X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

If The Bills Had A Better Offensive Line This Year

How many more wins would they have today?

In the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys drafted a Guard in Zack Martin with the 16th pick in the 1st round, and he has been a huge reason why the Cowboys are in the playoffs again.

The Bills could have drafted Zack Martin.

Can one good guard make a huge difference?

Ask DeMarco Murray and Tony Romo.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Murray exploded out of a cannon in 2014 to become the NFL's leading rusher by a mile.

Tony Romo's thowing the ball a lot less than previous years thanks to DeMarco Murray and Zack Martin for a career high 70% completion percentage.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

If the Bills had an offensive line that could run the ball at will and protect the quarterback all day and night long, would the Bills be in the playoffs today?
  • sudzy
    • Apr 2013

Re: If The Bills Had A Better Offensive Line This Year

I wanted the Bills to draft Martin. But, he's not fast and shiny like a lot of the Bills fan want on this board.

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post

In the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys drafted a Guard in Zack Martin with the 16th pick in the 1st round, and he has been a huge reason why the Cowboys are in the playoffs again.

Murray exploded out of a cannon in 2014 to become the NFL's leading rusher by a mile.

Tony Romo's thowing the ball a lot less than previous years thanks to DeMarco Murray and Zack Martin for a career high 70% completion percentage.

If the Bills had an offensive line that could run the ball at will and protect the quarterback all day and night long, would the Bills be in the playoffs today?
      The Cowboys also added a new OC with a different philosophy. I can't say that the play of Martin play alone is what turned them around as let's not forget Murray was also able to stay healthy most of the year which also helped them had Freddie and CJ been healthy all year we might have had a better offense too. Face it we tried to fix the O-line with guys like Kujo, Richardson and signing a former 1st Round pick in Chris Williams but all of them failed and/or got hurt. I know we can play woulda/coulda/shoulda all offseason but to me I think Whaley did as good a job as we could have expected in 2014.

Comment

• GvilleBills
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
        The Cowboys also added a new OC with a different philosophy. I can't say that the play of Martin play alone is what turned them around as let's not forget Murray was also able to stay healthy most of the year which also helped them had Freddie and CJ been healthy all year we might have had a better offense too. Face it we tried to fix the O-line with guys like Kujo, Richardson and signing a former 1st Round pick in Chris Williams but all of them failed and/or got hurt. I know we can play woulda/coulda/shoulda all offseason but to me I think Whaley did as good a job as we could have expected in 2014.
        Well said. On this post, you were the Clown Prince of awesome.
        Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
          They also had another first rounder at center who actually played like a first rounder, and a LT who played like one of the best linemen in the league.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post

Just stop. You are making a fool or yourself. Orton SUCKS!!! The O-line is not as bad as Orton is. Many great QB's played behind lines worse than ours.

Even using Romo and Orton in the same thread is beyond ridiculous....trying to compare them is literally, insane.

Your attempts to make excuses for Orton bing such a suck-master is embarrassing.....for you.
            Last edited by notacon; 12-28-2014, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• coastal
              Legendary Zoner
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by notacon View Post
              Just stop. You are making a fool or yourself. Orton SUCKS!!! The O-line is not as bad as Orton is. Many great QB's played behind lines worse than ours.

Even using Romo and Orton in the same thread is beyond ridiculous....trying to compare them is literally, insane.

Your attempts to make excuses for Orton bing such a suck-master is embarrassing.....for you.
              if this is what i sound like when bashing Mario its no wonder nobody likes me.

Comment

• notacon
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                if this is what i sound like when bashing Mario its no wonder nobody likes me.
                Not sure what you are talking about.

Mario has played very well, and deserves the Pro Bowl bid he received. He played like one of the best DE's in the league this year.

Orton sucks. He is one of the worst QB's in the league.

If you continually bash Mario, you are just simply wrong and misguided. My bashing of Orton is 100% correct and right on the money.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

Not sure what you are talking about.

Mario has played very well, and deserves the Pro Bowl bid he received. He played like one of the best DE's in the league this year.

Orton sucks. He is one of the worst QB's in the league.

If you continually bash Mario, you are just simply wrong and misguided. My bashing of Orton is 100% correct and right on the money.
                  He's making a comment that scapegoating one single player for the entire ineptness from a group of 10 other guys might be foolish. As I will agree the play of Orton was maddening this season yet he's the best QB we have and likely the best one available to us this offseason. So instead of looking to run him out of town like Frankenstein's monster maybe we can give him some better players around him and see what he can do. I mean we were 7-5 under Orton despite having our worst running offense statistically in the modern 16 game era. If we can shore up the problems in the running game and find a legitimate TE I think we could improve next year even with Hackett calling the plays.

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Wow. Kyle Orton won 7 out of 12 games he played in this year with a horrid o-line that had him under constant pressure, an OC that doesn't seem to know his @ss from a hole in the ground and a HC who makes bad in-game decisions. Orton isn't great, but he's CLEARLY the best QB that has stepped onto the field since Bledsoe.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

If they had average QB play for the majority of the year they might have been 11-5.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

The o-line is easily the worst performing unit on the team, and it isn't even close.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          The o-line is easily the worst performing unit on the team, and it isn't even close.
                          Completely disagree. On the field the QB position was the worst performing unit but to be honest I think that's because the OC has no idea what the hell he's doing. Orton ended up looking like the slower version of EJ Manuel.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                            Completely disagree. On the field the QB position was the worst performing unit but to be honest I think that's because the OC has no idea what the hell he's doing. Orton ended up looking like the slower version of EJ Manuel.
                            Agree that QB's disappointed and are nothing special...agree that coaching changes are necessary on offense...but, the ineffectiveness of the offensive line was a detriment to both facets of that side of the ball...they couldn't protect the QB, and they couldn't run block. Both Manual and EJ, and all of the RB's, would have performed better with a stronger play from the oline...NO QB was going to have anything more than middling success with this oline.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sudzy
                              • Apr 2013

The Bills were 25th in the NFL in rushing and 26th in average per carry. If the could have been are the middle, that would have been 2 more wins and playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X