PDA

View Full Version : Is Marrone pitching for more power?

Don't Panic
12-31-2014, 07:13 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/is-marrone-pitching-for-more-power-20141230

Not a bad piece, although I disagree on his assessment of Watkins completely (I still think he's the best of the '14 class). Whaley did come off as a little weak in the Monday presser. This could be a simple case of one Doug being more assertive and the other being more 'submissive', which leads to some natural power dynamics. That will work so long as Whaley is willing to accept a diminished role in ultimate decision making, which I'd say is far from guaranteed. This is the key topic at OBD for the foreseeable future IMO... how the power dynamic plays out. It will be interesting to see what we learn about how that's really unfolding.

The King
12-31-2014, 07:24 AM
Their spat in the Preseason prior to Orton's acquisition shows that he probably wants more control.

CommissarSpartacus
12-31-2014, 07:24 AM
Marrone has an out clause. He doesn't need to take anyone's ****.

There are at least a half do2en teams that would sign him today, so let's make sure we don't piss him off.

Night Train
12-31-2014, 07:52 AM
More control over punting on 4th and short ? Maybe he's now hoping to pooch punt on 3rd down.
O genius.

coastal
12-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Marrone has an out clause. He doesn't need to take anyone's ****.

There are at least a half do2en teams that would sign him today, so let's make sure we don't piss him off.
If only he knew his place and just accepted his lot of a three year gig followed by the inevitable bowl flush.

how dare he exert what he knows to be the best things for the team's ultimate goal... you know.... winning.

cookie G
12-31-2014, 08:10 AM
If only he knew his place and just accepted his lot of a three year gig followed by the inevitable bowl flush.

how dare he exert what he knows to be the best things for the team's ultimate goal... you know.... winning.

I'd prefer he spent more time controlling how to improve his underwhelming offense, or relinquish control to someone who can.

justasportsfan
12-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Perhaps it was nothing

that's most likely it since the bills' season is done and there's nothing else to talk about until FA and draft.

coastal
12-31-2014, 08:25 AM
I'd prefer he spent more time controlling how to improve his underwhelming offense, or relinquish control to someone who can.that has to be addressed. No doubt.

hackett needs to go. he's earned it.

weve been told two weeks... Marrone becomes less defensible if Hackett survives.

Meathead
12-31-2014, 08:33 AM
Their spat in the Preseason prior to Orton's acquisition shows that he probably wants more control.

so i wonder if that disagreement was really about what ppl were speculating at the time, that marrone wanted orton in camp and napster wanted to stay all-in on ej alone

Meathead
12-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Marrone becomes less defensible if Hackett survives.

i still think they are going to have morris be their sacrificial lamb and hackett stays. frankly i hope they do fire hackett and get a real oc in here but i just dont see that happening when its really doug that runs the offense imo

coastal
12-31-2014, 08:35 AM
of course it was...

coastal
12-31-2014, 08:37 AM
i still think they are going to have morris be their sacrificial lamb and hackett stays. frankly i hope they do fire hackett and get a real oc in here but i just dont see that happening when its really doug that runs the offense imo
The offense blows chunks.

personnel issues aside... a real offensive leader with a history of production needs to be brought in

GingerP
12-31-2014, 09:19 AM
I don't know about Power, but I bet he wants more security. Extending his contract and those of his assistants is something he might push for while he has the leverage. It gives him more stability after the ownership change.

Barring that, he may figure he can opt out if he knows that teams with openings would be interested in him. I'm sure he agent has been figuring that out behind the scenes, and he would get a new start with a longer-term contract.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Just remind everyone go read Polian's book where he stated clearly that Levy had veto power of ANY player personnel move and that's with Polian at the helm.

Some of the Marrone HC interview details becomes public knowledge, specifically how he wants to build a team, defense, ST, and offense. I'm not going to discount that as a cover-up for the poor offense performance - there are a number of people in high places sat on Marrone's HC interview process and heard his plan. You may not like his philosophy which is fine. But apparently the Bills bought into it by hiring him. Of course if the Bills were sitting on pick #1 overall with Andrew Luck waiting to be picked, Marrone's team-building philosophy might be different, but no one knows.

From an overall perspective, you have to say Marrone carried out his plan well thus far. Of course, I'm pretty sure he'd have hoped that the foundation of the offense was set: EJ sat behind a veteran, played in 2nd year, and was ready to come onto to the scene in year 3; offensive line went through a youth movement and into a solid unit by now; wide receiver weapons (which was almost bare when Marrone came in) were established.

The outlook at this point is that I don't have a reason to believe the improvement on offense is coming next season. Marrone, more so than Whaley, seems to have lost confidence in EJ. They have no QB and no RB, and no 1st round pick in the coming draft. I actually liked his way of looking at problems -- some want to talk about a play in Oakland, or the fumble in Chiefs game, but he's looking at them all as a whole, which is more in my line of thinking, let alone a particular play call (4th and short) etc. When they go to the Analytics, they may break down into more details, but right now I can simply point out the production out of QB and RB positions are the major issue. And at this time, I don't see any immediate fix.

DetDannyWilliams
12-31-2014, 10:19 AM
:roflmao: it's Bucky don't read any thing into this. He's just throwing darts at a dartboard Just like he used to do when he was writing Sabres articles for the snooze. Now if was Graham or Vic this column would be readable but Bucky na na!

ghz in pittsburgh
12-31-2014, 10:25 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16700/sharing-thoughts-on-doug-marrones-contract-situation

Wouldn't you think a decision would be made by now if this is simply "in" or "out"? I doubt if you have made your mind, you let your boss wait until the last minute.

OpIv37
12-31-2014, 10:50 AM
Just remind everyone go read Polian's book where he stated clearly that Levy had veto power of ANY player personnel move and that's with Polian at the helm

Oh please.

When Marv came to the Bills, he had successfully been a head coach of professionals in the CFL and had success and an opportunity to learn as an assistant under George Allen. Marrone had no such experience before coming to the Bills.

The HC has to prove they can handle personnel decisions before being given that power.

Additionally, there was no cap or FA when Marv coached, making personnel decisions a lot easier and a lot less tied to the financial aspect of the game.

YardRat
12-31-2014, 11:42 AM
I though Whaley was pretty assertive at the presser when he stated it was his job to acquire the talent and Marrone's to coach them. Kind of reminded me of Nix saying the same thing with Gailey.

jamze132
12-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Can we just get Gailey back to run the offense?

Albany,n.y.
12-31-2014, 02:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16700/sharing-thoughts-on-doug-marrones-contract-situation

Wouldn't you think a decision would be made by now if this is simply "in" or "out"? I doubt if you have made your mind, you let your boss wait until the last minute.

His boss already knows. Just because people don't listen to the man, he's not going to say something to the media when he already told them over 2 weeks "you're stuck with me" in his post game press conference. If he's reading or listening to the Buffalo media (including WGR who has been talking about this non story for a while) he's probably thinking: What part of my statement that you're stuck with me, when they asked me about Michigan a few weeks ago don't these idiots understand.

This is a total non story fueled by some people with nothing to write or talk about and they think by speculating they're justifying their paychecks.

Night Train
12-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Can we just get Gailey back to run the offense?

We'd have to trade for his common law wife, Fitz.

Albany,n.y.
12-31-2014, 06:21 PM
His boss already knows. Just because people don't listen to the man, he's not going to say something to the media when he already told them over 2 weeks "you're stuck with me" in his post game press conference. If he's reading or listening to the Buffalo media (including WGR who has been talking about this non story for a while) he's probably thinking: What part of my statement that you're stuck with me, when they asked me about Michigan a few weeks ago don't these idiots understand.

This is a total non story fueled by some people with nothing to write or talk about and they think by speculating they're justifying their paychecks.
In the words of Rick Perry:
OOPS!

Novacane
12-31-2014, 06:23 PM
In the words of Rick Perry:
OOPS!

Eh it's ok. I thought the same thing. I just didn't post it.

black N yellow
12-31-2014, 06:25 PM

I guess some of them do earn their paychecks.

starrymessenger
12-31-2014, 07:43 PM

Let me be the first to congratulate you.
You have earned my vote for the #1 failed post of all time.
Marrone is the classic example of the self important buffoon who overplays a hand thats a lot weaker than he thinks, is so overconfident that he let's the world know that he's got his new boss on direct speed dial when Orton retires, brings pressure to nail down a sinecure for him and his useless pal OC because he thinks the time is right, then shows his back like the coward he is while holding a bag with 4 M bucks in it that he didn't earn and doesn't deserve.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Marrone is the classic example of the self important buffoon who overplays a hand thats a lot weaker than he thinks, is so overconfident that he let's the world know that he's got his new boss on direct speed dial when Orton retires, brings pressure to nail down a sinecure for him and his useless pal OC because he thinks the time is right, then shows his back like the coward he is while holding a bag with 4 M bucks in it that he didn't earn and doesn't deserve.

That might be the difference between him and Parcells as I always say his behavior is Parcells like (key word, like, not quit Parcells in his younger days). Once he opened mouth on extension, he should know its over. This is not Syracuse or any NCAA school where this kind of play works.

starrymessenger
12-31-2014, 10:00 PM
That might be the difference between him and Parcells as I always say his behavior is Parcells like (key word, like, not quit Parcells in his younger days). Once he opened mouth on extension, he should know its over. This is not Syracuse or any NCAA school where this kind of play works.

Kudos to Pegs.
I don't know how much he knows about football but he clearly knows when he's being played by an employee.
Good common horse sense.
Looks like he knows how to run a business.

YardRat
12-31-2014, 10:24 PM

Gotta at least give him props for calling himself out.

Reminds me of a couple of my own posts back in the day, very assertive about the 6th rounder from Michigan being a 'one-shot wonder'.

starrymessenger
12-31-2014, 10:30 PM
Gotta at least give him props for calling himself out.

Reminds me of a couple of my own posts back in the day, very assertive about the 6th rounder from Michigan being a 'one-shot wonder'.
Truth be told a lot of mine suck too.

Don't Panic
01-01-2015, 07:15 AM
BTW... when I started this thread, I imagined months of playing itself out, not hours! Wow... sorry for setting you up for the fail, albany.

I can't wait to hear the truth about how this thing went. My buddy said he heard this morning that Marrone was essentially asked to leave. I'm having a hard time believing that. Time will tell what the real playing out of events was I hope.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-01-2015, 07:41 AM
My buddy said he heard this morning that Marrone was essentially asked to leave. I'm having a hard time believing that. Time will tell what the real playing out of events was I hope.

I don't believe that either. Marrone is not that dumb. Once you go on that route, you either get it or leave.

Novacane
01-01-2015, 07:57 AM
BTW... when I started this thread, I imagined months of playing itself out, not hours! Wow... sorry for setting you up for the fail, albany.

I can't wait to hear the truth about how this thing went. My buddy said he heard this morning that Marrone was essentially asked to leave. I'm having a hard time believing that. Time will tell what the real playing out of events was I hope.

I don't think he was fired. He may have been asked to leave once he asked for an extension. Depends on how he asked for it. If he just asked for the contract extension I think Pegula wouldn't of blamed him for trying and all would of been well. If Marrone approached it in the manner of I'm exercising my option if I don't get an extension I think that would of pissed Pegula off big time. You don't threaten your boss.

Albany,n.y.
01-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Usually when I miss on something like this, it takes days or months to prove me wrong. This time it was virtually minutes. I've never been so wrong so fast.

better days
01-01-2015, 09:08 AM
There have been reports of a power struggle between Whaley & Marrone.

CBS Sports said Marrone asked for an extension for himself & was refused.

He then asked for an extension for his assistants & was refused again.

I think at best Pegula was willing to give Marrone one more year to prove himself or was possibly thinking of firing him.

THANK GOD. I thought we would be stuck with Marrone, Hackett & Orton after the Bills beat the Pats* in that meaningless last game.