PDA

View Full Version : Marrone's opt out clause

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Just heard about it yesterday.

This is the final nail in the coffin for me with Marrone.

Anyone that sticks a clause in their contract giving them an out if a better job comes along is someone I don't want working for me, for obvious reasons, not the least being he's disrespecting the position.

If I hire a coach, I fully expect him to sincerely wish to be so successful, he leads the Bills to a streak of winning seasons and superbowls until he retires a legend.

Anything else, I don't want you.

I'm looking at you Doug.

Please, go get a better job...

Jaybird
12-31-2014, 06:33 AM
It's business and Personally I think it's a smart move and solid negotiations from his agent

The King
12-31-2014, 06:37 AM
Over react much?

Ralph Wilson was 400 year old when Marrone was hired, the future of the team in Jeopardy, the team could've been moved to TOR or LA. Marrone was not hired to work in either of those markets so he gave himself an out. Smart move.

The Bills are committed to Marrone, they made sure he never interviewed with another team (despite the fact the he was a top candidate in 2013). And I believe he's committed to truly turning this thing around. No worries.

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 07:20 AM
It's business and Personally I think it's a smart move and solid negotiations from his agent

Over react much?

Ralph Wilson was 400 year old when Marrone was hired, the future of the team in Jeopardy, the team could've been moved to TOR or LA. Marrone was not hired to work in either of those markets so he gave himself an out. Smart move.

The Bills are committed to Marrone, they made sure he never interviewed with another team (despite the fact the he was a top candidate in 2013). And I believe he's committed to truly turning this thing around. No worries.

Uh, are you guys Bills fans or Marrone's agents?

It's great that you think signing a pre-nup was the smart thing for him to do, seeing as how the Bills are such a pathetic orgni2ation that a first time coach can demand and receive an out clause. Keep pimping your boy. He's doing us a favor by being our coach. I pray each day he'll decide to pick us, rather than some prettier franchise.

He's just that good.

The King
12-31-2014, 07:22 AM

It's great that you think signing a pre-nup was the smart thing for him to do, seeing as how the Bills are such a pathetic orgni2ation that a first time coach can demand and receive an out clause. Keep pimping your boy. He's doing us a favor by being our coach. I pray each day he'll decide to pick us, rather than some prettier franchise.

He's just that good.

If you were to apply for a job that had a For Sale sign on the front door wouldn't you take precautions?

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 07:34 AM
If you were to apply for a job that had a For Sale sign on the front door wouldn't you take precautions?

All depends what type of precautions, but that's beside the point.

He can ask for all the protections in the world, YOU DON"T HAVE TO GIVE THEM TO HIM.

In fact, if it was me doing the hiring, I would have crossed Marrone off my list the first time I heard this request. Interview over, there's the door.

I want a coach who thinks this is the greatest gig in the world, not someone who's openly suspicious of my competence to the point that even before he's hired he's strategi2ing his departure.

That's ****ed up,.

I think it's flabbergasting that Marrone would ask for something like this and even MORE flabbergasting the team would go along with it.

But, I guess with Brandon and Marrone Syracuse butt-buddies, they look out for each other first, THEN the team...

Don't Panic
12-31-2014, 07:49 AM

He's just that good.

Marrone was a commodity when we got him (as he is now). It was smart business of his agent to leverage in a clause like this just in case he didn't like the direction of the franchise post-sale. This isn't about taking his side, its about what makes sense. And it doesn't mean he's not committed... in fact, if he doesn't opt out, it speaks to just how committed he is.

coastal
12-31-2014, 07:51 AM
I want a coach who thinks this is the greatest gig in the worldlets be honest here. he was interviewing for Ralph Wilson's Buffalo Bills... the league joke of dysfunctional organizations.

Why does someone looking out for their own career path interest equate to him being a traitor before he even gets started? Not to mention... this is the NFL... about as cut throat of a business as there is.

That's ****ed upnot really.

its just smart and of little consequence to be honest. We're talking about a 3 day out in case things got entirely squirrely after the sale of the team.

I think it's flabbergasting that Marrone would ask for something like this and even MORE flabbergasting the team would go along with it.flabbergasted?

lol.

are u also verklempt?

But, I guess with Brandon and Marrone Syracuse butt-buddies, they look out for each other first, THEN the team...Brandon fits that mold. I see nothing in Marrone's behavior that suggests he isn't completed interested in the team.

Quite the opposite actually... chastising his bosses openly during training camp for not giving them the tools to be successful, benching his bosses golden boy QB, benching M Williams, not putting up with Jerry Hughes and whatever shenanigans he was pulling.

he was put into a no-win situation in many respects and delivered a winning season.

give him his guards and get a functional QB plan before the first offseason OTA... and let's see what everyone thinks of him then.

justasportsfan
12-31-2014, 08:19 AM

Anyone that sticks a clause in their contract giving them an out if a better job comes along is someone I don't want working for me, for obvious reasons, not the least being he's disrespecting the position.

If I hire a coach, I fully expect him to sincerely wish to be so successful, he leads the Bills to a streak of winning seasons and superbowls until he retires a legend.

I'm looking at you Doug.

Then you'd be a crappy agent. The Out Clause was put in place due to the uncertainty of the ownership or Ralph's declining health. It was a good thing to put in the contract.

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 08:40 AM
Marrone was a commodity when we got him (as he is now). It was smart business of his agent to leverage in a clause like this just in case he didn't like the direction of the franchise post-sale. This isn't about taking his side, its about what makes sense. And it doesn't mean he's not committed... in fact, if he doesn't opt out, it speaks to just how committed he is.

Marrone isn't now, and never was, a commodity. I'd never even heard of him.

But if he IS such a ****ing commodity, I guess he's sorting through all those HC/GM/TeamPres job offers he's swamped with.

I mean, after all, anybody who watched the Bills this years could HELP but be overwhelmed by the margin with which we outcoached other teams!

As for this - "in fact, if he doesn't opt out, it speaks to just how committed he is. " - you sound like the doormat in an abusive relationship. The fact he hasn't walked out on you proves how much he loves you, especially when he made plans to do exactly that thing.

Pathetic. Just like Groucho's line about not wanting to belong to a club that would have him as a member, you don't want a coach that would want to be our coach and you fully understand their desire to get the **** out of here if something better comes along.

Sorry, but I'm a Bills fan, not a wannabe sports agent.

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Then you'd be a crappy agent. The Out Clause was put in place due to the uncertainty of the ownership or Ralph's declining health. It was a good thing to put in the contract.

I DON'T WANT TO BE Marrone's agent. What's so hard to understand?

I don't CARE about what's in Marrone's best interests.

The King
12-31-2014, 08:45 AM
I DON'T WANT TO BE Marrone's agent. What's so hard to understand?

I don't CARE about what's in Marrone's best interests.

Why is hard to understand that Marrone's agent does?

Meathead
12-31-2014, 08:48 AM
somebody poop in your cheerios shiva? pretty cranky lately

how they hell were they going to get a good coach in here without an opt out clause when the owner was too frail to even make public appearances? it was a good, necessary, and fair move imo

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 09:14 AM
lets be honest here. he was interviewing for Ralph Wilson's Buffalo Bills... the league joke of dysfunctional organizations.

Oh, he was doing us a favor? Now we have to grovel in front of HC candidates?

Why does someone looking out for their own career path interest equate to him being a traitor before he even gets started? Not to mention... this is the NFL... about as cut throat of a business as there is.

"They (the NFL) do it too!". You know what I think about that.

And a potential hire can look out for his own interests in any way he can. It's a free country. And all the players can look out for their own interests. And the coaches. And the trainers and the GM and the scouts. And the owner. It's a perfect Randian utopia. Everyone looks out strictly for their own interests and success is bound to follow. It's so obvious.

not really.

its just smart and of little consequence to be honest. We're talking about a 3 day out in case things got entirely squirrely after the sale of the team.

Yes, really. It's disrespectful and insulting. Marrone gets a contract like anyone else. If they want to fire him, they pay him off and go with someone else. But they don't put something in the contract that says it's okay for him to actively consider leaving from the word go. That's admitting you're a loser.

flabbergasted?

lol.

You would have preferred hornswaggled?

are u also verklempt?

Oy gevalt!

Brandon fits that mold. I see nothing in Marrone's behavior that suggests he isn't completed interested in the team.

I do. That's what this opt-out clause is. Problem is, no one's been impressed with the job Marrone's done, so his agent's fantasy of Marrone leveraging two years in Buffalo into a job with a GOOD team has gone in the crapper.

Quite the opposite actually... chastising his bosses openly during training camp for not giving them the tools to be successful, benching his bosses golden boy QB, benching M Williams, not putting up with Jerry Hughes and whatever shenanigans he was pulling.

Boo hoo hoo.

Complaining OPENLY about the quality of the players being provided to you is an ABSOLUTE NO NO in any organi2ation, whether it's justified or not. The players are the teams assets, and no matter what you think of them privately, publicly you don't devalue your assets. It's stupid and a CYA move.

Sorry, but I ran teams for many years and the last things I ever wanted to do was embarrass my employers and/or chew out individuals. If you know what you're doing, you fix those things before they get to that point.

A no-win situation? Give me a ****ing break. If it wasn't for Schwart2 and Orton, the Bills would have been 5 -11.

Marrone and Hackett were the WEAKEST links on the team, and it makes me furious that someone in charge of One Bills Drive would put us under the thumb of some pissant with no claim to fame of any sort.

he was put into a no-win situation in many respects and delivered a winning season.

give him his guards and get a functional QB plan before the first offseason OTA... and let's see what everyone thinks of him then.

Really? What's a functional qb plan?

And don't you find it interesting how fast Orton got outta Dodge?

I don't think he was impressed with Marrone/Hackett either...

Bill Cody
12-31-2014, 09:19 AM
All depends what type of precautions, but that's beside the point.

He can ask for all the protections in the world, YOU DON"T HAVE TO GIVE THEM TO HIM.

In fact, if it was me doing the hiring, I would have crossed Marrone off my list the first time I heard this request. Interview over, there's the door.

I want a coach who thinks this is the greatest gig in the world, not someone who's openly suspicious of my competence to the point that even before he's hired he's strategi2ing his departure.

That's ****ed up,.

I think it's flabbergasting that Marrone would ask for something like this and even MORE flabbergasting the team would go along with it.

But, I guess with Brandon and Marrone Syracuse butt-buddies, they look out for each other first, THEN the team...

Um....pretty sure this is one of your troll threads....there's literally not one soul on the planet of 3B that thinks the Bills job at the end of 2013 was the greatest gig in the world and that includes every Bills fan. The reason this clause was needed has been discussed and is pretty obvious and you are not flabbergasted...at all.

We've literally had a clown car of coaches run through here for a decade and a half, the sad thing was we didn't give opt out clauses for all of them, maybe some would have opted out and saved us all some acid reflux.

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 09:22 AM
Why is hard to understand that Marrone's agent does?

I didn't say it ****ing was, did I?

THATHURMANATOR
12-31-2014, 09:22 AM

I'm looking at you Doug.

Doesn't matter to me at all.

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 09:23 AM
how they hell were they going to get a good coach in here without an opt out clause ....

Utterly, utterly pathetic...

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 09:27 AM
Um....pretty sure this is one of your troll threads....there's literally not one soul on the planet of 3B that thinks the Bills job at the end of 2013 was the greatest gig in the world and that includes every Bills fan. The reason this clause was needed has been discussed and is pretty obvious and you are not flabbergasted...at all.

We've literally had a clown car of coaches run through here for a decade and a half, the sad thing was we didn't give opt out clauses for all of them, maybe some would have opted out and saved us all some acid reflux.

Pathetic and humiliating.

You don't think there are guys out there who'd give their eye teeth to be the Bills HC?

Seriously? You pride yourself on being a big loser?

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Doesn't matter to me at all.

So what? Since when did things have to matter to you to qualify as valuable to know?

For the life of me, I'll never figure out why people wish to register their disinterest in a subject.

As if we say "Gee2, Thurm seems to think the subject is inconsequential - maybe I should rethink my position!"

TedMock
12-31-2014, 09:37 AM
This isn't unique to Marrone. Most players have one after X years now. It happens frequently with baseball managers and players alike (they don't all exercise it, of course). Even landlords have gone that route in multi-year rentals. It's almost standard procedure these days. I'm confused as to why so many are surprised. In Marrone's case it made the most sense. Dying owner, no guarantee that a new owner would be somebody he likes/respects, or that the new owner would hire a new front office, or move the team, etc. It's not a dig at the organization. I always protect myself and my family before all else in any contractual situation. I don't care about Doug or his agent, but they'd be foolish to leave that on the table given the circumstances at that time.

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 09:40 AM
This isn't unique to Marrone.

Really? Who was the last first time HC you heard of that demanded an out clause after 2 years?

Bill Cody
12-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Pathetic and humiliating.

You don't think there are guys out there who'd give their eye teeth to be the Bills HC?

Seriously? You pride yourself on being a big loser?

We're talking about the Bills here. It's not really open for debate. There may have been times when ralph wanted to go cheap but the fact is the Bills have been the least attractive landing spot for a HC in the NFL for a long time. Oakland might be close but bottom line it's been a hard sell, no one was giving any teeth to be here. Right now is the best situation we've had to offer in 15 years and we have no QB which is like selling a race car with no engine.

EricStratton
12-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Really? Who was the last first time HC you heard of that demanded an out clause after 2 years?

It was t specific to two years, it was based only on the sale of the team and the potential instability.

notacon
12-31-2014, 10:01 AM

Anyone who is honest knows that Marrone was terrible hire in the first place. Besides the fact that the Bills are averse to spending any kind of real money on coaches, they also have an aversion to hiring strong coaches.

Hiring with Mr. Wilson being so old, and the franchise's future unknown at that point, not surprised that they could not get anyone better than Marrone. He should be grateful that he even got the job.

No matter. This is one of the reasons I have been begging for PEgula to come out as a strong new owner, and set the benchmark and let the whole football world know that this is the new Bills by firing the whole GM and coaching staffs.

Instead, he's whimpering and hedging, letting those fools Marrone and Whaley give a pathetic presser.

All I can hope is that he is behind the scenes talking to some qualified GM's to take the job and reshape the Bills.

Marrone sucks. His debacle QB carousel and terrible Sammy Watkins trade proves it. Even if Whaley was the mastermind behind those moronic moves...so what? He was certainly consulted, and he was too weak to object. Or, worse yet, Whaely thought so little of him that he did not even let him know what he was doing.

Either way, it all spells Marrone as toast and not who I want to coach my team.

feldspar
12-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Here is how ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter views the situation, from his appearance Monday on Sirius XM NFL Radio with Vic Carucci and Pat Kirwan:

"Some people have suggested that he wouldn't go without having a head-coaching opportunity, to which I would say, if Doug Marrone is on the market, he doesn't have to know if there will be one: there will be one. Because when he was coming out a couple years back and interviewing along with the likes of Chip Kelly and Bill O'Brien, there were a couple of different executives that told me that they thought that Doug Marrone would be the most successful head coach of that bunch.

"If Doug Marrone were to hit the marketplace tomorrow, to me, he instantly becomes maybe the top guy on the street available for another team to hire and I think he'd get action right away. Right away.

"It's a situation where he has (to) determine what he wants to do. That's going to be his call here in the next three days. We'll see what he decides. I don't think it's a dead-lock clinch, an automatic thing that he's back in Buffalo. It's not like this clause exists and it's like, 'OK, yeah, we're fine, everything's fine and dandy and we're gonna go on.' Would it floor me if he opted out? Not at all."

"I think he's well regarded and well-respected in league circles. And again, we see the openings that exist right now: We have openings in Atlanta, we openings in Chicago, we have openings with the Jets, we may have an opening with Oakland, and there may be more. So if you think that Doug Marrone wouldn't be in serious play for one of those jobs, I think that would be a mistake."

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16672/doug-marrones-opt-out-clause-comes-into-focus

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 10:26 AM
We're talking about the Bills here. It's not really open for debate. There may have been times when ralph wanted to go cheap but the fact is the Bills have been the least attractive landing spot for a HC in the NFL for a long time.

It's the NFL.

All the jobs are attractive.

Are there some ex coaches out there who can decide where they want to go? A handful, sure. But vare there also tons of bright, innovative guys either in college, or working as coordinators who'd be happy to take this job no questions asked? Absolutely.

Do you think if they offered the job to Schwart2, he'd hum and haw about "protecting" himself before deciding? Don't think so...

The King
12-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Do you think if they offered the job to Schwart2, he'd hum and haw about "protecting" himself before deciding? Don't think so...

The situation is totally different. The team is not in a state of flux.

Jeff1220
12-31-2014, 10:32 AM
This might be the most illogical rant I've seen on this board this year...maybe longer. And that's saying something.

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 10:41 AM
The situation is totally different. The team is not in a state of flux.

OH Noe2! A STATE OF FLUX?

Honest to God, you guys love your cliches...

After all, who can argue with a state of flux?

coastal
12-31-2014, 05:16 PM
I'm flabbergasted.

I honestly don't know why I just don't listen to you from the beginning

SpikedLemonade
12-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Russ Brandon should be fired for giving that clause and guaranteed salary to Marrone.

coastal
12-31-2014, 05:28 PM
Russ Brandon should be fired for giving that clause and guaranteed salary to Marrone.
They can both go to Oakland and take Hackett with them

cookie G
12-31-2014, 05:31 PM

Or at least it should be taken out of his allowance.

YardRat
12-31-2014, 06:10 PM
I don't blame Marrone and his agent for negotiating the clause, considering the uncertainty surrounding the team it was a good move.
I don't blame Brandon for agreeing to the clause, in some form...it's a fair trade to get the guy you want, also considering the uncertainty surrounding the team.
However, if the reports are true that Marrone's subsequent year's salary is guaranteed in full no matter what happens after, that's a big FUBAR on Brandon's part. The clause should have at least been written in a manner that if future employment is obtained the salary is voided in full, or in part up to an amount that would be the equivalent of his subsequent salary less his current one.

coastal
12-31-2014, 06:13 PM
Brandon just stole $4million from the new owner with that clause.

One way or the other, Brandon is gone.

jimmifli
12-31-2014, 06:37 PM
Wait... so he quits and still gets paid?

SpikedLemonade
12-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Wait... so he quits and still gets paid?

Yup!

AND the rationalization by the homers is that Marrone was soooooooooooooooo sought after that he would not have come to Buffalo given Ralph's age.

What bull****!!!

Marrone coached a 3rd rate program in Syracuse that means nothing to anyone outside of WNY.

jimmifli
12-31-2014, 06:48 PM
No stone.

SpikedLemonade
12-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Is the UB HC available?

CleveSteve
12-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Just chiming in as an outsider to say I think what Marrone is doing is pretty crappy. Sorry guys.

Novacane
12-31-2014, 08:49 PM
Just chiming in as an outsider to say I think what Marrone is doing is pretty crappy. Sorry guys.

Don't be sorry for us. The majority here are happy!

CleveSteve
12-31-2014, 08:53 PM
Well, I guess if you know he's not the right guy... But it's going to be tough luring a good one with no answer at QB and no first round draft pick.

SpikedLemonade
12-31-2014, 08:53 PM
Well, I guess if you know he's not the right guy... But it's going to be tough luring a good one with no answer at QB and no first round draft pick.

$

IlluminatusUIUC
12-31-2014, 09:59 PM

A top 5 defense helps.

swiper
01-01-2015, 04:42 AM
LOL. Marrone is all over local news in NYC this morning. Broadcaster pronouncing his name as "Marronee." :coocoo:

sudzy
01-01-2015, 06:08 AM
Reading about all the Jets fans calling for Marrone, like he's an up grade over Rex. Both teams had horrible offenses, with good defenses. The deference is Rex knows how to coach defense and Marrone knows how to call the top defensive coordinator available. So other then delegating, what was Marrone good at. Discipline? Game management? Keeping his ego in check?

Forward_Lateral
01-01-2015, 06:11 AM
I would take Rex Ryan 100000x over Doug Marrone. Ryan isn't a quitter. He's been to two AFC title games with worse QBs than Buffalo. He knows how to make chicken salad out of chicken sheet.

swiper
01-01-2015, 08:10 AM
Ryan is a buffoon. The string of lousy defensive coordinators we've had through Buffalo between Wade Phillips and Mike Pettine really made a mark on the fans.

Ted Cottrell
Jerry Gray
Perry Fewell
Dave Wannstedt

Yuck. Puke. Spew.

Marrone is a buffoon too. Woody Johnson is the modern day Ralph Wilson.

CommissarSpartacus
01-01-2015, 10:53 AM
I don't blame Marrone and his agent for negotiating the clause...

I don't "blame" them either, just like I wouldn't "blame" them for negotiating any stupid old thing, but I would have shown them the door immediately.

I'd say "Sorry, while I can't blame you for trying to **** me in the ass, it's not my bag. Have a nice life." and forget him the moment the door closed.

Only someone colluding with Marrone would agree to this crap.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-01-2015, 10:56 AM
I don't "blame" them either, just like I wouldn't "blame" them for negotiating any stupid old thing, but I would have shown them the door immediately.

I'd say "Sorry, while I can't blame you for trying to **** me in the ass, it's not my bag. Have a nice life." and forget him the moment the door closed.

Only someone colluding with Marrone would agree to this crap.

The Opt Out I can understand given the ownership situation, but the opt out PLUS getting paid anyway was highway robbery. If that was Nix's doing, he needs another groin punch.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Ryan is a buffoon. The string of lousy defensive coordinators we've had through Buffalo between Wade Phillips and Mike Pettine really made a mark on the fans.

Ted Cottrell
Jerry Gray
Perry Fewell
Dave Wannstedt

Yuck. Puke. Spew.

Marrone is a buffoon too. Woody Johnson is the modern day Ralph Wilson.

um, you're forgetting the great and powerful george edwards

coastal
01-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Only someone colluding with Marrone would agree to this crap.this is the piece I don't see people really talking about.

brandon basically gave Marrone $4 million of the new owners money to walk away while not preventing him from working elsewhere.

thats not a "golden parachute".

That's giving your friend $4million of someone else's money for absolutely nothing.

its borderline criminal as far as I'm concerned

CommissarSpartacus
01-01-2015, 11:15 AM
I've been listening to the dough heads on the radio this morning (HI Sal!) and as usual they don't get it right away.

About Shwart2...

You either make him the HC or he's gone too. A new HC will want his own guy and twisting his arm to keep schwart2 will poison the relationship from the word go and set up a situation where they're adversaries.

Now, I don't think the team is brohen up about Marrone and Hackett leaving, but Schwart2 was ultra popular with his squad and thus the rest of the team.

If you get rid of EVERYONE, you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater and we'll be back to being a team no one wants to go to.

Players are businessmen, and as businessmen they know their value is greatest on winning teams. It's not just ego, it;s dollars.

Scrapping the ENTIRE brain trust is punshing the people who excelled at their jobs just to be seen as dealing with the people who sucked at their jobs. And no one likes to get ****ed over because the guy next to you is a ****up and the boss doesn't care to recogni2e it.

If the entire front office and coaching staff goes, we're back to a five year plan.

If we let Marrone and Hackett go, give Schwart2 the HC job, give Pepper Johnson the D and get a smart and ballsy OC i here, and, of course, a better qb or two, we're smack in the playoff race next year. Establish a culture where success and guts and smarts are rewarded, and people are promoted from within as much as possible.

Marrone, in his own bumbling way, has done us a huge favor. he's put us inn the position to fix what was wrong and also look like the good guys.

Let's not **** it up...

Downinfloflo
01-01-2015, 11:19 AM
So.........The Buffalo Bills have had 2 winning records in the last 12 years, The two head coaches that were at the helm when the Buffalo Bills had those records.

Quit and walked away from the franchise

What's up with that??

The OP is right, I would have told Marrone to get the **** out the building with that contract BS.

coastal
01-01-2015, 11:22 AM
So.........The Buffalo Bills have had 2 winning records in the last 12 years, The two head coaches that were at the helm when the Buffalo Bills had those records.

Quit and walked away from the franchise

What's up with that??

The OP is right, I would have told Marrone to get the **** out the building with that contract BS.i don't mind the out option..

But still paying him $4million for not being here? And still allowing him to work elsewhere?

this is the piece that blows my mind

CommissarSpartacus
01-01-2015, 11:32 AM
i don't mind the out option..

I do.

If he wants an out after two years, well, here's a two year contract, then we can both see if we want to proceed.

cookie G
01-01-2015, 11:37 AM
this is the piece I don't see people really talking about.

brandon basically gave Marrone $4 million of the new owners money to walk away while not preventing him from working elsewhere.

thats not a "golden parachute".

That's giving your friend $4million of someone else's money for absolutely nothing.

its borderline criminal as far as I'm concerned

No stone was left unturned.

coastal
01-01-2015, 11:38 AM
No stone was left unturned.no kidding.

i want to know what Brandon has built into his contract.

u just know it's a doozy.

cookie G
01-01-2015, 11:41 AM
I've been listening to the dough heads on the radio this morning (HI Sal!) and as usual they don't get it right away.

About Shwart2...

You either make him the HC or he's gone too. A new HC will want his own guy and twisting his arm to keep schwart2 will poison the relationship from the word go and set up a situation where they're adversaries.

I'd agree with it, and that to me is the best possible option right now, but there were "reports" that Schwartz doesn't want to be a HC again right now.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Its possible.

But Whaley, Pegula (did I spell that right?) and/or Polian need to have a sit down with him and discuss current events.

Downinfloflo
01-01-2015, 11:47 AM

But still paying him $4million for not being here? And still allowing him to work elsewhere?

I don't mind someone asking for an out option.

But I would cross those who want one off my list.

But then again, You do have to do things different when you are a small fish in a large ocean.

CommissarSpartacus
01-01-2015, 11:50 AM
I'd agree with it, and that to me is the best possible option right now, but there were "reports" that Schwartz doesn't want to be a HC again right now.

Yeah, I read about the reports too, and I think this is just a public position. The last thing Schwart2 wants to be seen as is an opportunist lobbying for Marrone's job. People would think that maybe Schwart2 was sabotaging Marrone with the players.

Now, if the Pegulas asked him nicely, for the sake of the team and the fans and all that, he might reconsider...

coastal
01-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Normally the out option... yeah go **** yourself.

a pending ownership change? The HC is far enough up the food chain in the organization to ask for some relief related to that.

thats not what Marrone got. Marrone basically got 0.4% of the Bills sale for two years of service.

his friend gave it to him.

cookie G
01-01-2015, 11:58 AM
no kidding.

i want to know what Brandon has built into his contract.

u just know it's a doozy.

His gift for making himself Ralph's adopted son.

sorry...I'm not supposed to talk bad about him.

CommissarSpartacus
01-01-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't get the pending ownership thing.

Was he afraid his checks would bounce?

Hopefully, you'd hire a coach who would be a rock, a pillar, with an impending ownership change on the hori2on.

Giving the HC an escape clause is telling him that while he's the captain, he won't be expected to go down with the ship, he'll have his own special lifeboat just for him cu2 he's so special...

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-01-2015, 12:03 PM

Hopefully, you'd hire a coach who would be a rock, a pillar, with an impending ownership change on the hori2on.

Giving the HC an escape clause is telling him that while he's the captain, he won't be expected to go down with the ship, he'll have his own special lifeboat just for him cu2 he's so special...

i understand it. (although i still hate marrone)

anytime new ownership comes, you have the chance for complete upheaval. With the impending passing of ralph wilson, there was a chance the team would be moving, etc too. I don't blame marrone for trying to get some assurances seeing the future (at the time) was not too bright in buffalo.

cookie G
01-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I read about the reports too, and I think this is just a public position. The last thing Schwart2 wants to be seen as is an opportunist lobbying for Marrone's job. People would think that maybe Schwart2 was sabotaging Marrone with the players.

Now, if the Pegulas asked him nicely, for the sake of the team and the fans and all that, he might reconsider...

That's why I put "reports" in quotes..only he can really answer the question. He might have really enjoyed the last year, not having to worry as much about other duties, and just getting to gameplan.

But yes...this complicates things.

My suspicion is that he changes his mind and becomes the new HC.

cookie G
01-01-2015, 12:09 PM

The allowing him to work elsewhere is the part that gets me.

CommissarSpartacus
01-01-2015, 12:15 PM
i understand it. (although i still hate marrone)

anytime new ownership comes, you have the chance for complete upheaval. With the impending passing of ralph wilson, there was a chance the team would be moving, etc too. I don't blame marrone for trying to get some assurances seeing the future (at the time) was not too bright in buffalo.

Nobody is BLAMING Marrone for wanting it.

What I'm saying is I wouldn't hire him if he asked for it.

C'mon, "complete upheaval" is as hyperbolic as the other over the top descriptions.

Ooooh, the franchise might move from Buffalo to LA!

There might be upheaval! And disruption! What about the children?

Bah. I'm sorry, but anyone with the chance to make $4 million a year coaching a football team DOESN'T HAVE IT ROUGH IN ANY SENSE OF THE WORD.

So, asking for an out because you're askeered of what the future might bring means your either a GIANT ****ING PUSSY, or you're a BS artist looking for something you don't deserve.

Does Marrone deserve $12 MILLION DOLLARS for two years coaching the Bills?

Maybe Russ thinks he does, but I doubt even Marrone does.

Couple of scam artists who took advantage of an old man descending into senility.

swiper
01-01-2015, 12:15 PM

Maybe yes, maybe no. Its possible.

But Whaley, Pegula (did I spell that right?) and/or Polian need to have a sit down with him and discuss current events.

Really? Hard to believe. Link?

CommissarSpartacus
01-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Really? Hard to believe. Link?

I heard them mention it on the radio.

What else is he gonna say? He doesn't want to look like he was helping grease the skids for Marrone.

feldspar
01-01-2015, 12:20 PM
I wasn't too upset when I first heard about the opt-out clause, and that's mainly because I didn't think that Marrone would exercise it. But now it's really pissing me off.

Bill Cody
01-02-2015, 08:15 AM
I wasn't too upset when I first heard about the opt-out clause, and that's mainly because I didn't think that Marrone would exercise it. But now it's really pissing me off.

I understand why folks are angry but pretend for a minute you're Marrone. That clause is the equivalent of having a home insurance company give you a free policy that says "we will pay you 4m if you light the building on fire after 2 years and such fire will not be considered arson". The Bills basically begged Marrone to opt out. Dumbest contract clause I've ever heard.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-02-2015, 12:14 PM

Not just the impending ownership change, but also the possibility of moving the franchise. Marrone didn't want to be locked into a team that was leaving for Los Angeles or Toronto or w/e. It's the buyout that baffles me.