PDA

View Full Version : Pegula has PASSED his first test as owner

YardRat
12-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Marrone walks into the new owner's office and demands extensions for himself and his assistants, or he's opting out.

"Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way" apparently was the reply.

SpikedLemonade
12-31-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I have to give Pegula a pat on his fracking back for standing his ground.

Novacane
12-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Yes he has!

ghz in pittsburgh
12-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Not sure that's a pass of a test.

Belichick pissed off the Jets and jumped to the Pats. Did the Jets owner passed his test?

The test is in how Pegula builds his team, which comes sooner than he expected, I'm sure.

cookie G
12-31-2014, 05:04 PM
Not sure that's a pass of a test.

Belichick pissed off the Jets and jumped to the Pats. Did the Jets owner passed his test?

The test is in how Pegula builds his team, which comes sooner than he expected, I'm sure.

In which bizarro world does Marrone=Belichick?

Novacane
12-31-2014, 05:05 PM

Much more likely Marrone=Mularkey!

Ingtar33
12-31-2014, 05:08 PM
gotta give him props.

don't let the door hit you st.doug

ghz in pittsburgh
12-31-2014, 05:09 PM
Belichick did worse in his stint as HC in NE. Marrone is going to the Jets btw. We'll see. To me it all depends on what Pegula does next.

Night Train
12-31-2014, 05:11 PM
I bet Kim had a lot to do with this.

Women like men that can score. :up:

DynaPaul
12-31-2014, 05:44 PM
He had a lot of balls demanding an extension after NOT making the playoffs. Either that or it was all in the game plan to quit this team without looking like a total douche bag which obviously didn't work.

kingJofNYC
12-31-2014, 05:54 PM
Peace out you ****ing bum.

Talked up his Bronx toughness, but was soft as **** on game day.

Meathead
12-31-2014, 06:04 PM

at the time belicheat and his career sub-500 hc record was probably lower on the coaching scale than marrone. still is imo. luckiest guy to ever coach in the nfl imo

Novacane
12-31-2014, 06:07 PM
at the time belicheat and his career sub-500 hc record was probably lower on the coaching scale than marrone. still is imo. luckiest guy to ever coach in the nfl imo

I agree. I can't wait to see him post Brady.

Forward_Lateral
12-31-2014, 06:13 PM
I just hope Pegula has a plan, and doesn't throw a bunch of money at the first big name coach that walks in like Mike Smith. I will puke if that twinkle toes is the next head coach.

Buddo
12-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Got to agree with Pegula standing firm.

Reminds me a bit of Whaley having to deal with Byrd as about his first act as GM. He didn't blink either.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Terry is cheap.

Mace
12-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Marrone walks into the new owner's office and demands extensions for himself and his assistants, or he's opting out.

Personally, I think he failed it. He never hired his consultant and banked on status quo until he did.

The Jets have Casserly and Ron Wolf helping already. That leaves Accorsi and they'd better grab him quick.

SpikedLemonade
12-31-2014, 07:27 PM
Personally, I think he failed it. He never hired his consultant and banked on status quo until he did.

The Jets have Casserly and Ron Wolf helping already. That leaves Accorsi and they'd better grab him quick.

Yeah I have been wondering about his procrastination hiring a consultant after I heard who the Jets hired.

Buddo
12-31-2014, 07:31 PM

Casserly isn't much good imho. Wolf is decent though.

Who is to say he hasn't been talking to someone though?

Tbh, while I don't think it was exactly a 'power play' by Marrone, I do think that it was a situation where he was looking to get some sort of acknowledgement from the Pegulas, that they wanted him as HC, and felt that an extension was the best way for that to be shown. I think the Pegulas were probably going to let him have next season, and if that was another winning one, they would have signed the checks, but weren't prepared to do so now - especially after seeing the offensive offense.

At that point, I think Dougie has thrown the toys out of the pram, while knowing he's still going to get paid.

On the one hand, it looks like he's trying to take care of his staff. On the other, he's not going to be the guy who's hurting financially from this, but they might be. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't be letting any of the Defensive coaching staff move in a hurry. He can take the offense with him for all I care.

I'd be very inclined to ask Schwartz to remain as DC, and to ask him to persuade his staff to stay as well, and if he does, to give them an extension, so they have the same length of term as he does, which would probably just amount to an extra year for most of them, yet shows faith in what they have done.

I don't see why we have to actually hire a HC who is going to insist on bringing in a whole new staff, when we have at least one side of the football playing very well, under good coaches. Get a good, offensive HC in, and tell him to leave the D alone. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

People go on about being innovative, yet nobody seems to try anything like this. If you've got one system in place, that works well, why on earth should you throw it away, just because a HC leaves?

Mace
12-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Casserly isn't much good imho. Wolf is decent though.

Who is to say he hasn't been talking to someone though?

Tbh, while I don't think it was exactly a 'power play' by Marrone, I do think that it was a situation where he was looking to get some sort of acknowledgement from the Pegulas, that they wanted him as HC, and felt that an extension was the best way for that to be shown. I think the Pegulas were probably going to let him have next season, and if that was another winning one, they would have signed the checks, but weren't prepared to do so now - especially after seeing the offensive offense.

At that point, I think Dougie has thrown the toys out of the pram, while knowing he's still going to get paid.

On the one hand, it looks like he's trying to take care of his staff. On the other, he's not going to be the guy who's hurting financially from this, but they might be. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't be letting any of the Defensive coaching staff move in a hurry. He can take the offense with him for all I care.

I'd be very inclined to ask Schwartz to remain as DC, and to ask him to persuade his staff to stay as well, and if he does, to give them an extension, so they have the same length of term as he does, which would probably just amount to an extra year for most of them, yet shows faith in what they have done.

I don't see why we have to actually hire a HC who is going to insist on bringing in a whole new staff, when we have at least one side of the football playing very well, under good coaches. Get a good, offensive HC in, and tell him to leave the D alone. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

People go on about being innovative, yet nobody seems to try anything like this. If you've got one system in place, that works well, why on earth should you throw it away, just because a HC leaves?

Agree about Casserly, but Casserly was smart enough about not being good enough to include Wolf. It's easy to say he hasn't been talking to anyone besides feeling out Polian or they'd be locked in loudly by now. There were only 3 major players, Wolf, Accorsi and Polian, Polian being least desirable sorry to say because of little Polian at Indy. The minor player is Holmgren, which would be bad since he tried this already in Cleveland and wants back in someplace and no one will let him. We need Accorsi consulting imho.

jimmifli
12-31-2014, 08:27 PM
Technically this was his second test. Or maybe we can say Doug gave him a mulligan.

Now comes the big one.... Brandon gets a nice reference letter and free flight to Oakland.

Buddo
01-01-2015, 05:15 AM
Agree about Casserly, but Casserly was smart enough about not being good enough to include Wolf. It's easy to say he hasn't been talking to anyone besides feeling out Polian or they'd be locked in loudly by now. There were only 3 major players, Wolf, Accorsi and Polian, Polian being least desirable sorry to say because of little Polian at Indy. The minor player is Holmgren, which would be bad since he tried this already in Cleveland and wants back in someplace and no one will let him. We need Accorsi consulting imho.

Accorsi is already helping the Bears, as of a couple of days ago.

Don't Panic
01-01-2015, 07:06 AM
The Schwartz thing is going to be tricky because 1) he may feel slighted if he doesn't get the HC gig and 2) the next HC might not want him as the DC. I think its important to remember that two DCs had this D playing high level football. Granted both are solid at what they do, but its the quality of the personnel there that is most important. If Schwartz does end up moving on, we should still be OK there.

jamze132
01-01-2015, 07:20 AM
The Schwartz thing is going to be tricky because 1) he may feel slighted if he doesn't get the HC gig and 2) the next HC might not want him as the DC. I think its important to remember that two DCs had this D playing high level football. Granted both are solid at what they do, but its the quality of the personnel there that is most important. If Schwartz does end up moving on, we should still be OK there.
Rumor has it Schwartz isn't interest in HC at this point. He's under contract next season and seems to be happy.

And what kind of new HC would not want to walk into a team with a top 5 defense with a solid coach knowing that he can let that unit do its thing with minimal supervision?

Jry44
01-01-2015, 07:24 AM

Casserly, who is terrible to begin with and Ron Wolf are completely moot as anything with the Jets as long as Woody Johnson owns the team.

Marrone has quit on two teams now because he didn't get his way. Two! I don't want a quitter with a 2yr old mentality anywhere near my team.

YardRat
01-01-2015, 07:28 AM
If it's already common knowledge, I would bet that Polian is in the loop to some degree even though he's not officially on the payroll and won't be 'official' until the end of the month.

cookie G
01-01-2015, 09:30 AM

uh huh.

Belichick was already known as one of the top defensive minds in the game, if not the best. He had 2 SB rings earned on the backs of his defense.

After the Cleveland debaucle, he went back to working side by side with Parcells, helping NE get to the SB, and then building the Jets into a top 10 D. He was widely known as the guy who would be replacing Parcells when he retired.

On the other hand you have a guy that got Juicy Fruit for Payton in NO and who built an average offense in Syracuse.

The comparison reminds me of when people used to compare Trent Edwards to Brady because they both threw short passes.

HHURRICANE
01-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Yeah I have been wondering about his procrastination hiring a consultant after I heard who the Jets hired.

For a team trying to make the playoffs it was an unnecessary distraction.

I agree that timing is everything. We'll have time to get this done right.

I hate Brandon though....biggest, luckiest, weasel.

djjimkelly
01-01-2015, 10:27 AM

he didnt become a billionaire by giving into idiots demands

djjimkelly
01-01-2015, 10:29 AM
If it's already common knowledge, I would bet that Polian is in the loop to some degree even though he's not officially on the payroll and won't be 'official' until the end of the month.

maybe its been in place for a while.

maybe its why polian was so complementary in the media to marrone. he knew what was coming

ITS CALLED A POKER FACE!!!!!!!!!!

notacon
01-01-2015, 10:40 AM

Passivity is not what this team needs to succeed. Getting rid of the coaching staff should have been his first reaction, and he should have FIRED them, to send the message LOUD and CLEAR to the whole NFL that the new Buffalo Bills are serious.

Not going along with an unreasonable ultimatum is NOT a encouraging sign of new leadership. Any dope would react the same way to this stupid demand by a weak Marrone.

Is Whaley still in his office???

Pegula may yet earn my respect, but, not yet.

So far he has failed his first test.

BertSquirtgum
01-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Passivity is not what this team needs to succeed. Getting rid of the coaching staff should have been his first reaction, and he should have FIRED them, to send the message LOUD and CLEAR to the whole NFL that the new Buffalo Bills are serious.

Not going along with an unreasonable ultimatum is NOT a encouraging sign of new leadership. Any dope would react the same way to this stupid demand by a weak Marrone.

Is Whaley still in his office???

Pegula may yet earn my respect, but, not yet.

So far he has failed his first test.

You're an idiot. You wanted Marrone gone but this way wasn't good enough? Gtfoh

Downinfloflo
01-01-2015, 11:55 AM
Much more likely Marrone=Mularkey!

He does...Those two guys were the head coaches for the Bills 2 winning records in 12 years.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-01-2015, 12:24 PM
He does...Those two guys were the head coaches for the Bills 2 winning records in 12 years.

And each of them had their biggest dud games at the worst time. Kevin Costner jr for losing to the steeler practice squad and marrone for losing to the cfl team from oakland

Meathead
01-02-2015, 05:14 AM
why do ppl always bring up belicheats career and rings as a dc when talking about his hc abilities? do you realize those are two different jobs? are you aware that most great coordinators dont make good hcs? have you also ever noticed great hcs dont have to be great coordinators?

ill say it again: belicheat is a career sub-500 coach when he wasnt trading hello kitty panties with marcia

as if that wasnt enough, hes only won his own superbowls while he was cheating. god i hope we can get out of marcias career still being able to say that, but even if not he hasnt proven anything when he didnt have the best passer in history propping him up exactly at the same time as the nfl is making it more and more a qb centered league every chance they get

he is the absolute all-time poster child for overrated hcs. and hes a cheater

Historian
01-02-2015, 07:33 AM
I disagree, Meat.

The Bills were 10 point favorites in SB XXV, and it is because of his defense we lost, plain and simple.

Has he gotten lucky, having LT on the Giants, and 6th round Brady on the Pats....yes.

But Marv used to have a saying: "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."

You better believe it.