PDA

View Full Version : Guards available in FA

MidnightVoice
12-29-2014, 08:07 AM
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/ufa/guard/available/

EDS
12-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Iupati is very good, but sure to be very pricy. I doubt the Bills spend big bucks on another guard unless they unload Williams. Is Orlando Franklin healthy? Not seeing much after those two

Mr. Pink
12-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Connolly will likely be the best guard available.

New England never pays for anyone and will just replace him with someone cheaper and it won't look any different.

BLeonard
12-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Not to worry, many on here have stated that Offensive Guards aren't hard to come by and that the Bills shouldn't be paying a lot to sign/retain them...

At least, that's what I read when Levitre and Rinehart both left Buffalo...

-Bill

Ed
12-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Iupati should be the #1 free agent target for the Bills. I don't mind seeing the Bills pay top dollar for the best player at their position. As opposed to shelling out a big contract for a Derrick Dockery or Andy Levitre.

better days
12-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Andy Levitre will soon be on that list, no doubt.

YardRat
12-29-2014, 04:51 PM
There are a dozen guards on that list better than Levitre...at least. Let it go for chrissakes, he wasn't worth the investment then, and that's been legitimized by his play in Tennessee the last two seasons and, most likely, his impending release this off season from the Titans. Losing Rhinehart hurt more than letting Levitre go, but if anybody has any details regarding his departure I'd love to hear them, because I haven't been able to find any.

Iupati is intriguing, but he's going to command major league dollars. I could 'settle' for Boling or Carpenter.

The fortunate thing is, the draft appears to be stacked with interior olinemen this year, so we should be able to pick up an instant starter at G or even center in the second and third round.

better days
12-29-2014, 04:52 PM
There are a dozen guards on that list better than Levitre...at least. Let it go for chrissakes, he wasn't worth the investment then, and that's been legitimized by his play in Tennessee the last two seasons and, most likely, his impending release this off season from the Titans. Losing Rhinehart hurt more than letting Levitre go, but if anybody has any details regarding his departure I'd love to hear them, because I haven't been able to find any.

Iupati is intriguing, but he's going to command major league dollars. I could 'settle' for Boling or Carpenter.

The fortunate thing is, the draft appears to be stacked with interior olinemen this year, so we should be able to pick up an instant starter at G or even center in the second and third round.

I'm not saying Levitre will be on the list because he was GOOD.

Just the opposite.

Night Train
12-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Iupati - 6 years 190 Mil and a fracking land holding !

BillsImpossible
12-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Iupati - 6 years 190 Mil and a fracking land holding !

He would be a great addition to the Bills offensive line. An interior lineman like Iupati is exactly what the Bills need the most to run the ball better.

Not a single 100 yard rusher for the Bills all year. Maybe that's why the Bills couldn't throw the ball more?

scartown
12-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Clint Boling would be my first target at guard. Good player who can move and should come at a decent price. Don't know if the Bengals will try to keep him.

starrymessenger
12-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Iupati would be a major upgrade no doubt and would be a big help in the run game.
Know what you are buying tho.
Road grader - yes.
Pass pro - no.

Lexwhat
12-29-2014, 10:43 PM
I actually would be very happy to see Levitre back with the Bills (assuming the Titans release him), and his contract will be very average. I think he can re-capture some of his old form and mesh well with our line. Cut Chris Williams and give that same money to Levitre.

Iupati is not likely to sign with us. We have some cap space, but not huge amounts to use at the Guard position.

I think our best bet is to sign a veteran for 1-2 years and look in the draft for 2 Guards.

swiper
12-30-2014, 02:14 AM
But, but Chris Williams is coming back from injury. What are you guys all worried about?

swiper
12-30-2014, 02:17 AM
I actually would be very happy to see Levitre back with the Bills (assuming the Titans release him), and his contract will be very average. I think he can re-capture some of his old form and mesh well with our line. Cut Chris Williams and give that same money to Levitre.

Iupati is not likely to sign with us. We have some cap space, but not huge amounts to use at the Guard position.

I think our best bet is to sign a veteran for 1-2 years and look in the draft for 2 Guards.

Levitre was good in Buffalo because of Joe D'Alessandris and his blocking scheme. The same can be said for Eric Wood, Urbik and Pears. If you think Levitre can come back here, with the current scheme and coach, and be productive, then you are clueless. I guarantee that Levitre knows better. Wood told him.

HHURRICANE
12-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Didn't Iupati get hurt?

I though he was holding his knee in the San Diego game?

stuckincincy
12-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Clint Boling would be my first target at guard. Good player who can move and should come at a decent price. Don't know if the Bengals will try to keep him.

They likely will. They very much like versatility and he was kicked outside to tackle until they signed Eric Winston to take RT Andre Smith's spot.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-30-2014, 01:57 PM
One of the things I got from the presser yesterday is that they may just kick Cordy inside, move Henderson to left, and have kwonjo (sp?) to right tackle. Marrone admitted that they discussed this during the season, even to Cordy. Not sure this is going to fly. Major question mark on RT in this case. But under that scenario, Richardson, Chris Williams, Urbik will compete for RG (and without a doubt, Marrone favors Richardson), and the problem becomes finding a swing tackle.

coastal
12-30-2014, 02:02 PM
One of the things I got from the presser yesterday is that they may just kick Cordy inside, move Henderson to left, and have kwonjo (sp?) to right tackle. Marrone admitted that they discussed this during the season, even to Cordy. Not sure this is going to fly. Major question mark on RT in this case. But under that scenario, Richardson, Chris Williams, Urbik will compete for RG (and without a doubt, Marrone favors Richardson), and the problem becomes finding a swing tackle.
Oh great... the whole kick Cordy into guard meme.

thats my favorite.

GvilleBills
12-30-2014, 02:12 PM

thats my favorite.

The reason that idea was outlandish was because Glenn was rocking LT at a pro bowl level.
That's not the case after last year, so everything is on the table. Not saying they should do it, but they should have the discussion.
At this point, I don't care who is where, as long as we can protect and push the pile.

Ed
12-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Interesting. Henderson and Glenn playing next to each other sounds pretty cool. That could also open the door to them looking OT's in free agency and the draft also, and not just OG's. Kouandjio is kind of the forgotten man, but this year has probably been pretty humbling for him and he's still only 21. I'd like to think he's got a lot of room to grow this year.

I still like Chris Hairston as a swing tackle and don't understand why he never got a chance to start over Pears at RG.

YardRat
12-30-2014, 07:11 PM

Hairston is an UDFA, but he should be had cheap and he's a decent swing. If we're going to be shuffling guys around, I'd rather get a dominant center and move Wood to guard opposite a FA. Glenn at LT or RT, and Henderson opposite, would depend on how they both progress going into next season.

I still think KuJo's going to find a starting gig on this line eventually, probably at G.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-30-2014, 07:37 PM

thats my favorite.

Glenn is main piece for that to happen. Anyone with his start of NFL career would object a move to anywhere other than LT. HOWEVER, we never got what illed Glenn this year. Who knows if that was something long term or just a one time thing.

ublinkwescore
12-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Mike Iupati with an eddy lacey type back that doesn't fumble would give me some serious chubbage. let spiller walk for the love of god - and if he is still under contract, trade his sorry ass.