PDA

View Full Version : The best outcome...

coastal
01-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Rex Ryan makes the most sense. He can handle the Pats and has a boatload of experience behind him in a very tough market.

keep Pepper Johnson as our new DC and keep our secondary coach.

hire Trestman as our OC.

good solid football people with long histories of production and success.

we could and have done a lot worse.

X-Era
01-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Best outcome is:

Polian as Czar
Cowher as HC... Polian convinces Cowher it's his team and roster to do with as he pleases and that he's there just for consultation if needed
Schwartz stays as DC
Stud OC

coastal
01-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Best outcome is:

Polian as Czar
Cowher as HC... Polian convinces Cowher it's his team and roster to do with as he pleases and that he's there just for consultation if needed
Schwartz stays as DC
Stud OC
Not sold on Cowher... sell me.

DraftBoy
01-01-2015, 09:59 AM
I'd have no issue with that group. In fact I'd love it.

better days
01-01-2015, 10:02 AM
Rex Ryan makes the most sense. He can handle the Pats and has a boatload of experience behind him in a very tough market.

hire Trestman as our OC.

I would love this outcome as well.

Much as I like Schwartz, I would dump him in a heartbeat for Rex.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-01-2015, 10:03 AM
The only issue I would have is that Rex ran a totally different defense in New York then we did here. I think after all our experimentation and sillyness that we've seen our best defensive football out of the 4 man fronts with aggressive play from the LBs and Safeties. If Rex is willing to stick with what we have here, then sure, but I'm not really eager to do another defensive re-vamp.

X-Era
01-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Not sold on Cowher... sell me.
SB ring with a rookie QB and a stellar defense... Done

Fixxxer
01-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Ryan's pros
our D would be 1 in the league in everything
Players like playing for him, probably only guys on defense
can be entertaining at times

Ryan's cons
Bad clock management
Bad use of timeouts
He make promises he can't keep and talks too much
Inflates the talent of his players, putting his GM in a bad spot
really bad record after bye weeks
he doesn't know how to pick offensive assistants
shows up against high profile teams, plays to the level of the bad ones.
He's buddies with his players
can be annoying at times

YardRat
01-01-2015, 10:07 AM
I want the defense to stay, including the staff.

better days
01-01-2015, 10:08 AM
I want the defense to stay, including the staff.

If Rex is not hired, I do as well.

djjimkelly
01-01-2015, 10:21 AM
the best outcome has already happened

crap coach gone = check

crap qb gone = check

everyone relax its gonna be done right this time sit back and RELAX

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-01-2015, 10:23 AM
well, doesn't ryan run a similar defense as to what pettine does/did. if that's the case, then this would not be a 'new system' per se

cookie G
01-01-2015, 10:28 AM
If you keep Schwartz, we'd have 3 NFL head coaches fired in the past 2 years on staff.

We need to find a position for Mike Smith.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-01-2015, 10:32 AM
well, doesn't ryan run a similar defense as to what pettine does/did. if that's the case, then this would not be a 'new system' per se

It wouldn't be "new" but I don't think it's the best system for this personnel. From what I've seen of Ryan, his best successes have come when he has a transcendent talent in the defensive secondary (Reed, Revis) which frees him to be creative and exotic with the extra player who is freed up. We don't have a player of that caliber on the back end, so I don't know if the scheme he ran in New York is a good fit for us. If he was willing to mold his ideas to our personnel, then sure.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-01-2015, 10:33 AM
If you keep Schwartz, we'd have 3 NFL head coaches fired in the past 2 years on staff.

We need to find a position for Mike Smith.

Just do it like the Joker in Dark Knight. Take all three into a room and leave a broken pool cue. Winner gets to be head coach.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-01-2015, 10:34 AM
It wouldn't be "new" but I don't think it's the best system for this personnel. From what I've seen of Ryan, his best successes have come when he has a transcendent talent in the defensive secondary (Reed, Revis) which frees him to be creative and exotic with the extra player who is freed up. We don't have a player of that caliber on the back end, so I don't know if the scheme he ran in New York is a good fit for us. If he was willing to mold his ideas to our personnel, then sure.

well even though i dog them, I am beginning to believe more in gilmore and mcfumbles. not that they are revis, but not too shabby either

casdhf
01-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Chan OC?

IlluminatusUIUC
01-01-2015, 10:41 AM
well even though i dog them, I am beginning to believe more in gilmore and mcfumbles. not that they are revis, but not too shabby either

They're not bad, but they are not like Reed or Revis where you can effectively give them the assignment of two guys. Reed was fast and smart enough to cover sideline to sideline as a free safety, which loosed the strong safety to wreak havoc. Revis could lock down a team's #1 by himself, letting the safety on the opposite side shade the #2 and again, freeing up a safety. Those guys are getting Canton busts for a reason.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-01-2015, 10:45 AM
The only issue I would have is that Rex ran a totally different defense in New York then we did here. I think after all our experimentation and sillyness that we've seen our best defensive football out of the 4 man fronts with aggressive play from the LBs and Safeties. If Rex is willing to stick with what we have here, then sure, but I'm not really eager to do another defensive re-vamp.

We maybe able to trade one of D lineman for a pick in the draft if we wind up with Rex and go 3-4.

One thing about Rex, good eye for D talent. Revis, Richardson, etc. He had a lot of input on D player draft.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-01-2015, 10:49 AM
We maybe able to trade one of D lineman for a pick in the draft if we wind up with Rex and go 3-4.

One thing about Rex, good eye for D talent. Revis, Richardson, etc. He had a lot of input on D player draft.

Dealing away our quality talent over scheme fit is exactly the situation I don't want.

The Jokeman
01-01-2015, 02:54 PM

hire Trestman as our OC.

I could never see Rex hiring Trestman as his OC.

jamze132
01-01-2015, 05:48 PM
One negative for Rex Ruan is that his teams lacked focus on a consistent basis. That's a sign of not having the attention of your team.

CommissarSpartacus
01-01-2015, 06:57 PM
What's the attraction with Marc Trestman?

He owed his success in the CFL to Anthony Calvillo, a guy who was already a HOF CFL qb when Trestman arrived. He's not a qb guru in any way.

CommissarSpartacus
09-16-2016, 10:31 AM

Snicker...

Turf
09-16-2016, 10:40 AM
The most frustrating part of watching this team is not the talent of the players, because we do have some talented guys. Is that the team looks stupid and mismanaged in so many different ways. This team in no way plays smart football, and it shows on the field. When your coach answers with this that and other thing, you have problems. Just watching the dumb **** they do every week and the smart stuff they don't do every week is uber frustrating. And what's even worse, the owner doesn't see it and doesn't react.
Other teams I see play look disciplined, do little things wisely, are tuned in. The play calling makes sense. Ours make no sense whatsoever. I see teams routinely convert third and long against us. When we're in third and long we give up and don't believe it can be done, and throw a pass underneath that's short. And what's worse, the coaches don't think it can be done. Its just awful from the top down.

CommissarSpartacus
09-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Rex is a buffoon who got lucky with his personnel in Baltimore.

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed could make anyone look like a friggin genius.

swiper
09-16-2016, 12:11 PM
Rex is a buffoon who got lucky with his personnel in Baltimore.

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed could make anyone look like a friggin genius.

And did.