PDA

View Full Version : Marrone & The Pegulas: The Untold Story

Mike
01-01-2015, 03:39 PM
First I want to say that both the Pegulas & Marrone made the right decision. A contract is a contract and to criticize someone for acting on an Agreement is ridiculous! My assessment of Marrone has always been that he was over hired and appeared to be a man of average accuman. He is by no means a game changer!

No onto the Events preceding his Departure:
-> Immediately following the season, Marrone asked for an extension for himself and his coaches. He needed security and was told NO!

-> He was also told that other 'football experts' would be brought on without Marrone having any say in the matter or a preferred audience with ownership.

---> As a direct result of all of the above [no contract extension & organization uncertainty] Marrone decided to opt out of his contract which guarantees him his 2015 salary of $4M.

Clearly:
Pegulas made the right decision in not extending Marrone without doing their own due diligence. They Did Not Owe Him Anything!!! There is no loyalty in this business;) Simply because football is about winning, not about being loyal!

Marrone also made the right decision by opting out. The Bills refused to show him loyalty by extending the contract so why should he be loyal? His salary was guaranteed plus he is now a desirable HC.

Links:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2308254-doug-marrone-opts-out-of-bills-contract-latest-details-comments-and-reaction

Tim Graham via Twitter
"League source: Marrone asked Pegulas for an extension and was told no. He then asked for extensions for his assistants and was told no." @ByTimGraham

Buddo
01-01-2015, 04:57 PM
First I want to say that both the Pegulas & Marrone made the right decision. A contract is a contract and to criticize someone for acting on an Agreement is ridiculous! My assessment of Marrone has always been that he was over hired and appeared to be a man of average accuman. He is by no means a game changer!

No onto the Events preceding his Departure:
-> Immediately following the season, Marrone asked for an extension for himself and his coaches. He needed security and was told NO!

-> He was also told that other 'football experts' would be brought on without Marrone having any say in the matter or a preferred audience with ownership.

---> As a direct result of all of the above [no contract extension & organization uncertainty] Marrone decided to opt out of his contract which guarantees him his 2015 salary of $4M.

Clearly:
Pegulas made the right decision in not extending Marrone without doing their own due diligence. They Did Not Owe Him Anything!!! There is no loyalty in this business;) Simply because football is about winning, not about being loyal!

Marrone also made the right decision by opting out. The Bills refused to show him loyalty by extending the contract so why should he be loyal? His salary was guaranteed plus he is now a desirable HC.

Links:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2308254-doug-marrone-opts-out-of-bills-contract-latest-details-comments-and-reaction

Tim Graham via Twitter
"League source: Marrone asked Pegulas for an extension and was told no. He then asked for extensions for his assistants and was told no." @ByTimGraham

I understand where you are coming from with this, but the fact is that Marrone did have 2 years left on his deal. If the Pegulas decided to can him, he'd apparently get both years salary, not just the one year he's getting now, by opting out. He simply didn't need an extension now, and I for one, don't believe he deserved one either, at least not just yet. He could have got one after a repeat season of a winning record, and getting to the playoffs, and he would have still had another year to go on his deal. He wasn't even in 'lame duck' territory.

I think there's a lot of BS involved in all of this, and much of it will be coming from Marrone's 'camp'.

I honestly think he bottled it, in part because Orton decided to call it a day, and in part because he doesn't think EJ can cut it. Imho, if the truth be told, he chickened out of trying to repeat this season, without a QB he liked, already on the roster. Yet that would have been the right way to go about things, and would have almost certainly got him what he wanted, eventually.

He was also probably told by his agent, that he would get good looks from a number of teams, if he was to become available.

It's funny really, but just about every guy that Whaley picks for the D, turns out pretty well generally, yet Marrone can't make anything out of guys he's given on offense.

bdutton
01-01-2015, 05:32 PM
I honestly think he bottled it, in part because Orton decided to call it a day, and in part because he doesn't think EJ can cut it. Imho, if the truth be told, he chickened out of trying to repeat this season, without a QB he liked, already on the roster. Yet that would have been the right way to go about things, and would have almost certainly got him what he wanted, eventually.

He was also probably told by his agent, that he would get good looks from a number of teams, if he was to become available.

Quality post.

Marrone knew he couldn't repeat a winning season with EJ or another retread as QB. If he didn't repeat, he'd be out of a job at the end of next season.

This way, he has a great shot at landing another job as HC on another team with better QB (Oak, Atl, Chi) and will have a 4 year security blanket when he does... plus the $5m he walked away with yesterday.

For him, win/win.

swiper
01-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Quality post.

Marrone knew he couldn't repeat a winning season with EJ or another retread as QB. If he didn't repeat, he'd be out of a job at the end of next season.

This way, he has a great shot at landing another job as HC on another team with better QB (Oak, Atl, Chi) and will have a 4 year security blanket when he does... plus the $5m he walked away with yesterday.

For him, win/win.he

He's going to get his offer from the Jets. He was born in the Bronx. If EJ Manuel has ANYTHING to do with it, WHY would he sign with the Jets. He only opted out because (somehow) knew he would have a job (with the Jets).

WagonCircler
01-01-2015, 05:52 PM
If EJ Manuel has ANYTHING to do with it, WHY would he sign with the Jets. He only opted out because (somehow) knew he would have a job (with the Jets).

Well, let's see....

Could it be that next year he will get $4 MIL from the Bills and $5 MIL from the Jets, concurrently?

AND the Jets have a high draft choice, unlike the Bills, that they can turn into a QB.

djjimkelly
01-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Well, let's see....

Could it be that next year he will get $4 MIL from the Bills and $5 MIL from the Jets, concurrently?

AND the Jets have a high draft choice, unlike the Bills, that they can turn into a QB.

yeah that high draft can be jameis winston lol GL MARRONY

ghz in pittsburgh
01-01-2015, 06:57 PM
It's funny really, but just about every guy that Whaley picks for the D, turns out pretty well generally, yet Marrone can't make anything out of guys he's given on offense.

Whaley has a reputation scouting defensive players prior to coming to Buffalo. Polamalu, Woodley, Hampton to name a few.

The other area Steelers have drafted well is WR, but not much were credited to Whaley. They lucked out to Roethlisberger after they were all set to draft some lineman when Rooney steered the conversation to Roethlisberger on draft day.

By the way, did you notice how well the Steelers drafted on defense after Whaley left? Look their D now.

CommissarSpartacus
01-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Any owner or GM that thinks Marrone is a desirable HC is an idiot.

justasportsfan
01-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Marrone is still a quitter. All that talk about how he understands the fans in the region is bull crap. I hope he never succeeds in any coaching job in the future. If he had any confidence in himself and his boy Hackett turning things around, he shouldve proven himself next season.

I guess he was insecure that the O which was his supposed expertise might not be going anywhere. He knew Scwartzs unit was responsible for the 9-7

Don't Panic
01-01-2015, 07:29 PM
I understand where you are coming from with this, but the fact is that Marrone did have 2 years left on his deal. If the Pegulas decided to can him, he'd apparently get both years salary, not just the one year he's getting now, by opting out. He simply didn't need an extension now, and I for one, don't believe he deserved one either, at least not just yet. He could have got one after a repeat season of a winning record, and getting to the playoffs, and he would have still had another year to go on his deal. He wasn't even in 'lame duck' territory.

I think there's a lot of BS involved in all of this, and much of it will be coming from Marrone's 'camp'.

best post I've seen since the fit hit the shan Monday morning.

Historian
01-02-2015, 07:39 AM
Any owner or GM that thinks Marrone is a desirable HC is an idiot.

I don't know that I would go that far, but I think most would have to admit that he is still an unknown commodity.

If the Jets think he is going to go in and clean up their dysfunctional mess, they're dreaming.

Typ0
01-02-2015, 07:47 AM
He did it for the money. He can go get another job and three year contract for $15M and pocket the $4M. Hell he might even return to college and make more $$$ if the offer is there.

justasportsfan
01-02-2015, 07:50 AM
I despise Marrone more than I do BB.

better days
01-02-2015, 07:57 AM
I don't know that I would go that far, but I think most would have to admit that he is still an unknown commodity.

If the Jets think he is going to go in and clean up their dysfunctional mess, they're dreaming.

Well, there is no doubt judging from Bills players tweets that Marrone has damaged his reputation by QUITTING on the team.

In the future Marrone is going to have a tough time selling his mantra "We are in this together & winning is the only thing that matters" to his new team.

Bill Cody
01-02-2015, 07:59 AM
I despise Marrone more than I do BB.

He feels your hatred but his bank statement is due in two weeks so he's dealing with it

GvilleBills
01-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Well, there is no doubt judging from Bills players tweets that Marrone has damaged his reputation by QUITTING on the team.

In the future Marrone is going to have a tough time selling his mantra "We are in this together & winning is the only thing that matters" to his new team.

He would be better served going with the Randy Moss mantra: "straight cash, homie."

justasportsfan
01-02-2015, 04:26 PM
He feels your hatred but his bank statement is due in two weeks so he's dealing with it

I have mo money than Pagula.

better days
01-02-2015, 07:05 PM
yeah that high draft can be jameis winston lol GL MARRONY

Yeah, Marrone & Winston should get along GREAT.

I doubt Marrone would ever let Winston see the field.