 is poor.

Mike
12-28-2014, 02:31 PM
It's a new ownership & we will find out how they treat their players. Will it be the same old Bills or will they actually BUILD something?

HHURRICANE
12-28-2014, 03:43 PM
It would be less than we paid Schobel and Kelsay.

I love how we keep giving away good players. Jason Peters still looks very good.

Novacane
12-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Byrd was a superstar & they let him walk. He ends up getting injured & justifying their decision which 9/10 is poor.

He was playing like **** before he got injured. His replacements played well for the Bills. Our defense got better this year. It was not a poor decision at all.

The Jokeman
12-28-2014, 03:54 PM
He was playing like **** before he got injured. His replacements played well for the Bills. Our defense got better this year. It was not a poor decision at all.

So do you think we should show Hughes the money or let him go?

Mr. Pink
12-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Franchise tag him if you can't get a deal done with him quickly. Once he hits the open market he's gone.