PDA

View Full Version : I don't get the Frank Reich love at all

X-Era
01-01-2015, 07:55 AM
1) SD had the 18th ranked offense in the league
2) He's got a total of 1 year of Coordinator level coaching experience ever
3) Frank has never been a head coach before... ANYWHERE. Not college, not pro's

You're talking about a green as the hills guy with no body of work to look on and whom only ended up with a mediocre ranked offense at SD.

We don't know squat about his ability to coach because he has barely ever done it.

This is the wrong direction for the Bills. We need a guy who can step into a playoff caliber roster and coach us to the playoffs and above day one... with experience in doing so.... and with the pedigree to get the players to buy into it right off the bat.

YardRat
01-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I agree. But, guys like Cowher and Shanahan aren't high on my list for the opposite reasons.

DraftBoy
01-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I agree. But, guys like Cowher and Shanahan aren't high on my list for the opposite reasons.

Same, there are probably 10 current coordinators I want over Reich and even more over Cowher/Shanny.

Albany,n.y.
01-01-2015, 08:14 AM
Here's the best explanation I can come up with. When Reich was playing with the Bills many of us thought that someday he'd end up back in Buffalo as coach of the Bills. The last thing we would want is for Reich to go someplace else and end up winning a championship when the Bills could have brought him back with the timing being so perfect.
I think a lot of this is we want to be able to say we knew 20 years ago he'd coach the Bills someday.
Personally, I thought Reich was going to get into coaching right after he retired but instead he took some time off from football for his ministry. Since he only has been a coordinator for 1 year, I'd prefer someone with a better resume, but there are a lot of us out there who thought he'd be perfect as the Bills coach when he was still playing & they've not given up that thinking.

swiper
01-01-2015, 08:15 AM
San Diego's offense took a downturn since Reich was there. I don't get the one poster that called him a great QB either. Sure. The comeback game. Put that aside. I remember he stunk a lot.

The King
01-01-2015, 08:22 AM
I think Bowles is the best candidate. And I love that he's coming from Arians team a guy who's been able to win with a QB carousel. We've got the D to attract him.

Night Train
01-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Nothing you said is wrong. I have my doubts about anyone, I suppose (Bills fan).. but I look at it this way.

1. The D is top 5
2. ST's are top shelf
3. O is bottom 5
4. We need someone who can call plays on O.
5. Some good asst. coaches already here (ex. Schwartz)
6. Don't need to overhaul 2 out of 3 units (D,ST's)

SD lost their RB's, were using UFA U.Buffalo's Brandon Oliver to start and had OL issues. HC decided to go pass happy and Reich had Rivers throwing far more than he wished.

I'm in my 50's and have met many players since I was a kid in the 1960's. Few impressed me beyond being Sunday players... but 2 have always stood out to me. Chris Spielman and Reich. When these guys spoke, you could see how passionate and intense they were in not just football.. but everything. Not an ounce of phony in either man. They had the class, backbone and knowledge of 10 men and commanded instant respect. They were remarkable men in spirit and belief.

If I was a player, I'd run through a wall for a guy like him because he'll back everyone without fail and fall on the sword for his players during any stumble. Those 90's Bills would let this roster know what kind of man he is and the respect would be instant.

All he has to do is steer this Offense up, which is no small task.. but it has no other direction to go but up. He once had the Teddy March playbook memorized and there IS something unique about this guy. Yes, his resume is supposedly light but if selected, he walks into a pretty good setup and he knows the O needs work. The dumb gene has never come within 10,000 miles of this guy and arrogance has never visited his house.

I'm open to anyone but he's not the bad fit many would think. He might be just we need and I know the players would love him. He's impossible to dislike.

Uncle Jesse
01-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Anyone who played for the Bills or worked for them during the glory days are the people everyone wants here now. I don't get some of the fetishes people have with certain guys.

Regarding Reich, I don't really know what to think. Is Rivers coming with him?

X-Era
01-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Nothing you said is wrong. I have my doubts about anyone, I suppose (Bills fan).. but I look at it this way.

1. The D is top 5
2. ST's are top shelf
3. O is bottom 5
4. We need someone who can call plays on O.
5. Some good asst. coaches already here (ex. Schwartz)
6. Don't need to overhaul 2 out of 3 units (D,ST's)

SD lost their RB's, were using UFA U.Buffalo's Brandon Oliver to start and had OL issues. HC decided to go pass happy and Reich had Rivers throwing far more than he wished.

I'm in my 50's and have met many players since I was a kid in the 1960's. Few impressed me beyond being Sunday players... but 2 have always stood out to me. Chris Spielman and Reich. When these guys spoke, you could see how passionate and intense they were in not just football.. but everything. Not an ounce of phony in either man. They had the class, backbone and knowledge of 10 men and commanded instant respect. They were remarkable men in spirit and belief.

If I was a player, I'd run through a wall for a guy like him because he'll back everyone without fail and fall on the sword for his players during any stumble. Those 90's Bills would let this roster know what kind of man he is and the respect would be instant.

All he has to do is steer this Offense up, which is no small task.. but it has no other direction to go but up. He once had the Teddy March playbook memorized and there IS something unique about this guy. Yes, his resume is supposedly light but if selected, he walks into a pretty good setup and he knows the O needs work. The dumb gene has never come within 10,000 miles of this guy and arrogance has never visited his house.

I'm open to anyone but he's not the bad fit many would think. He might be just we need and I know the players would love him. He's impossible to dislike.

1 through 4 and 6 apply regardless of who we hire. Who knows if Schwartz is willing to stay with a green as the hills HC in charge of him?! I mean it's easy that he wouldn't. And I know he has a contract but no team in the world would keep a disgruntled DC and force him to work under a HC he doesn't want to be under. Hell... No HC wants someone else guy who doesn't want to be here under him.

DraftBoy
01-01-2015, 08:30 AM
I have no issue taking a strong defensive coach, like Bowles, and having him bring in a top notch OC.

I think Jeff Fisch got a raw deal in Jacksonville. Also I think elevating a guy like Rocky Seto (who the Bills have offered the secondary coaching job to in 2008) would be a great defensive assistant under Bowles.

Night Train
01-01-2015, 08:37 AM
1 through 4 and 6 apply regardless of who we hire. Who knows if Schwartz is willing to stay with a green as the hills HC in charge of him?! I mean it's easy that he wouldn't. And I know he has a contract but no team in the world would keep a disgruntled DC and force him to work under a HC he doesn't want to be under. Hell... No HC wants someone else guy who doesn't want to be here under him.

Understood but you're assuming a lot. Schwartz walked away from Detroit with the Lions still owing him 2 years and 12 Mil. He might void that if taking a HC job but that's a guess, although it has happened and depends on the contract. He just told NFL Network he has no interest now on being a HC and his name isn't associated with any opening. Where is he going ? These D players look great under him. Bump his asst. salary. He keeps his windfall from the Lions.

Levy was no great game day HC coach (ST's coach) but knew how to defer to his asst. coaches and steer a ship. That's what got him to the HOF. Reich actually knows how to call a game, unlike Marrone.

DraftBoy
01-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Levy was no great game day HC coach (ST's coach) but knew how to defer to his asst. coaches and steer a ship. That's what got him to the HOF. Reich actually knows how to call a game, unlike Marrone.

How do we know that? He works for one of the hottest offensive minds in Mike McCoy who called the plays in Denver and I'm not sure how much input he has in play calling in San Diego.

X-Era
01-01-2015, 08:41 AM
How do we know that? He works for one of the hottest offensive minds in Mike McCoy who called the plays in Denver and I'm not sure how much input he has in play calling in San Diego.Agreed. And again, the posted the 18th ranked offense and 30th run offense. How exactly is he good at calling a game?

Night Train
01-01-2015, 08:46 AM
How do we know that? He works for one of the hottest offensive minds in Mike McCoy who called the plays in Denver and I'm not sure how much input he has in play calling in San Diego.

Very true. We don't know..just like we don't know if any of these " hot asst.'s " can come in, attract a quality staff and get the players to respond.

Do you think Kyle Williams, Mario Williams and many other Vets on this very good D wish to start all over, yet again, with these names being thrown around ? I want Schwartz to stay here and keep these guys happy.

DraftBoy
01-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Very true. We don't know..just like we don't know if any of these " hot asst.'s " can come in, attract a quality staff and get the players to respond.

Do you think Kyle Williams, Mario Williams and many other Vets on this very good D wish to start all over, yet again, with these names being thrown around ? I want Schwartz to stay here and keep these guys happy.

I think they would if a guy like Bowles, Quinn, or Jackson came in.

Night Train
01-01-2015, 08:49 AM
If Polian is your new " Football Czar ", what are the chances Bowles, Quinn, or Jackson get serious consideration ?

DraftBoy
01-01-2015, 08:52 AM
If Polian is your new " Football Czar ", what are the chances Bowles, Quinn, or Jackson get serious consideration ?

Don't know. I believe Polian's hires have mostly been retreads of former HC's.

X-Era
01-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Don't know. I believe Polian's hires have mostly been retreads of former HC's.I'm OK with that based on who it is.

I'd say that the players need to believe in their HC right out of their gate but Marrone was green and they seemed to buy into him so maybe that's crap.

HHURRICANE
01-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Love Frank Reich....not as a coach here.

I hope the Pegula's don't get Dan Snyder disease and bring all retreads in.

Night Train
01-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Don't know. I believe Polian's hires have mostly been retreads of former HC's.

..Or familiar faces. I don't disagree with you or anyone here but I'm looking at who Polain would consider and could work with at age 72. It's probably a very short list and Reich would be one of the ones.

I'm just trying to view how it could work.

DraftBoy
01-01-2015, 09:03 AM
..Or familiar faces. I don't disagree with you or anyone here but I'm looking at who Polain would consider and could work with at age 72. It's probably a very short list and Reich would be one of the ones.

I'm just trying to view how it could work.

Then he shouldn't have been hired to do this job. I'm not keen on a President of Football Ops who only wants to work/hire friends.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm OK with that based on who it is.

I'd say that the players need to believe in their HC right out of their gate but Marrone was green and they seemed to buy into him so maybe that's crap.

I want the best coach we can get. Players don't buy in they move on.

better days
01-01-2015, 09:14 AM
I would like to see Schwartz made HC & Reich brought in as OC/Assistant HC.

RedEyE
01-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Reich needs more time in coaching. He's probably a great QB coach and to date an OK OC. His Buffalo ties are the only reason he is being mentioned in the media. The other teams looking for HC - prior to the Bills getting added to this pathetic list of teams - Reich wasn't on any other teams radar. I call media BS.

better days
01-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Reich needs more time in coaching. He's probably a great QB coach and to date an OK OC. His Buffalo ties are the only reason he is being mentioned in the media. The other teams looking for HC - prior to the Bills getting added to this pathetic list of teams - Reich wasn't on any other teams radar. I call media BS.

Reports are the Jets were looking at Reich before Marrone quit the Bills.

DraftBoy
01-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Reports are the Jets were looking at Reich before Marrone quit the Bills.

The Jets are not exactly the franchise model I want the Bills to follow.

better days
01-01-2015, 09:37 AM
The Jets are not exactly the franchise model I want the Bills to follow.

I agree, but I was pointing out Reich was on other teams radar.

It was reported some other unnamed teams were interested in Frank as well.

But don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for Reich as HC of the Bills myself.

Night Train
01-01-2015, 09:40 AM

Would have zero problem with that.

Uncle Jesse
01-01-2015, 10:47 AM

Reich would not be able to come here and be the OC. There's no way the Chargers or any team, allow him to interview for a lateral position move. I'm not sure if there is any loop hole to that if he is just the assistant head coach, I doubt it. I'm pretty sure he'd have to be the HC to come to Buffalo, unless he was fired.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-01-2015, 10:54 AM

I am very, very hesitant giving credit to the offensive coach of a Peyton Manning team. Not just because he is so individually talented, but because he so frequently runs the offense from the field. I would be skeptical of Gase for the same reason.

CoolBreeze
01-01-2015, 11:07 AM
I actually think Frank would do a better job, simply because he doesn't have a large ego. He seems to have the best attributes of a leader, which is a calm demeanor and intelligence. I believe that the lack of an ego, will allow him to delegate the responsibilities to assistants. It's not like he's a complete moron. He's played in several offensive systems, and coached in several. I'm sure he has picked up a few things. If he surrounds himself with good coordinators he'll be fine. Reich seems to be a guy that would gladly accept Schwartz remaining as DC.

feldspar
01-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Frank Reich has reached cult hero status in Buffalo because of the Comeback Game.

But the guy only started 10 games in a decade with the Buffalo Bills, and that's including the playoffs. He went 4-4 in the regular season, and 2-0 in the playoffs. He also played the majority of a Dallas Super Bowl after Kelly got hurt, where the Bills were slaughtered.

Polian must really love him, though, because he took him to Carolina in 1995 where Reich started the first three games in that franchise's history (they went 0-3). Reich lasted one year there. He also started 7 games for the Jets and 2 games for Detroit.

But just liking a guy shouldn't be the deciding factor to make him Head Coach. Before this year, Reich has only had experience as Quarterback and WR Coach. He didn't exactly set the world on fire in his ONE year as Offensive Coordinator in San Diego. I don't see anything on his resume that would make him any kind of top candidate for Head Coach at this point in his coaching career. Based on his resume, Bills fans would throw a fit at the mere suggestion of his being the next coach if it weren't for his time in Buffalo, specifically the Comeback Game.

I just think he needs to prove more as a coach before he gets a chance. Talk about intangibles, character, knowledge of the game, leadership qualities, or whatever...but I think he needs to prove more as a coach first.

Night Train
01-02-2015, 09:40 AM
I actually think Frank would do a better job, simply because he doesn't have a large ego. He seems to have the best attributes of a leader, which is a calm demeanor and intelligence. I believe that the lack of an ego, will allow him to delegate the responsibilities to assistants. It's not like he's a complete moron. He's played in several offensive systems, and coached in several. I'm sure he has picked up a few things. If he surrounds himself with good coordinators he'll be fine. Reich seems to be a guy that would gladly accept Schwartz remaining as DC.

Reich doesn't seem like a bad idea, with some quality asst. coaches already here (Schwartz obviously). Now that I read Polian only liked the Bills job if Marrone and Orton were here, I'm glad he's not coming.

Schwartz as HC or DC
Reich as HC or DC

I'd be fine with either. We need QB help and Reich knows that position quite well. The D and ST's need little fine tuning with their outstanding play.

I'll just wait and watch but Polian not coming probably saved us from another 1-2 years of 6-9 wins and no real shot at the playoffs. Maybe the modern game has indeed passed him by.

Marrone and Orton ? Really Bill ?

better days
01-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Reich would not be able to come here and be the OC. There's no way the Chargers or any team, allow him to interview for a lateral position move. I'm not sure if there is any loop hole to that if he is just the assistant head coach, I doubt it. I'm pretty sure he'd have to be the HC to come to Buffalo, unless he was fired.

Depends on their philosophy.

Some teams let their Coaches leave if they want, other teams hold Coaches to their contract.

baalworship
01-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Reich could turn out to be a great head coach. Not enough information at this point other than an apparently a mediocre job calling plays with a great QB. I would pass.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2015, 11:42 AM
He used to wear the colors so he must be awesome at everything he does.

Historian
01-02-2015, 01:01 PM
In his playing days, he was really a coach in uniform.

GingerP
01-02-2015, 01:02 PM
In his playing days, he was really a coach in uniform.

If he were still playing, he would be the starter on this team.