PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hughes - "Never heard of a hometown discount"

DraftBoy
12-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Just got the update on the ESPN app. The update says he's set to become a Free Agent.

Would love to hear Whaley respond with an update on negotiations.

SpikedLemonade
12-29-2014, 09:14 AM
He will get close to $10M per year.

k-oneputt
12-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Like to keep him but wouldn't overpay.

It's nice playing off of Dareus, Kyle, and Mario.

tampabay25690
12-29-2014, 09:16 AM
I have a feeling he is as good as gone...
Will take the HUGE payday and will regret it in the long run.....

better days
12-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Just got the update on the ESPN app. The update says he's set to become a Free Agent.

Would love to hear Whaley respond with an update on negotiations.

Whaley & the Bills do not negotiate in the press.

I just want to see Hughes signed by the Bills behind closed doors.

justasportsfan
12-29-2014, 09:18 AM
Whaley should see what Maybin is up to these days.

DraftBoy
12-29-2014, 09:18 AM

I didn't say to negotiate through the press I said provide an update.

better days
12-29-2014, 09:22 AM
I didn't say to negotiate through the press I said provide an update.

Well, an update is not going to be forthcoming in the press either (by the Bills) until the deal is done or Hughes signs with another team.

DraftBoy
12-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Well, an update is not going to be forthcoming in the press either (by the Bills) until the deal is done or Hughes signs with another team.

I didn't say it was, I said I would love it to be.

A simple "We've had talks/exchanged numbers" would be sufficient. I know it's not going to happen.

RedEyE
12-29-2014, 09:28 AM
I'd rather not see any changes made to the defense with the exception of perhaps an upgrade at CB. Personally, I hope they bring them all back.

DraftBoy
12-29-2014, 09:31 AM
I'd rather not see any changes made to the defense with the exception of perhaps an upgrade at CB. Personally, I hope they bring them all back.

I don't feel good about keeping Hughes right now, though I'd love to.

Novacane
12-29-2014, 09:35 AM
I want Hughes back. If he leaves it will be very interesting to see how he performs without 3 pro bowlers on the line with him.

RedEyE
12-29-2014, 09:36 AM
You're probably right and quite honestly that sucks if they can't make it happen. Continuity and retaining talent has been the issue with this team. Regressing on defense and stumbling in with yet another new offense quite simply sucks exponentially. That's a guaranteed 16 year playoff drought.

casdhf
12-29-2014, 09:37 AM
What is a franchise tag up to for a DE now?

tomz
12-29-2014, 09:43 AM

My impression is that he is not on the same page as Marrone. He may actually want out.

EDS
12-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Bills have tons of cap space if they want t sign Hughes. Do you think they bring Spikes back or just count on moving Brown inside with Kiko and Bradham on the outside?

cookie G
12-29-2014, 09:44 AM

13 million, I think...

coastal
12-29-2014, 09:53 AM
He's gone

GingerP
12-29-2014, 09:59 AM
13 million, I think...

Last year it was $13.116M. It likely goes up this year, especially when the J.J. Watt contract is added in.

alohabillsfan
12-29-2014, 10:03 AM
I would hope that they would at least franchise him and maybe work a trade.

bf1
12-29-2014, 10:05 AM
I think he was the difference maker this year. Find a way to keep him or else stay in perpetual mediocrity.

Forward_Lateral
12-29-2014, 10:05 AM
They better franchise Dareus if they are going to franchise anyone.

The Jokeman
12-29-2014, 10:29 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24749485/nfl-franchise-tags-position-by-position-projected-numbers

10.339% of the cap, if the cap goes to $142M as projected than it's $14.68M. I've stated it before but I'd offer Hughes four years worth $40 million with $20 million guaranteed in his first two years.

jamze132
12-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Hughes benifited largely from the other 3 D lineman. I'm not taking anything away from him, he played great but the cost to retain him will probably be too high.

Scikko
12-29-2014, 10:46 AM
i'd like him back but if he wants 10 milions/year i give Wynn a chance and save cap for offensive line and qb

GvilleBills
12-29-2014, 10:53 AM
I agree he's likely priced himself out of Buffalo, but I would love for Whaley to get something for him if he can't sign him.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Only way he stays is if he gets tagged.

starrymessenger
12-29-2014, 05:27 PM
I wonder what his pricing will be compared with JPP.
I'd rather have JPP if available, especially if for the same or less money.

Yasgur's Farm
12-29-2014, 05:57 PM
He was the only 1 of the front 4 who did NOT make the pro bowl... Selah!

better days
12-29-2014, 06:20 PM
They better franchise Dareus if they are going to franchise anyone.

Dareus is under contract for next year.

Would be nice to see him extended ASAP though.

YardRat
12-29-2014, 06:26 PM
He said he'd be fine with the tag...at $14mil, who wouldn't?

This isn't going to be an easy negotiation...he's worked for two season for a pay day, and he's going to get one. If his demands are too rich for Pegula's blood, they really need to sign Spikes and find somebody to plug in at DE other than Wynn.

Ingtar33
12-30-2014, 12:29 AM
He will get close to $10M per year.

6 years 60 mil, of which 20 will be guarenteed is my prediction.

swiper
12-30-2014, 04:26 AM
Hughes benifited largely from the other 3 D lineman. I'm not taking anything away from him, he played great but the cost to retain him will probably be too high.

His statements are bargaining leverage. If he's smart, he will remember his time with the Colts. Often a change of scenery means a player will never enjoy notoriety again. He's in a niche here. The scheme and players surrounding him make it perfect for him. A smart career move would be to choose to stay.

YardRat
12-30-2014, 04:55 AM
6 years 60 mil, of which 20 will be guarenteed is my prediction.

That's doable...12 to 15 per isn't, so hopefully his agent isn't going to look for that.

Forward_Lateral
12-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Dareus is under contract for next year.

Would be nice to see him extended ASAP though.

Yeah, I just confirmed that. Why is everyone so concerned about Dareus? He's under contract through 2016 I believe.

Forward_Lateral
12-30-2014, 05:31 AM

This isn't going to be an easy negotiation...he's worked for two season for a pay day, and he's going to get one. If his demands are too rich for Pegula's blood, they really need to sign Spikes and find somebody to plug in at DE other than Wynn.

Loyalty works both ways though. The Bills picked him up off the scrap heap, and gave him a chance to be successful. That's something he didn't have in Indy. He was terrible there.

YardRat
12-30-2014, 05:35 AM
Loyalty works both ways though. The Bills picked him up off the scrap heap, and gave him a chance to be successful. That's something he didn't have in Indy. He was terrible there.

Yeah granted, but that only goes so far when it comes to money. One of his recent comments actually addressed that, and I wasn't real comfortable with how it was worded-(paraphrasing)-"Buffalo gave me the opportunity to succeed, and I'll always be grateful for that"-Ouch.

The Jokeman
12-30-2014, 05:40 AM

All the more reason for him to want more money. As players get that the NFL is a business and the best time to cash in is if and when they can. As if they don't get their money today there's no guaranteeing they'll get it tomorrow. Toss if they take below market value it hurts other players etc. Anyone who wants him to take less than $10m doesn't get that is about what his market value is or maybe more if a team really needs pass rush help and tons of cap space. A team like Cleveland scares me as Pettine's there and he might make Hughes it was him who turned his career around etc. and they could use him and have tons of cash to play with. That said if the Bills offer him a fair contract of what he's worth I would expect him to return unless he has an ego and doesn't want to live in the shadow of Mario, Dareus and Kyle.

jamze132
12-30-2014, 07:08 AM
His statements are bargaining leverage. If he's smart, he will remember his time with the Colts. Often a change of scenery means a player will never enjoy notoriety again. He's in a niche here. The scheme and players surrounding him make it perfect for him. A smart career move would be to choose to stay.

I completely agree. Albert Pujols should have stayed in STL where he was a legend.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 07:57 AM

Why resign Spikes? They have Alonso coming back to take over the MLB role.

The Jokeman
12-30-2014, 07:58 AM

Depth and/or security blanket incase Alonso doesn't come back 100%.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Depth and/or security blanket incase Alonso doesn't come back 100%.

Meh, it will be based on what Spikes wants. If he wants a big pay raise and multiple years then I have no interest. Also not sure how he's going to feel about being a backup.

better days
12-30-2014, 08:07 AM

When Kiko comes back, he will be an OLB.

The Bills drafted Brown to play the middle & he had a great Rookie year.

But I would love to see Spikes back, he not only is GREAT against the run, he is a LEADER.

The Jokeman
12-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Meh, it will be based on what Spikes wants. If he wants a big pay raise and multiple years then I have no interest. Also not sure how he's going to feel about being a backup.

I'd give him $5m for two seasons as a base maybe give him an $1m signing bonus to sweeten it but definately not more money and/or a lot of years as to me Bradham is the LB we need to consider locking down long term.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 08:11 AM

But I would love to see Spikes back, he not only is GREAT against the run, he is a LEADER.

Either way, I don't care. Little interest in Spikes beyond the job he did this year.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 08:12 AM
I'd give him $5m for two seasons as a base maybe give him an $1m signing bonus to sweeten it but definately not more money and/or a lot of years as to me Bradham is the LB we need to consider locking down long term.

If he takes that then its not a bad deal, but again I'm not benching any of Bradham, Brown, or Alonso for him. So if he accepts that role and plays ST I could live with it.

GingerP
12-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Also not sure how he's going to feel about being a backup.

He already is a backup. He played less than half their defensive snaps this year.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 09:57 AM
He already is a backup. He played less than half their defensive snaps this year.

He started every game I believe but didn't play on passing downs or against passing personnel sets because he is a liability in coverage. He's a two down only LB.

better days
12-30-2014, 10:05 AM
He started every game I believe but didn't play on passing downs or against passing personnel sets because he is a liability in coverage. He's a two down only LB.

Well, he is a DAMN GOOD two down LB.

One of the best run stuffers in the entire NFL.

I would love to have him back in Buffalo.

And as I said he is a LEADER in the locker room which should not be dismissed.

coastal
12-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Hughes is overrated and not worth a huge contract.

Keep Spikes... the depth at linebacking paid huge dividends this year... especially when Kiko went down.

Mario has to restructure.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Well, he is a DAMN GOOD two down LB.

One of the best run stuffers in the entire NFL.

I would love to have him back in Buffalo.

And as I said he is a LEADER in the locker room which should not be dismissed.

Nobody said he wasn't, but I'm not starting him over any of the current three LB's we have and I can find a cheaper depth option on the market.

If Spikes will take an even more reduced role next season and pay that goes along with that then sure he can stay, play ST and sub in on certain packages.

DynaPaul
12-30-2014, 11:07 AM
I want Hughes back. If he leaves it will be very interesting to see how he performs without 3 pro bowlers on the line with him.

He'll look exactly like he did on the team he just came from.

better days
12-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Nobody said he wasn't, but I'm not starting him over any of the current three LB's we have and I can find a cheaper depth option on the market.

If Spikes will take an even more reduced role next season and pay that goes along with that then sure he can stay, play ST and sub in on certain packages.

As you said before, if Spikes in on the team, he STARTS.

Plays the first two downs & the third if it is third & short.

NO other LB the Bills could get would be as good as Spikes against the run.

Don't over pay for him, but pay him what he is worth.

Spikes has said he LOVES playing in Buffalo & football is FUN for him for the first time since he came into the NFL.

I think the deal gets done to keep Spikes.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 11:13 AM
As you said before, if Spikes in on the team, he STARTS.

Then I have no interest in having him here.

better days
12-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Then I have no interest in having him here.

Thank God you are not the Bills GM.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Thank God you are not the Bills GM.

So which of our three young LB's all of whom need time to continue to progress are you benching for Spikes to play? Bradham our best cover LB? Brown our most technically sound tackling LB? Or Alonso our biggest playmaker as a LB?

You mentioned Brown moving to MLB so I'm assuming its him which means you're benching our top returning tackler and the player who needs to most snaps of any of the three I mentioned given his relative youth and transition to a new position.

That is clearly a genius idea.

better days
12-30-2014, 11:32 AM
So which of our three young LB's all of whom need time to continue to progress are you benching for Spikes to play? Bradham our best cover LB? Brown our most technically sound tackling LB? Or Alonso our biggest playmaker as a LB?

You mentioned Brown moving to MLB so I'm assuming its him which means you're benching our top returning tackler and the player who needs to most snaps of any of the three I mentioned given his relative youth and transition to a new position.

That is clearly a genius idea.

Brown is the LB that replaces Spikes in the Middle on passing downs.

No doubt if Spikes leaves, Brown will take over the middle LB spot.

But I would prefer to keep things as they were this year but add Kiko to the outside.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Brown is the LB that replaces Spikes in the Middle on passing downs.

No doubt if Spikes leaves, Brown will take over the middle LB spot.

But I would prefer to keep things as they were this year but add Kiko to the outside.

So you bench our top tackler from this season and potentially stunt his growth by limiting his snap count.

Like I said a genius idea.

better days
12-30-2014, 11:47 AM
So you bench our top tackler from this season and potentially stunt his growth by limiting his snap count.

Like I said a genius idea.

MUCH better than your genius idea of getting rid of the best run stuffer in the entire NFL.

Brown, & Bradham would both see a lot of playing time along with Kiko.

And I guess you need to be reminded.........INJURIES happen in the NFL. Ask KIKO.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 11:59 AM
MUCH better than your genius idea of getting rid of the best run stuffer in the entire NFL.

Brown, & Bradham would both see a lot of playing time along with Kiko.

And I guess you need to be reminded.........INJURIES happen in the NFL. Ask KIKO.

Kiko was injured during off-season training.

better days
12-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Kiko was injured during off-season training.

Your point is what?

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Your point is what?

That Kiko wasn't injured playing football??

swiper
12-30-2014, 12:31 PM

I feel the same way.

better days
12-30-2014, 12:37 PM
That Kiko wasn't injured playing football??

I never said injuries occur while playing the game.

Some do occur while playing, others occur while training/practicing.

Still others can occur while walking on a wet rubber mat..ask Kevin Kolb.

The POINT is injuries do occur & you can never have too many good players on the team.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 12:43 PM
I never said injuries occur while playing the game.

Some do occur while playing, others occur while training/practicing.

Still others can occur while walking on a wet rubber mat..ask Kevin Kolb.

The POINT is injuries do occur & you can never have too many good players on the team.

And nobody disagreed with that point. However, I'm not in favor of keeping players that could lead to us stunting our strong and developing players. I like Spikes, I think he was a big part of the defense this year. But with Alonso back and the way Brown and Bradham played I don't want him back if he's going to start and take snaps away from any of those three. I don't see any value in that for this team moving forward.

better days
12-30-2014, 01:04 PM
And nobody disagreed with that point. However, I'm not in favor of keeping players that could lead to us stunting our strong and developing players. I like Spikes, I think he was a big part of the defense this year. But with Alonso back and the way Brown and Bradham played I don't want him back if he's going to start and take snaps away from any of those three. I don't see any value in that for this team moving forward.

The value is that no other LB on the Bills is better at stopping the run than Spikes.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 01:06 PM
The value is that no other LB on the Bills is better at stopping the run than Spikes.

I think Brown is right there, Alonso is a more dynamic playmaker in the run game, and Bradham is more athletic with the ability to run from sideline to sideline. Additionally all three of those guys don't represent liability in the passing game for when the offense goes with play action and the LB needs to drop.

So I disagree that there is value there.

better days
12-30-2014, 01:09 PM
I think Brown is right there, Alonso is a more dynamic playmaker in the run game, and Bradham is more athletic with the ability to run from sideline to sideline. Additionally all three of those guys don't represent liability in the passing game for when the offense goes with play action and the LB needs to drop.

So I disagree that there is value there.

Brown is a better all around LB than Spikes, but Spikes has proven to be one of the best in the NFL at stopping the run.

And as I said, you can never have too many good players.

justasportsfan
12-30-2014, 01:11 PM
tag and trade. That's how we try to recoup our 1st rd pick.

better days
12-30-2014, 01:15 PM
tag and trade. That's how we try to recoup our 1st rd pick.

If the Bills can't get him resigned, I would be down with that.

But Whaley said the Bills do not like to do that because it affects FA's they want to sign.

The Bills want potential FA's to know the Bills won't hold on to them against their wishes.

DraftBoy
12-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Brown is a better all around LB than Spikes, but Spikes has proven to be one of the best in the NFL at stopping the run.

And as I said, you can never have too many good players.

I agree, and I'd be happy to have him back in a backup/depth role.

streetkings01
12-31-2014, 09:10 AM
People *****ed about losing Byrd and the defense actually got alot better. Not saying that losing Hughes wont hurt but the main reason why the defense has been good the last 2 years is because Dareus is reaching his full potential. Dareus is the key to the defense.......the defense goes where he goes.

X-Era
12-31-2014, 10:02 AM
I only disagree from this standpoint and I could easily go the other way... None of the rest of the guys are as good against the run as Spikes. And, I want to rotate and have quality depth... just makes us that much better. These guys can all still grow without playing all 3 downs. Spikes can come in on rushing downs and be injury insurance.

All that said, I could agree with letting Spikes walk and using the money to add to the OL for example.

I could go either way on Spikes.

k-oneputt
12-31-2014, 10:10 AM
People *****ed about losing Byrd and the defense actually got alot better. Not saying that losing Hughes wont hurt but the main reason why the defense has been good the last 2 years is because Dareus is reaching his full potential. Dareus is the key to the defense.......the defense goes where he goes.

And where are all of those fanboys now who wanted him gone for smoking weed and failing a conditioning test ?

THATHURMANATOR
12-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Hughes must be retained.

This tag and trade talk is ******ed.

What would they get a 3rd rounder? (unlikely even)

Hughes is one of the most valuable players on the team. With Pegula we can now structure contracts in a more favorable way as he won't be afraid to go bigger on bonus etc. Why wouldn't we try to keep him?

I don't blame him on the hometown discount either

IlluminatusUIUC
12-31-2014, 10:32 AM
And where are all of those fanboys now who wanted him gone for smoking weed and failing a conditioning test ?

I was more concerned with him street racing to be honest. A couple elements of that story break the wrong way and Dareus is in prison right now.

MikeInRoch
12-31-2014, 10:46 AM
I have a feeling he is as good as gone...
Will take the HUGE payday and will regret it in the long run.....

Why on earth do you think he'll regret it?

User Manuel
12-31-2014, 11:50 AM
He has Atlanta Falcon written all over him. Especially if Rex goes there. They have zero pass rush.

streetkings01
01-08-2015, 12:14 PM
He has Atlanta Falcon written all over him. Especially if Rex goes there. They have zero pass rush.How much cap space do they have? They have alot of coin tied into Ryan, White and J. Jones.

better days
01-08-2015, 12:31 PM
I only disagree from this standpoint and I could easily go the other way... None of the rest of the guys are as good against the run as Spikes. And, I want to rotate and have quality depth... just makes us that much better. These guys can all still grow without playing all 3 downs. Spikes can come in on rushing downs and be injury insurance.

All that said, I could agree with letting Spikes walk and using the money to add to the OL for example.

I could go either way on Spikes.

If the Bills were up against the cap, I could understand letting Spikes walk in favor of an OL player.

But there is more than enough cap space to keep Spikes & sign anyone else they want to.