PDA

View Full Version : Jets called Rex's agent ... the same agent for Marrone and Schwarz

ghz in pittsburgh
12-30-2014, 04:40 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24919657/report-jets-called-rex-ryans-agent-to-inquire-about-another-coach

Of course Marrone is not opted out yet, so Jets are asking about Schwarz or others.:boring:

Ingtar33
12-30-2014, 04:44 PM
they're asking after schwartz. guaranteed.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Wonder why they haven't asked for permission from the Bills yet.

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2014, 04:56 PM

Do we have anything in place as far as a contract goes with schwartz with respect to "rights", like a FA? Never really thought about that before.. I'm sure answer is no, but in fantasy land if we could get the Jets #1 for Schwartz, would you do it? ;)

The Jokeman
12-30-2014, 04:58 PM

Did you read his list of clients? There are quite a few bigger names than Schwartz on that list. Jimbo Fisher's name raised my eyebrow because of the possibility of a Winston reunion depending on the draft as did Lane Kiffen since he's one of those names that seems to be thrown in as one of the stronger offensive minded guys.

cookie G
12-30-2014, 05:00 PM

Or they're begging for Nick Saban..

But Schwartz is the most likely.

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2014, 05:07 PM
I'd also be curious if Rex is thinking about coming here...if they have the same agent (Moron and Rex) then he's (agent) probably licking his chops at a multi pronged deal. I prefer Rex over Moron, BUT, given how the offense was in NY, I'm not sure he's the right guy.

cookie G
12-30-2014, 05:12 PM
I'd also be curious if Rex is thinking about coming here...if they have the same agent (Moron and Rex) then he's (agent) probably licking his chops at a multi pronged deal. I prefer Rex over Moron, BUT, given how the offense was in NY, I'm not sure he's the right guy.

Rex and Chicago are the perfect fit. They lost their identity as Monsters of the Midway under Trestman, (and got very old, very quickly).

His father enjoys legendary status there...he's shown himself the ability to build a kick ass defense...I can't think of a better place for him to go.

OpIv37
12-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Do we have anything in place as far as a contract goes with schwartz with respect to "rights", like a FA? Never really thought about that before.. I'm sure answer is no, but in fantasy land if we could get the Jets #1 for Schwartz, would you do it? ;)

Generally speaking, coaches can't violate their contracts to take a lateral move or demotion, but can get out of them if they are offered a promotion from another team. There is nothing we can do to keep him if someone offers him an HC job.

But, in fantasy land, I'd give up Schwartz for the Jets #1. If we had our own #1 this year, I probably wouldn't just for consistency. If Schwartz leaves this year, it will be the 4th D coordinator in 4 years. That has to be hard on the players.

Ingtar33
12-30-2014, 05:17 PM

They don't need to compensate the bills anything. leaving a team at will and getting hired for a "higher" position then your current one is completely allowed for nfl coaches, the only thing Schwartz can't do is leave the bills DC position for the Jets DC position. in that case the jets would have to trade for him, or he'd have to resign first. But in a promotion from DC to HC? the jets don't owe us a thing.

Did you read his list of clients? There are quite a few bigger names than Schwartz on that list. Jimbo Fisher's name raised my eyebrow because of the possibility of a Winston reunion depending on the draft as did Lane Kiffen since he's one of those names that seems to be thrown in as one of the stronger offensive minded guys.

Fisher isn't leaving FSU, and Winston won't be a Jet.

The Jokeman
12-30-2014, 05:18 PM

Why would an agent have want Rex and Marrone here as it mean one of them isn't getting HC money and most likely Rex will make far more money being a DC and I can't see us naming Marrone OC if we did nab Rex as our HC. I think Rex ends up in Atlanta as they have an offense that has one of the best passing games in the league so all he has to do is build up their D and find them a running game which are two things he has shown he can somewhat do. As according to http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/atlanta-falcons/ the Falcons are about $27m under the predicted $142m cap. As looking over their roster it isn't far fetched seeing Rex going down there shifting them to a 3-4 team and bringing them Kenrick Ellis at NT David Harris at LB and maybe signing a guy like Stevan Ridley to feed the ball and see them a playoff contender again in that weak division.

YardRat
12-30-2014, 05:18 PM
When has anybody ever given up a draft pick to pry a coordinator from a team to become their HC?

The Jokeman
12-30-2014, 05:22 PM
They don't need to compensate the bills anything. leaving a team at will and getting hired for a "higher" position then your current one is completely allowed for nfl coaches, the only thing Schwartz can't do is leave the bills DC position for the Jets DC position. in that case the jets would have to trade for him, or he'd have to resign first. But in a promotion from DC to HC? the jets don't owe us a thing.

Fisher isn't leaving FSU, and Winston won't be a Jet.

If Fisher wins a second national title this year what else would he want to do at FSU? I never expected Spurrier to leave Florida or Nick Saban to leave LSU but money and the chance to show that you can coach in the NCAA and NFL made like guys like Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh and Chip Kelly jump ship too.

The Jokeman
12-30-2014, 05:25 PM
When has anybody ever given up a draft pick to pry a coordinator from a team to become their HC?

The Patriots sent the 16th overall pick in the 2000 draft and fourth- and seventh-rounders in 2001 to the Jets for the rights to Belichick, a 2001 fifth-rounder, and a 2002 seventh-rounder from the Jets. Of course there's debate if Belichick was the Jets HC/DC at the time. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-trade-new-york-jets/

swiper
12-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Rex and Chicago are the perfect fit. They lost their identity as Monsters of the Midway under Trestman, (and got very old, very quickly).

His father enjoys legendary status there...he's shown himself the ability to build a kick ass defense...I can't think of a better place for him to go.

He's a better fit in ATLANTA to me. They have a lot of offensive talent that needs some balls, and they need someone to make their defense better.

GingerP
12-30-2014, 06:16 PM
The Patriots sent the 16th overall pick in the 2000 draft and fourth- and seventh-rounders in 2001 to the Jets for the rights to Belichick, a 2001 fifth-rounder, and a 2002 seventh-rounder from the Jets. Of course there's debate if Belichick was the Jets HC/DC at the time. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-trade-new-york-jets/

Belichick was elevated to Jets HC before the Pats got to interview him. The day the Pats faxed the Jets offices to request permission to interview Belichick, Parcells announced he was stepping down as coach to be GM. Belichick, by virtue of the contract he signed with Leon Hess before he died (paying him a $1M bonus and making him the highest paid assistant in the NFL to be Parcells' successor), was automatically promoted to HC. The Pats were mad because they thought Parcells did that just to keep them from getting Belichick, but there was nothing they could do about it. If Belichick hadn't become HC, there was nothing the Jets could have done to keep the Pats from hiring him.

The King
12-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Patriots for Belichick I think,

justasportsfan
12-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Doubt the jets want Schwartz as their HC. I think they're looking for an Offensive minded coach.

Ingtar33
12-30-2014, 11:13 PM

Belichick was the Jets coach. there is no debate. Parcells resigned and the Jets named him the head coach. He was their coach for like 2 days.

swiper
12-31-2014, 04:13 AM
Patriots for Belichick I think,

He was named head coach before he ran out on the Jets. They are still bitter over it.

jamze132
12-31-2014, 01:19 PM
Wonder why they haven't asked for permission from the Bills yet.

Because they are inquiring about Marrone's opt-out clause...behind the scene.

casdhf
12-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Tampering?