• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Article on a Gase led offense

Interesting stuff.

Mike Martz, architect of The Greatest Show on Turf, breaks down the game-planning and play-calling of the NFL’s top three offensive coaches. Here’s what you should know about Mike McCoy, Adam Gase and Mike McCarthy
    Last edited by X-Era; 01-02-2015, 08:46 AM.

• DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Article on a Gase led offense

Great read!
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

I'm surprised, to be honest, that teams aren't lining up to give Martz a job.

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

That is a great read. You won't hear that type of breakdown from the in game analysts.

Comment

• bleve
          • Mar 2005

Rivers, Manning, and Rogers. I guess a coordinator can look a lot better with a real QB.
          "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
          ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

Execution is definitely 80% of it. You can game plan until the cows come home but if you don't have players that can properly execute the plan....

The other part of is is finding a coach that can game plan and do it to the strengths of each player. Its hard to create mismatches if your not utilizing players to their strengths. Spiller should not be positioned as a utility back. He struggles reading and hitting holes at the first level. His pass blocking skills are sub-par. His talents require space - speed and open field elusiveness. Get Spiller into the 2nd tier of opposing defenses using screens and wheel routes. Gailey understood this. Hackett used Spiller and FJax as if they were interchangeable.
            Last edited by RedEyE; 01-02-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
              I'm surprised, to be honest, that teams aren't lining up to give Martz a job.

That 2001 Rams team was ROBBED of a title against the Patriots. New England is a slimy organization full of *****ing cheaters and I hate that the legacy of guys like Vermeil, Martz and Warner is one ring short because Beliceck taped their practices and knew what their game plan was.

The St. Louis offense was truly revolutionary, it changed the modern game of football.

Any Bills fan that can tolerate the Patriots is a joke--hope Brady blows out his ACL shoveling his driveway this winter.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Much easier to call plays when you have a HOF QB.

And NO Offense has solved Defense, the NFL WEAKENED Defense with STUPID rules.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

Well, Martz didn't really have HOF QBs in St Louis. One could argue that his offense made Kurt Warner, and not vice versa.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Well, Martz didn't really have HOF QBs in St Louis. One could argue that his offense made Kurt Warner, and not vice versa.
                    But we are not talking about Martz.

And I would be happy to have Martz as OC, but not as HC.

Comment

• The King
                      Without me it's just Awe so
                      • Jun 2004

I am intrigued by him. I don't want to put a ton of stock in a guy who has had success with Peyton, but it's the diversity of his offense as of late that has me interested. Peyton has taken a back seat and let Anderson carry the load. We have never seen him do that in his career so something is definitely brewing in Denver.
                      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                      It was all
                      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                        • Sep 2004

Good coaching helps. Having Issac Bruce, Tory Holt and Marshall Faulk helped. But in the end doesn't it all come back to we'd still probably take a retired out of shape Warner now at age 43 over EJ?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          But we are not talking about Martz.

And I would be happy to have Martz as OC, but not as HC.
                          I'd take him as a Head Coach over any of the guys mentioned in that article besides McCarthy

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

I'd take him as a Head Coach over any of the guys mentioned in that article besides McCarthy
                            As long as Schwartz stays as DC, I think the Bills would win with the Martz/Schwartz combo.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Unfortunately for us, Nate Hackett probably read that article about a dozen times and still doesn't understand a word of it.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X