PDA

View Full Version : If Frank Reich Becomes The Bills Next Head Coach

BillsImpossible
01-02-2015, 06:56 PM
How would you feel?

A. Happy
B. Mad
C. Somewhere in the middle between happy and mad

I'd be happy. He's not a retread. I don't want a new coach that has already had a shot and struck out in the big leagues.

The Bills desperately need a franchise QB. I think Reich is the only potential head coaching candidate that has ever played quarterback.

Adam Gase has a brilliant offensive mind, but the guy is 36 years old. He's an excellent offensive coordinator, but not a head coach. Way too young and inexperienced.

Frank Reich has the kind of character and class that the Pegula's want in a Head Coach.

I'd love to give Frank Reich an opportunity to lead the Bills out of their 15 year playoff drought.

'Do you believe in miracles?'

better days
01-02-2015, 06:59 PM
I would worry Frank doesn't have enough experience to be a HC.

But as long as Schwartz stays, Reich/Schwartz would be BETTER than Marrone/Hackett/Schwartz IMO.

The Jokeman
01-02-2015, 07:03 PM
C. As it comes down to who's he name as his OC? What's he do with the defense? Reich alone doesn't rank high on my list of candidates but it really does come down to the rest of the staff. Yet based on the question of Reich alone, I'd say I'd be upset as think there are better candidates out there and he doesn't have a big pool of coaches he has ties to which worries me when it comes to our OC and other position coaches.

BillsImpossible
01-02-2015, 07:11 PM

But as long as Schwartz stays, Reich/Schwartz would be BETTER than Marrone/Hackett/Schwartz IMO.

Experience is key.

What I like about Reich's experience is how he literally grew up in the NFL when he was drafted in 1985 in the 3rd round.

From 1986-1994 he was the Bills backup QB, and he continued to play in the NFL until Reich retired at the end of the 1998 season.

Reich came back in 2008 and has been coaching in the NFL ever since.

He knows more about the, "culture," of the NFL than most coaching candidates.

Reich knows what life is all about in the NFL.

better days
01-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Experience is key.

What I like about Reich's experience is how he literally grew up in the NFL when he was drafted in 1985 in the 3rd round.

From 1986-1994 he was the Bills backup QB, and he continued to play in the NFL until Reich retired at the end of the 1998 season.

Reich came back in 2008 and has been coaching in the NFL ever since.

He knows more about the, "culture," of the NFL than most coaching candidates.

I agree about the culture, but Frank only has one year experience as an OC & a couple as a QB Coach.

The rest of the time was as a LOW level asst.

elltrain22
01-02-2015, 07:18 PM
I maybe overestimating here, but the guy did engineer the greatest NFL & college football comeback ever. He's clearly a leader, hard-worker, cerebral, and possibly a good motivator.

Sorry if I am a bit overly optimistic.

better days
01-02-2015, 07:21 PM
I maybe overestimating here, but the guy did engineer the greatest NFL & college football comeback ever. He's clearly a leader, hard-worker, cerebral, and possibly a good motivator.

Sorry if I am a bit overly optimistic.

Frank is a motivational speaker.

And no doubt he learned a thing or two from Levy about that.

It is the x's & o's that concern me about Frank.

BillsImpossible
01-02-2015, 07:22 PM
I agree about the culture, but Frank only has one year experience as an OC & a couple as a QB Coach.

The rest of the time was as a LOW level asst.

Every coach in the NFL begins as a low level assistant.

Bill Belichick was a low level assistant at one time.

Frank Reich has 20 years of NFL offensive experience under his belt.

YardRat
01-02-2015, 07:25 PM
I think there are several better candidates available so I wouldn't be very happy unless he brought a kick-ass staff with him.

feldspar
01-02-2015, 07:30 PM

So does that midget you always see on the Bills sidelines.

Sorry, Marvin Lewis.

BillsImpossible
01-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Reich went to the Chargers in 2013.

Look at what happened to Phillip Rivers' stats...

http://www.nfl.com/player/philiprivers/2506121/careerstats

feldspar
01-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Reich went to the Chargers in 2013.

Look at what happened to Phillip Rivers' stats...

I give up...tell me what happened to his stats.

Looks like they returned to where they were in 2008, 2009, 2010, and mostly in 2011. Looks like Rivers had somewhat of a down year in 2012 stats-wise is all...nothing world changing.

Don't hurt yourself by overthinking things, pal. Doesn't look like Reich had too much of an influence on Rivers' stats to me. Tell me why you think he did.

If only the Bills had Phillip Rivers. We'd be talking about the playoffs right now, probably.

elltrain22
01-02-2015, 07:43 PM
The one thing that I thought the Chargers did against us this year, was the their play calling. Yes, Rivers also had a real good game too.

BillsImpossible
01-02-2015, 07:49 PM
I give up...tell me what happened to his stats.

Looks like they returned to where they were in 2008, 2009, 2010, and mostly in 2011. Looks like Rivers had a down year in 2012 stats-wise is all.

Don't hurt yourself by overthinking things, pal.

If only the Bills had Phillip Rivers.

I'm not over thinking things, Rivers had a bad year in 2012 and Frank Reich helped get him back on track in 2013.

Rivers' stats from 2012 (before Reich) compared to 2013 is a big difference.

872 yards better passing, 8 more TD's, and 4 less picks than 2012.

feldspar
01-02-2015, 08:00 PM
I'm not over thinking things, Rivers had a bad year in 2012 and Frank Reich helped get him back on track in 2013.

Rivers' stats from 2012 (before Reich) compared to 2013 is a big difference.

872 yards better passing, 8 more TD's, and 4 less picks than 2012.

We're talking about Phillip Rivers, who had comparable seasons stat-wise for YEARS on end before 2012. He didn't even have his best run while Frank Reich happened to be a coach in San Diego, by a longshot. Tell me who was responsible for Rivers' numbers from 2008-2010, and let's just arbitrarily give THAT guy credit and hire him to be Head Coach on the spot. Can you tell me who was responsible for that run of stats?

Personally, I'd give Phillip Rivers credit for being a pretty good QB himself for putting up those numbers.

If you want to go crazy and think along those lines, let's give the job to Adam Gase TODAY. After all, Peyton Manning blew the roof off of all of the NFL records the moment Gase became Offensive Coordinator for the Broncos. That's his doing, right?

stats...

Don't Panic
01-02-2015, 08:09 PM

agreed, but is that the best we can do?

TacklingDummy
01-02-2015, 08:12 PM
I don't care who the next coach is, I care who the next QB is.

ICRockets
01-02-2015, 08:23 PM
It is the x's & o's that concern me about Frank.

This makes no sense to me. That seems like it's pretty obviously a strength, given his background. The man played quarterback for 2 decades, and during the tail end of his experience as a player he was essentially tutoring under a hall of fame head coach who had a hall of fame qb/hb/wr at his disposal. You're telling me Frank Reich didn't learn an astronomical amount of the x's and o's during that time? If that were the case I don't see why he'd ever decide he wanted to get into coaching to begin with.

DraftBoy
01-02-2015, 08:39 PM
I'd be in the middle. He gets a fair shake but I don't think he's the best candidate out there.

Mace
01-02-2015, 11:14 PM
The big thing everyone reverts to talking about is how an HC manages. HC's who are their own coordinators struggle unless they're a superstar. Dunno Reich can, don't know he can't. I'd be in the middle, but interested.

He's not an astounding OC, but how is he as a boss ? I just don't have a clue.

mush69
01-03-2015, 06:40 AM
B. period.

Frank is not ready for the full on Head Coaching job, I would love to see him as the Offensive coordinator though. Send Hackett packing and Carrying the Quitters bags to New Jersey. Give the job to Schwartz and let Frank grow in the Wisdom teeth here in Buffalo where he belongs!

GingerP
01-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Reich only has 1 year as a coordinator, it would be a risk to hire him. That was under Mike McCoy, a head coach who is considered one of the top offensive minds in the game. It is McCoy's offense that has led to Rivers resurgence, so to credit just Riech is not taking everything into account. He has only been calling plays for 1 season. He did a good job, but their offense was middle-of-the-pack, not a juggernaut.

I like Reich as a promising coaching prospect on offense. It just seems early to hire him as head coach, he doesn't seem experienced enough. Hiring him now seems like making the move because of his history here as a player, there are guys out there that seem better candidates.

Albany,n.y.
01-03-2015, 09:14 AM
I'd be happy that my prediction of 20 years ago that one day Frank Reich would be the Bills HC came true, then I'd take a wait & see attitude & judge him after the 2016 season (because he may not have a QB in 2015 so I wouldn't hold a bad record against him). If he proves himself in 2016, I'd say extend him & give him a raise. If he bombs after 2 years I'd say fire him & bring in someone who can coach.
All in all, I'd feel the same way towards him as any other coach, but he does come in with the good will he earned while playing here.

Ed
01-03-2015, 10:13 AM
I don't think I'd be happy or mad. Just curious. I have no idea what to expect from Reich as a HC. And we'd have to wait and see how things shake out with the rest of the staff. He'd be an easy guy to root for though.