• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Source: Bills new coach will report directly to Kim and Terry

Curious everyone's thoughts on this Tim Graham gem:
    If you were holding out hope that the Buffalo Bills' power dynamic would change for the better under new ownership and in need of a new head coach, well... this ought to pique your interest.

Kim and Terry will also be in interviews.
  • SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: Source: Bills new coach will report directly to Kim and Terry

Stupid.

The HC should report to the GM and not the owner.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
      Curious everyone's thoughts on this Tim Graham gem:
      If you were holding out hope that the Buffalo Bills' power dynamic would change for the better under new ownership and in need of a new head coach, well... this ought to pique your interest.

Kim and Terry will also be in interviews.
      WTF? why neuter your GM? This makes no sense to me! ugh. Please don't tell me this is not Dan Snyder........
      I came.
      I saw.
      I conquered.

Comment

• WagonCircler
        Escaped Convict
        • Jul 2002

This tells me that Whaley is a temp.

Bye Whaley.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

The Pegs should be involved in the interview process, but I don't like the idea of the HC reporting directly to them. Interesting, considering that has been one of the excuses reported as a reason why Marrone opted out...losing that access.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            The Pegs should be involved in the interview process, but I don't like the idea of the HC reporting directly to them. Interesting, considering that has been one of the excuses reported as a reason why Marrone opted out...losing that access.
            What are Pegs?

Comment

• Ed
              Dude
              • Sep 2002

I don't know that it makes much difference. It's not like the owner doesn't have final say on everything anyway.

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

It could be they're just getting a feel for the business. Or maybe Terry was blindsided by Marrone's clause and doesn't want anything like that happening again.

I'm really curious if Ralph knew about that contract clause. Ralph was a damn good businessman and I don't think he would have been that quick to leave a loophole for someone to have the ability to walk away unscathed with 4$ million.

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Power jockeys in Bills front office spoke ill of Polian in Marrone's presence. Marrone told Polian on way out. Polian told Pegula yesterday.

per Tim Graham

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Wait a second...

How bad would this be? Is it not a chance for better checks and balances? In this situation it would be difficult for a GM to put a HC under his thumb. And, the HC won't be worried about the GM firing him.

HC handles what happens on the field
                    GM handles what happens off the field

Both report directly to Pegula.

Not sure I hate this.

Is it bad for the owner to be aware of how a GM may have made a poor choice on a FA or draftee? Where it may be hidden from Pegula by the HC for fear of retribution?

Is it bad for the GM to talk directly to the owner about what the HC has done with the players he provided?
                    Last edited by X-Era; 01-02-2015, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
                      • Dec 2008

If true, that is some of the best news to come out of Buffalo since Pegula bought the team.

Undoubtedly, once the next "President of Football Operations" is announced, the GM and Coach will report directly to them.

I would guess that Polian was going to be the "defacto" president, as Pegula thought there was some (or rather, enough of a) degree of a working relationship between Marrone and Whaley. With Marrone walking away though, Pegula sees that the front office is untenable with its current management structure and needs to be reorganized.

Face it: with Wilson passing, we were left with an organizational leadership vacuum. Brandon tried to fill that, but by creating some sort of triumvirate with him, Whaley, and Marrone... you saw public fighting (like training camp), grudges (Mike Williams im sure), differing philosophies (who knows how bad EJ really is?), and ultimately a divorce.

Things keep getting better for the Bills.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                        Wait a second...

How bad would this be? Is it not a chance for better checks and balances? In this situation it would be difficult for a GM to put a HC under his thumb. And, the HC won't be worried about the GM firing him.

HC handles what happens on the field
                        GM handles what happens off the field

Both report directly to Pegula.

Not sure I hate this.

Is it bad for the owner to be aware of how a GM may have made a poor choice on a FA or draftee? Where it may be hidden from Pegula by the HC for fear of retribution?

Is it bad for the GM to talk directly to the owner about what the HC has done with the players he provided?
                        It's not bad at all.

We've been run by a marketing director for a decade. He catered to our every whim--football decisions were made as the winds (or focus groups) blew.

Now we're developing a real, business-based management structure geared towards winning football games, not selling out 3 home games in September.

There will be some growing pains. There will be bad press. There will be an entire GENERATION of fans accustomed to complaining about everything and being rewarded with a new shiny toy in the spring (TO, Mario, etc.) to get them to renew their tickets suddenly forced to deal with the reality that short term sacrifice and decisions you don't understand ultimately results in a consistently strong organization that can field at least a 9-7 team every year, and push for a championship once or twice a decade when they get a few bounces--just like Pit, NE, Den, Baltimore etc. etc. etc.

The team needs to be run differently.
                        The business needs to be run differently.
                        Why ANYONE on here thinks that they feel qualified to criticize the management decisions that are happening and will happen is beyond me.

Just ignore these things and get ready to watch football again.

Comment

• The Doc
                          • Oct 2014

Sounds good to me. Look, the Pegulas are steering the ship. There's a couple ways to look at it:

1- a straight chain of command that starts with the Pegulas and works down going GM, Coach, and so on. For some organizations this works.

2- then there's another way that has department heads report to the top. The GM is in charge of personnel and contracts. Russ is in charge of marketing and business relations. The coach is in charge of being the coach with all having to report to the owner and not the GM. This is how I'd do it if I were the owner. This way works too.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Wow, Marrone is one huge fagina the more this goes along.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                              Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                              • Feb 2013

This is how the Pegula's run the Sabres also. Nolan reports to Murray and then Murray reports to Pegula

Comment

Working...
                              X