PDA

View Full Version : Schefter - Wouldn't Be Surprised If Marrone Opts Out

Night Train
12-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Adam Schefter was just on Sirius NFL radio and said it would not surprise him if Marrone opts out.

Said if he does, he would be a coveted candidate for other HC jobs.

Wow..Really ? Coveted candidate ?

SpikedLemonade
12-29-2014, 05:38 PM
I think this is just a smoke screen by Marrone so that they don't force him to fire Hackett.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-29-2014, 05:39 PM
bs

BillsImpossible
12-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Marrone has two more days to opt out of his contract via a clause put in it that says he has a 3 day window to opt out after a change in ownership.

Marrone would look horrible dumping a 9-7 team that's a good quarterback away from being a serious contender.

He would be a, 'coveted candidate,' because he has put together two seasons of competitive football with 5 quarterbacks, helped fix the defense, and helped fix the special teams.

The Bills are a lot better under Marrone than any coach they've had since Wade Phillips.

Night Train
12-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Marrone has two more days to opt out of his contract via a clause put in it that says he has a 3 day window to opt out after a change in ownership.

Marrone would look horrible dumping a 9-7 team that's a good quarterback away from being a serious contender.

He would be a, 'coveted candidate,' because he has put together two seasons of competitive football with 5 quarterbacks, helped fix the defense, and helped fix the special teams.

The Bills are a lot better under Marrone than any coach they've had since Wade Phillips.

..with a bottom 5 offense.

BillsImpossible
12-29-2014, 05:55 PM
..with a bottom 5 offense.

And 5 bad QB's in Kolb, Manuel, Tuel, Lewis, and Orton.

Novacane
12-29-2014, 06:09 PM
Does anyone know when his 3 day option starts? And Schefter is just talking out his ass

imbondz
12-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Makes no sense he'd opt out. Where would he go? Raiders? Bears? Falcons? None of those options are better than the Bills talent wise. They may offer him more $ tho. But he hasn't earned that. it's just Schefter speculating about absolutely nothing.

chris66
12-29-2014, 06:17 PM
that would suck. i want marrone to stay. he is a game day knucklehead

DesertFox24
12-29-2014, 06:29 PM
The only place that I am affraid of is Atlanta as they have a franchise qb. Oakland second since Carr looks like he will be in the dalton above average good starter group and they have a container ship of money available

BertSquirtgum
12-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Good. Peace out.

djjimkelly
12-29-2014, 06:51 PM
HOW ABOUT THIS MARRONE CAN GO F$CK HIMSELF

he played a loser qb who knew im here to steal 5 mil and it looks good on marrone that orton took their money and ran

Typ0
12-29-2014, 07:04 PM
I thought of this too. It's not a reach really. If Pegula wants to go in another direction he tells Marrone who gets to opt out. It's the win win solution.

jamze132
12-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Per my sources, if he opts out, Schwartz is offered HC and Peppers is promoted to DC. Hackett gets the axe. Sexy Rexy is plan B.

WagonCircler
12-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Per my sources, if he opts out, Schwartz is offered HC and Peppers is promoted to DC. Hackett gets the axe. Sexy Rexy is plan B.

I think I'd rather have Rex than Schwartz.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-29-2014, 08:17 PM
I think I'd rather have Rex than Schwartz.

Yea. I may agree. Depends on the o coordinator though!

Bunion
12-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Schefter's stirring ****, nothing more

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2014, 12:56 AM

And who's fault is that? Whaley is definitely to blame, but Marrone had to have some say in it as well. As such both he and Dougie need to get the boot.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea. I may agree. Depends on the o coordinator though!

Agreed. At this point why not.

swiper
12-30-2014, 02:01 AM
I'd be much more worried if Schwartz left.

And why anyone would want Rex Ryan is beyond common sense. Watching his asinine press conferences have become a joke in NYC. He's an idiot who refuses to be involved, at all, in the offense. I don't want a HC not involved in both sides of the ball.

Let Schwartz coach the team. You all claimed he was a step back from Pettine. He showed you you were wrong. He would do better at the HC than Marrone.

sudzy
12-30-2014, 02:19 AM
When was the last time Schefter ever got a story involving the Bills right?

YardRat
12-30-2014, 04:58 AM
I'm more concerned about Schwartz bolting for the Chicago job.

RedEyE
12-30-2014, 05:18 AM
Unless its Hackett, I don't want to see any of the coaches leave this year. This team needs some continuity.

Forward_Lateral
12-30-2014, 05:20 AM
I don't understand why anyone would want Marrone to leave. The guy is the only winning coach the team has had in 10 years. You want to run the guy out of town? I don't get it.

Historian
12-30-2014, 06:06 AM
I'm more concerned about Schwartz bolting for the Chicago job.

You know, it's funny.

We've have had a losing program for ten years. Now we finally put together a couple decent seasons, and everyone wants our coordinators.

I don't get it.

Typ0
12-30-2014, 06:19 AM
I don't understand why anyone would want Marrone to leave. The guy is the only winning coach the team has had in 10 years. You want to run the guy out of town? I don't get it.

He's a weak game day manager. He can prepare the team to play but can't play them properly. Why even spin your wheels with a guy who is clearly going to get out coached in the playoffs if he has a chance to get there?

Forward_Lateral
12-30-2014, 06:24 AM
He's a weak game day manager. He can prepare the team to play but can't play them properly. Why even spin your wheels with a guy who is clearly going to get out coached in the playoffs if he has a chance to get there?

So he's been a weak game day manager every game? Even with the 9 wins? Sure he has things he needs to learn, but no coach is perfect. Would you not agree that the team is headed in the right direction?

Typ0
12-30-2014, 06:31 AM
So he's been a weak game day manager every game? Even with the 9 wins? Sure he has things he needs to learn, but no coach is perfect. Would you not agree that the team is headed in the right direction?

yes, pretty much every game has been suspect. Even in the preparation from a supposed running team how pathetic was our running game all season? No excuses to never demonstrate anything in that area. This is just an example of weakness in the teams preparation too--an area of strength. The mentality of the team has been outstanding which is huge. In the big picture though the team is going no where with Marrone at the helm. He has been a vital cog in the process of success but not the one whose going to move it forward to the next level. Let's find that guy.

RedEyE
12-30-2014, 06:38 AM
New NFL coach. I give him a bit of leeway as long as he shows signs of improvement. 6-10 then improved to 9-7. Went from one of the worst defenses to one of the best. I give him another year to improve the offense. A good QB puts this team over the edge.

Forward_Lateral
12-30-2014, 06:41 AM
New NFL coach. I give him a bit of leeway as long as he shows signs of improvement. 6-10 then improved to 9-7. Went from one of the worst defenses to one of the best. I give him another year to improve the offense. A good QB puts this team over the edge.

Exactly. He improved the team by 3 wins. You don't fire a coach who's headed upwards. No other NFL coach is going to want to come to an organization that fires it's first winning coach in 10 years.

Don't Panic
12-30-2014, 06:48 AM
yes, pretty much every game has been suspect. Even in the preparation from a supposed running team how pathetic was our running game all season? No excuses to never demonstrate anything in that area. This is just an example of weakness in the teams preparation too--an area of strength. The mentality of the team has been outstanding which is huge. In the big picture though the team is going no where with Marrone at the helm. He has been a vital cog in the process of success but not the one whose going to move it forward to the next level. Let's find that guy.

What a joke... I guess other teams who hold him in high regard don't know as much as you. Not to mention the players who say they love playing for him.

How about the fact that we have subpar personnel in every area of the offense except maybe WR? How about that we spent over $17 million more on our defense than our offense? No... has to be Marrone.

jamze132
12-30-2014, 07:07 AM

He can't improve over time? He's only been a HC in the NFL for two seasons and we saw significant strides in gameday management this year. Each week, you can question 32 HCs as to why they punted on 4th and 1 late in the game.

notacon
12-30-2014, 07:23 AM

All Marrone's fault.

RedEyE
12-30-2014, 07:30 AM
I tell you what,now is not the time to be looking for a new NFL caliber coach. I do not envy teams like Chicago, Atlanta and SF. Its probably the reason that Gruden gets another shot in Washington.

Unfortunately its the same for the QB pot.

Night Train
12-30-2014, 07:32 AM

Lovie Smith went to a SB in Chicago with top asst. coaches and was exposed when they left. Ron Rivera ran his D, which carried him and he left. (will Schwartz do the same ?). Then Lovie was exposed for what he was. Clueless and without any idea what to do with his offense. His solution was Orton at QB. Sound familiar ?

Now Lovie is hired by Tampa... many pick them to do well and they're dead last in the NFL, picking 1st in the upcoming draft.

We won due to this D which he has zero to do with, not any shrewd calls on the O side of the ball. That's his deal with Hackett and we're bottom 5. How will that improve if nothing changes ? They can take Whaley with them, since we're very light in this upcoming draft and must throw $$ at FA or fail to improve on the O side of the ball.

The Pats game was a pre-season win and they struggled in far too many games on the O side of the ball. I give the credit to Schwartz and the D players for any success this season. Marrone, next to zero.

We won games in spite of him and Hackett.

better days
12-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Exactly. He improved the team by 3 wins. You don't fire a coach who's headed upwards. No other NFL coach is going to want to come to an organization that fires it's first winning coach in 10 years.

Nonsense. There are a LIMITED amount of HC jobs in the NFL.

The Bills would have no trouble filling it.

And as for the "winning" record it is BOGUS.

The Pats* had NOTHING to play for & were playing their scrubs, their only thought in this game was to come out of it HEALTHY.

With the playoffs on the line, Marrone & the Bills lost to a team that beat only TWO other teams all season.

Don't Panic
12-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Nonsense. There are a LIMITED amount of HC jobs in the NFL.

The Bills would have no trouble filling it.

And as for the "winning" record it is BOGUS.

The Pats* had NOTHING to play for & were playing their scrubs, their only thought in this game was to come out of it HEALTHY.

With the playoffs on the line, Marrone & the Bills lost to a team that beat only TWO other teams all season.

You're usually spot on bd, but I disagree here. There is never nothing to play for. Brady would have loved to have a solid half and he didn't. That's because of the opponent, not the lack of desire. Also with the playoffs on the line, Marrone & the Bills beat a team that was widely regarded as the best team in football in week 15. Or does Schwartz get credit for the wins and Marrone/Hackett for the losses?

HAMMER
12-30-2014, 10:09 AM

Our running game sucked because our O-Line sucked.

You're usually spot on bd, but I disagree here. There is never nothing to play for. Brady would have loved to have a solid half and he didn't. That's because of the opponent, not the lack of desire. Also with the playoffs on the line, Marrone & the Bills beat a team that was widely regarded as the best team in football in week 15. Or does Schwartz get credit for the wins and Marrone/Hackett for the losses?

Brady didn't have 2 starting O-Linemen, Edelman, or Gronkowski. Our defense is stout but not even Brady can overcome 4 starters on offense being out.

better days
12-30-2014, 10:16 AM

Well, I have to agree with you about Brady. No doubt he was disappointed he didn't throw a TD in that game.

And the Bills made him look MEDIOCRE without Gronk & his other weapons on the field.

As for Credit, I think Schwartz & the Defense deserve the Lions share of it.

Forward_Lateral
12-30-2014, 10:33 AM
So Marrone gets all the blame for a crappy offense, and zero credit for a great defense?

Makes absolute sense. Some people on this board need to fly Air Asia.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Our running game sucked because our O-Line sucked.

Brady didn't have 2 starting O-Linemen, Edelman, or Gronkowski. Our defense is stout but not even Brady can overcome 4 starters on offense being out.

so once again people. why is it an excuse for the other team to be without 4 offensive starters but not an excuse for us. we WERE down 4 defensive starters too. (Alonso, Dareus, Gilmore and McFumbles) So that's a wash IMO

better days
12-30-2014, 10:46 AM
So Marrone gets all the blame for a crappy offense, and zero credit for a great defense?

Makes absolute sense. Some people on this board need to fly Air Asia.

Marrone gets credit for hiring Pettine & Schwartz.

GREAT job hiring DC's.

If only he did as well with his OC.

better days
12-30-2014, 10:49 AM
so once again people. why is it an excuse for the other team to be without 4 offensive starters but not an excuse for us. we WERE down 4 defensive starters too. (Alonso, Dareus, Gilmore and McFumbles) So that's a wash IMO

Good point. It looks like Brady is at the point he needs weapons around him.

He can no longer take a game over by himself.

DRutka
12-30-2014, 11:36 AM

Why? Because in certain games, 1 or 2 adjustments in the 2nd half, 1 or 2 different play calls in certain situations, 1 or 2 certain lineup changes could have seriously meant 3 or 4 more wins THIS SEASON. Houston, KC, Miami and Oakland were all winnable games, Could you imagine... if we would have won 3 or 4 of these... we would have had home field throughout.

Here are just some of Marrone’s shortcomings…
- His lack of confidence in his players on 4th down.
- His idea of punting when down by 2 scores and truly thinking we will get the ball back 2 or 3 times with under 10 minutes to play.
- After saying he was bringing in coordinators that had "True NFL experience", he brings in someone that was a "quality control coach" in the NFL. Basically, equivalent to a coaches assistant's assistant.
- His lack of dressing certain players because of some sort of personal grievance.
- His “play not to lose” vs “Play to win” mentality.
- When things are working for us and teams make adjustments, he feels he doesn’t need to make counter adjustments.
- When things don’t work right away (running game), he abandons the game plan too quickly.
- 3 different quarterbacks have REGRESSED under his system (EJ, Lewis & Orton). I know people say this qb or that qb sucks, but seriously, I find this one the most troubling thing.

yordad
12-30-2014, 12:41 PM

Makes absolute sense. Some people on this board need to fly Air Asia.Marrone is a former lineman and offensive coordinator. He was supposed to be an innovative offensive mind. Or.... do you think he should be given credit for implementing Rex Ryans (or a variation of) defense with our star studded cast last year? Or, implementing Swartz defense with a star studded cast this year?

Marrone does not get credit for this defense. He is an offensive minded head coach and our offense sucks. Do you think if Swartz was promoted to Bills head coach that our defense would flounder due to the lose of Marrone? Um.... no.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2014, 12:43 PM
The only thing he would opt out for is to go to Michigan.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-30-2014, 12:48 PM
The only thing he would opt out for is to go to Michigan.

for what? to be an assistant head coach? Cuz Harbaugh has signed as of today if i'm not mistaken

Mr. Pink
12-30-2014, 12:49 PM
for what? to be an assistant head coach? Cuz Harbaugh has signed as of today if i'm not mistaken

Oh did he? I hadn't heard.

Scratch that then.

justasportsfan
12-30-2014, 12:56 PM

yup, lets find a guy who gets out coached in the regular season. Just when we're so close to the playoffs, some of you guys want us to rebuild again. I'm sure the players especially the D would love that idea. Not really.

Sometimes I think we deserve another 15 years of no playoffs.

Typ0
12-30-2014, 12:58 PM
He can't improve over time? He's only been a HC in the NFL for two seasons and we saw significant strides in gameday management this year. Each week, you can question 32 HCs as to why they punted on 4th and 1 late in the game.

Strides? What strides? What we saw was his ignorance of mistakes he was making. What we saw was his ignorance of what was happening on the field. What we saw was his stubbornness and this is not going to change. We have seen the writing on the wall. He and Hackett have orchestrated our stellar offense and put a defensive guy in charge of the defense. The same **** happened at SU where pretty much everyone was happy to see him walk. Yes, the mentality of the organization has changed he did the same thing there but the team is still a loser until they get better coaching period. Marrone and Hackett are supposed offensive masterminds who can make a mediocre line sing. Well they sucked. You want more of the same next year or do you want to take the talent we do have and kick it up a knotch? Don't be a fool. BAM!

better days
12-30-2014, 01:00 PM
yup, lets find a guy who gets out coached in the regular season. Just when we're so close to the playoffs, some of you guys want us to rebuild again. I'm sure the players especially the D would love that idea. Not really.

Sometimes I think we deserve another 15 years of no playoffs.

Nobody deserves that.

justasportsfan
12-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Strides? What strides? What we saw was his ignorance of mistakes he was making. What we saw was his ignorance of what was happening on the field. What we saw was his stubbornness and this is not going to change. We have seen the writing on the wall. He and Hackett have orchestrated our stellar offense and put a defensive guy in charge of the defense. The same **** happened at SU where pretty much everyone was happy to see him walk. Yes, the mentality of the organization has changed he did the same thing there but the team is still a loser until they get better coaching period. Marrone and Hackett are supposed offensive masterminds who can make a mediocre line sing. Well they sucked. You want more of the same next year or do you want to take the talent we do have and kick it up a knotch? Don't be a fool. BAM!

So who would you suggest we hire?

Forward_Lateral
12-31-2014, 05:15 AM
Marrone is a former lineman and offensive coordinator. He was supposed to be an innovative offensive mind. Or.... do you think he should be given credit for implementing Rex Ryans (or a variation of) defense with our star studded cast last year? Or, implementing Swartz defense with a star studded cast this year?

Marrone does not get credit for this defense. He is an offensive minded head coach and our offense sucks. Do you think if Swartz was promoted to Bills head coach that our defense would flounder due to the lose of Marrone? Um.... no.

Yes he deserves credit for anything to do with the Defense. If you are going to blame him for the offense, you have to blame him for the defense too. Some of you can't see past the end of your own noses.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't bother. It seems like common sense is at a premium around here lately. You'd think the Bills just finished 4-12

GingerP
12-31-2014, 05:17 AM
It wouldn't be a surprise if Marrone was trying to parlay the opt-out clause into an extension with more security. He has some leverage with the change in ownership.

I suppose none of it matters after today.

swiper
12-31-2014, 05:21 AM

Now I'm not suggesting it. But, down in the NYC area the tag team of Scott Pioli/Josh McDaniels has been mentioned. And, given the coaching vacancies, it wouldn't be a stretch to see those two come together again for some team with the theme (in that given city) being - Belichick was better the second time around.

Typ0
12-31-2014, 05:35 AM

When Maroone was hired they did what Brandon called an "exhaustive search" for the best coach. I think they bedded down in Arizona for two days and interviewed three guys in that time. Two guys, Billick and Shottenheimer, were on the radar via themselves yet were never even interviewed in this exhaustive search. Other names were mentioned but not interested and/or interviewed. Wilson was aging. People didn't want to work here for many reasons. The top tier guys--the one Wilson promised us. That guy is not Doug Marrone. The time is NOW to get a guy in here with a history of fielding teams that compete in the playoffs. And if it's going to be an up and comer then we need and up and commer who is coming not a guy who flails around clueless on game day. I like a lot of things about Maroone and appreciate his accomplishments but this is business. This squad needs better coaching.

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 07:39 AM

BS. Mularkey and Clements went 9 - 7 their FIRST year here.

Don't Panic
12-31-2014, 07:51 AM
BS. Mularkey and Clements went 9 - 7 their FIRST year here.

BS and Mularkey are the same word...

Woodman
12-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Schefter ..... does anybody really pay attention to this crap.

Marrone cuts his own throat by opting out.

He's got the softest spot he's ever gonna land in already.

To me he's a HC in training .... not a valuable commodity if you are attempting to win games.

His handling and selection of the QB position tells me enough about him for now and any organization that looks past the obvious deserves what they get.

GingerP
12-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Adam Caplan says it is a possibility as well:

Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 37m 37 minutes ago
If Marrone opts out, he goes near the top of available HC coaches. And he has a staff ready to go, which is key.

Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 42m 42 minutes ago
As of 10 minutes ago, league source said that #Bills coaches still aren't sure whether Marrone will opt out. Stay tuned...

Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 51m 51 minutes ago
Most #Bills asst coaches are only signed through 2015 (Schwartz's longer). Marrone looking for more stability from ownership, source said.

Bill Cody
12-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Schefter ..... does anybody really pay attention to this crap.

Marrone cuts his own throat by opting out.

He's got the softest spot he's ever gonna land in already.

To me he's a HC in training .... not a valuable commodity if you are attempting to win games.

His handling and selection of the QB position tells me enough about him for now and any organization that looks past the obvious deserves what they get.

I don't know. It's not like he was debating between Montana and Young. You don't pick up a good QB at Whole Foods. Use your head here. The NFL is a QB league. How many games are you going to win with below average play at QB? Even if you do it with mirrors for a while it will catch up with you. Ask Rex Ryan. Marrone will eventually lose his job here because of this issue. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Opt out Doug!

For the love of God, GO GET A BETTER JOB!

feldspar
12-31-2014, 12:33 PM
When was the last time Schefter ever got a story involving the Bills right?

This isn't a "story." I'm not sure that Schefter even said what the OP suggests. Here's what I know he said:

"Some people have suggested that he wouldn't go without having a head-coaching opportunity, to which I would say, if Doug Marrone is on the market, he doesn't have to know if there will be one: there will be one. Because when he was coming out a couple years back and interviewing along with the likes of Chip Kelly and Bill O'Brien, there were a couple of different executives that told me that they thought that Doug Marrone would be the most successful head coach of that bunch.

"If Doug Marrone were to hit the marketplace tomorrow, to me, he instantly becomes maybe the top guy on the street available for another team to hire and I think he'd get action right away. Right away.

"It's a situation where he has (to) determine what he wants to do. That's going to be his call here in the next three days. We'll see what he decides. I don't think it's a dead-lock clinch, an automatic thing that he's back in Buffalo. It's not like this clause exists and it's like, 'OK, yeah, we're fine, everything's fine and dandy and we're gonna go on.' Would it floor me if he opted out? Not at all."

"I think he's well regarded and well-respected in league circles. And again, we see the openings that exist right now: We have openings in Atlanta, we openings in Chicago, we have openings with the Jets, we may have an opening with Oakland, and there may be more. So if you think that Doug Marrone wouldn't be in serious play for one of those jobs, I think that would be a mistake."

Ed
12-31-2014, 12:41 PM
This isn't a "story." I'm not sure that Schefter even said what the OP suggests. Here's what I know he said:

"Some people have suggested that he wouldn't go without having a head-coaching opportunity, to which I would say, if Doug Marrone is on the market, he doesn't have to know if there will be one: there will be one. Because when he was coming out a couple years back and interviewing along with the likes of Chip Kelly and Bill O'Brien, there were a couple of different executives that told me that they thought that Doug Marrone would be the most successful head coach of that bunch.

"If Doug Marrone were to hit the marketplace tomorrow, to me, he instantly becomes maybe the top guy on the street available for another team to hire and I think he'd get action right away. Right away.

"It's a situation where he has (to) determine what he wants to do. That's going to be his call here in the next three days. We'll see what he decides. I don't think it's a dead-lock clinch, an automatic thing that he's back in Buffalo. It's not like this clause exists and it's like, 'OK, yeah, we're fine, everything's fine and dandy and we're gonna go on.' Would it floor me if he opted out? Not at all."

"I think he's well regarded and well-respected in league circles. And again, we see the openings that exist right now: We have openings in Atlanta, we openings in Chicago, we have openings with the Jets, we may have an opening with Oakland, and there may be more. So if you think that Doug Marrone wouldn't be in serious play for one of those jobs, I think that would be a mistake."
Yeah. All he's basically saying is that he wouldn't be shocked if Marrone chose to opt out. That's it.

jimmifli
12-31-2014, 12:44 PM
That's just a bizarre thing to say. He had an unnoteworthy career as an NFL OC, an unnoteworthy career in college, and now two years of unnoteworthy coaching.

What has he done that would inspire such enthusiasm? I don't understand how he became discussed as a "hot commodity", I don't believe he ever was or is now. It's just really weird.