X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Doc
    • Oct 2014

Trade this years 2nd and 3rd for futures

Seriously. It's time to solve the QB quagmire but we can't this year. The best we can do is bring in a Colt McCoy or something similar. I advocate trading our top picks this year for next years picks. That way if we're drafting between 12-20 we'll have the ammo to trade up to get a top tier qb. it's painful but it's the best way.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Trade this years 2nd and 3rd for futures

No. If they can keep the defense intact, and fix the oline this offseason, they'll still have all of the '16 picks to package and move up when (if) the timing is right.

Still have other holes to fill also, no use going 'all in' until you're ready to.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Doc
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      No. If they can keep the defense intact, and fix the oline this offseason, they'll still have all of the '16 picks to package and move up when (if) the timing is right.

Still have other holes to fill also, no use going 'all in' until you're ready to.
      A QB fixes a lot of flaws. I'm not interested in 'building' a ready to go team for a QB. I'm interested in finding an elite QB.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by The Doc View Post
        A QB fixes a lot of flaws. I'm not interested in 'building' a ready to go team for a QB. I'm interested in finding an elite QB.
        Let's throw out a hypothetical...Whaley makes the trades you suggest, and when '16 rolls around it turns out the QB class is no better than the EJ/Geno class...who are you going to package up for? The correct answer would be 'nobody'.

You can't force the acquisition of an elite QB...you need to build the rest of the roster, and strike when the opportunity finally presents itself, which is rarer than some like to think.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• The Doc
          • Oct 2014

Let's throw out a hypothetical...Whaley makes the trades you suggest, and when '16 rolls around it turns out the QB class is no better than the EJ/Geno class...who are you going to package up for? The correct answer would be 'nobody'.

You can't force the acquisition of an elite QB...you need to build the rest of the roster, and strike when the opportunity finally presents itself, which is rarer than some like to think.
          There's strong reason to believe it won't be like the EJ/Geno draft. But I'll play. In the scenario I'm pitching we'd have two 1's and two 2's. I'd use a first and trade first for one in 2017. I'd also try to trade a 2nd or so for another 2017 pick.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

No interest in this at all.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

We'd have 0 picks in the first four rounds this year? That's not a great idea, and I'm not over the moon about this draft class.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

There's strong reason to believe it won't be like the EJ/Geno draft. But I'll play. In the scenario I'm pitching we'd have two 1's and two 2's. I'd use a first and trade first for one in 2017. I'd also try to trade a 2nd or so for another 2017 pick.
                There's always 'strong reason to believe' that a QB class is going to be solid 2, 3 seasons down the road. And then that draft comes along, and it's back to reality that it really isn't.

So after trading 2015's top picks for 2016, you're going to turn around and trade 2016's top picks for 2017, and keep kicking the can down the road? Are you willing to go with only third-day draft picks for the next however many drafts because you keep trading all of the early slots for the eventual hope that a consensus 'lock' at QB is going to appear sooner or later?
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• GingerP
                  • Aug 2012

Not to mention, if there is a highly-regarded guy available, the team with the pick isn't going to trade it.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

We could probably get some of these guys for next to nothing, if not free. Why throw away good picks ? I'm not desperate for the ugly girl for the upcoming prom.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

No it doesn't. The O-line needs fixing first, and foremost. Get that fixed, and this team can win with a good running game and an avg QB.

Comment

• Fixxxer
                        • Jul 2002

I would trade a 5 or 6 round pick for Schaub and secure the willy vet for the QB back-up position. Maybe you get lucky and he finds some of that solid play he had with the Texans. With our defense (hopefully) it could be enough.

Comment

• Ed
                          Dude
                          • Sep 2002

Who says their's going to be a top tier qb in next years draft? And why do people always assume that teams picking in the top 3 would be willing to trade away the chance to take that top tier qb? If you're picking at the top of the draft there's a good chance your qb isn't that good.

Comment

• pmoon6
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Dec 2002

Seriously. It's time to solve the QB quagmire but we can't this year. The best we can do is bring in a Colt McCoy or something similar. I advocate trading our top picks this year for next years picks. That way if we're drafting between 12-20 we'll have the ammo to trade up to get a top tier qb. it's painful but it's the best way.

I see a future in stand up.

Comment

• pmoon6
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Fixxxer View Post
                              Schaub, the willy vet.
                              You mean the "wily vet with the small willy" that single handedly blew the Texans season by throwing untimely interceptions? The one who had a stellar defense and good running game.?

Comment

Working...
                              X