• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Dumb question?

If agents share clients are they not prohibited by law from discussing contracts or even negotiations with other clients of theirs?

Does it not fall into something like attorney client privilege?

I mean there are laws around realty offers and contracts. There are laws around attorney client privilege which I would think would involve negotiations... Does the same apply here?

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Dumb question?

Jimmy Sexton is the agent of Marrone, Schwartz, and Rex Ryan. If he's trying to move people around for financial gain on the sly (telling Marrone the Jets want him 2 days ago, while still under contract to Buffalo ), he and Jets owner Woody Johnson will be checked out.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DesertFox24
      • Jul 2005

The contracts are sent to league office and can be viewed by other teams.

That being said you are correct the agent has a fiduciary responsibility to inform their client of all possibilities.

They also cannot share negotiations between teams or are not supposed too.

Comment

• DesertFox24
        • Jul 2005

Anyone made at the agent should not be and I bet the out clause is normal. Problem is how often do teams get sold. Last two times t happened parcels quit Miami and jack del rio in jax had no options and they sucked so he stayed. Then got fired next season

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

What do the Bills get if there was tampering? The Jets 1st round pick? That would be awesome and well worth losing any coach.

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

Proving tampering will be next to impossible

Comment

• DesertFox24
              • Jul 2005

I don't think we get anything I think they get fined but would love their pick would be huge

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                Anyone made at the agent should not be and I bet the out clause is normal. Problem is how often do teams get sold. Last two times t happened parcels quit Miami and jack del rio in jax had no options and they sucked so he stayed. Then got fired next season
                The question is whether an agent can legally discuss one clients negotiations with another one of his clients...

If Marrone and Rex Ryan have the same agent can that agent share the information between both parties? Contract negotiations? Or if Schefter also has Marrones agent can the agent share unofficial info with Schefter?

Comment

• DesertFox24
                  • Jul 2005

To answer your question no they should not. However in the NFL the contracts are sent to league office and can be reviewed by other teams.

In real world if you and I had some lawyer accountant rep agent the no they cannot tell me your deal.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                    To answer your question no they should not. However in the NFL the contracts are sent to league office and can be reviewed by other teams.

In real world if you and I had some lawyer accountant rep agent the no they cannot tell me your deal.
                    Are agents lawyers? Are do they have negotiation laws like real estate agents?

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                      Are agents lawyers? Are do they have negotiation laws like real estate agents?

im pretty sure the answer to your first question is yes. But I'm not sure of the second
                      I came.
                      I saw.
                      I conquered.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                        • Jul 2005

You don't have to be a lawyer but most of them are lawyers. You do have to be licensed.

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                          What do the Bills get if there was tampering?
                          Two tickets to paradise.

Comment

Working...
                          X