PDA

View Full Version : Schwartz is the best coach we have

Skooby
12-29-2014, 06:14 PM
I'd prefer if Doug opted out because Schwartz's unit performed quite well & would stay intact. That way we get to keep our really good D & make needed changes on the offense. The O-line is supposed to be Doug's specialty as well, I'd call that a fail big time including no 100 yard rushers this season.

How many teams go 9-7 & don't have a 100 yard rusher ?? A team with a great defense. Opt out Doug, it'll spare you the termination embarrassment.

YardRat
12-29-2014, 06:33 PM
I'd be OK if he opted out.

BuffaloRedleg
12-29-2014, 06:34 PM
I love how Marrone get's all the blame for the offense, but not of the blame for the defense.

He had fantastic defenses 2 years in a row with 2 different coordinators.

I'm not saying he is not to blame for the offense, but he is just as much to blame for the defense.

YardRat
12-29-2014, 06:41 PM
I love how Marrone get's all the blame for the offense, but not of the blame for the defense.

I'm not saying he is not to blame for the offense, but he is just as much to blame for the defense.

He hired college professors for DC's, and a kindergartner for the offense. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the disparity between the two units is at least largely due to coaching.

Uncle Jesse
12-29-2014, 07:26 PM
It doesn't take a genius to figure out the disparity between the two units is at least largely due to coaching.

I couldn't disagree more wit this.

The largest disparity between the two units is TALENT. This is blatantly clear. I mean look at the guys on the D-Line...that alone is the core of how great our D is. Good LBs a few good guys in the secondary...

Then the offense. Yikes. No talent at the most important spot, a horrendous line with guys like Pears (who will be lucky to be the in league next year) and a depth guy like Urbik on the inside, and a 7th rounder at RT. 1 TE who is NFL worthy and should be a #2 guy. WR you have Watkins yes, then Woods who is solid, but after that, nothing really.

I would bet if you bring in the top defense coord ever, and the top OC ever, to this team, the defense would still be ranked way above this offense with the talent gap between the two units.

I don't even know what Hackett could really do as a OC, when he has no running game to use AT ALL. A backup QB as a starter. I mean, come on. The team was one dimensional (passing only) with a guy not cut out to do it anymore, and no time to even throw the ball.

Skooby
12-29-2014, 07:32 PM
I couldn't disagree more wit this.

The largest disparity between the two units is TALENT. This is blatantly clear. I mean look at the guys on the D-Line...that alone is the core of how great our D is. Good LBs a few good guys in the secondary...

Then the offense. Yikes. No talent at the most important spot, a horrendous line with guys like Pears (who will be lucky to be the in league next year) and a depth guy like Urbik on the inside, and a 7th rounder at RT. 1 TE who is NFL worthy and should be a #2 guy. WR you have Watkins yes, then Woods who is solid, but after that, nothing really.

I would bet if you bring in the top defense coord ever, and the top OC ever, to this team, the defense would still be ranked way above this offense with the talent gap between the two units.

I don't even know what Hackett could really do as a OC, when he has no running game to use AT ALL. A backup QB as a starter. I mean, come on. The team was one dimensional (passing only) with a guy not cut out to do it anymore, and no time to even throw the ball.

I figured out like more than half the offensive plays we were calling based on formation, so I'm going to assume it's 75% or better for the opposing coaching. We could have the best offensive players out there, opposing defense knowing what plays to call lowers our odds for success.

Skooby
12-29-2014, 07:34 PM
He hired college professors for DC's, and a kindergartner for the offense. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the disparity between the two units is at least largely due to coaching.

Hackett looked like a bad college coach at best trying to call plays. Defending him or the ignorance that was witnessed is really sad.

Uncle Jesse
12-29-2014, 07:43 PM
I figured out like more than half the offensive plays we were calling based on formation, so I'm going to assume it's 75% or better for the opposing coaching. We could have the best offensive players out there, opposing defense knowing what plays to call lowers our odds for success.

Right, I mean you have unlimited options and things you can do when you literally can't run the football, and have a QB who was on the verge of retirement after being a journeymen QB. I can't believe he wasn't getting fancy and pulling out all the stops with this fantastic group! If we had the best offensive players out there....the play calling just might be a tad different, ya think???

LOL...what do you honestly expect? What would you have done? When you're one dimensional, and have a guy like Orton...good luck with any play you call, ran from any formation. I mean honestly, would do you expect/want with this group? Please elaborate.

Skooby
12-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Right, I mean you have unlimited options and things you can do when you literally can't run the football, and have a QB who was on the verge of retirement after being a journeymen QB. I can't believe he wasn't getting fancy and pulling out all the stops with this fantastic group! If we had the best offensive players out there....the play calling just might be a tad different, ya think???

LOL...what do you honestly expect? What would you have done? When you're one dimensional, and have a guy like Orton...good luck with any play you call, ran from any formation. I mean honestly, would do you expect/want with this group? Please elaborate.

The screens / delayed draws could of been much more creative. How about a quick hook route in the middle of the field, see many that didn't go to the sideline ? How about a non-blocking RB going out for a safety valve pass ?

We missed all kinds of opportunities to score, brutal time in the red zones and all the above scenarios would of been useful.

Uncle Jesse
12-29-2014, 07:55 PM
The screens / delayed draws could of been much more creative. How about a quick hook route in the middle of the field, see many that didn't go to the sideline ? How about a non-blocking RB going out for a safety valve pass ?

We missed all kinds of opportunities to score, brutal time in the red zones and all the above scenarios would of been useful.

Running any types of screens never seemed to work because our line was so big and slow. Guys like Pears could never get out and block. I think the middle of the field was taken away shortly after Orton took over as QB as he, like Fitz, had good luck at hitting guys there and was a strength for him. Then he was forced to make the deep or outside throws more, because that's all he was given.

I'm not even defending Hackett really. I couldn't care less if he stays or goes. My whole point is, I don't think it's gonna matter one bit who the OC is, until our major issues, the line and QB are fixed. Whoever has the job is SEVERELY limited and will certainly struggle.

Meathead
12-29-2014, 07:58 PM
shouldnt blame really go to marrone tho? i personally dont see hackett as a real oc, its like curtis modkins was chans oc. hacketts more of the oc assistant. so thats marrones mistake if it is anybodys. similar to the mistake of not adding a qb coach the moment they knew they were drafting a rookie. like wtf?!?

but for whatever reason it took so long, marrone did respond by hiring both a qb coach and a former oc direct assistant to him. not that it appeared to do a ѕhitload of good but at least he gets credit for making the moves

if theres a reason to be relieved marrone might not remain the coach it would be right there imo. i feel hes done enough overall to warrant another season but yeah the offensive ineptitude started with marrone

justasportsfan
12-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Marrone gets credit for the st, D and O. He's the head coach. Nuff said

BuffaloRedleg
12-29-2014, 08:46 PM

So he doesn't deserve credit for bringing in Schwartz, but deserves all the credit for bringing in the OC.

That is precisely what I'm talking about.

BuffaloRedleg
12-29-2014, 08:47 PM
shouldnt blame really go to marrone tho? i personally dont see hackett as a real oc, its like curtis modkins was chans oc. hacketts more of the oc assistant. so thats marrones mistake if it is anybodys. similar to the mistake of not adding a qb coach the moment they knew they were drafting a rookie. like wtf?!?

but for whatever reason it took so long, marrone did respond by hiring both a qb coach and a former oc direct assistant to him. not that it appeared to do a ѕhitload of good but at least he gets credit for making the moves

if theres a reason to be relieved marrone might not remain the coach it would be right there imo. i feel hes done enough overall to warrant another season but yeah the offensive ineptitude started with marrone

That is a lot of speculation. I think people tend to fit the story to the conclusion rather than the other way around.

He is a horrendous offensive coach btw, so it's not like he gets a pass.

imbondz
12-29-2014, 08:49 PM

great point!

Skooby
12-30-2014, 06:35 AM
That is a lot of speculation. I think people tend to fit the story to the conclusion rather than the other way around.

He is a horrendous offensive coach btw, so it's not like he gets a pass.

We didn't have a 100 yard rusher in a game this season, that's cause for alarm.