PDA

View Full Version : I don't want Jim Schwartz as our HC

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2015, 01:41 PM
His track record shows that he's not a good HC. He's done a good job with our defense, but one could also argue that he inherited a good defense to start with (Pettine cashed in on that D) and improved upon it. Can we just give him a million dollar pay raise and leave him as DC or maybe give him a empty promotion of assistant HC? We'll just require the next HC to keep Schwartz as DC.

BertSquirtgum
01-02-2015, 01:44 PM
You would have said the same thing about Pete Carrol after his stint with New England. Sometimes with the second go around the coach gets it.

Sammy Avalon
01-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Not sure he stays if he's not being promoted. New head coach usually means a complete overhaul. Which is unfortunately every two years with the Bills.

But I think his contribution is being a bit overrated. The reason our defense was so stellar was mainly because of the ability to rush the passer consistently with the front four and create a lot of cover schemes. That is very rare in todays NFL. Keeping the talent is more important than keeping Schwartz IMO.

I'm also convinced that a lack of talent and experience on offense was the bigger issue than Hackett himself.

RedEyE
01-02-2015, 02:05 PM
I like the idea of Schwartz for the simple fact that he has had time to evaluate the team internally and know what is working and what needs to be done differently. Couple that with the relationships he has made with all of the current players. It may be promoting Schwartz could be the deciding factor on a FAs decision as to whether they stay or go. Promote Pepper Johnson to DC perhaps retain Crossman for STs as well as the rest of the D coaching staff. Continuity.

Then he can shake up the offensive side of the ball all he wants.

ticatfan
01-02-2015, 02:09 PM
How about trestman as OC.

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2015, 02:15 PM
How about trestman as OC.
That's what I've been pushing for.

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2015, 02:19 PM
I like the idea of Schwartz for the simple fact that he has had time to evaluate the team internally and know what is working and what needs to be done differently. Couple that with the relationships he has made with all of the current players. It may be promoting Schwartz could be the deciding factor on a FAs decision as to whether they stay or go. Promote Pepper Johnson to DC perhaps retain Crossman for STs as well as the rest of the D coaching staff. Continuity.

Then he can shake up the offensive side of the ball all he wants.
OK fine I can go along with that.

HC - Schwartz
OC - Trestmen
DC- Johnson

Let's go.

Meathead
01-02-2015, 02:25 PM
that could work

RedEyE
01-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Trestmen would be nice, but I suspect (obviously pure speculation) if Schwartz is hired he would once again turn to his buddy Scott Linehan to lead the offense. Linehan is the current passing game coordinator for Dallas.

Ed
01-02-2015, 02:26 PM
I don't mind the idea of Schwartz being the HC if it means the D doesn't take any steps back, but it would all depend on what his vision and plan for the offense would be.

Bill Cody
01-02-2015, 03:21 PM
The thing you liked about Schwartz as a HC in Detroit was he was intense as hell and his teams played hard. The thing that you didn't like was the almost stunning lack of discipline on those teams which led to all manner of just inexcusable penalties and mental lapses. He richly deserved to be fired. I'm not ruling him out because there's something there but my take is Schwartz would need strong and experienced coordinators to do well.