• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

From 2013, Cowher on Whaley

Can they work together in Buffalo? It would seem that Cowher may consider himself above Whaley. As much as I'd love Cowher I don't know how you keep Whaley and add Cowher to work under him.

From when we hired Whaley as GM:

“Doug Whaley to me has “paid his dues.” He has done his job professionally and with high-quality,” said Cowher. “I know from working with him in Pittsburgh he is a guy who put due diligence towards every opportunity and task he was given. He has a wealth of knowledge, a good feel for people and a good eye for talent.
    “I think when you talk about people that earn the opportunity to advance and earn the opportunity to have more responsibility that Doug is a guy who has proven along the way at every step that he can equal the challenge and then surpass it. It does not surprise me that he has been named General Manager.”

• WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: From 2013, Cowher on Whaley

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
    Can they work together in Buffalo? It would seem that Cowher may consider himself above Whaley. As much as I'd love Cowher I don't know how you keep Whaley and add Cowher to work under him.

“Doug Whaley to me has “paid his dues.” He has done his job professionally and with high-quality,” said Cowher. “I know from working with him in Pittsburgh he is a guy who put due diligence towards every opportunity and task he was given. He has a wealth of knowledge, a good feel for people and a good eye for talent.
    “I think when you talk about people that earn the opportunity to advance and earn the opportunity to have more responsibility that Doug is a guy who has proven along the way at every step that he can equal the challenge and then surpass it. It does not surprise me that he has been named General Manager.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/0...her-on-whaley/
    Do you NOT consider Cowher above Whaley? Cower will be in the Hall of Fame someday. Whaley could end up selling Toyotas.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

You are just setting yourself up for heartbreak by focusing on one guy. Keep an open mind. I'd be fine with Cowher but he looks like a 1000-1 shot right now.

Need someone to straighten out the O and Schwartz should stay as HC or DC. I don't care but just fix the one unit that stinks with someone that knows that side of the ball.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

How does anything Cowher said here indicate that he may think that he's "above Whaley?" He did nothing but compliment the guy. All this Cowher talk gets pretty freakin' annoying when it pops up every 2 or 3 years. Cowher hasn't coached in 8 years, since the 2006 season. If he decides to come back and coach for Buffalo, then great. Until then, it's not something I think about every day.

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

Need someone to straighten out the O and Schwartz should stay as HC or DC. I don't care but just fix the one unit that stinks with someone that knows that side of the ball.
          Coaching does not turn a journeyman QB into a good one. You can't fix what isn't there.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
            Do you NOT consider Cowher above Whaley? Cower will be in the Hall of Fame someday. Whaley could end up selling Toyotas.
            is that some kind of minority joke?

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
              Please tell me how you arrived at that?

Whaley is a first time GM who may likely fail and need to get a "real job". My usual go-to in a reference like this is "insurance salesman" which I used about 100 times with Trent Edwards, so I decided to change it up to car salesman, and Toyota popped into my head.

Am I missing something? Is Toyota some sort of code word in the Urban dictionary?

By contrast, Bill Cowher has a big fat Super Bowl ring on his finger, and a couple of AFC Championship rings, and is very likely to have a bust in Canton.

Sooooo future Hall of Famer > Guy who has accomplished next to nothing, who thinks going into a season with Jeff Tuel and EJ Manuel as QBs is hunky dori.
              Last edited by WagonCircler; 01-02-2015, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Cowher doesn't belong in the HOF.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

What the F is with your obsession with Cowher? Holy fack man. He ain't coming to Buffalo.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                    Escaped Convict
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                    Ohhhh, wait, I get it!

You're one of those idiots who thinks EVERYTHING is racist.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                      He worked under Russ Brandon for too long. If anything, he will be selling people used Suzukis and convincing people that they are Lexuses.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                      X