PDA

View Full Version : back to the red standing buffalo logo?

DetDannyWilliams
12-29-2014, 08:43 PM
WKBW's Sports Director Shawn Stepner reported tonight on the 6 o'clock news tonight on sports that the Pegula's COULD BE changing the Bills logo back to the red standing buffalo, remember the first thing Terry Pegula did when he bought the Sabres was rid of what Sabres fans were calling the "slug" he brought back to the Sabres original logo with the blue circle with the white buffalo and the crossed sabres inside of it. The Pegula's are traditionalists.

Joe Fo Sho
12-29-2014, 08:45 PM
I love that damned standing buffalo.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-29-2014, 09:30 PM
They could run with it any time they want. We are one of the few teams that can still do throwback unis because our main helmets are the same color.

Oaf
12-29-2014, 09:54 PM
I love the blue and red charger, with standing as the throwback.

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2014, 12:50 AM
I'm open to him changing the unis again as well, but just slightly. Something is "off" about these - can't put my finger on it. I think it's maybe too many thin stripes (shoulders, socks, etc)? I actually like the one that Kemp is wearing in Oaf's sig. Thicker, single stripes.

swiper
12-30-2014, 02:34 AM
https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608023234711324889&pid=1.7

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/34/b0/0c/34b00cb6d5548b9ef48a9b97269557bc.jpg

http://www.itsalreadysigned4u.com/shop/media/images/product_detail/ape-montler-8x10.jpg

Meathead
12-30-2014, 04:00 AM
back when standie was the official logo ppl said they hated it bc it was too boring. now after being mothballed for a couple decades in favor of streakie ppl are saying they always preferred standie

gotta love nostalgia

Historian
12-30-2014, 04:23 AM
I believe at the time, we were the only sports franchise that had the symbol of city as the symbol of the team.

I love them both.

I wish that, for the next anniversary, we wear blue and silver throwbacks, from 1960 and 1961.

JohnnyGold
12-30-2014, 05:45 AM
I believe at the time, we were the only sports franchise that had the symbol of city as the symbol of the team.

I love them both.

I wish that, for the next anniversary, we wear blue and silver throwbacks, from 1960 and 1961.

I used to hate our modern logo, and thought that it represented everything wrong with graphic design.

But the older I've gotten, the more I've fallen in love with it.

It takes a somehwat.... boring.... animal, and manages to convey power and speed, while still being representative of the city AND perfectly incorporating our color scheme. The streaming line coming from the horn is also a perfect accessory to use as a decal around the stadium, on the helmet (the center bar expanding in width from front to back), and in other ways.

The red standing buffalo is perfect 1-2 times a year as a throwback.

- - - Updated - - -

I love them both.

I used to hate our modern logo, and thought that it represented everything wrong with graphic design.

But the older I've gotten, the more I've fallen in love with it.

It takes a somehwat.... boring.... animal, and manages to convey power and speed, while still being representative of the city AND perfectly incorporating our color scheme. The streaming line coming from the horn is also a perfect accessory to use as a decal around the stadium, on the helmet (the center bar expanding in width from front to back), and in other ways.

The red standing buffalo is perfect 1-2 times a year as a throwback.

Don't Panic
12-30-2014, 06:53 AM
Gotta be the charging Buffalo. Standing Buffalo is nostalgic and classy, but ranks last in intimidation factor.

jamze132
12-30-2014, 07:12 AM
Our uniform right now is perfect. Leave it alone.

DetDannyWilliams
12-30-2014, 09:20 AM
I grew up with the 90's Bills the SB years and I still hate the Bills logo that the Bills have now on their helmets, and what is it about the streak that starts from where the eye of the Buffalo is supposed to be and goes through the middle of the buffalo's body and out of it's butt. The Sabres have the perfect logo with streaks above and below the buffalo that makes it like it's charging. Also if the :jetsuck: can go back to the Joe Namath logo and what Kevin Arnold on the Wonder Years had on his jacket why can't the Bills go back to the red standing buffalo logo.

Dr. Who
12-30-2014, 09:20 AM
I like the current uniforms a lot and I'd be perfectly fine with staying with them.
I love the throwbacks better and I think the standing buffalo has more class, so that's my preference.

Dr. Who
12-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Gotta be the charging Buffalo. Standing Buffalo is nostalgic and classy, but ranks last in intimidation factor.

Intimidation is all a function of the players wearing the uniform.

BertSquirtgum
12-30-2014, 09:26 AM
No way. The rushing buffalo is so much better.

Dude
12-30-2014, 09:32 AM
Get OJ out of the CA penal league while you're at it. Let's get the band back together!

Don't Panic
12-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Intimidation is all a function of the players wearing the uniform.

True, but you might as well start with something that doesn't look like a statue at a museum.

sukie
12-30-2014, 10:08 AM
True, but you might as well start with something that doesn't look like a statue at a museum.

Like a stationary horseshoe or an evil earth shaking "G"? God... the fear a steel industry logo instills... Or is it the blank side that is intimidating?

Joe Fo Sho
12-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Like a stationary horseshoe or an evil earth shaking "G"? God... the fear a steel industry logo instills... Or is it the blank side that is intimidating?

If you're not intimidated by a dolphin jumping out of the water in front of the sun, then you're made of stone.

sukie
12-30-2014, 10:26 AM
A helmet with the name of a collection of alcoholic smelly earth diggers with long beards and dishpan hands is intimidation.

How about a logo that looks like John Kerry wearing a Paul Revere hat?

sukie
12-30-2014, 10:29 AM

I love them both.

I think the NY on Giants helmets was the symbol of the city...

better days
12-30-2014, 10:43 AM
I think the NY on Giants helmets was the symbol of the city...

Well, I don't think initials are a symbol.

And the Giants still have NY on the helmet & they are no longer a NY team.

They should put NJ on the helmet or go back to GIANTS on the helmet.

sukie
12-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Well, I don't think initials are a symbol.

And the Giants still have NY on the helmet & they are no longer a NY team.

They should put NJ on the helmet or go back to GIANTS on the helmet.
Not gonna split hairs... Not many cities are named after animals. AND Buffalo was originally named Buffalo Creek by the invaders with white skin.

The King
12-30-2014, 10:57 AM
The charging Buffalo is a perfect example of getting it right. It's timeless, unlike the newer logos, Broncos, Eagles, Falcons, Panthers etc… The charging Buffalo works as well now as it did when it was introduced… that's very different from the position the Sabres where in.

Like many mentioned we can use either whenever we want so we have the best of both worlds.

better days
12-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Not gonna split hairs... Not many cities are named after animals. AND Buffalo was originally named Buffalo Creek by the invaders with white skin.

There is a theory that Buffalo was named Beau Fluve or Beautiful River by the French which became Buffalo over time.

Dr. Who
12-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Man, I get sick of the bias against the invaders with white skin . . . just channeling Meathead:smile:

Night Train
12-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Either helmet is fine. Just keep the current uniforms, which are fantastic.

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2014, 01:12 PM
What year was this? It seems like this is the only shot I can find with this stripe configuration (which as I mentioned I love)

better days
12-30-2014, 01:18 PM
What year was this? It seems like this is the only shot I can find with this stripe configuration (which as I mentioned I love)

Has to be the EARLY 60's, looks like the Chargers they are playing against,

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2014, 01:46 PM
If that's the case, and since Terry is a traditionalist, it would be awesome if he went this route.

BillsFanCupp38
12-30-2014, 01:56 PM
This would be a huge disappointment for me. Ive been begging to see some kind of throw back or permanent uniform that resembled our championship years of the 90's. It wasn't broke back then I don't know why they thought they had to fix it...

Dr. Who
12-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Well, if you want to go by actual championships, the Bills were AFL champs in 1964 and 1965 with the classic standing buffalo.

WagonCircler
12-30-2014, 03:32 PM

That's a 1963 uniform. My favorite ever (but I like the blue jerseys better). That picture is colorized from a black and white photo.

WagonCircler
12-30-2014, 03:35 PM

WagonCircler
12-30-2014, 03:36 PM
17229Here's a color photo.

Famous Amos
12-30-2014, 04:02 PM

New Amsterdam

WagonCircler
12-30-2014, 04:55 PM
New Amsterdam

It's "The Wire" marathon week on HBO.

New Hamsterdam.

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2014, 05:00 PM
17229Here's a color photo.

Like the jersey...would make the stripe on the legs wider though to update it to a more modern look. I guess it boils down to just having too many horizontal stripes on the current unis (for me) I like both standing and charging buffalos though.

Gotta love that single bar grill he's got going on. Don't think there's too many QBs today that would dare wearing that thing. ;)

OpIv37
12-30-2014, 05:22 PM
The Sabres were in a completely different situation when Pegula bought the team. No one really liked the Slug Sabres logo, but people bought it up like crazy when they ditched that 90's black and red and went back to the original colors, mainly because the team was playing so well. Once the team cooled off, no one wanted that ****ty logo.

Meanwhile, the current Stripey logo still works. I always liked it because I think it looks modern without trying too hard to be modern, like the Titans, Oregon Ducks, Sabres' Slug, etc.

I hope they don't change it. I'm happy with Stripey as the everyday logo and the standing Buffalo as the throwback.

BillsFanCupp38
12-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Well, if you want to go by actual championships, the Bills were AFL champs in 1964 and 1965 with the classic standing buffalo.

AFC Champions... Greatest dynasty to never win a Super Bowl.

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2014, 06:45 PM

One reason that I wouldn't want to go back to those unis. Not because they were ugly, but because it's too painful.

Yasgur's Farm
12-30-2014, 07:08 PM
How about the effeminate patriot squatting to pee logo?

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2014, 07:34 PM
:monkeyp:Pats

swiper
12-31-2014, 04:53 AM

http://www.mapkernow.com/nfl-football-helmets/dallas-cowboys-authentic-pro-line-revolution-full-size-riddell-helmet.jpg http://helmet-decals.com/images/SanFransiscoSP.png http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oRer01O61EU/TaTBBoCPGuI/AAAAAAAACyw/JFGrSeox9YU/s1600/browns_helmet.png http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Steelers-Helmet.jpg http://product.images.mountedmemories.com/33-32/33-32482-Y.jpg

Sammy Avalon
12-31-2014, 06:35 AM
What about a redesign of the charging cockroach? I would like to keep the standing Buffalo as a throwback and a renewed logo as a symbol for a the new post Ralph era coming of age.

Meathead
12-31-2014, 08:31 AM
A helmet with the name of a collection of alcoholic smelly earth diggers with long beards and dishpan hands is intimidation.

minercist

better days
12-31-2014, 08:44 AM
How about the effeminate patriot squatting to pee logo?

As a Bucs fan, I can say without fear of being wrong no NFL logo was more effeminate than Bucco Bruce.

I thank God the Bucs won the Super Bowl in a Cool looking uniform & not the old Bucco Bruce creamsicles.

WagonCircler
12-31-2014, 12:11 PM
I love both logos. I just think the red one is a little more genuine. Like the back of a Buffalo nickel. It's classic and chiseled.

Streaky is a little more cartoony. Still, very nice, and not "cutesy" like many contemporary logos.

I just think the 60s Bills uniforms are every bit as classic and iconic as any in sports. To me, they're perfect. And a couple years ago, when they wore them as throwbacks, they were beyond perfect. They got it just right.

Frank Stallone
12-31-2014, 12:28 PM
The red helmet of the '80s & '90s was the greatest helmet that was or ever will be.

Dr. Who
12-31-2014, 12:59 PM

Yeah, but before the merger, if you were AFL champs, you were champions of a league, not a conference.

WagonCircler
12-31-2014, 01:19 PM
The perfect NFL uniform:

http://us.cdn001.fansshare.com/photos/fredjackson/fred-jackson-san-francisco-ers-buffalo-fcmjx-safox-728233646.jpg[/QUOTE]

starrymessenger
12-31-2014, 01:44 PM
I don't find the charging buffalo that intimidating, especially given related on field performance.
The red standing buffalo is the coolest logo in the sport IMO.
Unfortunately not very well represented in the Bills store.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't find the charging buffalo that intimidating, especially given related on field performance.
The red standing buffalo is the coolest logo in the sport IMO.
Unfortunately not very well represented in the Bills store.

Dr. Who
12-31-2014, 03:17 PM
The perfect NFL uniform:

http://us.cdn001.fansshare.com/photos/fredjackson/fred-jackson-san-francisco-ers-buffalo-fcmjx-safox-728233646.jpg[/QUOTE]

If Swiper and I are agreeing, it's got to be true.