X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Think bigger?

We have been looking hard at trying to revive the careers of bums like Sanchez, maybe we should aim our sights higher?

How about Drew Brees?

Now, before you think "They'd never trade him" consider this: The GM leveraged the team against Drew this last year, trying to fit several other additions (including You Know Who) to make a run in a historically weak NFC South. They failed (obviously). Now they are holding some serious cap hits and the largest of all is for Drew, who is about to turn 36. He will account for a whopping $26.4 million of their cap in 2015 and $27.4 in 2016. Obviously staggering numbers.
    A current summary of New Orleans Saints 2024 player cap & cash figures.

However, if he comes off their books, he'd account for 14.8 million in dead money for 2015. A bitter pill to swallow indeed, but it's only for one year. Teams have survived worse. We ate over twice that this year alone.

Meanwhile, we would inherit his contract without the signing bonus, as we did with Mike Williams. For us, Brees would count for $19 million in 2015 and $20 million in 2016. 2 years, 39 million is not chump change, but people were making serious claims that we should take on Jay Cutler at 2 for 31.5 million.

There's also the fact that Marrone coached Brees during Marrone's most successful years, and if he thinks he is on the hot seat, who would he rather stake his career on?

There was talk already this season that New Orleans was looking to draft his replacement: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-drew-brees/

At #13 they likely have no shot at either of the assumed top 2 guys, but with our picks added, they have a reasonable chance at a package for Jax's #3 pick and possibly Winston.

I think a deal can be struck. I think our 2nd and 3rd this year as well as our 2nd next year which could conditionally become a 1st, could do it. Would you push those chips to the center?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Think bigger?

He'd get killed behind our oline.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      Yes, well this does require some of our OL pickups to improve between seasons *dagger eyes at Kujo*

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
        • Aug 2013

I've thought about that as well. I'm not really confident in his abilities outside of a dome, but he's far and beyond better than anything we'd have a shot at getting.

That would be unreal.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          Why do people keep saying this like it is a surprise?

Every single QB in the league would get killed behind this O-Line.

The assumption is that we will improve that next year in addition to getting a QB. We shouldn't have to restate it every time as I think it is pretty obvious.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
            Why do people keep saying this like it is a surprise?

Every single QB in the league would get killed behind this O-Line.

The assumption is that we will improve that next year in addition to getting a QB. We shouldn't have to restate it every time as I think it is pretty obvious.
            When you're talking about bringing in an 18.75 million dollar contract for next season then yes it does need to be restated. As of right now we are projected to have about $27 million via Sportac. You add Brees that number goes down to below $10 million.

So no its not just an assumption that we will improve it. Not in this scenario with under $10 million to spend not counting rookies, resigning Hughes, or redoing Dareus or Spiller. Also don't forget about Gilmore.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
              When you're talking about bringing in an 18.75 million dollar contract for next season then yes it does need to be restated. As of right now we are projected to have about $27 million via Sportac. You add Brees that number goes down to below $10 million.

So no its not just an assumption that we will improve it. Not in this scenario with under $10 million to spend not counting rookies, resigning Hughes, or redoing Dareus or Spiller. Also don't forget about Gilmore.
              No, but I'm suggesting we upgrade from EJ Manuel to (depending on who you ask) the 4th to 7th best QB in football. That will not come without cost, and I recognize that Spiller and probably Hughes would both be sacrifices.

But short of a massive leap from Manuel or a Wilson-esque draft steal, I'm not seeing how we'll get a notable improvement at the QB position over what we had last year without making a bold move.

FWIW, the rookie reserve barely matters in my scenario. As it stands we are already down our 1st, and I don't see any way this trade happens without at least including our 2nd. Our entire draft class next year wouldn't move the needle.

Also there are some veteran cuts that we would consider making if money become an issue. Fred Jackson ($2.6 million) and Manny Lawson ($2.6 million saved) jump right off the page.
              Last edited by IlluminatusUIUC; 12-29-2014, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                No, but I'm suggesting we upgrade from EJ Manuel to (depending on who you ask) the 4th to 7th best QB in football. That will not come without cost, and I recognize that Spiller and probably Hughes would both be sacrifices.

But short of a massive leap from Manuel or a Wilson-esque draft steal, I'm not seeing how we'll get a notable improvement at the QB position over what we had last year without making a bold move.
                While I would have zero issue bringing in Brees and think his quick release would be ideal for our swiss cheese OL, I don't believe the Bills will make a notable move at the QB position. I think you're going to see Manuel, Tuel, some mid-level (at best) veteran, and a mid-round draft pick as the four camp QB's next year.

Love to have Brees, just don't see it.

Also taking Brees handcuffs on other moves, not just Hughes and Spiller. Still gotta find money for Dareus and Gilmore both of whom you absolutely have to resign.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• Lexwhat
                  • Feb 2005

I am not worried about our own Salary Cap -- players can always be restructured, and our salary cap gurus (I use that term lightly) can manage to work it out.

However, I highly doubt Brees is going anywhere. As long as Sean Payton and Brees are together, they can regroup and come back stronger next year. "Looking for a replacement" in the draft is not the same actually having a replacement. No rookie QB is going to come in with the same skill set and talent level as Drew Brees. Let's re-visit this idea next year about Brees leaving New Orleans.

I think the only player on the Saints offense who is gone is Marques Colston. Unless he takes a pay cut, he is not worth the amount he is earning.

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

I think getting Matt Schaub is much more attainable. He's better than any of the other garbage out there.

Complete career NFL stats for Atlanta Falcons Quarterback Matt Schaub on ESPN. Includes scoring, rushing, defensive and receiving stats.

His floor is Kyle Orton's ceiling.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I'm pretty confident that banking multiple draft picks and cap space/annual salaries for a contract that severely restricts upgrading the offensive line, re-signing some of our own players this off-season, and jeopardizes signing even more young players another season down the road is the quickest route to failure.

Face it...without a Brady-like leap from Tuel (which IMO isn't going to happen) there is nothing significant the team can do to upgrade the QB position this off-season, so everybody might as well accept that right now and concentrate on other area's of the team that can be fixed, that does have talent available without mortgaging the future.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

I don't trust Hackett and Marrone to create an offensive scheme worthy of Brees.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                          I don't trust Hackett and Marrone to create an offensive scheme worthy of Brees.
                          If they brought in Brees (massive if) then Marrone has already worked with him in New Orleans under Payton. He wasn't the primary play caller but he was the OC and worked directly with Brees.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                            I've thought about that as well. I'm not really confident in his abilities outside of a dome, but he's far and beyond better than anything we'd have a shot at getting.

That would be unreal.
                            Brees is good in a dome or warm weather. We know that.

But I doubt he has played a dozen games in COLD WINDY weather.

The question is can he handle the elements?

As for the OL, Brees would make the OL look MUCH better than Orton did.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                              • Sep 2004

With our QB situation currently, and what it's been for 15 years, and people are scoffing at Drew Brees, like he isn't good enough for us? I've seen it all.

Comment

Working...
                              X