PDA

View Full Version : As the wagon turns...

X-Era
01-02-2015, 07:51 AM
So Polian is a no.

Pegula tells Whaley what then? You're the guy again? And then tells Brandon he's now strictly on the business side again...

Which means Whaley is in charge of the whole operation... Just after we went hard after having a guy come in from the outside to oversee him...

Pegula was weary of our operation, struck out on a legit football guy to oversee, but now gives Whaley the keys to the whole operation?

And so Whaley is now making the call on the next HC?

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 07:54 AM
There are still some football people left out there he could bring in. Also if Cole is right then Whaley and Brandon are still under review and could be gone as well.

I just hope that Pegula makes a decision quickly. We don't need this dragging out.

coastal
01-02-2015, 07:58 AM
So Polian is a no.

Pegula tells Whaley what then? You're the guy again? And then tells Brandon he's now strictly on the business side again...

Which means Whaley is in charge of the whole operation... Just after we went hard after having a guy come in from the outside to oversee him...

Pegula was weary of our operation, struck out on a legit football guy to oversee, but now gives Whaley the keys to the whole operation?

And so Whaley is now making the call on the next HC?
That's basically what I said in one of the HC rumor threads.

who is doing the interviewing?

whaley? After he's received the message that he's basically not trusted enough to be a stand alone GM?

Same thing with Brandon... he's been pushed aside. Hopefully he's pushed on out soon, but as of now there's a void in leadership. Whether it's good or bad leadership is immaterial at this point.

handing it back to Whaley because of the events from past couple of days is a non-starter IMO. The first step IMO has to be a President of Football Ops or Whaley's removal and the hiring a legit GM.

Hiring a a coach whether Whaley does it as the defacto football manager or Pegs does it with or without Whaley is really a mgmt recipe of disaster at this point.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-02-2015, 08:07 AM
I know Whaley isn't perfect, but i do not get the Whaley hate. no GM makes 100% correct calls. He has done much more overall good than bad in my opinion. But yes, his two glaring mistakes are EJ, then doubling down on EJ.

However, I cannot state this enough. If Nix had properly addressed the QB situation in the previous 2 years, then Whaley wouldn't have been 'forced' to pull the trigger and over reach on EJ. But, because he actually did trade DOWN and got EJ, we picked up Woods AND kiko in the next round.

Basically what i am saying is it is not all that bad.

cookie G
01-02-2015, 08:33 AM
I know Whaley isn't perfect, but i do not get the Whaley hate. no GM makes 100% correct calls. He has done much more overall good than bad in my opinion. But yes, his two glaring mistakes are EJ, then doubling down on EJ.

However, I cannot state this enough. If Nix had properly addressed the QB situation in the previous 2 years, then Whaley wouldn't have been 'forced' to pull the trigger and over reach on EJ. But, because he actually did trade DOWN and got EJ, we picked up Woods AND kiko in the next round.

Basically what i am saying is it is not all that bad.

I agree with a great deal of this. I don't know how much I blame him for the EJ pick.

You're right...Buddy chose not to address it for years, as did the Levy-Jauron duo before that. They were at the point where they had to pick someone, anyone.

He took the guy with the most upside.

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Agreed with the two above. I like Whaley a lot and think if we bring in a football ops guy he needs to be firmly in Whaley's corner.

Historian
01-02-2015, 08:37 AM
What happened to all the Accorsi et al rumors?

Dmoney
01-02-2015, 08:41 AM
I only have a few posts here, but am a longtime member of another board that many of you frequent. I am 42 years old, and have to say this.

I DO NOT know what to think....I am almost numb. I DO NOT have a clue. I'm pissed, I'm excited, I'm lost, I'm hopeful....Please HELP ME

X-Era
01-02-2015, 08:41 AM
Agreed with the two above. I like Whaley a lot and think if we bring in a football ops guy he needs to be firmly in Whaley's corner.Agreed. I don't think Polian would have come in and put Whaley under his thumb. I think Pegula just wants stability with someone with more experience. I think everyone likes Whaley and wants him here.

But, Pegula showed his hand and showed he has wavering confidence in Whaley. And now is letting him run the Football side... Whaley's confidence may be unsteady right now.

I want Whaley to stay. I love the moving around last year with trades. Make waves, be risky. I like it. And I like the job he's done overall.

I wouldn't mind a Czar with a pedigree to help set direction. But only if it easily meshes with Whaley.

And if not, go get a guy like Cowher and let him run the football side "with" Whaley...

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2015, 08:43 AM
The Marrone opt out clause should've gotten Russ fired already. Not so much the 3 day window, but the 4 million dollars would infuriate me if I was Pegula.

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 08:44 AM

Arcosi is consulting with Chicago on their GM/HC search.

coastal
01-02-2015, 08:44 AM
What's Tony Dungy doing these days?

OpIv37
01-02-2015, 08:48 AM
The wagon is turning, in the sense that it is doing barrel rolls down the side of a ravine....

Whaley took a gamble on EJ Manuel. He doubled down by drafting Watkins because he a) assumed EJ would be good enough to make Watkins useful and b) traded away our best chance to replace EJ.

He stuck us with a starter who wasn't even in the roster for a single preseason game and left after one season, despite a winning record.

And Whaley did put together a great D, but it is being squandered because of utter incompetence on the offensive side of the ball.

I just don't see any way to justify keeping him.

And don't even get me started with Brandon. Russ = Ralph. Nothing will change as long as he still has his bloody hands on the controls.

cookie G
01-02-2015, 08:49 AM

a talking head on one of the football talk shows. Sunday night football i think.

He was instrumental in getting Carrie Underwood as the new theme song singer.

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 08:53 AM

Working for NBC.

Mace
01-02-2015, 09:18 AM
There are still some football people left out there he could bring in. Also if Cole is right then Whaley and Brandon are still under review and could be gone as well.

I just hope that Pegula makes a decision quickly. We don't need this dragging out.

Who though (honestly, give me some hope) ?

As I mentioned in another thread, Holmgren, Accorsi, and Wolf were the 3 potentials purported promptly when Pegulas passionately purchased, promising proactive progress. (haha)

Anyway, there's Holmgren (bad, imho) left that I know of, because the Pegula's dawdled, moving at the leisurely pace of hockey owners over the course of a hockey season, then went all in for no reason I can understand on Polian.

Learning experience sure, but it kind of strikes me they were startled when everything quickly ended and started moving fast.....Um....Polian !......Um....uh oh.

So seriously who is left in terms of potential czar besides Holmgren ?

Historian
01-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Pat LaFontaine?

:couch:

coastal
01-02-2015, 09:26 AM
a talking head on one of the football talk shows. Sunday night football i think.

He was instrumental in getting Carrie Underwood as the new theme song singer.just read a rumor about the Lions having an interest in him.

Historian
01-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Seriously though....what about Cowher for Czar?

WagonCircler
01-02-2015, 09:28 AM

I like Cowher, but I think the Football Czar needs to be a successful executive (FOOTBALL executive, with a personnel background). It's an entirely different job, as Marv Levy quickly found out.

cookie G
01-02-2015, 09:32 AM
just read a rumor about the Lions having an interest in him.

Will he bring Carrie Underwood with him?

I prefer Pink!

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Who though (honestly, give me some hope) ?

As I mentioned in another thread, Holmgren, Accorsi, and Wolf were the 3 potentials purported promptly when Pegulas passionately purchased, promising proactive progress. (haha)

Anyway, there's Holmgren (bad, imho) left that I know of, because the Pegula's dawdled, moving at the leisurely pace of hockey owners over the course of a hockey season, then went all in for no reason I can understand on Polian.

Learning experience sure, but it kind of strikes me they were startled when everything quickly ended and started moving fast.....Um....Polian !......Um....uh oh.

So seriously who is left in terms of potential czar besides Holmgren ?

Tom Donahoe, Mike Lombardi (Assistant to Pats), Mark Dominik, Tom Heckert, Jeff Ireland, Mike Tannenbaum, Brian Xanders, Scott McCloughan are some other names to watch/consider but all have warts to be weary of as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Does he really have the player personnel acumen to work in the front office?

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Tom Donahoe, Mike Lombardi (Assistant to Pats), Mark Dominik, Tom Heckert, Jeff Ireland, Mike Tannenbaum, Brian Xanders, Scott McCloughan are some other names to watch/consider but all have warts to be weary of as well.

- - - Updated - - -

i highly doubt donahoe would ever come back here, and given his track record here, that would be the last name i would want to see here as well

Mace
01-02-2015, 09:44 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of warts there and not really any czar guys.

And I asked you to give me hope. You made me weep without shame. McCloughan is the best of that bunch and his background is scouting not organizational remodeling.

There has to be someone out there under the radar but I have this bad Holmgren feeling.

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 09:44 AM
i highly doubt donahoe would ever come back here, and given his track record here, that would be the last name i would want to see here as well

I'm not saying any of them are viable candidate or that I want any of them, just listing the names I could recall.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-02-2015, 09:45 AM
I'm not saying any of them are viable candidate or that I want any of them, just listing the names I could recall.

understood. but just seeing that name gives me the cold chills.

Mace
01-02-2015, 10:04 AM
3 potentials purported promptly when Pegulas passionately purchased, promising proactive progress.

Pensively pondering Polian, perhaps if a pack of Pegulas picked a peck of prime pickled peppers, Polian professes preferring premium peppers passionately, Pegulas will positively press Polians past princely pretensions paring poor paupers from the pool of personnel possibilities proactively.

Just throwing it out there.

Dr. Who
01-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Pensively pondering Polian, perhaps if a pack of Pegulas picked a peck of prime pickled peppers, Polian professes preferring premium peppers passionately, Pegulas will positively press Polians past princely pretensions paring poor paupers from the pool of personnel possibilities proactively.

Just throwing it out there.

Say that three times fast . . . nice alliteration.

BertSquirtgum
01-02-2015, 10:09 AM
What is with all the people who are disappointed that old man magoo isn't coming here? We shouldn't be trying to bring great things back from the past again. Build it right and make it last.

The Jokeman
01-02-2015, 10:30 AM

Accorsi went to Chicago. Yet I think Polian was the guy we planned on taking on the role but he rebuffed it when the coach and QB left because he doesn't want to take on that responsibility.

Historian
01-02-2015, 10:46 AM
I guess what bothers me the most about the whole thing, is that we finally put together a semi-decent team, and it's still a cluster**** at One Bills Drive.

Just once I would like to see this **** happen to New England....or Dallas.

The Jokeman
01-02-2015, 10:50 AM
I guess what bothers me the most about the whole thing, is that we finally put together a semi-decent team, and it's still a cluster**** at One Bills Drive.

It won't happen to New England or Dallas because they have responsible owners. I rank Kraft and Jones as two of the league's best. Kraft higher since he lets his football guys make football decisions whereas Jones thinks he knows football but I question that with some of the drafting he's done without Jimmy Johnson.

chernobylwraiths
01-02-2015, 10:59 AM
It won't happen to New England or Dallas because they have responsible owners. I rank Kraft and Jones as two of the league's best. Kraft higher since he lets his football guys make football decisions whereas Jones thinks he knows football but I question that with some of the drafting he's done without Jimmy Johnson.

You just lost all credibility by putting Jones as one of the leagues best owners.

WagonCircler
01-02-2015, 11:00 AM
What is with all the people who are disappointed that old man magoo isn't coming here? We shouldn't be trying to bring great things back from the past again. Build it right and make it last.

Hmmm.

Maybe it's because we've had exactly one guy in 50+ years who has been successful, and a million gallon vat of idiots like Mularkey and Marrone and Whaley.

WagonCircler
01-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Actually, it kind of did in Dallas. The Parcells situation turn out to be a goat rodeo.

swiper
01-02-2015, 05:35 PM

Whoever suggested Tom Donahoe as an option in Buffalo loses his man card for football acumen. Did you really just do that?

swiper
01-02-2015, 05:37 PM

You just lost ANY credinility that you may have accrued. LOL. What an idiot.