PDA

View Full Version : Source: Whaley to Lead Bills Coaching Search. Gase first interview, Reich to follow

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 09:56 AM
https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/551055097590202368

Gase is up first, and Reich follows.

Dr. Who
01-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Instead of bellyaching, people should see this for the opportunity it is. The defense is stacked. The offense wasn't good, but it should have been better. Fix the o-line and bring in an offensive mind that is prepared for the NFL. Maybe Whaley will hire someone who will use the players he acquires for the team.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-02-2015, 10:06 AM
didn't feel like whaley truly hired marrone to me. felt like nix and brandon. this will be his first actual hire

Mace
01-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Instead of bellyaching, people should see this for the opportunity it is. The defense is stacked. The offense wasn't good, but it should have been better. Fix the o-line and bring in an offensive mind that is prepared for the NFL. Maybe Whaley will hire someone who will use the players he acquires for the team.

In any case, it is what it is, yes.

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 10:08 AM
I think this is also a clear indication that Russ Brandon is truly out of Football Ops decision. It's all Whaley now.

mightysimi
01-02-2015, 10:11 AM

The only problem I have is that we spent the last 2 years acquiring big strong o linemen. Now is a new coach going to come in and have to go through the cycle of acquiring a whole new line? It is just more time with growing pains. We only have so many picks and with the cluster **** that is the front office, not too many free agents will want to come.

Mahdi
01-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Gase is the token bring a guy in then hire Reich because its the "Bills thing to do"

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Gase is the token bring a guy in then hire Reich because its the "Bills thing to do"

They still have to interview a minority candidate and Joe B tweeted out that Dan Quinn and Jim Schwartz will likely get interviews as well.

Dr. Who
01-02-2015, 10:21 AM
The only problem I have is that we spent the last 2 years acquiring big strong o linemen. Now is a new coach going to come in and have to go through the cycle of acquiring a whole new line? It is just more time with growing pains. We only have so many picks and with the cluster **** that is the front office, not too many free agents will want to come.

I like Whaley, so we probably have a different view of the front office.

I agree that one will have to come up with a plan to fit the o-lineman to whatever blocking scheme is going to be run. I've heard some pretty crazy ideas put out the last few days.
For instance, someone theorized that after a "redshirt" year, Cyrus K. may be ready to play right tackle. They suggested flipping Henderson to LT and playing Glenn at LG.
I am NOT suggesting this as a serious option. I tend to like Glenn at LT, though he had a down year for various reasons one could surmise. I merely use it as an illustration of creative thinking. I think we will add two or three o-lineman through free agency and the draft. Then it's up to the new coaches to find a way to make it work.

Oh, and I think Pegula will create an environment that will make Buffalo a place free agents want to come. Not sure if it will happen this off-season though.

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2015, 10:21 AM
I don't get the hype on Adam Gase. His success in Denver is because of Peyton Manning, who can make anyone look good.

Let's look at his track record:

2013 Denver OC - QB Manning - 1st ranked offensive scoring
2012 Denver OC - QB Manning - 2nd ranked offensive scoring
2011 Denver QB coach - QB Orton/Tebow - 25th ranked offensive scoring
2010 Denver WR coach - QB Orton/Tebow - 19th ranked offensive scoring
2009 Denver WR coach - QB Orton - 19th ranked offensive scoring
2008 San Fran Offensive Asst - QB Shaun Hill - 22nd ranked offensive scoring
2007 Detroit QB coach- QB Kitna - 16th ranked offensive scoring
2006 Detroit Offensive Asst - QB Kitna - 21st ranked offensive scoring

Give Manning or Brady to Hackett and he'll look like a fricking genius too. Look at Josh McDaniels, big hype with Brady offense and landed the Denver HC job and found that he's nobody without Brady.

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Per Graham Whaley met with Pegula yesterday to formulate a plan of attack for HC search and now interviews will commence.

coastal
01-02-2015, 10:46 AM
What a joke.

u aren't guy to trust with this... oh wait... yeah you are.

youre my number one guy.

Mace
01-02-2015, 10:46 AM
And unfortunately, he's being advised by Brandon.

Thurmal
01-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Great -- one guy who is successful b/c he "coaches" one of the greatest QBs of all time and another guy who is a first-year OC on a non-playoff team but -- hey! -- he used to play here.

Why even get your hopes up when it will be a typical non-inspiring Bills hire?

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Great -- one guy who is successful b/c he "coaches" one of the greatest QBs of all time and another guy who is a first-year OC on a non-playoff team but -- hey! -- he used to play here.

Why even get your hopes up when it will be a typical non-inspiring Bills hire?
All we can do is keep our fingers crossed. Weirder things have happened. Mike McCarthy was a non-inspiring hire for the Packers after Mike Sherman got the boot. He turned out pretty good.

X-Era
01-02-2015, 10:59 AM
I like that Whaley gets to find a guy that works with him. I think he will get one of the best out of this lackluster young group when all is said and done. He's got good evaluator skills.

I think the Marrone situation may give us pause before getting another ego guy with a temper... For better or worse. Thats why I think Rex Ryan wont be a serious candidate.

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2015, 10:59 AM
All we can do is keep our fingers crossed. Weirder things have happened. Mike McCarthy was a non-inspiring hire for the Packers after Mike Sherman got the boot. He turned out pretty good.

He also had Aaron Rodgers.

EricStratton
01-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Bringing in a coordinator increases the chances Schwartz stays on board. A re-tread head coach will most likely gut the staff, Jim included.

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Any hired HC that doesn't seriously consider keeping the defensive staff in place is a moron and I don't want them as the next coach.

baalworship
01-02-2015, 11:25 AM
This is great news. I was getting nervous about what the structure was. Whaley is the main piece that we need to go forward. Whaley is a swing for the fences GM and he has acquired great talent including Jerry Hughes, Sammy Watkins, Preston Brown, Seantrel Henderson. etc.

I trust Whaley more than Polian, Pegula's on their own, or Brandon to hire a great coach. Remember, he wants to crush Marrone, expecially if he goes to the Jets.

Historian
01-02-2015, 11:30 AM
good point.

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2015, 11:34 AM
I don't know what Whaley has done to piss of some of you guys. I for one think he's doing a good job in terms of coaches hiring and bringing in players.

Don't Panic
01-02-2015, 12:39 PM
I don't know what Whaley has done to piss of some of you guys. I for one think he's doing a good job in terms of coaches hiring and bringing in players.

To go one step further, if Manuel (who came with Kiko Alonso in the Tavon Austin trade) was playing well I'd say he's up for GM of the year. That appears to be a big whiff, definitely so for the 1st round, but otherwise he's got a really solid track record going.

better days
01-02-2015, 12:47 PM
To go one step further, if Manuel (who came with Kiko Alonso in the Tavon Austin trade) was playing well I'd say he's up for GM of the year. That appears to be a big whiff, definitely so for the 1st round, but otherwise he's got a really solid track record going.

And Nix & Marrone played a role in the drafting of EJ as well.

Famous Amos
01-02-2015, 01:02 PM
I think this is also a clear indication that Russ Brandon is truly out of Football Ops decision. It's all Whaley now.

Not sure if that is entirely the case:
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2015/1/2/7481469/buffalo-bills-coaching-search-doug-whaley-general-manager

John Warow tweeted that
Russ will serve as an adviser to Whaley during the search.

At least Brandon isn't leading the search.

stuckincincy
01-02-2015, 01:11 PM
https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/551055097590202368

Gase is up first, and Reich follows.

7 head coaches in 14 years. The problems lie elsewhere.

better days
01-02-2015, 01:13 PM
7 head coaches in 14 years. The problems lie elsewhere.

Well, the Bills could have been like the Bengals & stuck with a MEDIOCRE HC for YEARS.

Mr. Cynical
01-02-2015, 02:43 PM
I don't like Doug "You can put the blame wherever you want" Whaley. He needed to step up and take responsibility for the cluster f*** that was the QB situation. While there are no sure fire QB picks, his gaff with EJ was 100% worsened when he didn't make sure he had a Plan B and Plan C in place. And, to have a year leading into this season with Tuel and Lewis as those plans, only to then let them go, scramble for Palmer and then Orton. IMO, he's not the GM the Bills need, but it looks like we're stuck for at least one more year. At least he can't eff up another 1st round pick.