• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CommissarSpartacus
    • Mar 2003

Marrone's opt out clause

Just heard about it yesterday.

This is the final nail in the coffin for me with Marrone.

Anyone that sticks a clause in their contract giving them an out if a better job comes along is someone I don't want working for me, for obvious reasons, not the least being he's disrespecting the position.

If I hire a coach, I fully expect him to sincerely wish to be so successful, he leads the Bills to a streak of winning seasons and superbowls until he retires a legend.

Anything else, I don't want you.

I'm looking at you Doug.

Please, go get a better job...
    My tebya razdavim
  • Jaybird
    • Dec 2005

Re: Marrone's opt out clause

It's business and Personally I think it's a smart move and solid negotiations from his agent

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Over react much?

Ralph Wilson was 400 year old when Marrone was hired, the future of the team in Jeopardy, the team could've been moved to TOR or LA. Marrone was not hired to work in either of those markets so he gave himself an out. Smart move.

The Bills are committed to Marrone, they made sure he never interviewed with another team (despite the fact the he was a top candidate in 2013). And I believe he's committed to truly turning this thing around. No worries.
      Last edited by The King; 12-31-2014, 06:39 AM.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Spartacus
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Jaybird View Post
        It's business and Personally I think it's a smart move and solid negotiations from his agent
        Originally posted by The King View Post
        Over react much?

Ralph Wilson was 400 year old when Marrone was hired, the future of the team in Jeopardy, the team could've been moved to TOR or LA. Marrone was not hired to work in either of those markets so he gave himself an out. Smart move.

The Bills are committed to Marrone, they made sure he never interviewed with another team (despite the fact the he was a top candidate in 2013). And I believe he's committed to truly turning this thing around. No worries.
        Uh, are you guys Bills fans or Marrone's agents?

It's great that you think signing a pre-nup was the smart thing for him to do, seeing as how the Bills are such a pathetic orgni2ation that a first time coach can demand and receive an out clause. Keep pimping your boy. He's doing us a favor by being our coach. I pray each day he'll decide to pick us, rather than some prettier franchise.

He's just that good.
        My tebya razdavim

Comment

• The King
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post

It's great that you think signing a pre-nup was the smart thing for him to do, seeing as how the Bills are such a pathetic orgni2ation that a first time coach can demand and receive an out clause. Keep pimping your boy. He's doing us a favor by being our coach. I pray each day he'll decide to pick us, rather than some prettier franchise.

He's just that good.
          If you were to apply for a job that had a For Sale sign on the front door wouldn't you take precautions?
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Spartacus
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by The King View Post
            If you were to apply for a job that had a For Sale sign on the front door wouldn't you take precautions?
            All depends what type of precautions, but that's beside the point.

He can ask for all the protections in the world, YOU DON"T HAVE TO GIVE THEM TO HIM.

In fact, if it was me doing the hiring, I would have crossed Marrone off my list the first time I heard this request. Interview over, there's the door.

I want a coach who thinks this is the greatest gig in the world, not someone who's openly suspicious of my competence to the point that even before he's hired he's strategi2ing his departure.

That's ****ed up,.

I think it's flabbergasting that Marrone would ask for something like this and even MORE flabbergasting the team would go along with it.

But, I guess with Brandon and Marrone Syracuse butt-buddies, they look out for each other first, THEN the team...
            Last edited by CommissarSpartacus; 12-31-2014, 07:36 AM.
            My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

He's just that good.
              Marrone was a commodity when we got him (as he is now). It was smart business of his agent to leverage in a clause like this just in case he didn't like the direction of the franchise post-sale. This isn't about taking his side, its about what makes sense. And it doesn't mean he's not committed... in fact, if he doesn't opt out, it speaks to just how committed he is.

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

I want a coach who thinks this is the greatest gig in the world
                lets be honest here. he was interviewing for Ralph Wilson's Buffalo Bills... the league joke of dysfunctional organizations.

Why does someone looking out for their own career path interest equate to him being a traitor before he even gets started? Not to mention... this is the NFL... about as cut throat of a business as there is.

That's ****ed up
                not really.

its just smart and of little consequence to be honest. We're talking about a 3 day out in case things got entirely squirrely after the sale of the team.

I think it's flabbergasting that Marrone would ask for something like this and even MORE flabbergasting the team would go along with it.
                flabbergasted?

lol.

are u also verklempt?

But, I guess with Brandon and Marrone Syracuse butt-buddies, they look out for each other first, THEN the team...
                Brandon fits that mold. I see nothing in Marrone's behavior that suggests he isn't completed interested in the team.

Quite the opposite actually... chastising his bosses openly during training camp for not giving them the tools to be successful, benching his bosses golden boy QB, benching M Williams, not putting up with Jerry Hughes and whatever shenanigans he was pulling.

he was put into a no-win situation in many respects and delivered a winning season.

give him his guards and get a functional QB plan before the first offseason OTA... and let's see what everyone thinks of him then.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Just heard about it yesterday.

This is the final nail in the coffin for me with Marrone.

Anyone that sticks a clause in their contract giving them an out if a better job comes along is someone I don't want working for me, for obvious reasons, not the least being he's disrespecting the position.

If I hire a coach, I fully expect him to sincerely wish to be so successful, he leads the Bills to a streak of winning seasons and superbowls until he retires a legend.

Anything else, I don't want you.

I'm looking at you Doug.

Please, go get a better job...

Then you'd be a crappy agent. The Out Clause was put in place due to the uncertainty of the ownership or Ralph's declining health. It was a good thing to put in the contract.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Spartacus
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
                    Marrone was a commodity when we got him (as he is now). It was smart business of his agent to leverage in a clause like this just in case he didn't like the direction of the franchise post-sale. This isn't about taking his side, its about what makes sense. And it doesn't mean he's not committed... in fact, if he doesn't opt out, it speaks to just how committed he is.
                    Marrone isn't now, and never was, a commodity. I'd never even heard of him.

But if he IS such a ****ing commodity, I guess he's sorting through all those HC/GM/TeamPres job offers he's swamped with.

I mean, after all, anybody who watched the Bills this years could HELP but be overwhelmed by the margin with which we outcoached other teams!

As for this - "in fact, if he doesn't opt out, it speaks to just how committed he is. " - you sound like the doormat in an abusive relationship. The fact he hasn't walked out on you proves how much he loves you, especially when he made plans to do exactly that thing.

Pathetic. Just like Groucho's line about not wanting to belong to a club that would have him as a member, you don't want a coach that would want to be our coach and you fully understand their desire to get the **** out of here if something better comes along.

Sorry, but I'm a Bills fan, not a wannabe sports agent.
                    My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Spartacus
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                      Then you'd be a crappy agent. The Out Clause was put in place due to the uncertainty of the ownership or Ralph's declining health. It was a good thing to put in the contract.
                      I DON'T WANT TO BE Marrone's agent. What's so hard to understand?

I don't CARE about what's in Marrone's best interests.
                      My tebya razdavim

Comment

• The King
                        • Jun 2004

I DON'T WANT TO BE Marrone's agent. What's so hard to understand?

I don't CARE about what's in Marrone's best interests.
                        Why is hard to understand that Marrone's agent does?
                        It was all

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

somebody poop in your cheerios shiva? pretty cranky lately

how they hell were they going to get a good coach in here without an opt out clause when the owner was too frail to even make public appearances? it was a good, necessary, and fair move imo
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Spartacus
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                            lets be honest here. he was interviewing for Ralph Wilson's Buffalo Bills... the league joke of dysfunctional organizations.
                            Oh, he was doing us a favor? Now we have to grovel in front of HC candidates?

Why does someone looking out for their own career path interest equate to him being a traitor before he even gets started? Not to mention... this is the NFL... about as cut throat of a business as there is.
                            "They (the NFL) do it too!". You know what I think about that.

And a potential hire can look out for his own interests in any way he can. It's a free country. And all the players can look out for their own interests. And the coaches. And the trainers and the GM and the scouts. And the owner. It's a perfect Randian utopia. Everyone looks out strictly for their own interests and success is bound to follow. It's so obvious.

not really.

its just smart and of little consequence to be honest. We're talking about a 3 day out in case things got entirely squirrely after the sale of the team.
                            Yes, really. It's disrespectful and insulting. Marrone gets a contract like anyone else. If they want to fire him, they pay him off and go with someone else. But they don't put something in the contract that says it's okay for him to actively consider leaving from the word go. That's admitting you're a loser.

flabbergasted?

lol.
                            You would have preferred hornswaggled?

are u also verklempt?
                            Oy gevalt!

Brandon fits that mold. I see nothing in Marrone's behavior that suggests he isn't completed interested in the team.
                            I do. That's what this opt-out clause is. Problem is, no one's been impressed with the job Marrone's done, so his agent's fantasy of Marrone leveraging two years in Buffalo into a job with a GOOD team has gone in the crapper.

Quite the opposite actually... chastising his bosses openly during training camp for not giving them the tools to be successful, benching his bosses golden boy QB, benching M Williams, not putting up with Jerry Hughes and whatever shenanigans he was pulling.
                            Boo hoo hoo.

Complaining OPENLY about the quality of the players being provided to you is an ABSOLUTE NO NO in any organi2ation, whether it's justified or not. The players are the teams assets, and no matter what you think of them privately, publicly you don't devalue your assets. It's stupid and a CYA move.

Sorry, but I ran teams for many years and the last things I ever wanted to do was embarrass my employers and/or chew out individuals. If you know what you're doing, you fix those things before they get to that point.

A no-win situation? Give me a ****ing break. If it wasn't for Schwart2 and Orton, the Bills would have been 5 -11.

Marrone and Hackett were the WEAKEST links on the team, and it makes me furious that someone in charge of One Bills Drive would put us under the thumb of some pissant with no claim to fame of any sort.

he was put into a no-win situation in many respects and delivered a winning season.

give him his guards and get a functional QB plan before the first offseason OTA... and let's see what everyone thinks of him then.
                            Really? What's a functional qb plan?

And don't you find it interesting how fast Orton got outta Dodge?

I don't think he was impressed with Marrone/Hackett either...
                            Last edited by CommissarSpartacus; 12-31-2014, 09:19 AM.
                            My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

All depends what type of precautions, but that's beside the point.

He can ask for all the protections in the world, YOU DON"T HAVE TO GIVE THEM TO HIM.

In fact, if it was me doing the hiring, I would have crossed Marrone off my list the first time I heard this request. Interview over, there's the door.

I want a coach who thinks this is the greatest gig in the world, not someone who's openly suspicious of my competence to the point that even before he's hired he's strategi2ing his departure.

That's ****ed up,.

Um....pretty sure this is one of your troll threads....there's literally not one soul on the planet of 3B that thinks the Bills job at the end of 2013 was the greatest gig in the world and that includes every Bills fan. The reason this clause was needed has been discussed and is pretty obvious and you are not flabbergasted...at all.

We've literally had a clown car of coaches run through here for a decade and a half, the sad thing was we didn't give opt out clauses for all of them, maybe some would have opted out and saved us all some acid reflux.

Comment

Working...
                              X