PDA

View Full Version : Rooney Rule

X-Era
01-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Time for Rooney Rule discussion because it wouldn't be a Bills off-season without it.

Do you have to meet the Rooney Rule if you promote internally? Thinking about what it takes to promote Schwartz

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 07:24 AM
I believe that the Rooney Rule is all encompassing, so yes.

The King
01-02-2015, 07:29 AM
I think this rule is so out-dated.

RedEyE
01-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Incredibly out dated. To me it exposes a man for his skin color rather than offer him an opportunity. I don't think there is an owner in the league that wouldn't hire a black guy for being black. Owners are in it to win it and rake in money.

The King
01-02-2015, 07:59 AM
It's like reverse racism. We're interviewing you because we have to. We've already made up our mind on who we want but we have to bring you in hear for the hell of it.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-02-2015, 08:03 AM
as a black man, i find the rooney rule stupid, offensive, and demeaning to black people. i f***ing hate it. In case I wasn't clear. i don't like it. lol

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Who's going to be the token black guy who gets interviewed by 10 teams this offseason and doesn't receive a single offer

Albany,n.y.
01-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Bowles & Hamilton are legitimate candidates who the Bills should interview. If they want to hire a current OC for HC, they could do good by putting a Pep in their step.

casdhf
01-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Does it count if the Black guy is doing the interview?

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Who's going to be the token black guy who gets interviewed by 10 teams this offseason and doesn't receive a single offer
I remember Ted Cottrell was that guy back in the days.

stuckincincy
01-02-2015, 01:06 PM
When applying for a job - on that form that they claim has no effect on your chances - always check "Other."

Heed a voice of experience...

Historian
01-02-2015, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry, I need a Meathead ruling on this one....

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Do they at least compensate these guys for wasting their time?

The King
01-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Does it count if the Black guy is doing the interview?
Mind Blown!

Historian
01-06-2015, 06:50 AM
I'm sorry, I need a Meathead ruling on this one....

Oh Halllllllberttttttttt...

sukie
01-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Bring this guy in... Lotsa cameras...

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/f/f6/Crackhead.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width/200?cb=20090813053825

give him a lockerroom tour (especially the showers)... throw him a fin and then bring in Billick.

jimmifli
01-06-2015, 07:16 PM
It's easy to say the rule is outdated. But don't forget this guy owned a professional sports franchise until very recently:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wUOhPmHyIhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And I can't mention Donald Sterling without sharing this:

http://i.imgur.com/lZ8Yddk.jpg

DynaPaul
01-07-2015, 06:42 AM
I think it's outdated as well. NFL owners want a guy who can run a winning program, they could care less what color he is.

chernobylwraiths
01-07-2015, 06:47 AM
So, is it outdated because people don't feel there is racism in sports regarding coaches/upper management or because an owner should be able to hire whoever the hell he wants?

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-07-2015, 10:06 AM
So, is it outdated because people don't feel there is racism in sports regarding coaches/upper management or because an owner should be able to hire whoever the hell he wants?

if i spend 1.4 billion dollars for something, i should be able to interview and hire whoever i want for whatever i want is my opinion anyway.

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2015, 10:13 AM
So who's the token minority we've interviewed already?

By the way, I'm spreading the word that I'd be happy to be the token minority candidate for any interested NFL teams. I don't mind not ever getting the job, nor do I require any fees. Just fly me out to your facility and let me expense one night of hotel and meals and rental car. That's all I'm asking.

Has your team already chosen a white coach but is in a jam for satisfying the Rooney Rule? Give me a call!

chernobylwraiths
01-07-2015, 10:21 AM
if i spend 1.4 billion dollars for something, i should be able to interview and hire whoever i want for whatever i want is my opinion anyway.

So, entitlement then.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-07-2015, 10:40 AM
So, entitlement then.

if you want to make it sound like an ugly thing, be my guest.

notacon
01-07-2015, 04:23 PM
It's not outdated at all. Racism (overt and not so overt) is strong with the right wing, and almost all sports team owners are right wing.

You do the math.

WagonCircler
01-07-2015, 04:28 PM
It's not outdated at all. Racism (overt and not so overt) is strong with the right wing, and almost all sports team owners are right wing.

You do the math.

Anyone have a box of tissues for the victim?

Cry me a river, *********.

swiper
01-07-2015, 05:02 PM

You do the math.

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/18/is-your-nfl-team-republican-or-democrat/

swiper
01-07-2015, 05:08 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-romney-donations-nfl-contributions-woody-johnson-2012-9?op=1

DraftBoy
01-07-2015, 05:42 PM

Even with political contributions Ralph was cheap.

notacon
01-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Anyone have a box of tissues for the victim?

Cry me a river, *********.

What...did I hurt the feeling of a right winger?!?!? :rofl:

notacon
01-07-2015, 06:49 PM

Michelle Malkin?!? Oh, Jesus. The shrill ***** of right wingers. Anyone who reads her crap is a moron.

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-romney-donations-nfl-contributions-woody-johnson-2012-9?op=1

What is your point? Right wingers belong to both parties although almost all Republicans are right wingers. And since racism runs deep with right wingers....even wing nuts like you can do the math.

Besides...donating money to a politician does not reveal anything about what ideology one believes in.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Michelle Malkin?!? Oh, Jesus. The shrill ***** of right wingers. Anyone who reads her crap is a moron.

What is your point? Right wingers belong to both parties although almost all Republicans are right wingers. And since racism runs deep with right wingers....even wing nuts like you can do the math.

Besides...donating money to a politician does not reveal anything about what ideology one believes in.

extremely ignorant thing to say. Liberals are the ones who want to give special hand outs to minorities because they believe that we are not capable of doing anything by ourselves. so who's more racist? the person that says 'you're the same as me. go get your own sh**. i believe you're capable on your own' or the lefty that says 'oh you poor minority. you can't do anything without the patronage of us liberal white elites.'

notacon
01-07-2015, 08:02 PM
extremely ignorant thing to say. Liberals are the ones who want to give special hand outs to minorities because they believe that we are not capable of doing anything by ourselves. so who's more racist? the person that says 'you're the same as me. go get your own sh**. i believe you're capable on your own' or the lefty that says 'oh you poor minority. you can't do anything without the patronage of us liberal white elites.'

:rofl: What makes you think that "liberals" distinguish between "minorities" (I would assume you mean blacks) and white people in need getting assistance???

The overwhelming majority of people receiving government assistance, of ALL types, are white people.

Do you get mommy employer supplied health insurance? If so, you are getting a HUGE "hand-out" from people like me, that are buying health insurance on the open market.

You have revealed your right wing ignorance. Nothing new.

Oh...you are also reveling your prejudice when you think that "handouts" just go to "minorities" or mainly go to "minorities". The FACT is that white people receive much more in "handouts" than "minorities".

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-07-2015, 08:50 PM
:rofl: What makes you think that "liberals" distinguish between "minorities" (I would assume you mean blacks) and white people in need getting assistance???

The overwhelming majority of people receiving government assistance, of ALL types, are white people.

Do you get mommy employer supplied health insurance? If so, you are getting a HUGE "hand-out" from people like me, that are buying health insurance on the open market.

You have revealed your right wing ignorance. Nothing new.

Oh...you are also reveling your prejudice when you think that "handouts" just go to "minorities" or mainly go to "minorities". The FACT is that white people receive much more in "handouts" than "minorities".

nice. The whole Crux of the argument was that minorities do not need special treatment when it comes to interviewing for nfl jobs. Nobody should.

Of course I know that whites receive more handouts than minorities. Of course they do. They are still the majority population. But that's not the point of this whole argument.

you are yourself revealing your ignorance with statements that you are making about health insurance,, and my biases etc. you have no idea what I do for a living and you clearly have no idea what my race is.

upstart
01-07-2015, 08:54 PM
I believe that the Rooney Rule is all encompassing, so yes.

How many "Rooney Rule" teams are still in the playoffs today, what is the record of the "Rooney Rule" ?

swiper
01-08-2015, 04:23 AM

You are wrong again. While my political leanings are slightly to the left, you look like the idiot that you are.

DraftBoy
01-08-2015, 05:13 AM
How many "Rooney Rule" teams are still in the playoffs today, what is the record of the "Rooney Rule" ?

Well that would be every team in the playoffs...

notacon
01-08-2015, 10:48 AM
You are wrong again. While my political leanings are slightly to the left, you look like the idiot that you are.

Well...I can only go by what you write on this board, and the material you present to bolster an argument.

Michelle Malkin is one of the worst of a large quantity of unhinged right wing screechers. Anyone who reads her slime, and certainly presenting on a discussion board to bolster a point, is immediately suspect as sharing here wing nut viewpoints.

Also, your link that tried desperately to counter my assertion that the most NFL owners are conservatives was also fairly simple minded rubbish because it gave an irrelevant metric.

So...if your political leanings are indeed "slightly to the left", then those would be reflected in your posts. It is not.

But, I do apologize if I misconstrued your political leans by actually reading what you present.

notacon
01-08-2015, 11:43 AM
nice. The whole Crux of the argument was that minorities do not need special treatment when it comes to interviewing for nfl jobs. Nobody should.

Of course I know that whites receive more handouts than minorities. Of course they do. They are still the majority population. But that's not the point of this whole argument.

you are yourself revealing your ignorance with statements that you are making about health insurance,, and my biases etc. you have no idea what I do for a living and you clearly have no idea what my race is.

Now you are trying to mix two different discussions. I was responding to your post where you said...

That was not a comment on the Romney rule in the least. It was an unwarranted attack on the motivations of "liberals" with several sloppy misrepresentations.

When you are talking about "minorities" are you talking about Jews? They are a minority in this country. How about Chinese? Native Americans? Latinos? Muslims? Gay people? Atheists?

I can only suppose that you are talking about blacks, or African Americans. In that generalization that you attempt to use, is completely false.

You say now "Of course I know that whites receive more handouts than minorities. Of course they do."...then why did you not say originally....

'Liberals are the ones who want to give special hand outs to white people because they believe that they are not capable of doing anything by themselves.'

No, I do not know your situation, and your race is irrelevant to this discussion. Do you not think that black people are sometimes guilty of prejudice??? Even against their own race?? I read statements like yours, and that is the only conclusion I can make...and I stand by my observation.

I asked a question as to whether you received mommy employer provided health insurance. It was simple question to get to know your situation. My point, of course, is completely logical. ALL Americans receive "handouts" of one sort or another from the government. The VAST majority of "handouts" go to white affluent Americans. This is a FACT!

It is YOU that put forth the absurd premise that "liberals" (whatever that means....I have been called everything in the book on this site from "lefty" to "liberal" to "radical" to "conservative" to "Republican" and everything in between) want to give "special handouts" (I have NO IDEA what that means....are you talking about Farm Subsidies where large corporations, mainly owned by white shareholders, receive large checks from the government for doing nothing?....or are you talking about the $200 BILLION in yearly "handouts" paid to 67% of the American population to anyone who receives mommy employer supplied health insurance where the "payment" goes UP the higher paid one is and the more expensive the policy costs?) to "minorities" (again...what "minority" are you talking about? Billionaire white guys?...they are a "minority") "because they believe that we" (what "minority" are you if you are making this personal?) "are not capable of doing anything by ourselves"???

I totally disagree with this totally FALSE and inflammatory statement of "liberals" motivation. And I have NO IDEA how that makes ANY logical sense since the "liberal" side of me supports a strong safety net that is established the MAJORITY goes to WHITE people???

Your total lack of logic is simple to explain since I have heard it many times on the right wing side of the world. It is a common belief by conservatives that is totally FALSE and really, illogical and fairly ignorant to the extreme.

Then you go one with more ridiculous illogical clap trap that has no basis in truth or reality.

Now, on to the Romney Rule. Here you are now saying that the " whole Crux of the argument was that minorities do not need special treatment when it comes to interviewing for nfl jobs. Nobody should".

Again, you are looking at this is a most illogical way. there is no "special treatment" since all the "rule" says is that at least one black candidate needs to be included in interviews for any HC opening.

All this does is ensure EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, which is obvious did not exist before the rule.

Black NFL Coaches and The End of the Romney Rule? (http://uptownmagazine.com/2014/01/black-nfl-coaches-end-rooney-rule/)

This NFL season you could count on one hand the number of black coaches – Marvin Lewis(Cincinnati Bengals), Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers) and Leslie Frazier (Minnesota Vikings). Since the conclusion of the NFL regular season Leslie Frazier has been fired and the fate of Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin remain in limbo (although both are expected to return). While the percentage of black NFL players currently hovers around 70%, the corresponding percentage of black NFL coaches currently hovers around 6%. These disproportionate percentages begs the question – Does the NFL do enough to ensure diversity among its coaching staff? In other words, does the Rooney Rule actually work?

The Rooney Rule was enacted in 2003 after an organization of sports activists and their attorneys, including the late Johnnie Cochran Jr., threatened employment discrimination lawsuits over head football coach selection decisions. Facing the threat of a lawsuit, the NFL entered into negotiations with Cochran and other groups, eventually creating a Workplace Diversity Committee, chaired by Dan Rooney. The League ultimately agreed that owners would be required to interview at least one minority candidate for vacant head coaching positions. At the time the Rule was enacted only 6% of the head coaches in the NFL were black. By 2006, just three years after the Rule’s enactment, 22% of coaches in the league were black and by 2011 the percentage of black coaches peaked at 25%. Since 2011, these percentages have dropped precipitously.

The FACT that the NFL has 70% black players but, in 2003 when the rule was first installed had 6% of the HC being black, and even today, after some increases in black NFL coaches, still hovers around 6%.

All the Romney Rule does is expose the all white NFL owners club to qualified black coaches in the hope that some relationships will be formed, and better consideration would be given to those otherwise very qualified candidates, who before the rule, may have never even been considered.

Why? Because the NFL is an organization that is steeped in tradition and bias. Black players, who did not play in the NFL as late as the 1940's, were always considered in a racist manner, as in "black players don't belong in the NFL" (we saw the same bias in Major League Baseball where that league was 100% white in early 1947).

This trend was broken because owners eventually recognized that it was in their better interests to bring talented black players into the big leagues....despite widespread opposition that festered for decades. Also they were pushed by federal legislation that barred overt discrimination. I am confident that without these laws the discrimination today would be much worse.

This transition was eased by the indisputable value of black player talent that was easy to quantify because performance is easily measured. But, the lingering bias of racism still had NFL QB's overwhelming white for many decades more. Why? Because all the way down to the high school level, black football players were not encouraged to play that position because many white coaches thought they were not intellectually capable to play that position. Very much the norm in colleges was to convert black QB's from HS into other positions. This bias was prevent in the college ranks, which naturally followed the NFL.

The first black NFL QB was Fritz Pollard, who did play in the early years of the NFL from 1920 to 1933. But, in 1934 an "informal ban" on black athletes in the NFL lasted until 1946.

Amazingly enough, team such as the NY Giants, never had a black QB throw a single pass before 2007 (http://www.footballperspective.com/the-history-of-black-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl/).

The NFL, and most professional sports, even after integration started in the 50's, was largely headed up by whites where blacks were relegated as players, but only for positions the white guys thought the "inferior" blacks could handle. Smacks of the plantation to me.

With the rise of black integration in white society spurred by the Civil Right Movement of the 60's, professional sports has always been behind the overall societal trends. Evidence of this is that the Romney Rule was not even instituted until this century.

You can certainly hold an opinion of the motivation of this rule as negative. I don't agree in the least. There are very real biases and racism that is very prevalent in our society. As a "liberal" concerning civil rights, I see these meager efforts as the first step in striving for a truly equal opportunity society, where rules like this are not necessary. The fact that 70% of talented blacks are players, and their talent has made the NFL what it is today, would lead to a natural increase in NFL coaches since all of those players have the same capability to be as successful as any white is the time to rid the NFL of even the need for such a rule.

Unfortunately, the facts show otherwise.

Historian
01-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Meathead....would you please set these gentlemen straight?

Mr. Miyagi
01-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Well that would be every team in the playoffs...
BOOM!

notacon
01-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Meathead....would you please set these gentlemen straight?

:rofl: The last person in he world who could do that concerning race.