Guards available in FA

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Re: Guards available in FA

Iupati is very good, but sure to be very pricy. I doubt the Bills spend big bucks on another guard unless they unload Williams. Is Orlando Franklin healthy? Not seeing much after those two

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

Connolly will likely be the best guard available.

New England never pays for anyone and will just replace him with someone cheaper and it won't look any different.

Comment

• BLeonard
        BoB Sabermetrician
        • Jan 2003

Not to worry, many on here have stated that Offensive Guards aren't hard to come by and that the Bills shouldn't be paying a lot to sign/retain them...

At least, that's what I read when Levitre and Rinehart both left Buffalo...

-Bill

Comment

• Ed
          Dude
          • Sep 2002

Iupati should be the #1 free agent target for the Bills. I don't mind seeing the Bills pay top dollar for the best player at their position. As opposed to shelling out a big contract for a Derrick Dockery or Andy Levitre.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Andy Levitre will soon be on that list, no doubt.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

There are a dozen guards on that list better than Levitre...at least. Let it go for chrissakes, he wasn't worth the investment then, and that's been legitimized by his play in Tennessee the last two seasons and, most likely, his impending release this off season from the Titans. Losing Rhinehart hurt more than letting Levitre go, but if anybody has any details regarding his departure I'd love to hear them, because I haven't been able to find any.

Iupati is intriguing, but he's going to command major league dollars. I could 'settle' for Boling or Carpenter.

The fortunate thing is, the draft appears to be stacked with interior olinemen this year, so we should be able to pick up an instant starter at G or even center in the second and third round.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                There are a dozen guards on that list better than Levitre...at least. Let it go for chrissakes, he wasn't worth the investment then, and that's been legitimized by his play in Tennessee the last two seasons and, most likely, his impending release this off season from the Titans. Losing Rhinehart hurt more than letting Levitre go, but if anybody has any details regarding his departure I'd love to hear them, because I haven't been able to find any.

Iupati is intriguing, but he's going to command major league dollars. I could 'settle' for Boling or Carpenter.

The fortunate thing is, the draft appears to be stacked with interior olinemen this year, so we should be able to pick up an instant starter at G or even center in the second and third round.
                I'm not saying Levitre will be on the list because he was GOOD.

Just the opposite.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Iupati - 6 years 190 Mil and a fracking land holding !
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                    Iupati - 6 years 190 Mil and a fracking land holding !
                    He would be a great addition to the Bills offensive line. An interior lineman like Iupati is exactly what the Bills need the most to run the ball better.

Not a single 100 yard rusher for the Bills all year. Maybe that's why the Bills couldn't throw the ball more?

Comment

• scartown
                      • Dec 2008

Clint Boling would be my first target at guard. Good player who can move and should come at a decent price. Don't know if the Bengals will try to keep him.

Comment

• starrymessenger
                        • Oct 2009

Iupati would be a major upgrade no doubt and would be a big help in the run game.
                        Know what you are buying tho.
                        Road grader - yes.
                        Pass pro - no.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                          • Feb 2005

I actually would be very happy to see Levitre back with the Bills (assuming the Titans release him), and his contract will be very average. I think he can re-capture some of his old form and mesh well with our line. Cut Chris Williams and give that same money to Levitre.

Iupati is not likely to sign with us. We have some cap space, but not huge amounts to use at the Guard position.

I think our best bet is to sign a veteran for 1-2 years and look in the draft for 2 Guards.

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

But, but Chris Williams is coming back from injury. What are you guys all worried about?

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Lexwhat View Post
                              I actually would be very happy to see Levitre back with the Bills (assuming the Titans release him), and his contract will be very average. I think he can re-capture some of his old form and mesh well with our line. Cut Chris Williams and give that same money to Levitre.

Iupati is not likely to sign with us. We have some cap space, but not huge amounts to use at the Guard position.

I think our best bet is to sign a veteran for 1-2 years and look in the draft for 2 Guards.
                              Levitre was good in Buffalo because of Joe D'Alessandris and his blocking scheme. The same can be said for Eric Wood, Urbik and Pears. If you think Levitre can come back here, with the current scheme and coach, and be productive, then you are clueless. I guarantee that Levitre knows better. Wood told him.

Comment

Working...
                              X