PDA

View Full Version : This is why teams punt

Albany,n.y.
01-03-2015, 05:12 PM
I'm sure if the Bills punted down 1, 4th & 4 from the 37 many on this board would go crazy. Yet, Carolina just showed why coaches punt inside the other team's 50, in this case inside the opponent's 40. They punt, D holds and 2 minutes later Carolina is up by 13.

Demon
01-03-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm sure if the Bills punted down 1, 4th & 4 from the 37 many on this board would go crazy. Yet, Carolina just showed why coaches punt inside the other team's 50, in this case inside the opponent's 40. They punt, D holds and 2 minutes later Carolina is up by 13.

Ted Ginn Jr. fumbled because Carolina decided to punt?

Albany,n.y.
01-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Ted Ginn Jr. fumbled because Carolina decided to punt?
No punt and they don't make it on 4th & 4, Arizona is at the 37 instead of pinned down deep. Then no punt to the 40. No punt to the 40, no easy touchdown, no easy TD, no kickoff-no kickoff-no fumble.

It worked for Carolina because the smart thing to do sometimes is punt and trust your D. If you execute correctly you'll get the ball back in similar field position with 4 new downs.

That punt was the turning point of the game in Carolina's favor.

DynaPaul
01-03-2015, 05:29 PM
God damn it Marrone, let it go.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-03-2015, 05:30 PM
It's Ryan freakin Lindley qbing the other team. You wouldn't be so eager to give the ball back to Brady.

Homegrown
01-03-2015, 05:31 PM
It's situational ... I believe the Cards had about 50 yards of total offense at that point, with a complete dud playing QB... So yeah, Carolina punting made sense

Demon
01-03-2015, 05:31 PM
No punt and they don't make it on 4th & 4, Arizona is at the 37 instead of pinned down deep. Then no punt to the 40. No punt to the 40, no easy touchdown, no easy TD, no kickoff-no kickoff-no fumble.

It worked for Carolina because the smart thing to do sometimes is punt and trust your D. If you execute correctly you'll get the ball back in similar field position with 4 new downs.

That punt was the turning point of the game in Carolina's favor.

So, what you're saying is, be as conservative as possible and hope for fluke fumbles and blown pass interference calls? You do sound exactly like Marrone.

pmoon6
01-03-2015, 05:32 PM

That punt was the turning point of the game in Carolina's favor.Well, either way, it's just fuel for the Monday Morning Coaches. They think they can actually coach a team, so if the HC goes for it and fails, he's stupid. If he punts and relies on his defense to hold and get them the ball back, he's a pussy and doesn't take chances.

DraftBoy
01-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Already said above, you have the lead and an offense that literally can't move the ball.

Goobylal
01-03-2015, 05:34 PM
And 4th and 4 is a punting sitch. 4th and 1...no.

Typ0
01-03-2015, 05:41 PM
if you are comparing this to Marrone's ineptitude of that stupid punt there was under 10 minutes left on the clock at the time. And the other stupid ass thing about punting inside the 40 is you are likely to get a 20 yard net punt. Two first downs.

pmoon6
01-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Well Boys, the Bills' Head Coaching Position is open. Toss your hat in the ring.

However, living in Moms' basement, playing on the computer and eating pork rinds doesn't exactly look good on a resume.

Typ0
01-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Well Boys, the Bills' Head Coaching Position is open. Toss your hat in the ring.

However, living in Moms' basement, playing on the computer and eating pork rinds doesn't exactly look good on a resume.

I do not live in the basement!

Demon
01-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Worked for Sal..

Albany,n.y.
01-03-2015, 06:03 PM
if you are comparing this to Marrone's ineptitude of that stupid punt there was under 10 minutes left on the clock at the time. And the other stupid ass thing about punting inside the 40 is you are likely to get a 20 yard net punt. Two first downs.
I'm referring to the 4th & 7 close to the 50 down 1 score when WGR & this board went nuts, yet some of the same people love Chan Gailey who punted from the opponent's 34 rather than try a field goal.

Night Train
01-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Ha, lots you know. It' Lays cheesy garlic bread chips. :up:

YardRat
01-03-2015, 06:13 PM
My mom doesn't have a basement.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Carolina could have gone for it 4th and 30 from their own 1 yard line and it wouldn't have mattered in that game.

Arizona couldn't run the ball and Ryan Lindley has to be the worst QB in NFL history to start a playoff game.

pmoon6
01-03-2015, 06:19 PM
My mom doesn't have a basement.Attic?

jlgarsh
01-04-2015, 04:05 AM
Carolina could have gone for it 4th and 30 from their own 1 yard line and it wouldn't have mattered in that game.

Arizona couldn't run the ball and Ryan Lindley has to be the worst QB in NFL history to start a playoff game.

i wasn't able to watch the game...was he worse than Joe Webb from the Vikings versus Green Bay? Or about equal? I remember how terrible that was.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Attic?

Yes, but no food or drinks allowed.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 07:34 AM
Yes, but no food or drinks allowed.LOL!!!!!

imbondz
01-04-2015, 08:24 AM
It's situational ... I believe the Cards had about 50 yards of total offense at that point, with a complete dud playing QB... So yeah, Carolina punting made sense

Correct. It's always situational. Sometimes it makes sense like yesterday. The Cards set an NFL playoff record for fewest total yards at 70 something. They weren't marching 80 tds for the go ahead score in that situation.