PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hamilton Just Gave Some Good Insight Into Doug Marrone

BillsImpossible
12-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Marrone did not get along with a lot of people. He would shout and swear at them like a bully.

If Marrone turned off everyone in the Bills organization, he turned off a lot of players too.

Extended coverage on WGR550 tonight.

Novacane
12-31-2014, 07:58 PM
I'm listening. He says Marrone is arrogant and dumb lol.

Novacane
12-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Jets owner say's this is great news. If he goes to NY the media is going to eat him alive once they find out what a douche he is

ghz in pittsburgh
12-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately many successful coaches have that kind of arrogant and stubborn traits: Belichick, Harbaugh, Parcells, to some degree Cowher.

Novacane
12-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately many successful coaches have that kind of arrogant and stubborn traits: Belichick, Harbaugh, Parcells, to some degree Cowher.

And many more are failures. Greg Williams for one.

DraftBoy
12-31-2014, 08:04 PM
Why should anybody care what a Sabres reporter says about the Bills?

BillsImpossible
12-31-2014, 08:04 PM
I'm listening. He says Marrone is arrogant and dumb lol.

That's exacly what he said. He didn't mince words, and you know darn well that Paul Hamilton knows everyone in that building.

Mace
12-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Here's a good insight into Doug Marrone :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8

BillsImpossible
12-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Why should anybody care what a Sabres reporter says about the Bills?

Paul's been reporting on the Bills for a long time, he's not just a hockey guy.

DraftBoy
12-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Paul's been reporting on the Bills for a long time, he's not just a hockey guy.

I didn't say that, but he's an insider with the Sabres not the Bills. There are a number of WGR/Local Sports Media personalities I put a lot more faith in than Hamilton when it comes to insider info on the Bills.

BillsImpossible
12-31-2014, 08:11 PM
I didn't say that, but he's an insider with the Sabres not the Bills. There are a number of WGR/Local Sports Media personalities I put a lot more faith in than Hamilton when it comes to insider info on the Bills.

Joe Buscaglia is in the locker room after every Bills game, and so is Paul Hamilton. They both work for WGR.

These guys are friends, and happen to talk to each other and share information.

SpikedLemonade
12-31-2014, 08:12 PM

Who?

Coach Sal?

How do you get a "Coach" name when you are a midget and only coached girl's soccer?

coastal
12-31-2014, 08:26 PM
Lol

Mace
12-31-2014, 08:28 PM
How do you get a "Coach" name

Well, I have mine mail order, and online college, and made up 3 other ones but printed them important looking. I am fully authorized to coach cheerleaders, demolitions experts and greengrocers. But I don't stand on propriety and you don't have to call me Coach Mace, because I am humble. I have a number of doctorate's too, several royal titles and military ranks, but I am personally a man of the people who prefers not being called by all that stuff that makes me better than anyone, though I am and people are lucky I even recognize their presence (I have a degree in not having to recognize peoples presence also from Yale that I bought from an esteemed colleague in something).

Meathead
12-31-2014, 08:35 PM
yeah tbh id say its easier to be a successful hc in the nfl by being a douche versus a nice guy

the most interesting current storyline would be frank reich in bflo. i mean cmon who could write a better script. the guy has the it factor going for him too, like hes got a permanent horse shoe embedded in his ass - just not in that way since hes christian

SpikedLemonade
12-31-2014, 08:42 PM
yeah tbh id say its easier to be a successful hc in the nfl by being a douche versus a nice guy

the most interesting current storyline would be frank reich in bflo. i mean cmon who could write a better script. the guy has the it factor going for him too, like hes got a permanent horse shoe embedded in his ass - just not in that way since hes christian

Can we hire Haslett as well for DC? He got fired today from the Redskins.

Which one of them is bringing back all the 1960's industries?

Mace
12-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Can we hire Haslett as well for DC?

Whoa. Slow down there lil buckaroo.

HHURRICANE
12-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Let's bench Hughes to prove a point. Let's sit our big target WR because he wears colorful sneakers.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Let's bench Hughes to prove a point. Let's sit our big target WR because he wears colorful sneakers.

with marrone gone now, any way we can bring back mike williams? lol.

just saying

Historian
01-01-2015, 06:03 AM
I keep thinking about what Parcells said when he left New England.(maybe it was the Jets)

"They want you to cook the dinner, but they won't let you shop for the groceries."

My guess is that Marrone and Whaley's arguments over players were at the crux of all this, and why he opted out.

sudzy
01-01-2015, 06:14 AM
And many more are failures. Greg Williams for one.

Marrone is a lot closer to Greg Williams then he is the guys ghz listed.

Don't Panic
01-01-2015, 06:54 AM
I keep thinking about what Parcells said when he left New England.(maybe it was the Jets)

"They want you to cook the dinner, but they won't let you shop for the groceries."

My guess is that Marrone and Whaley's arguments over players were at the crux of all this, and why he opted out.

Marrone reminded me a lot of Parcells. That's why I liked him... until 6:15 yesterday. That schtick flies in the league a lot better than nice guys like Jauron and Gailey.

Dmoney
01-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Please refrain from putting the names Parcells and Marrone in the same sentence. One is a .500 college coach, and a under .500 coach in the NFL.....while the other has some rings....

I wouldnt have minded Marrone staying with the Bills....but as of now, he cant hold Parcells used clipboard....

Famous Amos
01-01-2015, 07:10 AM

Paul was a Bills beat reporter when WGR was not in the best graces with the Bills. he was kind of on the outside looking in, not really his fault, imo. Then when the Bills allowed WGR to boradcast their games, Joe B came on board and took over Paul's job.

EricStratton
01-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Please refrain from putting the names Parcells and Marrone in the same sentence. One is a .500 college coach, and a under .500 coach in the NFL.....while the other has some rings....

I wouldnt have minded Marrone staying with the Bills....but as of now, he cant hold Parcells used clipboard....

Bill was 12-19-1 after 2 seasons

Famous Amos
01-01-2015, 07:16 AM

That's pretty ****ing interesting, with all the Bill Cowher talk. Wouldn't Cowher want a lot of control with roster building? I think he had a big problem with Tom Donawhore and won and that's why Donawhore came to Buffalo and ****ed up our team and Cowher stayed in Pittsburgh. With Doug Whaley as GM, whom I'm sure greatly respects Bill Cowher and has a great relationship with Cowher, Cowher would most likely be a better candidate for being a cook and sharing responsibilities for shopping with Whaley and Polian. Or not.

That's just interesting about the cook and shopper thing. SOmething to keep in mind when positing who'll be the next head coach.

Jry44
01-01-2015, 07:18 AM

He opted out because he didn't get his own way. He did the same damn thing to Syracuse when he didn't get what he wanted in the way of football facilities. He stomps his feet and quits like a two year old when he doesn't get what he wants, and now has a track record of quitting on his teams as a result. Screw him! And good luck with this guy Jets! And kudos to Terry Pegula for not punting on 4th and 1!

Don't Panic
01-01-2015, 07:18 AM

While I wouldn't say the comparison is fair in accomplishment, do remember that Parcells almost didn't make it to his second season as a HC:

When Parcells took over in 1983 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_NFL_season), the New York Giants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Giants) were a team that had posted just one winning season in the previous ten years. In his first year, he made a controversial decision to bench Phil Simms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Simms) in favor of Scott Brunner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Brunner_(football_player)). The result was a disastrous 3–12–1 season during which the Giants surreptitiously offered Parcells' job to University of Miami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Miami) head coach Howard Schnellenberger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Schnellenberger) after a week 14 loss; however, Schnellenberger declined, and Parcells remained as head coach

The comparison is on their approach and demeanor. Nothing more.

Dmoney
01-01-2015, 07:28 AM
While I wouldn't say the comparison is fair in accomplishment, do remember that Parcells almost didn't make it to his second season as a HC:

The comparison is on their approach and demeanor. Nothing more.

I get that it is on demeanor and nothing more..... I just see a lot of people that want to give Marronne more credit than what he deserves....I guess time will tell, and I may be talking using more of my heart than my brain....

YardRat
01-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Carucci has an article this morning listing Marrone's disappointment with the local media as one of the reasons for opting out, so if true that would lend a little bit of credence to Hamilton's claim of a disconnect between the two.

jamze132
01-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Carucci has an article this morning listing Marrone's disappointment with the local media as one of the reasons for opting out, so if true that would lend a little bit of credence to Hamilton's claim of a disconnect between the two.

Then he's in for a real treat with the NY media. Lmao v

feldspar
01-01-2015, 08:04 AM

A couple of major reasons why Marrone left according to Carucci's article:

A big one was the uncertainty over who the Bills would bring in to oversee their football operation, which is something team owners Terry and Kim Pegula plan to do in the near future.

Marrone apparently was happy with the organizational structure that had him reporting directly to ownership. According to NFL sources, he did not like the idea of having another layer separating him from the owners, especially without knowing that person's philosophy. And this apparently applies to the man frequently mentioned for that role, Bill Polian, even though the former Bills general manager thinks highly of Marrone as a coach.

Another factor was Marrone's relationship with the local media. He was said to be upset with what he saw as constant criticism and a general lack of support. He was particularly infuriated by the questions raised about whether he should remain as the Bills' coach after the team recorded one of the biggest victories in franchise history against Green Bay.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/12/31/marrone-left-job-bills/

ICRockets
01-01-2015, 08:04 AM
It was really obvious that Marrone disrespected the Bills press, and equally obvious to anyone who wasn't Doug that it was all his fault for being such a stubborn *******.

He changed press conference protocol entirely by having an assistant list the injuries before he fielded any questions, which was only necessary because he refused to acknowledge his error in declaring EJ "110% ready" for the last game of 2013. Just tone down the rhetoric, Doug. That's all you have to do there.

The other really, really big disconnect was in Marrone's palpable contempt for anybody questioning his conservative decision-making on 4th down. All he had to do was have a GOOD REASON for not going for it, and communicate that reason to the press and the fans. OR, alternatively, recognize that he didn't have a good reason not to go for it, and possess a modicum of humility to consider that maybe somebody else has valid ideas that clash with yours. Instead, he'd just roll his eyes and be a dick.

Novacane
01-01-2015, 08:06 AM

Oh Gosh that's hilarious! And he's talking about going to NY? Multiply what he got here by 20 times!

DraftBoy
01-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Paul was a Bills beat reporter when WGR was not in the best graces with the Bills. he was kind of on the outside looking in, not really his fault, imo. Then when the Bills allowed WGR to boradcast their games, Joe B came on board and took over Paul's job.

Yea buts its been how many years since Hamilton wasn't on the Bills beat? I'm not blaming him or even saying he's wrong but he's not on the inside so I have a hard time buying what he's selling fully.

DraftBoy
01-01-2015, 08:10 AM
It was really obvious that Marrone disrespected the Bills press, and equally obvious to anyone who wasn't Doug that it was all his fault for being such a stubborn *******.

He changed press conference protocol entirely by having an assistant list the injuries before he fielded any questions, which was only necessary because he refused to acknowledge his error in declaring EJ "110% ready" for the last game of 2013. Just tone down the rhetoric, Doug. That's all you have to do there.

The other really, really big disconnect was in Marrone's palpable contempt for anybody questioning his conservative decision-making on 4th down. All he had to do was have a GOOD REASON for not going for it, and communicate that reason to the press and the fans. OR, alternatively, recognize that he didn't have a good reason not to go for it, and possess a modicum of humility to consider that maybe somebody else has valid ideas that clash with yours. Instead, he'd just roll his eyes and be a dick.

Press can be vicious in some situations especially when they don't like the coach. However, the Buffalo media is not close to that so his disdain for what he considered to be a lack of support says more about Marrone than it does about the local media. If anything I think the local media backed away too often on some of his issues.

For him to quit like this and for that to be a reason all I can say is good riddance.

Novacane
01-01-2015, 08:14 AM

A big one was the uncertainty over who the Bills would bring in to oversee their football operation, which is something team owners Terry and Kim Pegula plan to do in the near future.

Marrone apparently was happy with the organizational structure that had him reporting directly to ownership. According to NFL sources, he did not like the idea of having another layer separating him from the owners, especially without knowing that person's philosophy. And this apparently applies to the man frequently mentioned for that role, Bill Polian, even though the former Bills general manager thinks highly of Marrone as a coach.

Another factor was Marrone's relationship with the local media. He was said to be upset with what he saw as constant criticism and a general lack of support. He was particularly infuriated by the questions raised about whether he should remain as the Bills' coach after the team recorded one of the biggest victories in franchise history against Green Bay.

Which he followed up with one of the worst losses to Oakland. What a crybaby.

swiper
01-01-2015, 08:18 AM
Marrone did not get along with a lot of people. He would shout and swear at them like a bully.

If Marrone turned off everyone in the Bills organization, he turned off a lot of players too.

Extended coverage on WGR550 tonight.

I don't disagree with any of that, but.... why did Fred Jackson recently come out and say that the players liked him and gave their all for him?

BillsImpossible
01-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Insecure thin skin.

Novacane
01-01-2015, 08:20 AM
I think the part about him having a problem with the media is going to hurt him trying to get another job. You can't have thin skin in his profession.

swiper
01-01-2015, 08:21 AM

GROAN. Harbaugh aside - he's a jack @ss. But the other three were tough, smart coaches. Just because they want to do things their own way doesn't mean they are either stubborn or arrogant.

That's the stupid post of the day.

Novacane
01-01-2015, 08:21 AM
I don't disagree with any of that, but.... why did Fred Jackson recently come out and say that the players liked him and gave their all for him?

Ever watch the Fred Jackson show? All his answers sound like he's a politician.

swiper
01-01-2015, 08:27 AM
He'll get eaten alive in NYC.

JohnnyGold
01-01-2015, 08:46 AM

I hope that hyperbole comes from Carucci, and isn't a direct quote from Marrone. I don't even think that was the biggest win of this seaason... but I digress.

This year, the Bills offense scored more than 2 touchdowns against only the Jets and the Raiders. That is not how you win in 2015.

My biggest concern heading into this offseason was the possibility that Pegula would look like an out of control, meddling owner (in the Snyder/Jones mold) if he came in and fired Marrone and spent big bucks on a splashy hire. Miraculously, though, Marrone took care of that for us, and the Bills come out smelling like roses.

I will gladly trade 2 seasons of conservative Marrone football decisions balanced out by this reckless, power-grab of a resignation, which leaves us with a (potentially) big-spending owner looking to hire a coach for a team knocking on the door of being quite good.