PDA

View Full Version : So what does Whaley think now according to this ESPN report?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-03-2015, 06:44 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16764/source-polian-would-have-considered-a-j-smith-for-job-with-bills

It's almost a fact that the Pegulas are courting Polian for months. And had Polian not having HOF thing lined up, he might be here already. And Whaley would be out of the door.

And now Whaley's leading the charge to hire the next head coach.

Does that sound like a well run NFL team?

Night Train
01-03-2015, 06:55 AM
I'm glad he's not coming. Seeing Marrone and Orton as positives means the game has passed him by.

A.J. Smith was terrible with the Chargers.

I'm glad we avoided all these moves.

Once a coach is hired, then review the adm. building folks.

k-oneputt
01-03-2015, 06:59 AM
It looks like he is getting a 2nd chance now.
Don't screw it up Doug, I doubt there will be a 3rd.

Novacane
01-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Orton retires. Marrone quits. Polian liked them both so he decided against coming here. Now we find out Polian wanted AJ smith as GM? YUCK! It sounds like an incredibly lucky organization. I don't remember the last time the Bills had such a great week.

Don't Panic
01-03-2015, 07:18 AM
If one things for certain, its that nothing is certain. Quite a week its been... hoping beyond hope things settle in place by this time next week. Right now though it has the feel of a lot of blunders in the making from years past.

X-Era
01-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Whaley is a young GM and Polian is a HOF. This wasn't necessarily replacing Whaley... More like replacing Russ.

Dr. Who
01-03-2015, 07:30 AM
I doubt Whaley was going to be shown the door. AJ Smith lived off of Butler's accomplishments. Then he misfired a lot with SD. Anyone who would prefer Smith over Whaley ain't too bright.

k-oneputt
01-03-2015, 07:35 AM
And Butler lived off Polians accomplishments.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-03-2015, 08:05 AM
I'm pointing right at the Pegulas. Sorry folks. The event this week cannot be looking good on anyone's eyes and I believe the Pegulas know it.

From what we know, it looks like the Pegula plan from the beginning is to find a trusted football czar to oversee the entire football operations. It is a good plan since they know their limitations. But the execution is terrible. Looks like the only football czar they got their hands on is a non committed Bill Polian with no back up plan. Marrone's decision to opting out threw them to a loop, which, a careful owner should have planned because the clause is there for them at the beginning. Now they have to conduct HC search with a GM they are not really committed to, with them sitting on the interviews and having the HC reporting to them.

I can present two options which to me will be better than what we are now: 1) negotiate with Marrone to entice him stay, and can him later if it does not work out. It's only money. 2) give Whaley the full rein, finding his HC. Again if it does not work out, can him in 2/3 years. Not this half-hearted you run the show but I listen in the room kind of garbage.

GreedoII
01-03-2015, 08:09 AM
Polian is a waste of time..no thanks...he'd be working in the NFL if he was so coveted...

Goobylal
01-03-2015, 08:15 AM
I'm pointing right at the Pegulas. Sorry folks. The event this week cannot be looking good on anyone's eyes and I believe the Pegulas know it.

From what we know, it looks like the Pegula plan from the beginning is to find a trusted football czar to oversee the entire football operations. It is a good plan since they know their limitations. But the execution is terrible. Looks like the only football czar they got their hands on is a non committed Bill Polian with no back up plan. Marrone's decision to opting out threw them to a loop, which, a careful owner should have planned because the clause is there for them at the beginning. Now they have to conduct HC search with a GM they are not really committed to, with them sitting on the interviews and having the HC reporting to them.

I can present two options which to me will be better than what we are now: 1) negotiate with Marrone to entice him stay, and can him later if it does not work out. It's only money. 2) give Whaley the full rein, finding his HC. Again if it does not work out, can him in 2/3 years. Not this half-hearted you run the show but I listen in the room kind of garbage.
What we know for sure is that Marrone asked for an extension for himself and his staff and was refused. I can assure you that the Pegulas knew about the opt-out clause in his contract and were anything but blindsided by his decision. If anything, I'd think they were amused that he'd walk away from the best HC'ing situation out there. But he did the Bills a favor by leaving and taking Hackett with him, and in the process Polian. On the surface it looks bad on the Bills. The truth is it's worse for Marrone and Polian, who will be going on his 4th year out of the NFL.

better days
01-03-2015, 08:17 AM

HOW would enticing Marrone to stay be better than where we are now?

Saddled with a MEDIOCRE Marrone as HC for at least a couple more years is NO WAY in Hell better than a fresh start.

HHURRICANE
01-03-2015, 08:21 AM
We look like idiots but let's not blame the new owners. If your going to court Polian you might want to make sure you have him locked up before he goes out and rips you in front of the national media.

Honestly if Frank Reich or any other assistant piece of garbage is our next coach I'm done watching these losers.

Dr. Who
01-03-2015, 08:23 AM
What we know for sure is that Marrone asked for an extension for himself and his staff and was refused. I can assure you that the Pegulas knew about the opt-out clause in his contract and were anything but blindsided by his decision. If anything, I'd think they were amused that he'd walk away from the best HC'ing situation out there. But he did the Bills a favor by leaving and taking Hackett with him, and in the process Polian. On the surface it looks bad on the Bills. The truth is it's worse for Marrone and Polian, who will be going on his 4th year out of the NFL.

I think it's more likely they weren't crazy about Marrone, but did not feel they could easily fire him after a 9 - 7 record. But they could count on him to use the clause as an opportunity to bluster his way out of the job. (This may be pure moonshine on my part. Just showing that one can use rhetoric to spin a very different story.)

HHURRICANE
01-03-2015, 08:28 AM

When the Bills give us better than Polian and Marrone than I will agree with your post.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-03-2015, 08:46 AM
HOW would enticing Marrone to stay be better than where we are now?

Saddled with a MEDIOCRE Marrone as HC for at least a couple more years is NO WAY in Hell better than a fresh start.

I don't know Marrone is the worst coach we have. There are aspects I like which was not present in any previous Bills coaches. I would be willing to give him another year.

sudzy
01-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Whaley has put on notice. He done some good things (Hughes, Kiko and Brown), but, trading the farm for Watkins was a huge mistake.

Albany,n.y.
01-03-2015, 09:00 AM
We look like idiots but let's not blame the new owners. If your going to court Polian you might want to make sure you have him locked up before he goes out and rips you in front of the national media.

Honestly if Frank Reich or any other assistant piece of garbage is our next coach I'm done watching these losers.

Bah-by.

Goobylal
01-03-2015, 09:39 AM
I think it's more likely they weren't crazy about Marrone, but did not feel they could easily fire him after a 9 - 7 record. But they could count on him to use the clause as an opportunity to bluster his way out of the job. (This may be pure moonshine on my part. Just showing that one can use rhetoric to spin a very different story.)

When the Bills give us better than Polian and Marrone than I will agree with your post.
What do you fancy Marrone did for the Bills? The offense, his forte, was putrid. His gameday decisions were frustrating. As for Polian, he's been out of the league for 3 years now. No one else wants his services.

YardRat
01-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Whaley has put on notice. He done some good things (Hughes, Kiko and Brown), but, trading the farm for Watkins was a huge mistake.

I hope it works out just a field goal better than it did when Polian traded the farm, the equipment, the livestock, and the family pets for Bennett.

djjimkelly
01-03-2015, 11:44 AM
every report says that he would have been an Advisory role.

i dont get why everyone is surprised that POLIAN was honest and basically said AT 72 I CANT LIVE THIS FULL TIME.

that does not = i hate whaley does not = i dont like the roster,

it simply means i am old i can play a small role

and i also saw him on espn yesterday where he said his family had alot of say that your 72 its family time now.

basically i think he was being nice and told the pegulas you can do better then ME!!!!

JohnnyGold
01-03-2015, 11:48 AM
I hope it works out just a field goal better than it did when Polian traded the farm, the equipment, the livestock, and the family pets for Bennett.

If this was Reddit, I'd give you a gold star for this post.

Perfection in written form.