PDA

View Full Version : Source: Brandon&Littman Approved Opt Out Clause to Land Marrone Away from Browns

RedEyE
01-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Interesting insight.

During the interview 2 years ago the Bills reportedly offered less money to Marrone than the Browns. Opt clause was thrown on table to seal the deal.

Its really kind of stupid if you think about it. Had the Bills just dropped in the additional 4 million into the contract, Marrone gets his money but has to fulfill the contract. Instead, Brandon looks like a buffoon (once again) having to pay Marrone 3 years for 2 years worth of work.

The article is a few days old but I hadn't seen this posted anywhere:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/01/bills-needed-marrone-opt-out-clause-to-get-deal-done-in-2013/

With that kind of business acumen/philosophy player and coach FA agents should be lining up to negotiate with these numbskulls.

GreedoII
01-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Brandon and Overdorf are idiots period. The constant is stupid and buffoonery for 15 yrs. Please just get rid of these A-holes already

HHURRICANE
01-03-2015, 08:23 AM
He's still there so I have to say our new owners are clueless.

Novacane
01-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Finally Bradon did something good! The opt out clause was a positive thing imo. We'd still be stuck with Marrone if not for that clause.

RedEyE
01-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Finally Bradon did something good! The opt out clause was a positive thing imo. We'd still be stuck with Marrone if not for that clause.

I guess it depends on perspective. If you don't like Marrone then its a blessing in disguise. Still, its shameful that guy in charge of business operations allowed (and gave his stamp of approval) a guy to be paid for 3 years and escape with just 2 years of work under his belt.

coastal
01-03-2015, 08:58 AM
I want to know what's Brandon's buyout is.

you just know it's a doozy and I bet Pegs doesn't want to pay it.

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2015, 09:01 AM

I bet it's not more than 4 million.

better days
01-03-2015, 09:04 AM
I guess it depends on perspective. If you don't like Marrone then its a blessing in disguise. Still, its shameful that guy in charge of business operations allowed (and gave his stamp of approval) a guy to be paid for 3 years and escape with just 2 years of work under his belt.

Well, I wanted Marrone fired.

If that happened, the Bills would have owed him for the two years left on his contract or $8 Mill instead of the $4 Mill owed.

It will be interesting to see how much money the new HC gets.

coastal
01-03-2015, 09:36 AM
I bet it's not more than 4 million.
It's 8 figures...

coastal
01-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Question for you guys...

what does it say that Overdorf's and Brandon's strategy for negotiating is coming back to the table with $4 million of NOT Ralph Wilson's money?

X-Era
01-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Interesting insight.

During the interview 2 years ago the Bills reportedly offered less money to Marrone than the Browns. Opt clause was thrown on table to seal the deal.

Its really kind of stupid if you think about it. Had the Bills just dropped in the additional 4 million into the contract, Marrone gets his money but has to fulfill the contract. Instead, Brandon looks like a buffoon (once again) having to pay Marrone 3 years for 2 years worth of work.

The article is a few days old but I hadn't seen this posted anywhere:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/01/bills-needed-marrone-opt-out-clause-to-get-deal-done-in-2013/

With that kind of business acumen/philosophy player and coach FA agents should be lining up to negotiate with these numbskulls.Hindsight is 20/20.

But, if you remember, at the time Brandon was just given the keys to the whole operation. We had a tarnished brand in the league. And Marrone was one of, if not the, most coveted guy out there. What we did was win the war and get the top guy in their minds. For a team with a bad name I cannot fault them for that. It was the right move. Did anyone expect Marrone to quit on us? Did we know how long Ralph would stay alive?

As with Mario and other moves, I want the Bills to overpay if that's what it takes to become relevant. I want a Super Bowl win and if it takes overpaying I'm fine with that.

CommissarSpartacus
01-03-2015, 12:11 PM
I guess I wasn't paying attention at the time or maybe it's just because I could give a **** about the Syracuse football progrem, but WTF was it that made ANYONE "covet" Marrone?

The guy defines "Milqutoast" and "mediocre".

Is that what NFL teams are looking for?

cookie G
01-03-2015, 01:31 PM
I guess I wasn't paying attention at the time or maybe it's just because I could give a **** about the Syracuse football progrem, but WTF was it that made ANYONE "covet" Marrone?

The guy defines "Milqutoast" and "mediocre".

Is that what NFL teams are looking for?

He wasn't the most coveted guy out there. That's just a line the Bills wanted people to believe.

Bruce Arians
Chip Kelly
Andy Reid
Mike McCoy

and others were more "coveted", and that's just the offensive minded HCs.

At the beginning of the process...Brandon talked about leaving "no stone unturned" (you might notice the reference in some of my posts).

They interviewed about 3 people, and didn't bother to interview any coordinator, offensive or defensive, from a playoff team.

Brandon went back to his alma mater and played the good ole' boy network game. And then sold the process off as an exhaustive search and nabbing the "hot guy" before he got away.

If that wasn't bad enough..the offense he was bringing in was advertised as "fresh", "new", "innovative" and "attacking"

LOL...Chuck Knox was abused for a conservative approach, Marrone made him look like Don Coryell.

WagonCircler
01-03-2015, 02:17 PM

If you just paid $1.4 BIL for a thing, and that thing has cancer, you don't bat an eye at spending $10 MIL or so to have the tumor removed.

It's all about timing.

Brandon shouldn't be buying any green bananas.

better days
01-04-2015, 08:47 AM
If you just paid $1.4 BIL for a thing, and that thing has cancer, you don't bat an eye at spending $10 MIL or so to have the tumor removed.

It's all about timing.

Brandon shouldn't be buying any green bananas.

If Brandon was a terrible businessman as well as a terrible football man, I would agree with everyone that wants to get rid of him.

But the fact is he is not. In fact Brandon is a GREAT businessman.

IMO, the smart thing is to retain him to run the business & tell him he has no say in football decisions.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Actually Brandon graduated from St John Fischer, I believe.

WagonCircler
01-04-2015, 10:45 AM
If Brandon was a terrible businessman as well as a terrible football man, I would agree with everyone that wants to get rid of him.

But the fact is he is not. In fact Brandon is a GREAT businessman.

IMO, the smart thing is to retain him to run the business & tell him he has no say in football decisions.

The fact that you repeat this more often than you breathe doesn't make it true.

Russ Brandon is a failure. He is not even a GOOD businessman.

He's simply an ass kisser who fooled a senile man into believing that he was capable of doing a job for which he was wholly unqualified.