PDA

View Full Version : Maybe bringing in Shanahan and Cutler wouldn't be a bad thing...

jpdex12
01-03-2015, 08:42 PM
http://www.nfl.com/player/jimkelly/2501579/careerstats

Jim Kelly is a HOF'er. His stats aren't much different than Cutler...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9597/jay-cutler

I was very surprised. At first I thought no way. Not crazy bout his demeanor, but he had two of his better years with Shanahan.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Comparing any QBs stats from the 1980's or even the 1990s to the modern day falls flat. Jim's best statistical season ever (1991) barely cracks the Top 5 in any categories today

YardRat
01-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Bringing in just one of them would be horrible, doubling down on both I don't think I could stomach.

jamze132
01-03-2015, 09:00 PM
I'm good with both

Mr. Pink
01-03-2015, 09:26 PM
If the defense performs the same way next year with Shanahan on the sideline and Cutler on the field, the Bills make the playoffs.

YardRat
01-03-2015, 09:43 PM
If the defense performs the same way next year with Shanahan on the sideline and Cutler on the field, the Bills make the playoffs.

LOL...plug in Chan Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick and you could contend the same thing.

Mahdi
01-03-2015, 09:51 PM
LOL...plug in Chan Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick and you could contend the same thing.

Except that Shannahan has 2 SB and Cutler has the arm to play in Buffalo. He was a top QB with Shannahan.

jpdex12
01-03-2015, 10:13 PM
LOL...plug in Chan Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick and you could contend the same thing.pff, come on?

k-oneputt
01-03-2015, 10:20 PM
We couldn't be lucky enough to get cutler.

We will be stuck with EJ, and if that happens it will be another .500 season at best.

bigbub2352
01-03-2015, 10:51 PM
I think if shanahan came in and kept swartz and staff thay coulb b nasty....I wouldnt mind mcdaniels either and same scenario

WagonCircler
01-03-2015, 11:43 PM
If I was compiling a list of coaches and QBs I'd dream of having, Shanny and Cutler would never be on that list.

However, when I compare them to having Marrone and EJ/Orton, well HELL YES I'd take them.

Elway or not, Shanny has two rings as a head coach, and Cutler, albeit a dick, has more talent than any QB we've had since Kelly.

When you look at what's available out there, the pickin's are slim.

Meathead
01-04-2015, 01:18 AM
its been so long since ive been laid i was looking at a street lady the other day and thought with a good scrubbing and a couple flea dips i just might

thats how i feel about cutler

HHURRICANE
01-04-2015, 04:44 AM
I like how Bledsoe, I mean Cutler, is somehow our answer on offense.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 04:56 AM
I'd take Cutler @ 5 million a year without having to compensate the Bears with players or picks. Shanahan is an arrogant ******* who I would want no part of.

Don't Panic
01-04-2015, 05:58 AM
Feelings about Shanahan and Cutler aside, this one's pretty simple. You either think we can make the playoffs with one of these coordinators and some unknown solution at QB (could be EJ), or you don't. If you don't, then you open up to the idea of a proven HC taking a QB he hand picked and combining them with a top notch D for what could be a deeper run into the playoffs. With Cutler, its a two year gamble. I'm on the fence... I completely get the arguments both ways. If we didn't have an elite D that was in its peak window, I wouldn't even consider it. But we do. I'd hate to take three years to get the O fixed only to find the window closed on the D. That would be a continuation of the cycle we've been in for over 10 years. Shanny/Cutler is the biggest "all in" option out there. Hard to dismiss it outright.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Feelings about Shanahan and Cutler aside, this one's pretty simple. You either think we can make the playoffs with one of these coordinators and some unknown solution at QB (could be EJ), or you don't. If you don't, then you open up to the idea of a proven HC taking a QB he hand picked and combining them with a top notch D for what could be a deeper run into the playoffs. With Cutler, its a two year gamble. I'm on the fence... I completely get the arguments both ways. If we didn't have an elite D that was in its peak window, I wouldn't even consider it. But we do. I'd hate to take three years to get the O fixed only to find the window closed on the D. That would be a continuation of the cycle we've been in for over 10 years. Shanny/Cutler is the biggest "all in" option out there. Hard to dismiss it outright.You make an excellent point. Defensively, we are one of the best in the league. Offensively, one of the worst. Small window is the reality.

Don't Panic
01-04-2015, 06:29 AM
You make an excellent point. Defensively, we are one of the best in the league. Offensively, one of the worst. Small window is the reality.

So does that change the thinking then? I was admittedly dismissive at first, but unless someone puts up something that trumps the plus side of this, you have to consider it. I'm sure this is what the Pegulas and Whaley are considering right now.

Night Train
01-04-2015, 06:34 AM
There is reason for concern.

Shanny is a control freak. Cutler is more fragile mentally than my youngest daughter.

I understand the angle but the pieces need to be tweaked.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 06:40 AM
So does that change the thinking then? I was admittedly dismissive at first, but unless someone puts up something that trumps the plus side of this, you have to consider it. I'm sure this is what the Pegulas and Whaley are considering right now.In the long term, Cutler is a mistake because of what would take to get him.

Personally, I dislike Cutler. He seems like a "Me" guy that never got the team concept, is a terrible leader because of it and doesn't seem he can change. He also has a tremendous ego which channeled correctly isn't a bad thing, but he seems to not handle adversity well.

In the short term, you are correct. Roll the dice by getting a good QB even with a downside. I'm hoping against hope that Manuel benefited by his time behind Orton, but I'm still very skeptical. We need to bolster the O-Line and get someone like Cutler to take advantage of the talent on the other side of the ball.

So yes. It does change my thinking somewhat as far as Cutler. I just fear that we will go all in with the guy and then three years down the road, regret it.

Don't Panic
01-04-2015, 06:52 AM
I think the Bears are definitely strongly considering him. They don't have our D though, so I wonder if that affects his thinking. Does he think he needs Cutler to be successful? Does he think he can win with EJ (or anyone else that's out there)?

The Jokeman
01-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Except that Shannahan has 2 SB and Cutler has the arm to play in Buffalo. He was a top QB with Shannahan.

and when do we get Brandon Marshall?

better days
01-04-2015, 09:13 AM
I think the Bears are definitely strongly considering him. They don't have our D though, so I wonder if that affects his thinking. Does he think he needs Cutler to be successful? Does he think he can win with EJ (or anyone else that's out there)?

I think the Bears would be better off hiring Rex to fix the Defense & get a good OC.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-04-2015, 09:32 AM
I think the Bears would be better off hiring Rex to fix the Defense & get a good OC.

Rex would be great in Chicago or Atlanta IMO.

notacon
01-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Comparing any QBs stats from the 1980's or even the 1990s to the modern day falls flat. Jim's best statistical season ever (1991) barely cracks the Top 5 in any categories today

That's because it's a different game today, played under different rules.

The best way to determine relative performance is to look at the stats in comparison to other QB's at that time.

That realistic approach has Jim Kelly at the top or near the top in many, if not most categories.

Your point is well taken. Comparing Cutler's stats to Kelly's is irrelevant and tells us nothing.

Of course, we do have an accurate way to judge today's QB performances. The Total QBR (http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr). I have used this metric on many occasions this year, and when I shatter other's lame arguments by using this realistic and accurate measurement of a QB's performance in relation to value of contribution to winning, the only rebuttal has been insults and name calling. The surest way I know this measurement is right on the money.

In 2014, Cutler did not have a very good year, rated #21. Not very impressive, but a major improvement from Orton, and now, what we have left in QB's on the Bills roster.

More impressive was Cutler's #7 rating in 2013. #19 in 2012, #16 in 2011, #22 in 2010, #20 in 2009, #4 in 2008 and #13 in 2007 shows a veteran QB who would be a very good fit for the Bills as they continue their search for a young, franchise QB. There are no quality QB's on the free agent market.

Griffen would most likely be fairly terrible. His QBR was #24 in 2013 after he splashed in his rookie year at #5. Sanchez rebounded in Philly at #15 in 2014, but, he seems to have all the bad traits the Bills need to avoid.

Without a first round pick in 2015, and, hopefully, not being bad enough to get a top three pick in the near future, it's either going to take a massively risky trading up scenario (like the Sammy Watkins trade but smarter because the Watkins trade was boneheaded to do for a WR), or, picking a QB in round 2 in 2015 or middle first round in 2016 and giving him some space to develop.

That was the plan for Ej Manuel, although he was not the right guy, and almost everyone in the football world knew he was not the right guy after the Bills shocked everyone with that monumentally stupid reach in 2013. More evidence that both Marrone and Whaley are morons.

We could certainly do worse than Shanahan. I would say he'd be a better hire than the last 7 or so coaches this team has floundered with.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 05:59 PM
lol..."Your stats suck, but mine mean something."

Mahdi
01-04-2015, 07:06 PM
and when do we get Brandon Marshall?

Yeah actually why not? Marshall might be available for a late pick and if you want to beat some good teams having 2 number 1 WRs is not a bad idea.

But I think Cutler would be better off throwing to some new blood.

notacon
01-04-2015, 07:57 PM
lol..."Your stats suck, but mine mean something."

:rofl: Typical ignorant reaction. If you read how the Total QBR is determined, it's not just "stats".

jpdex12
01-04-2015, 08:06 PM
That's because it's a different game today, played under different rules.

The best way to determine relative performance is to look at the stats in comparison to other QB's at that time.

That realistic approach has Jim Kelly at the top or near the top in many, if not most categories.

Your point is well taken. Comparing Cutler's stats to Kelly's is irrelevant and tells us nothing.

Of course, we do have an accurate way to judge today's QB performances. The Total QBR (http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr). I have used this metric on many occasions this year, and when I shatter other's lame arguments by using this realistic and accurate measurement of a QB's performance in relation to value of contribution to winning, the only rebuttal has been insults and name calling. The surest way I know this measurement is right on the money.

In 2014, Cutler did not have a very good year, rated #21. Not very impressive, but a major improvement from Orton, and now, what we have left in QB's on the Bills roster.

More impressive was Cutler's #7 rating in 2013. #19 in 2012, #16 in 2011, #22 in 2010, #20 in 2009, #4 in 2008 and #13 in 2007 shows a veteran QB who would be a very good fit for the Bills as they continue their search for a young, franchise QB. There are no quality QB's on the free agent market.

Griffen would most likely be fairly terrible. His QBR was #24 in 2013 after he splashed in his rookie year at #5. Sanchez rebounded in Philly at #15 in 2014, but, he seems to have all the bad traits the Bills need to avoid.

Without a first round pick in 2015, and, hopefully, not being bad enough to get a top three pick in the near future, it's either going to take a massively risky trading up scenario (like the Sammy Watkins trade but smarter because the Watkins trade was boneheaded to do for a WR), or, picking a QB in round 2 in 2015 or middle first round in 2016 and giving him some space to develop.

That was the plan for Ej Manuel, although he was not the right guy, and almost everyone in the football world knew he was not the right guy after the Bills shocked everyone with that monumentally stupid reach in 2013. More evidence that both Marrone and Whaley are morons.

We could certainly do worse than Shanahan. I would say he'd be a better hire than the last 7 or so coaches this team has floundered with.
Spock, is that you?

Bill Cody
01-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Mike Shanahan knows Cutler. He drafted him. And he knows he's a loser that's why he traded him.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Mike Shanahan knows Cutler. He drafted him. And he knows he's a loser that's why he traded him.

Shanahan didn't trade him, McDaniels traded him.

YardRat
01-05-2015, 05:56 PM
:rofl: Typical ignorant reaction. If you read how the Total QBR is determined, it's not just "stats".

Yeah, it is, and any stat that has Mark Sanchez ranked in the top half of the league isn't worth two ****s more than any other.