• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Is Marrone pitching for more power?

Not a bad piece, although I disagree on his assessment of Watkins completely (I still think he's the best of the '14 class). Whaley did come off as a little weak in the Monday presser. This could be a simple case of one Doug being more assertive and the other being more 'submissive', which leads to some natural power dynamics. That will work so long as Whaley is willing to accept a diminished role in ultimate decision making, which I'd say is far from guaranteed. This is the key topic at OBD for the foreseeable future IMO... how the power dynamic plays out. It will be interesting to see what we learn about how that's really unfolding.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Is Marrone pitching for more power?

Their spat in the Preseason prior to Orton's acquisition shows that he probably wants more control.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Spartacus
      • Mar 2003

Marrone has an out clause. He doesn't need to take anyone's ****.

There are at least a half do2en teams that would sign him today, so let's make sure we don't piss him off.
      My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

More control over punting on 4th and short ? Maybe he's now hoping to pooch punt on 3rd down.
        O genius.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• coastal
          Legendary Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
          Marrone has an out clause. He doesn't need to take anyone's ****.

There are at least a half do2en teams that would sign him today, so let's make sure we don't piss him off.
          If only he knew his place and just accepted his lot of a three year gig followed by the inevitable bowl flush.

how dare he exert what he knows to be the best things for the team's ultimate goal... you know.... winning.

Comment

• cookie G
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by coastal View Post
            If only he knew his place and just accepted his lot of a three year gig followed by the inevitable bowl flush.

how dare he exert what he knows to be the best things for the team's ultimate goal... you know.... winning.
            I'd prefer he spent more time controlling how to improve his underwhelming offense, or relinquish control to someone who can.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Perhaps it was nothing
              that's most likely it since the bills' season is done and there's nothing else to talk about until FA and draft.
              Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-31-2014, 08:25 AM.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                I'd prefer he spent more time controlling how to improve his underwhelming offense, or relinquish control to someone who can.
                that has to be addressed. No doubt.

hackett needs to go. he's earned it.

weve been told two weeks... Marrone becomes less defensible if Hackett survives.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  Their spat in the Preseason prior to Orton's acquisition shows that he probably wants more control.
                  so i wonder if that disagreement was really about what ppl were speculating at the time, that marrone wanted orton in camp and napster wanted to stay all-in on ej alone
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                    Marrone becomes less defensible if Hackett survives.
                    i still think they are going to have morris be their sacrificial lamb and hackett stays. frankly i hope they do fire hackett and get a real oc in here but i just dont see that happening when its really doug that runs the offense imo
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• coastal
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

of course it was...

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                        i still think they are going to have morris be their sacrificial lamb and hackett stays. frankly i hope they do fire hackett and get a real oc in here but i just dont see that happening when its really doug that runs the offense imo
                        The offense blows chunks.

personnel issues aside... a real offensive leader with a history of production needs to be brought in

Comment

• GingerP
                          • Aug 2012

I don't know about Power, but I bet he wants more security. Extending his contract and those of his assistants is something he might push for while he has the leverage. It gives him more stability after the ownership change.

Barring that, he may figure he can opt out if he knows that teams with openings would be interested in him. I'm sure he agent has been figuring that out behind the scenes, and he would get a new start with a longer-term contract.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

Just remind everyone go read Polian's book where he stated clearly that Levy had veto power of ANY player personnel move and that's with Polian at the helm.

Some of the Marrone HC interview details becomes public knowledge, specifically how he wants to build a team, defense, ST, and offense. I'm not going to discount that as a cover-up for the poor offense performance - there are a number of people in high places sat on Marrone's HC interview process and heard his plan. You may not like his philosophy which is fine. But apparently the Bills bought into it by hiring him. Of course if the Bills were sitting on pick #1 overall with Andrew Luck waiting to be picked, Marrone's team-building philosophy might be different, but no one knows.

From an overall perspective, you have to say Marrone carried out his plan well thus far. Of course, I'm pretty sure he'd have hoped that the foundation of the offense was set: EJ sat behind a veteran, played in 2nd year, and was ready to come onto to the scene in year 3; offensive line went through a youth movement and into a solid unit by now; wide receiver weapons (which was almost bare when Marrone came in) were established.

The outlook at this point is that I don't have a reason to believe the improvement on offense is coming next season. Marrone, more so than Whaley, seems to have lost confidence in EJ. They have no QB and no RB, and no 1st round pick in the coming draft. I actually liked his way of looking at problems -- some want to talk about a play in Oakland, or the fumble in Chiefs game, but he's looking at them all as a whole, which is more in my line of thinking, let alone a particular play call (4th and short) etc. When they go to the Analytics, they may break down into more details, but right now I can simply point out the production out of QB and RB positions are the major issue. And at this time, I don't see any immediate fix.

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                              Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                              • Feb 2013

it's Bucky don't read any thing into this. He's just throwing darts at a dartboard Just like he used to do when he was writing Sabres articles for the snooze. Now if was Graham or Vic this column would be readable but Bucky na na!

Comment

Working...
                              X